• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep85

I seriously don't understand why HTC are losing so much money. They're making quite solid Low, Mid and High end hardware and they're not doing what they did during 2010/2011 and constantly throw out devices.

So many people are jumping ship to Samsung and quite frankly TouchWiz is WAY worse than Sense 4.x.

Samsung marketed the hell out of the GS3. Sadly, I don't think HTC can compete.

Hopefully they can stop bleeding away profits and at least remain stable, they make some great phones. And contrary to many people's beliefs, Sense is not horrible anymore.

Ocho

Hopefully they can stop bleeding away profits and at least remain stable, they make some great phones. And contrary to many people's beliefs, Sense is not horrible anymore.

I've been seeing a lot of HTC One X lately, specially in Hulu.

gcubed

Well, they did say they were going to focus on fewer phones, then released like 20 of them. They are run by imbeciles.

I agree.. Sense isn't horrible anymore, its just bad.

malyce

And its 100% their fault. HTC used to be android's top OEM, they could have been in the position Samsung is today had they not become so damn lazy... smmfh. I feel no remorse for any tech company that becomes complacent and lazy... RIM, Nokia, HTC etc. could all crash and burn and I wouldn't bat an eyelid(apart from people losing their jobs)... fuck 'em!

Google Finally Pushing for Tablet-Specific Android Apps

On Monday, the company published a “tablet app quality checklist” on its Android Developer website that urges developers to build tablet-optimized apps, particularly ahead of the holiday shopping season. Google also published a list of best practices for publishing those apps in the Google Play storefront, along with three “developer stories” that point out success stories from prominent developers who have already built apps that take advantage of tablets with larger displays. The Android team will also host a series of Google+ Hangouts and live YouTube broadcasts that will offer tips on how to build Android apps that look good and perform well on both smartphones and tablets. And, finally, Google will promote tablet-optimized apps in its Google Play app store this week.

And its 100% their fault. HTC used to be android's top OEM, they could have been in the position Samsung is today had they not become so damn lazy... smmfh. I feel no remorse for any tech company that becomes complacent and lazy... RIM, Nokia, HTC etc. could all crash and burn and I wouldn't bat an eyelid(apart from people losing their jobs)... fuck 'em!
I'm with you, I like HTCs hardware for the most part but honestly I can't help but not give a shit when these companies start flailing because they just don't get it, or can't execute for their lives.

It's sad that they think Windows Phone will be their solution. That will have to take some miracle.

Futureman

they were number one for a bit because they had the most Android phones out for awhile. They have always been a small company, there's no way they could EVER have been where Samsung is today. Samsung designs their own processors, produces screens... basically they are a massive company. Why does HTC have to be #1 and WHO CARES when they release amazing phones like the One X?

they were number one for a bit because they had the most Android phones out for awhile. They have always been a small company, there's no way they could EVER have been where Samsung is today. Samsung designs their own processors, produces screens... basically they are a massive company. Why does HTC have to be #1 and WHO CARES when they release amazing phones like the One X?
the problem with HTC isn't that they aren't number 1, the problem is they are LOSING money more and more.

Oh please, they don't think that Windows Phone will be their solution. I expect the Android variant of the 8X and 8S in the next 3 months.
I'm not saying they're done with Android, I'm saying it's just obvious they think renewed focus on windows phone will take them somewhere, when they can barely compete in the space that has a lot more market share. Questionable.

I'm not saying they're done with Android, I'm saying it's just obvious they think renewed focus on windows phone will take them somewhere, when they can barely compete in the space that has a lot more market share. Questionable.

Windows phone doesn't sell well enough for them to believe that they will be the catalyst lol.

HTC may not know how to run a company...and it may be good to be confident...but they aren't that stupid.

Cipherr

Nokia and HTC cannot be compared directly "yet". Although HTC's profits are down YOY, they are still making profit, and they are still in the black. They aren't actually losing money quarterly. They will get there one day though if they dont pull their shit together.

Some half decent advertising and fewer phone design lines would be a good start. 3 lines. Premium, Lower End, and Phablet.

Windows phone doesn't sell well enough for them to believe that they will be the catalyst lol.

HTC may not know how to run a company...and it may be good to be confident...but they aren't that stupid.
my point was they can't even get their shit together on one thing, and now they're spreading themselves out, which I assume they think will help them why else would they do it. I don't see it that way. Guess we'll find out.

gcubed

my point was they can't even get their shit together on one thing, and now they're spreading themselves out, which I assume they think will help them why else would they do it. I don't see it that way. Guess we'll find out.

Its not like they have to do anything for WP8.

Can you guys help? My gf recently got Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 at work. Thank God she didn't pay for it herself because...it's crap. I got the iPad as a gift. Now, I'm not an Apple fanboy, but damn, how Samsung wants to compete with Apple by having crap like that?

The apps are not responsive, PDF app crashed two times when taking calls on Skype, previously I got unresponsive buttons when using Tab's own Youtube app.

Is it the fault of bloated OS? Do you guys recommend installing a clean ROM for better performance?

Sorry if I sounded negative, but the level of performance is nowhere near a $400 device.

If you want it to be more responsive/faster then your best bet is to install a clean ROM on it if you can. Will it still compare to the iPad? Not even close, but it should definitely better than any out of the box touchwiz bloat crap there is now.

Link1110

Tepidly weighing my options as to whether or not to switch to Android rather than get iPhone 5. I k ow I'd lose my apps, but I do have a few questions that would be deal breakers

I've seen a stylus for droids. That's not mandatory, is it?
Can I easily text and recieve texts in Chinese and Japanese? I do this regularly.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Tepidly weighing my options as to whether or not to switch to Android rather than get iPhone 5. I k ow I'd lose my apps, but I do have a few questions that would be deal breakers

Lol no

Can I easily text and recieve texts in Chinese and Japanese? I do this regularly.

Yes and Yes

Cipherr

Ahahaha, nah you dont have to use a stylus. And you'll be fine on your texts in those languages. You will be surprised at how similar things are between mobile Operating Systems.

tino

Banned

You get a hundred more input options than what you get on iPhone. You may even find an input add on that let you input Chinese/Japanese/English at the same time. The one I use let me input Chinese and English at the same time (touchpal).

Samsung Nexus 10 coming

A Google Nexus 10-inch class tablet is in the works, CNET has learned.

The 10.1-inch tablet will boast a pixel density that is higher than Apple's third-generation iPad, said Richard Shim, an analyst at NPD DisplaySearch.

The 2,560x1,600 display will have a PPI (pixels per inch) of about 299, said Shim. That tops the 264 PPI on the 9.7-inch 2,048x1,536 Retina iPad.

"It's going to be a high-end device," Shim said -- in contrast with Google's $199 Nexus 7 and upcoming $99 tablet.

But probably the biggest news is the partnership with Samsung. "They'll partner with Samsung and cobrand it with Samsung," Shim said.

A co-branded tablet with Samsung would be a significant broadening of Google's relationship with Samsung. Google already cobrands the Galaxy Nexus Samsung smartphone.

Shim characterized his information about the 10.1-inch Nexus as "supply chain indications," which typically indicates a high likelihood that the product will come to fruition, according to Shim.

Shim also confirmed that Google is will start production on a $99 tablet in December.

CNET has contacted Google for comment and will update this report when we learn more.

elsk

Banned
I like how they confirmed the 99$ tablet without much buzz:

It's going to be a high-end device," Shim said -- in contrast with Google's $199 Nexus 7 and upcoming $99 tablet.
Perfect, haha.

wario

two more of the lg nexus
40370d1349746700t-lg-e960-pics-lg-e960-3.jpg
40369d1349746550t-lg-e960-pics-lg-e960-2.jpg

link

Ohh snap. So the rumour was true about it being more rounded than the LG Optimus G. Wish there was more pics and better quality ones. All angles!

elsk

Banned
^In those photos it looks like having some kind of "bumper/cover".

Hmmm... not sure if I like the design, is way too "boring".

Talon

People complain when the device isn't a black slab.
People complain when the device is a black slab.

What do you want!!!???

Honestly, I just want something that doesn't feel like cheap plastic like samsung phones. I don't care how it looks THAT much. I'm more concerned with things like battery inside it and also the screen tech/etc...aka no skimping on anything. We know the CPU will likely be very good, the screen will probably be between One X/Optimus G, but as for the battery and camera. Who knows.

What's with the first picture. It does kind of look like it's in some sort of case. Perhaps to disguise the real thing? Or maybe it's just an odd design choice. Maybe it's just what the guy who leaked it says it is, a prototype device. A little coincidental though. Guess we'll know more soon.

tino

Banned

This is significant news. This shows that google is willing to use top end hardware to the Nexus device

Also, confirmation of $99 Nexus 7? Google is not fucking around. This is full scale tablet war. Thermonuclear against the RT tablets and the iPad mini.

cnet said:
But probably the biggest news is the partnership with Samsung. "They'll partner with Samsung and cobrand it with Samsung," Shim said.

No. The biggest fucking news is the 99 bux tablet. LOL.

reKon

Banned
Holy shit, right after we complain about the lack of rumors, they now just keep rolling in. I hope this keeps up.

Divvy

What's with the first picture. It does kind of look like it's in some sort of case. Perhaps to disguise the real thing? Or maybe it's just an odd design choice. Maybe it's just what the guy who leaked it says it is, a prototype device. A little coincidental though. Guess we'll know more soon.

Hmmm, you're right, looks like there's a case around it.

Divvy

Why would some1 take multiple pictures of the phone without take off the case? Unless this is a PR leak.

Neither case I really don't care about a LG Nexus phone.

Well developer's units often have a case that is not removeable in order to hide the actual shape of the thing. I believe one of the S3 leaks had one on it too.

Why would some1 take multiple pictures of the phone without take off the case? Unless this is a PR leak.

Neither case I really don't care about a LG Nexus phone.
sometimes the "dummy box" or "skeleton" is part of the phone itself. Bolted on or what have you. Wasn't it like that for The S3?

edit: fuuuuu beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom