• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
lol Nvidia is a joke as of now. I'll start paying attention after they deliver, if that ever happens.

I totally agree. Wake me up when shit is actually out.

That being said if Nvidia ever gets it's shit together with CUDA for mobile watch out. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Pretty much. I'm just SO over promises. I don't care who they're coming from (though being nvidia makes it doubly annoying). Everyone just needs to shut the fuck up and execute.

3bYY9dB.png

Anyone know why this is happening? Happens every time I try to update an app.

Vanillalite

Keep trashing Nvidia. It's what makes them so strong, the way everyone likes to underestimate them. And before you know it, you're the next 3dfx or AMD.

We aren't trashing them, and we both said watch out if they get their shit together. It's just in the mobile world you get a lot of promises. Gotta wait till products are in hands to believe certain things.

This doesn't just go for Nvidia either.

We aren't trashing them, and we both said watch out if they get their shit together. It's just in the mobile world you get a lot of promises. Gotta wait till products are in hands to believe certain things.

This doesn't just go for Nvidia either.
it goes for everyone. Everyone in the tech industry not named apple needs to have these 2 words etched onto every wall of their offices as a constant reminder: Execute. Ship.

That's all that matters in the end. Instead we get: Sort of execute kindaaaa....and we'll ship whenever kthx 4 coming.

I found it hilarious when HTC said they'd ditched the multitasking button because nobody used it. I wonder if it occurred to them that it was their own fault because they had made multitasking in the previous version of Sense less than useless as you could only see one app at a time.
classic HTC annoyingess. They change something for no reason because they think they're on the pulse of what people really want despite the fact that they are fading into irrelevancy.

Keep trashing Nvidia. It's what makes them so strong, the way everyone likes to underestimate them. And before you know it, you're the next 3dfx or AMD.

Qualcomm aren't exactly like 3DFX or AMD. They are literally 100x stronger than both and much more diversified.

I like JHH, but with Tegra they have continually overpromised and burned their OEM partners. So much so that they have all run to Qualcomm for SD600. Why? Because they fucking deliver on time and performance is exactly what they promise.

For 2013 Nvidia are out of the race. Tegra 4 is done, it's too hot and it's too late, any OEM will use the APQ version of SD800 for tablets and SD800 for phones. T4i is less powerful than last year's APQ8064.

If they come up with the goods next year with T5, people will take them seriously, but I don't expect there to be many OEM's jumping on board based off official specifications provided by Nvidia.

classic HTC annoyingess. They change something for no reason because they think they're on the pulse of what people really want despite the fact that they are fading into irrelevancy.

They still make nice hardware. The white One X was beautiful. But they had that bizarre advert of that dude jumping out of a plane taking photographs. Because that's what their customers do with their phones. They can't market to save themselves. Sense might have been pared back, but in many areas it's still too cluttered.

They still make nice hardware. The white One X was beautiful. But they had that bizarre advert of that dude jumping out of a plane taking photographs. Because that's what their customers do with their phones.
it's sad because they're a company with SO much potential. Their hardware design is awesome, screens are great. They just keep fumbling on their own whether it's on marketing, shitty software, or whatever else.

it's sad because they're a company with SO much potential. Their hardware design is awesome, screens are great. They just keep fumbling on their own whether it's on marketing, shitty software, or whatever else.

I really hope the One does decent numbers for them. The hardware is gorgeous and the internals are top notch. They seem to have earned back some goodwill from the community recently. But word of mouth takes a while to snowball into big sales. It'll be their ability to woo people from buying Samsung/iPhones that will make or break them. Plus they have a resurgent Sony to contend with. It's a tough market out there.

Cipherr

Wow TouchWiz has some nice features we (or I?) didn't know about:
One cool option for those who use more secure lockscreens (PIN, Pattern, etc.) is the Auto unlock zone feature. You can add several "home" Wi-Fi networks and the lockscreen will be disabled when the Galaxy S4 hooks up to one of them. This way you can have a secure PIN lockscreen outside and a quick unlock at home or the office.

Another nice trick is the Quick glance option we first saw on the Galaxy Note II. It uses the proximity sensor to detect you reaching for the device and it lights up the screen that shows the time, missed call and message counters, battery charge and music track info.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4-review-910p4.php

Very very nice.

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s_ii...roid_50_others_get_stuck_at_422-news-5720.php

Galaxy S III and Note II will make it to Key Lime Pie 5.0 and possibly further. Galaxy S II will end it's life on Jelly Bean 4.2.2. Good news for members of the Galaxy Master Race. The GSII had an amazing run, that phone started on Gingerbread and made it to ICS and soon JB, along with the original Galaxy Fucking Note.

Somewhere, owners of older HTC devices are crying.

in other news, the LG Thrill 4G is receiving ICS soon and the G2x is still on Gingerbread.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone know why this is happening? Happens every time I try to update an app.
You using a Nexus device and use the clear framework trick to get the latest update?
If you did you need to delete and re-sign into your Google account again to fix this.

Vanillalite

So my device is in ROM limbo because of some DCMA crap with like 4 phones (mostly newer HTC devices) running CM10.1. Sucks hardcore. Makes me wonder what I should do.

Vanillalite

? You mean the websites you are getting the roms from have been suspended?

Took the source code down over some proprietary camera code. Git Hub has an established way of suspending accounts for shit like this so the HTC section of CM 10.1 is in limbo.

Some Deva still have old code, and who knows if people try to serve new builds on their own. For now no official updates though.

iavi

I'm down to either the HTC ONE, or the X phone for my upgrade from the Gnex. If the Xphone is a mess, I'll be back with HTC.

Loved the OG EVO to it's final moments, so HTC's always been good in my book.

Wow TouchWiz has some nice features we (or I?) didn't know about:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4-review-910p4.php

*reads*

One of the rarest modes is 360 photo. That's basically the same as Photo Sphere - it creates a spherical panorama like you see in Google Street View. Nexus devices aside, the LG Optimus G Pro has such a mode. There's a regular panorama mode as well.

yep, yep, they got it.

HDR mode is available under the name Rich tone and there is a dedicated Sports mode and Night mode. You can enable auto night mode detection if you don't want to toggle it manually.
haha, they better enable 'auto night mode' by default so they can stop taking unnecessary Ls in camera comparisons...

edit:

new pentile arrangement!

wa8cXyN.jpg

Cipherr

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s_ii...roid_50_others_get_stuck_at_422-news-5720.php

Galaxy S III and Note II will make it to Key Lime Pie 5.0 and possibly further. Galaxy S II will end it's life on Jelly Bean 4.2.2. Good news for members of the Galaxy Master Race. The GSII had an amazing run, that phone started on Gingerbread and made it to ICS and soon JB, along with the original Galaxy Fucking Note.

Somewhere, owners of older HTC devices are crying.

Mmmhmm... Its really not an accident that Samsung is doing so well, nor is it ONLY related to their hilariously excessive marketing. They have improved on alot of things. Seeing the Galaxy S2 make it to 4.2.2 is pretty damn neat. I think the S2 is nearing its 2nd birthday (EU launch) so thats pretty damn nice.

And people give sammy a hard time on upgrades. Seems they are the best of the bunch.

Indeed.

Cipherr

That is the best read I have had on Gizmodo .... ever, really liked reading that.

"I can tell you that when we release a new product to carriers, we can have it running in our labs for six months before it's released by the carrier," says HTC's Bamford. "It can take a long time." T-Mobile's Young confirmed that it is typically three to six months from the time they get the new software until it goes live. Simple addition, then, will tell you that it may be as much as nine months for that new software to make it to your device, and that's only if the manufacturers and carriers agree that it's worth devoting the time and resources to update it at all.

But Apple Is So Much Faster!

This is one of the greatest illusions in the tech game. Apple announces the new version of iOS, and wham! You can download it on your phone within a day or two. How did Apple manage to skip that exhaustive carrier-testing that everyone else had to go through? It didn't. It had to jump through the same hoops as the Android manufacturers; the only difference is that Apple jumped through them before it announced the update.

Sprint's Ryan Sullivan explains:

"I don't think that Apple is necessarily any faster, I think it just appears faster because when they're announcing the OS release, they're launching it. A lot of that is just because they control the platform stack, but they have the same group of people who are working continuously on the network integration pieces for their 250 wireless carriers across the world. So, while Google is announcing the software when it's done at the platform-level only, and then they allow OEMs access to it so that they can build that network integration layer. It appears that Google and the Android process takes much longer. It doesn't. Google just takes it half way, and then it's up to the manufacturers and carriers to take it the rest of the way so that it will work on a network.... I think the overall cycle from start to finish is relatively similar between iOS and Android, it's just the point at which the platform is announced."

Interesting. Wow at sometimes taking the carriers 3-6 months with a completed update from OEM's before they push it to devices. That's outrageous.

I wonder if one year Google will just skip a major OS update announcement for Android, and time delay a point release, just for the sake of lowering the perceptive 'time to device' update speed.

Digitimes says next Nexus 7 could use snapdragon instead of tegra: http://phandroid.com/2013/03/19/nexus-7-with-qualcomm-snapdragon/

Digitimes is now reporting from “sources in the supply chain” that ASUS could be turning to Qualcomm for the next iteration of the Google Nexus 7, instead of NVIDIA (who was responsible for the Tegra CPU found in current gen 7′s). Yeah, we’ve heard that part already — but why?

It seems it could have less to do with saving money and more to do with the upcoming Nexus 7′s LTE/voice capabilities. Apparently Qualcomm’s Snapdragon is just more LTE friendly than the Tegra 3 (something we’ve known about for sometime). So, why not the Tegra 4 which has embedded LTE functionality? Apparently, NVIDIA wasn’t able to supply their Tegra 4 CPU’s in time for the next-gen Nexus 7′s launch in May (to be announced at Google I/O). The part that really stinks is NVIDIA could be missing out on upwards of 8 million CPU shipments in 2013 because of this change, a move that NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun is no doubt unhappy about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom