• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it's a big update like it has potential to be, I fear for HTC and Sony owners. It will take them forever to get it, lol.

Well HTC only have two phones out (one of which they aren't providing software support for) so it shouldn't be so bad. Sony just took on a lot of developers specifically to get timely updates out so they should see a big improvement also. However, I will stick to my pessimistic view for now...

Well HTC only have two phones out (one of which they aren't providing software support for) so it shouldn't be so bad. Sony just took on a lot of developers specifically to get timely updates out so they should see a big improvement also. However, I will stick to my pessimistic view for now...
well htc doesn't even have 4.2.2 launching on their device and there's no word that it's even being tested? They're also notable for breaking promises so if KLP is really a big upgrade not just visually, I mean with the actual way the OS runs (which it's rumoured to be), I have a feeling they are in it for the long haul.

I want to believe for Sony it won't be the case, at least they're TESTING 4.2.2, we'll see if they can get it out this month.

well htc doesn't even have 4.2.2 launching on their device and there's no word that it's even being tested? They're also notable for breaking promises so if KLP is really a big upgrade not just visually, I mean with the actual way the OS runs (which it's rumoured to be), I have a feeling they are in it for the long haul.

I want to believe for Sony it won't be the case, at least they're TESTING 4.2.2, we'll see if they can get it out this month.

HTC went on record to say 4.2.2 would be out in "a couple of months" after release. However that was before the delay of the phone. Could be a month from release if, as you said, they don't break that promise.

What changes is KLP bringing exactly?

waiting for 4.2.2 also Sony plz.
if I were to guess I'd say KLP will likely move the whole UI the same direction all their apps seem to be going, which is grrreat. But I think there will be some OS level stuff, similar to project butter. Except this time having to do with battery life and the way the OS handles multiple running apps, things like that.

Of course it's all just rumours and speculation, but if it is indeed 4.2 straight to 5.0, it's likely to have a bunch of notable things. Jelly bean wasn't even that bad and that was only a .1 update.

HTC went on record to say 4.2.2 would be out in "a couple of months" after release. However that was before the delay of the phone. Could be a month from release if, as you said, they don't break that promise.
until you see a picture of a phone running it, you know it's not coming for a long time. Always happens when a phone is testing an OS update, the pics come out showing the version number. So we'll see.

too early to call... i'm still waiting to hear about more models... they got one and first, there are still other ways to claim that premier spot... and many months left in the year.

HTC Prime
HTC Uno
HTC Alpha
HTC Gold
etc...

if I were to guess I'd say KLP will likely move the whole UI the same direction all their apps seem to be going, which is grrreat. But I think there will be some OS level stuff, similar to project butter. Except this time having to do with battery life and the way the OS handles multiple running apps, things like that.

Of course it's all just rumours and speculation, but if it is indeed 4.2 straight to 5.0, it's likely to have a bunch of notable things. Jelly bean wasn't even that bad and that was only a .1 update.

until you see a picture of a phone running it, you know it's not coming for a long time. Always happens when a phone is testing an OS update, the pics come out showing the version number. So we'll see.

I say it will be like GB > ICS, i.e. fucking huge. To me JB just polished up ICS and made it usable. KLP looks like it will be a massive update

As for HTC, yes, there is no sign of 4.2.2 as yet, but again, with just a single phone requiring software support it won't be as bad as 2011/2012. I worry about Sony because of the sheer volume of phones they have committed to keeping up to date. As far as I know this is the list of currently supported models beyond 4.1.2:

Z, ZL, SP, L, T, TX, TL, V.

That's 8 SKUs and 4 different chipsets. I have heard Samsung have around 1500 developers working on OS updates atm, Sony have around half that amount and a similar number of SKUs being supported at any given time, so you see where the problems are.

Again, the list is only preliminary, I could easily all 2012 phones fall out of the list once they get 4.2.2, there will be a lot of complaints if the T family doesn't get 5.0 though.

Yeah I didn't include samsung for a reason, they'll take the least amount of time to update their devices. Still won't be fast but it won't be slowwwwwwwwwwwwww. Sony should just give some of those phones the official boot, at down the priority list. Focus all man power on Z/ZL. Then handle whatever is next when that is completed.

And yeah I also expect KLP to be a big upgrade, which is why I have this feeling some phones won't get it and when they do their next flagships will already be coming out within a month or two and launching with it, lulzz.

Ocho

It's funny how you can choose a random page from this thread and it's gonna be a touchwiz/sense/stock skin debacle.

Yeah I didn't include samsung for a reason, they'll take the least amount of time to update their devices. Still won't be fast but it won't be slowwwwwwwwwwwwww. Sony should just give some of those phones the official boot, at down the priority list. Focus all man power on Z/ZL. Then handle whatever is next when that is completed.

And yeah I also expect KLP to be a big upgrade, which is why I have this feeling some phones won't get it and when they do their next flagships will already be coming out within a month or two and launching with it, lulzz.

Well Xperia T got 4.1.2 in January and Z launched in Feb, 4.1.2 was 9 months old in January...

I don't think they should drop T/TL/TX/V until 5.0, SP and L are new phones and they still have around 5 SKUs that are not announced yet. Sony need to get a dictionary and look up the word streamlining.

This year they needed Z or ZL, Phablet and a 4" flagship all running on SD600, if they really wanted to push hard then delay the phablet to H2 and use SD800, but they really only needed 3 devices. SP and T are not different enough to warrant a new SKU, they should have just officially cut the price of the T to €399 or whatever instead since it would be one less SKU to support. Samsung have got that right at least, they keep their old flagships around to serve as cheaper phones once the next one is released. I can still buy a GS2 in most shops today while almost all have stopped selling the Xperia S.

Hey guys, I was offered an Xperia Z for a relatively cheap trade in price, right now I'm using a Galaxy Nexus. I care very much about stock Android but otherwise I like the Xperia's screen, spec and definitely the better battery. The only problem I can think of upgrading is really late updates and having problems with the skin. Should I upgrade or not? Would you?

speaking of Samsung... even their prepaid Galaxy SII on Virgin Mobile USA got Jellybean now!

LG G2x: still on Gingerbread
Sony Xperia Play: still on Gingerbread

Hey guys, I was offered an Xperia Z for a relatively cheap trade in price, right now I'm using a Galaxy Nexus. I care very much about stock Android but otherwise I like the Xperia's screen, spec and definitely the better battery. The only problem I can think of upgrading is really late updates and having problems with the skin. Should I upgrade or not? Would you?

if you care that much about stock Android, get a Nexus 4.
OTHERWISE GET THE Z!!!

If you are really worried then get a Nexus 4, but Xperia Z already has a working port of CM10.1 out the camera doesn't work though and as ever with CM there is no ETA.

Sony in terms of support are one of the best OEMs, but they aren't fast. They have talked about faster updates a lot recently but have yet to deliver 4.2.2 for Z/ZL even though Z has been out for a month already. I have heard the ETA isn't that far away, but then again the same person has been saying that since the middle of March. :/

Oh hey what's this

1w1feiG.png

Oh hey what's this

1w1feiG.png

Ugh, I was getting into the idea of Google just buying WhatsApp and keeping the subscription fee. Babel sounds like it's going to be a complete clusterfuck tbh, also it's something the carriers will try and block at every turn, but they won't be able to block WhatsApp as there will be too many complaints if users aren't able to install what is basically the default cross platform messaging app.

Thanks for the advice, I know someone who owns one I will use it for a bit and judge later. I must admit the better battery is such a huge advantage for me right now.

gcubed

Ugh, I was getting into the idea of Google just buying WhatsApp and keeping the subscription fee. Babel sounds like it's going to be a complete clusterfuck tbh, also it's something the carriers will try and block at every turn, but they won't be able to block WhatsApp as there will be too many complaints if users aren't able to install what is basically the default cross platform messaging app.

no one is going to block Babel. Why would you think its a clusterfuck?

Trike

So, last month I got the Jellybean update for my Motorola Droid 4. It has ruined my phone and I don't know what to do. Here are the problems I am having.

• The "Symbol" key doesn't work on the browser, and sometimes in other places
  • The "shift" key doesn't work in most places like it used to. I now need to hold it down in order to capitalize.
  • Auto-capitalization is now spotty at best
  • When hitting backspace to delete text, many time it will completely ruin everything. For example, I type of the sentence "I was walking to the store." and I start to delete store, and then the sentence becomes "I was walking to the stIwaswalkingtothestore" and/or it starts deleting/typing in a completely different area in the text box.
  • Screen no longer auto-rotates on the home screen. Only if I slide out the keyboard.

I already tried a factory reset and it didn't seem to help any.

So, last month I got the Jellybean update for my Motorola Droid 4. It has ruined my phone and I don't know what to do. Here are the problems I am having.

• The "shift" key doesn't work in most places like it used to. I now need to hold it down in order to capitalize.
  • When hitting backspace to delete text, many time it will completely ruin everything. For example, I type of the sentence "I was walking to the store." and I start to delete store, and then the sentence becomes "I was walking to the stIwaswalkingtothestore" and/or it starts deleting/typing in a completely different area in the text box.
  • Screen no longer auto-rotates on the home screen. Only if I slide out the keyboard.

Contact vrz. Maybe they can get you a ics d4

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So Amazon has a bunch of decent deals for upgrading. I've got a piece of shit Revolution that's too thick, runs slow, and has terrible battery life.

They've got S III's for 50 with a new contract. Maybe worth it? The only problem is it wouldn't get to me until May. I know IV is in the works, but 50's not bad considering I don't use phones that much but would like something that's pleasant to use when I use it.

bob page

Is there a better way to manage photos than the stock 4.2 gallery? It's pretty awful. I have like 5 different folders for Instagram, Snapseed, etc, and nothing is really organized in one unified place.

Speaking of which, is there a way to disable Instagram to saving a filtered copy of every photo now? I can't find the setting anymore, unless they disabled that.

sounds like you should be in a Verizon store showing an employee those things. they should replace your phone on the spot.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Amazon has a bunch of decent deals for upgrading. I've got a piece of shit Revolution that's too thick, runs slow, and has terrible battery life.

They've got S III's for 50 with a new contract. Maybe worth it? The only problem is it wouldn't get to me until May. I know IV is in the works, but 50's not bad considering I don't use phones that much but would like something that's pleasant to use when I use it.

You can get the Note II for $100. Get that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Also what carrier are you on?

Looks like Verizon. Droid Razr M is a good device too. Runs 4.1 and is smaller.
what's the list of phones, is there one? Either way the S3 is a can't go wrong choice, but the razr M might be just fine for you considering it's compactness and whatnot, especially since you said you don't use it much.

Just tried the Xperia Z for an hour, personally I've never seen such a bad screen on a high end phone before. Strangely though, games look fine and actually litte better than AMOLED in some cases. Movies and pictures look incredible in that Bravia Engine.

Phone is blazingly fast. Skin is alright, nothing that gets in the way. Wish it already had 4.2 though, I wonder how they'll do lockscreen widgets.

vivftp

Just tried the Xperia Z for an hour, personally I've never seen such a bad screen on a high end phone before. Strangely though, games look fine and actually litte better than AMOLED in some cases. Movies and pictures look incredible in that Bravia Engine.

Phone is blazingly fast. Skin is alright, nothing that gets in the way. Wish it already had 4.2 though, I wonder how they'll do lockscreen widgets.

So what part of the screen was bad? If you're saying games, photos and videos looked great, then are you sure it wasn't just the grey UI that looked bad?

The Mrs' Xperia T has a brilliant screen on it, better than my Nexus 4...... providing your looking directly at it. From what I saw, the Xperia Z is about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom