• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

what is "shocking" about that LG rumor? 16 GB max is a little "disappionting" and everything else sounds pretty standard for a top of the line phone.

I currently have 24GB free on my 32GB GNex. I'm pretty much all in the cloud. Storage is my last worry.

what is "shocking" about that LG rumor? 16 GB max is a little "disappionting" and everything else sounds pretty standard for a top of the line phone.

I currently have 24GB free on my 32GB GNex. I'm pretty much all in the cloud. Storage is my last worry.

I have around 12gb total space now and I'm constantly managing storage space. 16gb max is just not enough.

Edit: nevermind. Misread an article.

I always get the 16gb option anyway so most of that news looks great to me. S4 pro, and 2gb RAM, check. Now I just need to know the battery life.

malyce

Its nice to want things. But it has already been explained more than once. Google is not Apple. They do not have a god phone they launch every year. The Nexus will never be a "This versus the newest latest iPhone" sort of device. Its never been that way, and it never will because Android is not run like iOS is. Android flagships are launched by OHA members running their software skins, period. End of story.

Google is not going to turn into Apple and start chucking out phones through Motorola either. Thats not what this platform is. Nexus devices will have moderate hardware, nothing groundbreaking at all, they will be modest in price and run Vanilla Android. That's the draw, it'll never be a massive draw, and it'll never be the top selling Android handset, ever.

I feel like Debbie Downer holding a broken record, but still, its true. I dont see this approach changing as its done nothing but good for Google and the Android platform to date. I know people would love to have this 'Jesus' Phone from Google and Apple both to sit beside one another, but that just does not fit, the approaches to things are far to different with Apple and Google to do that.

The device is based on the Optimus G but doesn't look the same
Updated Android release (currently 4.2)
Quad Core Snapdragon S4 processor
2GB RAM
1280x768 True-HD IPS screen
On screen soft keys (of course)
8 Megapixel Camera
No microSD slot
8GB and 16GB versions only (at least initially)
Non-removable battery
Wireless charging built in
The retail name of the device is yet to be decided.

Things change.

Google is confirmed to be pulling a Nexus 7 on the Optimus G Nexus...guess this means we will get a 32GB option 4-5 months down the line?

based on current (multiple) rumors of course.

Things change.

The whole 'moderate' hardware thing is a misnomer. The Nexus brand was always supposed to show other OEM's how they could push Android further in hardware and software, and some aspects of the hardware have definitely been cutting edge in a consumer mass market product.

The Nexus One was not moderate when launched. It was either the first, or amongst the first to launch with a 1ghz processor. It was a higher resolution than just about every other phone at the time, except the original Droid. It had one of the first Amoled screens ever used on a phone, up until then it was pretty much all LCD. The hardware design was lovely. The RGB notification too.

The Nexus S was a bit disappointing, I'll grant you but it did include NFC in advance of ICS and now all Android flagship phones have NFC built in.

The Galaxy Nexus had a 720p screen! I can't remember if it was first or the Note was first with this, but that set a trend. Now all flagship phones have at least a 720p screen. No physical buttons either. Now yes, the processor wasn't amazing next to Exynos, but in all honesty up until this year when Snapdragon and Exynos are much closer, what was? The only place the ball was dropped was the camera, but again the Nexus set a trend of having cameras with ludicrously fast shutter times. Lets not forget that the GNexus is very very slim too.

If this next phone includes wireless charging and a 720p screen and a quad core S4 pro, I see no reason why we'd label the hardware 'moderate'. That's the stats of a flagship phone. I'll be interested to see what the battery size is and how slim it is. I fully expect that it'll set a new trend for wireless charging in Android flagship phones going forward.

Things change.

The LG Optimus G was announced in August, Nexus branded version will be announced in November, hell an updated - slightly higher performance - Qualcomm S4 chipset will be landing in Q1. 4 - 5 months later to market with high end specs, things dont seem to have changed that much.

tino

Banned
I don't see google picking Qualcomm soc for its the Nexus platform.

Nexus sell better oversea and oversea doesn't need Qualcomm's LTE radio.

Google can use nV's Tegra3+ for now and move to the next Tegra with intergrated LTE radio next year.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I can only wish the new nexus uses exynos soc. At least that way we could have some documentation. Qualcomm is the most likely soc to be used though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It'll be nice when finally everything just comes with a LTE built in so we don't have all of the current issues with wtf chipset is going to be used in phones and what's good because LTE complicates things.

I don't see google picking Qualcomm soc for its the Nexus platform.

Nexus sell better oversea and oversea doesn't need Qualcomm's LTE radio.

Google can use nV's Tegra3+ for now and move to the next Tegra with intergrated LTE radio next year.

LTE doesn't just exist in America. Us UK'ers are getting it in time for Xmas!

Damn what do you guys store on your phones. I basically just have a bunch of apps and that's it. Everything else is either in the cloud, not necessary to store on my phone, or on a different device (music on my ipod). I don't even pile on apps, if I stop using one for a long period of time I'll delete it.

I am pretty sure UK's LTE phones don't use Qualcomm's soc. Neither the S3 LTE, One XL nor Huawei P1 use S4, only the Nokia phones use Qualcomm S4.

None of that means that Qualcomms chips are incompatible with UK LTE and unless you can point to evidence that says this, I see no reason why Google wouldn't use them.

malyce

The whole 'moderate' hardware thing is a misnomer. The Nexus brand was always supposed to show other OEM's how they could push Android further in hardware and software, and some aspects of the hardware have definitely been cutting edge in a consumer mass market product.

The Nexus One was not moderate when launched. It was either the first, or amongst the first to launch with a 1ghz processor. It was a higher resolution than just about every other phone at the time, except the original Droid. It had one of the first Amoled screens ever used on a phone, up until then it was pretty much all LCD. The hardware design was lovely. The RGB notification too.

The Nexus S was a bit disappointing, I'll grant you but it did include NFC in advance of ICS and now all Android flagship phones have NFC built in.

The Galaxy Nexus had a 720p screen! I can't remember if it was first or the Note was first with this, but that set a trend. Now all flagship phones have at least a 720p screen. No physical buttons either. Now yes, the processor wasn't amazing next to Exynos, but in all honesty up until this year when Snapdragon and Exynos are much closer, what was? The only place the ball was dropped was the camera, but again the Nexus set a trend of having cameras with ludicrously fast shutter times. Lets not forget that the GNexus is very very slim too.

If this next phone includes wireless charging and a 720p screen and a quad core S4 pro, I see no reason why we'd label the hardware 'moderate'. That's the stats of a flagship phone. I'll be interested to see what the battery size is and how slim it is. I fully expect that it'll set a new trend for wireless charging in Android flagship phones going forward.

I've owned all 3 Nexus smartphones...

N1 = No built-in storage, constantly running out of app space. Thank the gods for Apps2SD. This also led to it getting left behind with the launch of ICS.

Nexus S = Galaxy S, which was probably the best all round nexus device at the time. The only downside is it launched at the end on the single core SoC era.

Galaxy Nexus = Shitty Camera, Weak SoC, Garbage GPU when compared to the iPhone 4S. The Exynos 4410/Mali-400 combo in the S2 that predated it by 7 months ran circles around it.

If the LG Nexus rumors are true, then it's the first well rounded Nexus launch. The only downsides being the storage and non-removable battery, but those are subjective and yet to be set in stone. It's also the first Android device that can actually match the iPhone in raw GPU power.

The LG Optimus G was announced in August, Nexus branded version will be announced in November, hell an updated - slightly higher performance - Qualcomm S4 chipset will be landing in Q1. 4 - 5 months later to market with high end specs, things dont seem to have changed that much.

The performance increase over the current S4 Pro will be meh at best. This phone is going to be a beast till the Cortex A-15s arrive on the market... around the Galaxy S4 launch.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Actually, if the GN had a good camera, there'd probably be a lot of pictures taking up space on there. 16 gigs is enough for me, but I can definitely get why someone else would need much more.

tino

Banned
None of that means that Qualcomms chips are incompatible with UK LTE and unless you can point to evidence that says this, I see no reason why Google wouldn't use them.

You missed my point. My point was 1) Qualcomm's soc hardware only shows its advantage in US phones. 2) Google doesn't need to pay extra for that kind of Qualcomm hardware advantage. The advantage the S4 soc offer is not important to the Nexus phones.

Also, Qualcomm has production porblem.

buhdeh

I live entirely on the cloud thanks to my Canadian 6GB LTE plan. I think I'd actually get by on an 8GB phone... lol. I have a 16GB + 32GB S3 and probably have 5% of the space used.

I've owned all 3 Nexus smartphones...

N1 = No built-in storage, constantly running out of app space. Thank the gods for Apps2SD. This also led to it getting left behind with the launch of ICS.

Which was a problem for all Android smartphones at the time. That doesn't mean it wasn't cutting edge for an Android phone on release date.

Nexus S = Galaxy S, which was probably the best all round nexus device at the time. The only thing is it launched and the end on the single core SoC era.

Actually, as an all rounder it was fine, but it was the least cutting edge hardware of the Nexus phones thus far.

Galaxy Nexus = Shitty Camera, Weak SoC, Garbage GPU when compared to the iPhone 4S. The Exynos 4410/Mali-400 combo in the S2 that predated it by 7 months ran circles around it.

All Android Phones have had shitty GPU's next to the iPhone. Even now, the iPhone 5 murders the GS3 in terms of GPU performance. The SOC wasn't that bad next to Snapdragon at the time, it just wasn't good compared to Exynos. But as I said, nothing was at the time, not in Android anyway. Google had planned early to go with TI and that backfired when it turned out that the Exynos in that generation was a monster. None of this has actually affected the performance of the device and that 720p screen was definitely cutting edge hardware as was the no physical buttons (sure this was also a software decision, but it was unique hardware design next to Windows Phones and iPhones)

If the LG Nexus rumors are true, then it's the first well rounded Nexus launch. The only downsides being the storage and non-removable battery, but those are subjective and yet to be set in stone. It's also the first Android device that can actually match the iPhone in GPU.

True that it might match the iPhones GPU, but I'm not sure we'll see any major advantage in the short term at least. I still think you are downplaying the Nexus One. I'm not saying it was perfect, especially given the context of what we have now, but it was definitely cutting edge on release, spec wise compared to every other Android phone released at that time.

P.S I've owned all 3 Nexus Phones too. Still have my N1 and my Galaxy Nexus.

You missed my point. My point was 1) Qualcomm's soc hardware only shows its advantage in US phones. 2) Google doesn't need to pay extra for that kind of Qualcomm hardware advantage. The advantage the S4 soc offer is not important to the Nexus phones.

Not sure I have missed your point, especially as we've now got a reliable source telling us that's what Google have went with. Or maybe not even Google, maybe LG if it's now more of a partnership program than just one phone. Why does Qualcomms hardware only show an advantage in America when it's benchmarks will blow away every other chip on the market regardless of LTE or not? Why wouldn't Google go for a cutting edge chip? They won't lose money on it, and the Nexus phones were never designed to bring Google huge profits. With the N7 they had to keep costs down to hit a price point that made an Android tablet viable enough to really compete for market and mindshare with tablets. This is not the same for phones, where Android dominates the marketplace.

Cnet said:
"We challenge all our partners that want to work with us on a Nexus product to push the envelope," Patrick Brady, director of Android Partner Engineering for Google, said in a Q&A with CNET

From the above article..

reKon

Banned
Nexus phones should try to set the standard for battery life then too. The Razr's are mopping the floor with that shit

How quickly we forget the Nexus One touch issues.

I don't think anyone is forgetting that, nor the radio problems either. Cutting edge specs don't necessarily make for problem free phones. See the iPhone 4.

Nexus phones should try to set the standard for battery life then too. The Razr's are mopping the floor with that shit

The Optimus G has a 2100 maH battery I believe, significantly better than the 1750 on the G Nexus. Rumour has it that 4.2 has better power management too. Guess we'll know soon enough.

reKon

Banned
I don't think anyone is forgetting that, nor the radio problems either. Cutting edge specs don't necessarily make for problem free phones. See the iPhone 4.

The Optimus G has a 2100 maH battery I believe, significantly better than the 1750 on the G Nexus. Rumour has it that 4.2 has better power management too. Guess we'll know soon enough.

What I want is some damn efficiency so I that I never have to bother turning off mobile data when I'm in a place with a bad signal. That kind of stuff destroys my battery along with the SUPER amoled screen. I'm using a 2100mah battery now and it has been plenty when I use the phone moderately. But, when it's high use and I play some games, it drains way too quickly. You gotta be able to do better than 3.5-5 hours of on screen time within 12 hours.

I want excellent radios in addition to this nice processor and nicer camera. I don't even care if I don't get 32gb (even though I have filled 21 out of the 28 on my GNex).

Google had planned early to go with TI and that backfired when it turned out that the Exynos in that generation was a monster.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the decision to go with TI because of the open sourceness (for lack of a better word) of it's SoC/GPU?

I'm pretty sure that's what Google bases a lot of it's hardware decisions on is that all the binaries have to be folded into AOSP, right?

(really not a terribly technical guy, so if i've messed up and rearranged some terms, let me know)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the decision to go with TI because of the open sourceness (for lack of a better word) of it's SoC/GPU?

I'm pretty sure that's what Google bases a lot of it's hardware decisions on is that all the binaries have to be folded into AOSP, right?

(really not a terribly technical guy, so if i've messed up and rearranged some terms, let me know)

Yes, to an extent. But also because they would generally choose to partner with a different OEM and handset manufacturer each time where possible. Exynos was in the Nexus S. Still, much of which company they work with comes down to how open and enthusiastic that hardware manufacturer is prepared to be. Tegra 3 isn't exactly open source but Google still went with Nvidia for the N7.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
N1 and GN made a big splash. I don't know why we're arguing they're mediocre phones when releases. The NS was a POS, though. Rebranded Galaxy S1 with NFC. I skipped that phone.

I hope the no SD Card for the LG Nexus is true. None of this separate storage nonsense.

tino

Banned
New Android milestone release should support multiple soc from the get go anyway. There is no excuse google only make 4.0 run on one unpopular soc. This is entirely google's fault.

But did you use larger? Like I said, I thought similar to you. Check my post history about the Galaxy Nexus size before it was released. But then I got the Note and after a week, well, I'm pretty content.

I'm not saying a large phone is for everyone. What I am saying, though, is that you may not be as against the idea, in practice, as you think. But that's totally up to you. It's not like you get a $800 just to try out for a week and then return. It's way more of a hassle so I completely understand.

indeed. don't knock it till you walked a mile in its shoes!

Futureman

hah! I love how the preface the article with "If you do not want to know about Android 4.2 then do not read this story." WTF! Who would be reading an Android rumor site and be worried about 4.2 "spoilers"??

I hope Roadrunner is true. It's really only thing I'm slightly disappointed in with my GNex.

hah! I love how the preface the article with "If you do not want to know about Android 4.2 then do not read this story." WTF! Who would be reading an Android rumor site and be worried about 4.2 "spoilers"??

I hope Roadrunner is true. It's really only thing I'm slightly disappointed in with my GNex.

feature spoilers! ahahahha

"fuck, i didn't want to know about the better battery life until i had the device in my hands and used it for a few days! UGH!!! GOING OFFLINE UNTIL THEY ARE RELEASED!!!"

I guess you might not want to in order not to spoil the big reveal. The iPhone 5 was so spoiled before release that the event itself was a bit of a let down compared to previous iPhone announcements because everything was known before the big day. If you don't give a crap about reveals, then fill your boots!

Project Roadrunner is the kind of thing I like to hear. Customization centre is also sounding promising. This month is going to have tons of rumours and leaks every weekday won't it. Sucks that the all things D conference is so far away.

Divvy

Spoiled? You guys are weird.

It's not a movie or anything plot related, so I dunno what could possibly be spoiled.

I guess it's just managing expectations?

high demand is a pretty great production problem to have!

nothing like coming back to this thread and seeing that new rumors are out...

it's like Christmas everytime

Games that only work on Nexus devices?? Those will definitely get hacked, but something about Nexus exclusives excites me.

Updated Video Player? Finally. Hopefully they start treating all the multiple formats as equally important. Especially the new ones.

Project RoadRunner? Nice. Wonder what "project" will be next.

Updated Google Now, great for noobs. Not really much more usage for an experienced Android user, hopefully other features will be added as well.

Google Play streaming?! Nice but they already stream stuff, wonder how that will change.

also love this quote from Android & Me:

Android and Me said:
The whole concept of a Nexus certification program sounds like Google is putting their foot down and taking more control of the Android experience. Even though the program might optional, hopefully the consumers will realize the benefits of a “Nexus ready” device versus something that is just Android-based.

EDIT:something new below...not sure how this "confirms" anything, but it does add more credibility to the rumor, but this is the latest from Android & Me:

Android & Me said:
For the past month we have been reporting that LG was making the next Nexus, and today Roger Cheng of CNET has confirmed our story. According to a “person briefed on the matter”, the LG Nexus phone will be announced at the end of the month.

We previously reported that the LG device might be unveiled in October or November, and we are pretty certain that Google’s Andy Rubin will have something to show when he takes the stage at AllThingsD: Dive Into Mobile at the end of this month.

SimleuqiR

CNET says the LG Nexus will be announced by the end of October. Still no one denies the multiple nexus rumour though.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...-of-the-month/

Android Police has found evidence of a possible Motorola Nexus:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...both-motorola/

I love the idea of OEMs creating their own "Nexus" device. LOVE IT! Why shouldn't they? As long as Google has full control of the updates, I'm a happy camper. It should give people more choices for vanilla Android devices.

And the rummer about better battery life? Fucking sweet!! - if true. Hopefully it's on the kernel level and it could be applied to older hardware. Though on the Galaxy Nexus the biggest battery sucker is the screen, not sure how they can fix that.

Divvy

I hope they bring their A-game hardware wise. The had damn well better.

Interestingly, I was listening to the Vergecast this week and they were talking about how the Nexus S was supposed to be a Sony device until the deal fell through. Apparently the Xperia Play was supposed to be a nexus. I hadn't heard that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom