• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Digitimes says next Nexus 7 could use snapdragon instead of tegra: http://phandroid.com/2013/03/19/nexus-7-with-qualcomm-snapdragon/

Wouldn't it basically have to? I mean if they plan to announce the next Nexus 7 at this years Google I/O Nvidia has basically said the Tegra 4 won't be ready till 2nd half of the year aka a couple months AFTER Google I/O.

Considering the S600 is already rather bossly I'd be fine with just that as it's not as if the phones it's already powering aren't 1080p already. Just look at the HTC benchmarks. If we happen to somehow get the S800 that would just be icing on the cake.

I worry about the price though as Nvidia tends to be cheap.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
That gizmodo article is good shit. Evidently, carriers see OEM devices 6-8 months before release. Att executives are in South Korea viewing the Note 3 at the moment. Crazy

Vanillalite

Thing I hate about that stance in the Gizmodo article is this...

I don't think that Apple is necessarily any faster, I think it just appears faster because when they're announcing the OS release, they're launching it. A lot of that is just because they control the platform stack, but they have the same group of people who are working continuously on the network integration pieces for their 250 wireless carriers across the world. So, while Google is announcing the software when it's done at the platform-level only, and then they allow OEMs access to it so that they can build that network integration layer. It appears that Google and the Android process takes much longer. It doesn't. Google just takes it half way, and then it's up to the manufacturers and carriers to take it the rest of the way so that it will work on a network.... I think the overall cycle from start to finish is relatively similar between iOS and Android, it's just the point at which the platform is announced

Then why do Nexus devices get shit pretty much within a month of announcement just like Apple? Don't tell me the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4 didn't work on a network, but they got updates within a relatively fast time frame.

Again it's not when the platform is announced. It's when that VERSION of the platform is announced AKA AOSP before OEMs go and try to shit it up with some random success here or there.

It's also why google wants to eventually move to their own iphone style device. Something they make themselves (probably with motorola) where they can get updates out asap and not give a shit about everyone else. That will be "android" while everyone else can do what they want.

Not sure what's taking so long. Inb4 pctx quotes this and says "x phone".

DrFunk

Then why do Nexus devices get shit pretty much within a month of announcement just like Apple? Don't tell me the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4 didn't work on a network, but they got updates within a relatively fast time frame.
Nexus devices aren't carrier subsidized, save for Verizon's Galaxy Nexus.

And you see how that went

Vanillalite

Nexus devices aren't carrier subsidized, save for Verizon's Galaxy Nexus.

And you see how that went

That has nothing to do with if the device is network ready though.

EDIT: I get what Giz is getting at, but I just don't agree with all of the logic that got them there.

DrFunk

It does if the device is provided through the network. Otherwise it works just like any other unlocked device - updates come right from the OEM, anytime. Is that what you're asking? I'm not sure...

Vanillalite

Again though Giz says

I don't think that Apple is necessarily any faster, I think it just appears faster because when they're announcing the OS release, they're launching it.

So is Google. When 4.2 was announced it launched soon after. The OS is launching. It is out there. Shit ton of people bought a phone with 4.2. Public had it.

Talon

The difference is Apple releases iOS on its terms as a software update immediately available to iPhones OTA or iTunes.

Android releases are at the whim of OEMs and carriers.

The difference is Apple releases iOS on its terms as a software update immediately available to iPhones OTA or iTunes.

indeed but when apple releases an update, it's pushed to ALL iphones. When google does an update, it's released in weird random bullshit waves. Just like how they ship their products!

Talon

indeed but when apple releases an update, it's pushed to ALL iphones. When google does an update, it's released in weird random bullshit waves. Just like how they ship their products!
Apple is consistently clear about its product launch dates/price points and punctual with its product launches.

Google is sometimes vague and sometimes clear with its product launch dates/price points and wildly inconsistent with its product launches.

Microsoft is consistently vague about its product launch dates/price points until the last moment and usually late with its product launches.

This seems true. Except for the XBox because apparently that's the one product that Microsoft is capable of properly executing.

HawkeyeIC

That gizmodo article is good shit. Evidently, carriers see OEM devices 6-8 months before release. Att executives are in South Korea viewing the Note 3 at the moment. Crazy

This got me wondering how there aren't more leaks out there...in theory, shouldn't people have been toying around with KLP by now??

Apple is consistently clear about its product launch dates/price points and punctual with its product launches.

Google is sometimes vague and sometimes clear with its product launch dates/price points and wildly inconsistent with its product launches.

Microsoft is consistently vague about its product launch dates/price points until the last moment and usually late with its product launches.

This seems true. Except for the XBox because apparently that's the one product that Microsoft is capable of properly executing.
it's why I said some pages ago. All companies not named apple need to learn these 2 words: Execute. Ship.

They all seem to have severe problems on doing them both.

Pctx

Banned

X phone.

What have I been saying now for 2 god damn years..... Updates to the OS thru the Google store.

Cipherr

I don't think its the 1 - 8 day rollouts that crawl up most peoples rear about Android updates. I rarely see people bitching that they had to wait a whole day and a half for 4.2.2 or something. Its the 4 - 7 month waits on other phones that annoy people. If other devices rolled out on the update speed that Nexus devices do, noone would give a crap. It would be a non issue, its more than fast enough.

Then why do Nexus devices get shit pretty much within a month of announcement just like Apple?

Because they aren't going through both the carriers 'hold and check' process nor the OEM's 'Skin and check' process if its an unlocked Nexus phone. The carrier has no interaction with my Galaxy Nexus, neither does Samsung so theres no hold time while the carrier 'tests' shit. It just comes to my phone off of the Google servers. This is allowed apparently by the carrier if its unlocked, but not if the carrier is on the hook for customer support calls and whatnot (I.E. if the carrier is the point of purchase).

Its possible that some carriers will allow Google to bypass the testing, and some won't. But we need to look no further than the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon which is just now getting 4.2.2 compared to my Galaxy Nexus that got 4.2.2 like a day after it launched for proof.

Of course it doesn't, its probably just the carriers bullshitting. But thats the carrier, not the OEM apparently, and not Googles release of the code either.

EDIT: I get what Giz is getting at, but I just don't agree with all of the logic that got them there.

I'm not sure I understand which part you don't agree with. The article is not implying that the OEM's don't add ANY time to the process, they are saying that the vast majority of the time added to the process is on the carriers end, NOT the OEM.

In other words, it may only take HTC a month to get a 4.2.2 update out, but once it hits the carriers, it sits for 3+ months in testing... Then Sprint rolls it out to their version, a month later we see Verizon push it out to their version, and perhaps AT&T never pushes it to theirs if they don't consider it a priority. I don't think the purpose of the article is to argue that an OEM's custom software doesn't play a part. It absolutely does, it just appears that, were it not for carriers, the updates would be twice as fast.

Again it's not when the platform is announced. It's when that VERSION of the platform is announced AKA AOSP before OEMs go and try to shit it up with some random success here or there.

Nexus devices get what? the ones sold by Google are just unlocked bring-your-own-sim devices. the ones that are carrier sold... Verizon Galaxy Nexus is getting 4.2.2 this week.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
it's sad because they're a company with SO much potential. Their hardware design is awesome, screens are great. They just keep fumbling on their own whether it's on marketing, shitty software, or whatever else.

No. Hardware is always broken as well. Batteries are constantly too small, non-removable battery and no SD card are horrible ideas, they don't have a clue what to do with buttons, and hardware problems around launch are rife.

They're so close a lot of the time, but they're never quite on the mark like they were with the original Desire.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
They're so close a lot of the time, but they're never quite on the mark like they were with the original Desire.

Just wanted to add this: the original Desire was an incredibly awesome phone. My One X is out for a repair (for the second time in a week - their original repair for a faulty battery included changing the motherboard, half the camera, and the SIM holder, and also broke the screen, hence the new repair) so I'm using my old Desire and it's still perfectly respectable some three years on. Not bleeding edge power any more, but the hardware's comfortable to use and it's perfectly responsive for most tasks.

Of course, HTC managed to screw up in some ways even on the Desire - internal memory is cripplingly small at times - but there's nothing that can't be fixed by installing CM7. Good job I didn't take the same approach on CM10 and the One X, though - would have voided my warranty quite conclusively.

I'm not sure I understand which part you don't agree with. The article is not implying that the OEM's don't add ANY time to the process, they are saying that the vast majority of the time added to the process is on the carriers end, NOT the OEM.

In other words, it may only take HTC a month to get a 4.2.2 update out, but once it hits the carriers, it sits for 3+ months in testing... Then Sprint rolls it out to their version, a month later we see Verizon push it out to their version, and perhaps AT&T never pushes it to theirs if they don't consider it a priority. I don't think the purpose of the article is to argue that an OEM's custom software doesn't play a part. It absolutely does, it just appears that, were it not for carriers, the updates would be twice as fast.

Here is a recent real world example of this. Xperia Ion launched in the US packing 2.3.5 in July and people in the US blamed Sony, however, the international version of the Ion came preloaded with 4.0.4 and launched a month earlier in June. The lateness of the phone and the older version of Android was down to AT&T's incompetence, not Sony's.

The Xperia Ion experience is basically the reason why Sony are now insisting on minimal interference from carriers, especially in the US. It makes their job of getting phones available more difficult, definitely, but with a killer device it can (and will) still be done. Xperia Z/ZL are the best example of how things can change. Both phones have launched with almost zero carrier branding WW and Sony are about to push down Android 4.2.2, without the branding, this update is relatively easy to push and it will roll out in 10 days. With Xperia S, there are around 35 software variants that all need to be tested and it adds about 6 weeks to the process. That is 6 weeks that nexus devices and iPhone doesn't require.

The problem in the US lies with the carriers, not with the OEMs, and it also lies with the FCC who don't regulate them properly and allow them too much control.

Vanillalite

I don't think its the 1 - 8 day rollouts that crawl up most peoples rear about Android updates. I rarely see people bitching that they had to wait a whole day and a half for 4.2.2 or something. Its the 4 - 7 month waits on other phones that annoy people. If other devices rolled out on the update speed that Nexus devices do, noone would give a crap. It would be a non issue, its more than fast enough.

Because they aren't going through both the carriers 'hold and check' process nor the OEM's 'Skin and check' process if its an unlocked Nexus phone. The carrier has no interaction with my Galaxy Nexus, neither does Samsung so theres no hold time while the carrier 'tests' shit. It just comes to my phone off of the Google servers. This is allowed apparently by the carrier if its unlocked, but not if the carrier is on the hook for customer support calls and whatnot (I.E. if the carrier is the point of purchase).

Its possible that some carriers will allow Google to bypass the testing, and some won't. But we need to look no further than the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon which is just now getting 4.2.2 compared to my Galaxy Nexus that got 4.2.2 like a day after it launched for proof.

Of course it doesn't, its probably just the carriers bullshitting. But thats the carrier, not the OEM apparently, and not Googles release of the code either.

The problem is the article states things explicitly such as devices not being network ready. I get it's the carriers bullshitting like you do. That's not what the article says though.

Just like the article says Google only takes it half way and Google doesn't release in an Apple like time frame. They take it the full way for Google's Android vision and then they release it on an actual phone.

I get that it's not on every phone, and carriers are the one's that slow down the process beyond the time it takes for OEMs to skin things. That's again not what the article actually says though.

The article gets to a similar conclusion we all get to, but it doesn't actually state the same things we are stating.

AdBlock Plus is back in the Play Store and offers now in-app updates, bypassing Google's update system.

Also, after killing Reader, Lifehacker is pimping their Google+ page now. It seems to work out for Google!

AdBlock Plus is back in the Play Store and offers now in-app updates, bypassing Google's update system.

Also, after killing Reader, Lifehacker is pimping their Google+ page now. It seems to work out for Google!

G+ needs to die in a fire. Why do I need a G+ settings app again? Oh so Google can remind me to use it. I don't even want to press the G+ icon in my app drawer so it will never sign me in in the first place.

X phone.

What have I been saying now for 2 god damn years..... Updates to the OS thru the Google store.

There's nothing stopping this from happening with the existing Nexus phones.

They just haven't done it yet. If they do implement the option in KLP, it won't be an x-phone exclusive, unless they arbitrarily limit it.

Also, what's the rumored unsubsidized price for the X Phone?

gcubed

They just haven't done it yet. If they do implement the option in KLP, it won't be an x-phone exclusive, unless they arbitrarily limit it.

If its a T4i its going to be pretty cheap

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
G+ needs to die in a fire. Why do I need a G+ settings app again? Oh so Google can remind me to use it. I don't even want to press the G+ icon in my app drawer so it will never sign me in in the first place.

Settings, Apps, Google+, Disable.

That's what I did. Can't stand bloatware even if it's on a Nexus 4.

mturco

Well for Nexus phones it pretty much already is happening. They just push out the update OTA whenever it's ready. So I'm not sure how putting the update on the Play Store would be better.

SimleuqiR

That is the best read I have had on Gizmodo .... ever, really liked reading that.

Interesting. Wow at sometimes taking the carriers 3-6 months with a completed update from OEM's before they push it to devices. That's outrageous.

I wonder if one year Google will just skip a major OS update announcement for Android, and time delay a point release, just for the sake of lowering the perceptive 'time to device' update speed.

Why? To make Samsung look even better? IDK. I think at this point Google is going to try and keep the "Android" brand as close to Google and Google Play as possible. Samsung seems to be eroding it with every Galaxy they release.

gcubed

Why? To make Samsung look even better? IDK. I think at this point Google is going to try and keep the "Android" brand as close to Google and Google Play as possible. Samsung seems to be eroding it with every Galaxy they release.

They need to release a device on their Play Store thats cheap and available. They completely botched the N4 launch and I'm sure lost a bunch of sales due to supply issues. There is no excuse for that anymore

SimleuqiR

They need to release a device on their Play Store thats cheap and available. They completely botched the N4 launch and I'm sure lost a bunch of sales due to supply issues. There is no excuse for that anymore

Oh I agree. If they had had ample stock for the N4 it would have been a huge hit in the USA. Close to N7 glory.

But it's apparent that Google will have to have a presence in hardware from now on, cause Sammy is just taking over. Not sure how big the potential for Samsung to have their own successful app store, but it is there.

gcubed

Oh I agree. If they had had ample stock for the N4 it would have been a huge hit in the USA. Close to N7 glory.

But it's apparent that Google will have to have a presence in hardware from now on, cause Sammy is just taking over. Not sure how big the potential for Samsung to have their own successful app store, but it is there.

yes, they really need to get in to bed with the "new" tmobile when they get rid of contracts.

Soooooo, maybe you will be able to pick a custom x phone lol.

Motorola advisor (and former Apple evangelist) Guy Kawasaki posed an interesting question recently via Google+: “Wouldn’t it be great if you could personalize your phone like this?” The this of his question referred to a video clip highlighting Porsche Exclusive, the auto makers offering allow for buyers to create a completely custom vehicle, from paint job to stereo and more.

http://phandroid.com/2013/03/20/guy-kawasaki-on-phone-personalization/

could be a BIG coincidence that he is just saying something like that but that would be a big coincidence (inb4 seinfeld quote).

Well for Nexus phones it pretty much already is happening. They just push out the update OTA whenever it's ready. So I'm not sure how putting the update on the Play Store would be better.

You're joking, right? People go into a frenzy every time they have to wait for the OTA to hit their phone. If they just had an option to download it directly from their servers, everyone would be thrilled.

Soooooo, maybe you will be able to pick a custom x phone lol.

http://phandroid.com/2013/03/20/guy-kawasaki-on-phone-personalization/

could be a BIG coincidence that he is just saying something like that but that would be a big coincidence (inb4 seinfeld quote).

Super granular customization may not happen, but I can definitely see broad strokes: color, screen, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom