• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

I was unsure of this whole "multiple nexus devices" idea, but I've quickly warmed up to it. It's just...just...why do I have to find this out NOW instead of a couple of months ago when I got my S3? Don't get me wrong; I love the S3, but the quick updates aren't there, the beautiful stock UI and apps aren't there, etc.

So Motorola is in. That does indeed make 5. If we assume they will be named after their branded phones, it will probably be the Nexus RAZR since the Droid trademark is owned by Lucasfilm and licensed to Verizon.

I think we're all waiting to see what Sony brings to the table. I hope one of the Nexus phones has a fucking microSD slot, is that so much to ask for Google?

I was unsure of this whole "multiple nexus devices" idea, but I've quickly warmed up to it. It's just...just...why do I have to find this out NOW instead of a couple of months ago when I got my S3? Don't get me wrong; I love the S3, but the quick updates aren't there, the beautiful stock UI and apps aren't there, etc.
I would never get an android phone without learning about the current nexus situation first.

Then again I'd probably never get an android phone that wasn't a nexus.

I really hope Verizon carries one of these Nexus phones. I would guess it would at least get the Moto Razr variant. Maybe the LG variant also since the Optimus G was only announced for AT&T and Sprint.

thespot84

image.php

Red

After going through four replacement Bionics, Verizon finally agreed to let me switch to a Droid Razr Maxx. Any owners in here? Tips? Warnings?

reKon

Banned
After going through four replacement Bionics, Verizon finally agreed to let me switch to a Droid Razr Maxx. Any owners in here? Tips? Warnings?

Not an owner, but everyone I know who owns this phone really likes it a lot. You'll probably be very pleased. It's running 4.0.4, but it's nearly stock like in design and functionality.

I used to find my GNexus too big for comfortable one-handed use, but now after 6 months I can't help but think "Gee, this screen is small". But then it's the top and bottom bezel size which really make this a big phone.
I'd like a 4.7" screen with hardware buttons, or a 5" with software buttons. (Would prefer hardware buttons, never been a fan of the software buttons on the GNex)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm exaggerating. Also, a Nexus certification program would make Nexus phones far more accessible (i.e.: 10 Nexus devices per year rather than just one, from flagship models to low-entry.)

Zapages

Hey guys,

How is the Acer Iconia Tab A100 for video chatting through skype? Will it be easy for my grandparents to use, if I set everything up for them before sending it to them?

Sony "Odin". I have heard that it is a 5" device in the same size envelope as the current Xperia Ion. There are two SKUs in testing, one with OLED and one with LCD, the OLED is supposed to be RGB rather than shitty Pentile but Sony want to see how well it fares in comparison to LCD before going into full production.

Another area in which I have heard a lot of rumblings from Sony, HTC and some more minor OEMs is about updates. They are all unhappy with Google pushing down major 0.x updates just three to five months apart. They want Google not to push 4.2 before the end of the year because they feel that their phones currently on the market are instantly outdated and having so many updates penalises OEMs who make the commitment to keep the majority of their phones updated rather than just one or two top range SKUs.

Other rumours I have heard line up with 5 Nexii and Google relaxing the branding rules for Sony and HTC who flat refused to make Nexus devices if they can't push their services on it.

malyce

Sony "Odin". I have heard that it is a 5" device in the same size envelope as the current Xperia Ion. There are two SKUs in testing, one with OLED and one with LCD, the OLED is supposed to be RGB rather than shitty Pentile but Sony want to see how well it fares in comparison to LCD before going into full production.

Another area in which I have heard a lot of rumblings from Sony, HTC and some more minor OEMs is about updates. They are all unhappy with Google pushing down major 0.x updates just three to five months apart. They want Google not to push 4.2 before the end of the year because they feel that their phones currently on the market are instantly outdated and having so many updates penalises OEMs who make the commitment to keep the majority of their phones updated rather than just one or two top range SKUs.

Other rumours I have heard line up with 5 Nexii and Google relaxing the branding rules for Sony and HTC who flat refused to make Nexus devices if they can't push their services on it.

Fuck Them. Fuck Sony and Fuck HTC. It's a nexus device we don't want your services on it. If we wanted your services we'd get one of your shitty flagship phones with your shitty ass skins that takes forever to update to the latest android version. Make a Nexus device with stock android and google services, they way google wants and shut the fuck up. It's not like LG and Motorola wouldn't gladly take your places if you decide to stop producing android handsets. ./end rant

'hey google lets not push new feature to the users, it will make us look better as we are complete lazy fucktards in regards to new updates'

Now wonder both companies are struggling behind sammy. Fuck em.

Nicktendo86

No. I actually find the 4.65" screen on my Galaxy Nexus to be a bit small because of the space taken up by the soft buttons. I would prefer more screen in this case.

Agreed, first thing I did after installing aokp was make the navbar 30dpi rather then the default 48. They need to make the navbar scalable in the stock ROM, pronto.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
To be fair I think 5" is slightly to big, but I do think the Nexus is a tad small. The GS3/One X strike a good balance as they are just a hair larger than the current Nexus, and they don't have their screen real estate taken up by the software buttons at the bottom. I'd go larger than my One X, but only the extra inch to the GS3. Beyond that I'm probably good to go unless it's an actual tablet.

Red

Not an owner, but everyone I know who owns this phone really likes it a lot. You'll probably be very pleased. It's running 4.0.4, but it's nearly stock like in design and functionality.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just hoping it's more reliable than my Bionics, which suffered data drops and multiple hardware issues.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks for the reply. I'm just hoping it's more reliable than my Bionics, which suffered data drops and multiple hardware issues.

My best friend owns one because he wanted one with a crazy battery. He really enjoys it. He had an older Moto Droid before this, and he's been extremely happy with his upgrade. To be fair I think a lot of that is just the fact that ICS is so much better, and he lives in an LTE area.

malyce

To be fair I think 5" is slightly to big, but I do think the Nexus is a tad small. The GS3/One X strike a good balance as they are just a hair larger than the current Nexus, and they don't have their screen real estate taken up by the software buttons at the bottom. I'd go larger than my One X, but only the extra inch to the GS3. Beyond that I'm probably good to go unless it's an actual tablet.

To be fair a 5" display with on-screen buttons should be no larger than a GS3, perhaps even slightly smaller.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
'hey google lets not push new feature to the users, it will make us look better as we are complete lazy fucktards in regards to new updates'

Now wonder both companies are struggling behind sammy. Fuck em.

They have a point. They have many phones and thus updating them is more of a pain. That said, fuck them for putting out so many phones. Just pick a few.

Zapages

What is the best metro theme for 7 inch android tablets. This is for my grandparents and for skype. I think the large icons will be helpful.

Thanks, in advance. :)

The end of October is gonna be sweet. And I'm not talking about because of all the candy

5 Nexii.... Hopefully this changes the game for Google. I feel like apple is going to ha e to make major hardware and software changes to stay at their current pace. Just feel like iOS is getting a little stale. However functional it might be. People will always eventually want some thing new. Especially the type of people that go buy the iPhone initially.

Thing that also helps apple though is that iTunes ecosystem.

Pctx

Banned
Fuck Them. Fuck Sony and Fuck HTC. It's a nexus device we don't want your services on it. If we wanted your services we'd get one of your shitty flagship phones with your shitty ass skins that takes forever to update to the latest android version. Make a Nexus device with stock android and google services, they way google wants and shut the fuck up. It's not like LG and Motorola wouldn't gladly take your places if you decide to stop producing android handsets. ./end rant
Finally, someone after my own heart.

elsk

Banned

+1 well said.

Anyone know if Google is working on implementing task-synching for the native google calander?
Kinda bugging me, and I'm not really that keen on downloading an external calander app.

lol honestly fuck them

DXPett1

Don't think so. Doesn't mean this year will be the year. All it means is the details of 4.2 weren't accurate. Not the existence of 4.2.

If they are putting all this effort into a revamp of the Nexus line it would make sense they are no debuting (if true) without a new version of Android. The highlight would be the sheer choice of Google experience devices (and lets face it, with Jellybean Google can afford to rest of their laurels for the time being)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Have they ever debut a Nexus device without a new version of Android along side of it?

No, and they would be off their rocker to do so. Software makes hardware important. Who cares about hardware otherwise...

I'm always thinking about making a Nokia deathwatch thread, but if it continues like that, HTC might need one as well.

HTC continues to struggle as Q3 profits drop 79 percent from last year

HTC has suffered yet another disappointing quarter, as revealed by the release of its unaudited Q3 2012 financial figures. This is the fourth consecutive quarter that the smartphone maker's profits have been down over the past year's, although it has continued to turn a modest quarterly profit. It made a net profit of $133.2 million on total revenues of $2.4 billion, down massively from last year's $636.5 million net profit on $4.64billion revenue.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/3472590/htc-q3-2012-unaudited-earnings-report

JordanKZ

I'm always thinking about making a Nokia deathwatch thread, but if it continues like that, HTC might need one as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/3472590/htc-q3-2012-unaudited-earnings-report

I seriously don't understand why HTC are losing so much money. They're making quite solid Low, Mid and High end hardware and they're not doing what they did during 2010/2011 and constantly throw out devices.

So many people are jumping ship to Samsung and quite frankly TouchWiz is WAY worse than Sense 4.x.

Angst

I seriously don't understand why HTC are losing so much money. They're making quite solid Low, Mid and High end hardware and they're not doing what they did during 2010/2011 and constantly throw out devices.

So many people are jumping ship to Samsung and quite frankly TouchWiz is WAY worse than Sense 4.x.

I think people got tired of locked bootloaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom