• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

I have a transparent green Andy on my desk which I keep jelly beans in (just for decoration) and someone has taken half of the bloody jelly beans!

mturco

You're joking, right? People go into a frenzy every time they have to wait for the OTA to hit their phone. If they just had an option to download it directly from their servers, everyone would be thrilled.

Wait, what? Maybe for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, sure, but every other Nexus just downloads the update straight from Google, right? Or am I missing something?

gcubed

Wait, what? Maybe for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, sure, but every other Nexus just downloads the update straight from Google, right? Or am I missing something?

The VZW Galaxy Nexus gets downloaded straight from Google as well, they still stagger the roll outs over a week or two

I have a transparent green Andy on my desk which I keep jelly beans in (just for decoration) and someone has taken half of the bloody jelly beans!

they were just trying to help you get a better representation of the actual jelly bean percentage

mturco

The VZW Galaxy Nexus gets downloaded straight from Google as well, they still stagger the roll outs over a week or two

Ah. I've been running custom roms for so long I didn't even know that (and I have a Verizon GNex). Then yeah, I agree you should be able to download the update whenever you want. Can't believe they don't do that already.

Pctx

Banned

Yeah I just ordered the blue plush 6" Android guy for my desk. Its to keep me warm and fuzzy when this Android thread on GAF doesn't get new posts. :(

gcubed

Yeah I just ordered the blue plush 6" Android guy for my desk. Its to keep me warm and fuzzy when this Android thread on GAF doesn't get new posts. :(

if you actually randomly dropped some X phone bombs you wouldn't need to be comforted

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tech Crunch has a rumor going about how they've heard Amazon might try and sell a 7" Tablet at cost. This means a $99 Kindle Fire HD 7" tablet.

MarkusRJR

Okay legit fuck the Motorola Milestone. It is such a fucking piece of shit. The moment I get my new phone is the moment I escape from this hell.

Just needed to vent.

EDIT: Actually I have a question: If I get a Galaxy S3 today will it be outdated (not getting new updates, lots of lag via updates, etc) pretty soon? I'm so indecisive about getting this phone. I've narrowed it down to:

-Get S3 today ($500 outright) and have fun.
-Wait and deal with this Milestone for an undisclosed amount of months until the S4 comes to my carrier (it's Koodo so it could take a while; they only just got the S3 in November).
-Get an iPhone 4 (it's only $250 outright at my carrier) to hold me off until the iPhone 5S and get that.

I have no real affiliation towards iOS or Android so I'm gonna double down on whichever platform I get. iOS seems preferable though because I can get apps easily via itunes cards (I don't have a credit card). If Google Play supported Visa gift cards that wouldn't mattered though I suppose.

gcubed

Okay legit fuck the Motorola Milestone. It is such a fucking piece of shit. The moment I get my new phone is the moment I escape from this hell.

Just needed to vent.

EDIT: Actually I have a question: If I get a Galaxy S3 today will it be outdated (not getting new updates, lots of lag via updates, etc) pretty soon? I'm so indecisive about getting this phone. I've narrowed it down to:

-Wait and deal with this Milestone for an undisclosed amount of months until the S4 comes to my carrier (it's Koodo so it could take a while; they only just got the S3 in November).
-Get an iPhone 4 (it's only $250 outright at my carrier) to hold me off until the iPhone 5S and get that.

I have no real affiliation towards iOS or Android so I'm gonna double down on whichever platform I get. iOS seems preferable though because I can get apps easily via itunes cards (I don't have a credit card). If Google Play supported Visa gift cards that wouldn't mattered though I suppose.

where are you at? You can look at the Nexus 4, and Google has Play cards available in a few countries.

Pctx

Banned

Just needed to vent.

Get an S2 root, put CM10.1 on it.... profit? I would get a cheaper slightly newer/older phone and wait for the new ones this summer before dropping major bills on a phone.

MarkusRJR

Damn son that's like a 4 year old phone.
Tell me about it. I've been living with it for a few months now because I haven't had money to afford a phone after my Lumia 610 broke. The right side of the screen doesn't pick up my touch unless I tap it with the entirety of my thumb pad; even then it's iffy. I'm pretty much just using it as an email machine and a phone because it's so slow and ghetto.

I had a mini-tantrum because it keeps freezing now after long calls. It froze 15 minutes ago when I was talking to someone about something super important. I tried restarting it but then it was too late.

I'm literally so pumped to get a 100% working phone so I've been careful about what I get but I can't take waiting anymore. I was looking at getting a Nexus 4 but the glass backing would crack instantly. I live in Winnipeg so we have really warm summers (up to 35 celsius) and cold winters (as low as -45 celcius, although lately it's not been too bad). Plus I'm too impatient to wait for shipping.

Well has koodo activated LTE in your area yet? If so then boooo on the iphone 4 since it wont support it. Iphone 5 or bust. But not bad as a placeholder until the 5S I guess.

S3 wouldn't be OUTDATED per-se. And it will get key lime pie eventually. So it wouldn't be terrible. Nexus 4 is always a nice choice.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well has koodo activated LTE in your area yet? If so then boooo on the iphone 4 since it wont support it. Iphone 5 or bust. But not bad as a placeholder until the 5S I guess.

S3 wouldn't be OUTDATED per-se. And it will get key lime pie eventually. So it wouldn't be terrible. Nexus 4 is always a nice choice.

This! Just get a Nexus 4, and no worries about updates. :p

MarkusRJR

Nah the only guys with LTE in our area are MTS. I used to be with them but I only had 0-1 bars after we moved onto their HSPA network so I changed to Koodo (now I get full bars). It was actually cheaper to keep paying my monthly bill than to cancel my contract so I actually have a spare MTS sim card with service still going on, haha.

Wow I went off on a tangent. But yeah I'm not missing out on much LTE wise. I only have 1gb of data so I'm not sure I'd want LTE anyway. Is the Nexus 4 really that good? You guys are making it seem like some god-like phone.

Just curious but why not S3? I thought it was pretty popular and has similar specs to the Nexus 4.
I always believe that a persons first android experience should be a pure one, lol. Just so you're not annoyed by anything weird, or lack of updates, and so on. And it's an affordable device. And it's solid.

milestone doesn't count as android, at least not these days considering how different everything is.

MarkusRJR

I always believe that a persons first android experience should be a pure one, lol. Just so you're not annoyed by anything weird, or lack of updates, and so on. And it's an affordable device. And it's solid.

milestone doesn't count as android, at least not these days considering how different everything is.
I'm actually interested but as I don't have a credit card I can't pick up one off Google's store (I have Paypal but they don't take that). I checked kijiji but the closest guy selling one is a loooooooong ways away. Also, shouldn't I be worried about the back glass in my situation?

I'm actually interested but as I don't have a credit card I can't pick up one off Google's store (I have Paypal but they don't take that). I checked kijiji but the closest guy selling one is a loooooooong ways away. Also, shouldn't I be worried about the back glass in my situation?
well I'm assuming you won't be dropping your phone much :p

no credit card though...well that sucks. Guess you're stuck with the S3. Unless you can use paypal to get one of those one time use cards.

MarkusRJR

well I'm assuming you won't be dropping your phone much :p

no credit card though...well that sucks. Guess you're stuck with the S3. Unless you can use paypal to get one of those one time use cards.
I don't think they sell them in $400+ varieties. ;P

Oh and I heard it just happens from a contrast in temperatures, not from actual dropping. That's why I was saying it's not a good idea because of the crazy temperatures both ways.

So now it's back to the iPhone 4 or the S3. Do I want awesome now, or awesome later? That seems to the be the main point of it all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

They're still rolled out in batches that can take up to two weeks to fully complete.

I don't think they sell them in $400+ varieties. ;P

Oh and I heard it just happens from a contrast in temperatures, not from actual dropping. That's why I was saying it's not a good idea because of the crazy temperatures both ways.

So now it's back to the iPhone 4 or the S3. Do I want awesome now, or awesome later? That seems to the be the main point of it all.
pretty much. iOS or Android. Better phone now or later. Only you can know. dundundun.

gcubed

doesn't the 4 have just as bad glass that you have to worry about breaking? And the N4 will be much cheaper to boot. Its a really good phone that you wouldn't have to update for quite a while. The 4 is pretty outdated/shitty running ios6

MarkusRJR

doesn't the 4 have just as bad glass that you have to worry about breaking? And the N4 will be much cheaper to boot. Its a really good phone that you wouldn't have to update for quite a while. The 4 is pretty outdated/shitty running ios6
I've never heard of a case where someone's iPhone 4 breaks by changes in temperatures, only from drops. The iPhone only costs $250 at my carrier which is why I'm so enticed.

But yeah I'm really leaning towards getting the S3 now because it'll last me at the very least 2 years (hopefully?) and by then I'll probably want a different phone.

bah, i thought you can get a paypal card rather easily. I had one when I still used it
Not in Canada iirc. Even then I don't want to get one just for a single purchase. Way too much effort.

Talon

I've never heard of a case where someone's iPhone 4 breaks by changes in temperatures, only from drops. The iPhone only costs $250 at my carrier which is why I'm so enticed.
This is the first time I've ever heard about N4s breaking from temperature changes.

MarkusRJR

This is the first time I've ever heard about N4s breaking from temperature changes.
I've been reading up on a ton of cases which is why I'm so nervous of getting one. I was originally going to get one on kijiji a month ago but didn't have enough money.

There's a massive 21 page thread on XDA about it. I also read through a ton of other similar threads on different forums. There are also similar problems with LG's flagship phone too, the LG Optimus G.

MarkusRJR

I've pretty much decided on the S3 by now, but I have a few questions before I spend my $500...

-Does the Google Play Store support prepaid credit cards? I was thinking I could pick up a $50 card with my phone to buy some nice games/apps.
-Is there Chrono Trigger, Tiny Wings, and Tumblr on the Google Play Store? I really missed those on my WP7 device.
-Is there a decent podcast app that can stream podcasts over wi-fi?
-How do you deal with background data usage on Android? I don't want to burn through data accidentally.
-How do I transfer music over to the S3 competently? Can I easily transfer over my music purchased over itunes or is it a no-go regarding that?

Read that thread. Sounds like a bunch of FUD.
I've read enough threads with pictures on multiple forums to know it's not complete FUD. The first few pages of the thread are though. The later of it is actual stories.

gcubed

I've pretty much decided on the S3 by now, but I have a few questions before I spend my $500...

-Does the Google Play Store support prepaid credit cards? I was thinking I could pick up a $50 card with my phone to buy some nice games/apps.
-Is there Chrono Trigger, Tiny Wings, and Tumblr on the Google Play Store? I really missed those on my WP7 device.
-Is there a decent podcast app that can stream podcasts over wi-fi?
-How do you deal with background data usage on Android? I don't want to burn through data accidentally.
-How do I transfer music over to the S3 competently? Can I easily transfer over my music purchased over itunes or is it a no-go regarding that?

I've read enough threads with pictures on multiple forums to know it's not complete FUD. The first few pages of the thread are though. The later of it is actual stories.

the store apparently has the backend enabled for Canada prepaid cards... this happened a few days before it launched in the UK, so expectations are that it should be announced in Canada any day now.

i dont see tiny wings.... the others are there. (you can browse at http://www.google.com/play )

Podcasts - pocketcasts, especially after their redesign

BG data isn't going to be enough for you to have to worry. I use my phone quite a bit and i'm under 1G some times, unless you are streaming movies over Wifi i'd say you wouldn't notice the hit of BG data.

Is Google Music live in Canada? You can use that and pin stuff for offline listening while on Wifi to save your data usage. It will import playlist and tracks from itunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom