• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

No LTE. I'd much rather have a faster phone if I already have 32 or 64gb.

Everyone hates touchwiz, because its the worst looking UI by a long shot out of all the android phones.

Btw if you think Sense is clunky, you haven't used Sense 5. It's the complete opposite of clunky.

I was referring to Sense 5.. didnt you watch that video?? Terrible. Touchwiz may be ugly (matter of taste) but at least its functional and makes sense... no pun intended.

it doesn't even mention how to change apps on the dock unless I missed it, which is so stupid. I linked to it in the droid life video but you can't just drag an app from the dock to the home screen, it will just create a duplicate of it. You have to drag it into the app drawer itself, and then drag from the drawer to the dock.

Here is the video of it and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k8ZeC5yuOKI

Literally no reason in the world for these problems to exist. Not a single one. It's small stuff like this that adds up and keeps HTC from having the best shit.

No LTE. I'd much rather have a faster phone if I already have 32 or 64gb.

Everyone hates touchwiz, because its the worst looking UI by a long shot out of all the android phones.

Btw if you think Sense is clunky, you haven't used Sense 5. It's the complete opposite of clunky.

CZ7zSTh.gif

Cipherr

I wouldnt say that I hate Sense or TW to be honest. I havent hated any of them since we moved out of the Gingerbread era.

They were god awful then. But Sense and TW got a lot better on the S3 and the OneX. Sometimes I wonder how many people really remember what it was like using those abominations on 2.3 phones. TW and Sense these days have come a LOOOOOOOOONG way from that garbage.

Groof

Touchwiz is an abomination of a design and should be burned with eternally burning fire. Sense is fine, but HTC are dumb as shit.

The worst thing you can say about touchwiz is that it looks like it's for 5 year olds. The worst thing you can say about Sense is that it makes none.

I'd say the latter is the bigger crime, but man fuck skins in general. Nexus 5 where art thou.

X phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
*Meh* Those criticisms of the Sense 5 launcher are completely accurate and completely irrelevant. As the comments to that article were quick to point out, everybody here is already using a replacement launcher, even those with pure AOSP roms.

@Cipherrr Samsung by their own admission is still serving their Gingerbread userbase by sticking with the legacy menu button. TW is disgusting ugly and Samsung's apps are horribly designed.

Has anyone tried the Infobar Skin that make a splash in Japan earlier this year? Incidentally it was on a phone made by HTC... Anyway there are very few skins that garner any amount of praise.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Touchwiz is an abomination of a design and should be burned with eternally burning fire. Sense is fine, but HTC are dumb as shit.

TouchWiz is fine. I have extensively used AOSP roms over the last few years, and I still go back to TouchWiz on my Note2. The customization isn't as good, and it is uglier than CM or stock, but functionally it is just fine.

Blackhead

Redarse
TouchWiz is fine. I have extensively used AOSP roms over the last few years, and I still go back to TouchWiz on my Note2. The customization isn't as good, and it is uglier than CM or stock, but functionally it is just fine.

But we're not talking about functionality. We're talking about design.

Hieberrr

it doesn't even mention how to change apps on the dock unless I missed it, which is so stupid. I linked to it in the droid life video but you can't just drag an app from the dock to the home screen, it will just create a duplicate of it. You have to drag it into the app drawer itself, and then drag from the drawer to the dock.

Here is the video of it and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k8ZeC5yuOKI

Literally no reason in the world for these problems to exist. Not a single one. It's small stuff like this that adds up and keeps HTC from having the best shit.

O__O That looks so bad.

Groof

Absolutely, functionally Touchwiz is great and software wise it has a lot going for it, but that's not the point here. It's the design aesthetic. Not only is it poorly designed and looks really, really REALLY bad, but Samsung have actually taken steps back with their latest iteration in the GS4.
Horrible.

If HTC just didn't force their MAD WEIRD AND QUESTIONABLE design choices on the users, offered more customization in general with their OS (like the option to get rid of the widget in the app drawer, option to get rid of blinkfeed completely, random vertical scrolling in drawer, things like that), and also if they weren't absolutely horrendous at delivering updates, they'd probably be the best android phone maker out.

*Meh* Those criticisms of the Sense 5 launcher are completely accurate and completely irrelevant. As the comments to that article were quick to point out, everybody here is already using a replacement launcher, even those with pure AOSP roms.

@Cipherrr Samsung by their own admission is still serving their Gingerbread userbase by sticking with the legacy menu button. TW is disgusting ugly and Samsung's apps are horribly designed.

Has anyone tried the Infobar Skin that make a splash in Japan earlier this year? Incidentally it was on a phone made by HTC... Anyway there are very few skins that garner any amount of praise.

the menu button makes sense. Google makes crazy decisions all the time, it should be pretty clear to anyone that they are often clueless about things, especially after 4.2, it's obvious they just push things out and hope someone else fixes their mess.

you can't talk about one and ignore the other, especially when the more important one is the one being ignored.

Absolutely, functionally Touchwiz is great and software wise it has a lot going for it, but that's not the point here. It's the design aesthetic. Not only is it poorly designed and looks really, really REALLY bad, but Samsung have actually taken steps back with their latest iteration in the GS4.
Horrible.

it doesn't even look that bad.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The color scheme and the fact that the quick toggles scroll every time you bring down the shade are the worst things about how TW looks.

The color scheme and the fact that the quick toggles scroll every time you bring down the shade are the worst things about how TW looks.

I know you'll think it's stupid when I explain it, but I'll explain it anyways. The notification toggles start in the middle and move to the left when you pull down the notification shade so the user knows there are more toggles and you need to swipe to the right to see them. In other words Samsung thinks you might be too stupid to realize this otherwise so this is their solution.

so, who's making the

HTC First |OT| Second. Third. Fourth.

thread?[/URL]

I would keep the OT's thread title simpler:
HTC First |OT| (Last)

Functionality isn't a part of design? Really? God I hope they design nuclear reactors so that not only do they look like they hold the radiation in, but they also actually do it!

I know you'll think it's stupid when I explain it, but I'll explain it anyways. The notification toggles start in the middle and move to the left when you pull down the notification shade so the user knows there are more toggles and you need to swipe to the right to see them. In other words Samsung thinks you might be too stupid to realize this otherwise so this is their solution.
they're probably right. That's the thing about touchwiz in general. It's designed 100% for the mainstream.

Unfortunately it makes things look a bit cheesy but what can ya do.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I would keep the OT's thread title simpler:
HTC First |OT| (Last)

Functionality isn't a part of design? Really? God I hope they design nuclear reactors so that not only do they look like they hold the radiation in, but they also actually do it!

I get why it scrolls, but it sucks and is distracting.

Blackhead

Redarse
the menu button makes sense. Google makes crazy decisions all the time, it should be pretty clear to anyone that they are often clueless about things, especially after 4.2, it's obvious they just push things out and hope someone else fixes their mess.

you can't talk about one and ignore the other, especially when the more important one is the one being ignored.

Get a iPhone Bada phone

Groof

It does, though. :(
Scrolling quick toggles is like an insult to users, telling them they're too stupid to get it. Bring up a hint on first boot and that should be it, or at least allow one to turn it off. Everyone I've talked to have hated the way it scrolls whenever you pull down the notification shade.

I guess I just don't want my phone to look like a headless bird with a crayon designed it.

kinggroin

Banned
Quite honestly, my biggest beef with touchwiz (outside its horrific visual aesthetic) is the use of non-scrollable, tabbed pages for things like the dialer and settings. An absolute fucking joke considering the sizes of these screens.

Also did they ever update touchwiz to allow for drag and drop folder creation?

Edit: fwiw, the S3 was the last touchwiz device I owned.

bob page

I've just enabled Google now, does it get better over time?

not actually sure what it's supposed to do actually.

I like it- it takes some time for it to start building information, though. I use it for checking stocks, weather, tracking packages, and it also lets me know when I need to leave for appointments given traffic, etc.

Cipherr

How does it know about appointments? Does it just check my calendar for the wood appointments?

Yeah it checks your calendar, if you have an appointment set with an address listed for the appointment it will have the phone vibrate/notify you when its time to head out (by checking estimated arrival time due to traffic) to make it to your appointment on time.

Itll pop up a card with a button to click that will start navigation to the appointment address. If you google search any sports teams on your PC it will also give you scores and in game stats for the teams it notices that you follow also. Same with watching movie trailers on Youtube (cards notify you when the movie releases and it playing in a theater near you). And the same for Google searching any stocks that you follow.

Give it time though, it will take a week or more for it to learn where you work and stuff. So basically just forget it exists, it will just start coming into its own after a few days.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really really hate the gray action bar. Makes GVoice and GTalk look hideous. Holo Light is fantastic, Holo Dark is cool, but the gray action bar is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom