• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

so facebook home leaked. its actually pretty cool, in that it doesn't look absolutely awful. it uses cover images for status updates and those tend to be fairly high res and nice looking.

also like the idea of having a special app launcher page for your favourites rather than having a giant list of them, since thats they way i tend to use my home page.

theres no weather though :S it doesnt feel like android.

if people mod it so that it can display email app emails and weather along with the time on unlock, and get rid of the stupid status update/check in shortcuts in the app launcher it would be pretty sweet.

antispin

so facebook home leaked. its actually pretty cool, in that it doesn't look absolutely awful. it uses cover images for status updates and those tend to be fairly high res and nice looking.

also like the idea of having a special app launcher page for your favourites rather than having a giant list of them, since thats they way i tend to use my home page.

if people mod it so that it can display email app emails and weather along with the time on unlock, and get rid of the stupid status update/check in shortcuts in the app launcher it would be pretty sweet.

Can you mirror the APKs pls? The Mega links aren't working for me

Nicktendo86

It has arrived at the wrong time for me as, for the first time since 2007 when I opened my account, I am so fed up with Facebook I am seriously thinking about just leaving it. Fed up with it.

panda21

Can you mirror the APKs pls? The Mega links aren't working for me

the links in the modaco page linked from the verge work fine for me. I don't want to repost it incase Zuckerberg comes round and slaps me.

oh and that rumour about not being able to read your other notifications except on the htc phone seems wrong. i can pull down the notification bar just fine from wherever. unless they meant something else

antispin

the links in the modaco page linked from the verge work fine for me. I don't want to repost it incase Zuckerberg comes round and slaps me.

oh and that rumour about not being able to read your other notifications except on the htc phone seems wrong. i can pull down the notification bar just fine from wherever. unless they meant something else

Strange. Not working here.

As for that rumour -- not sure why this rumour was? First I heard of it. Home is basically a launcher for non-First phones, so it behaves like one and the Android notification would work as per the norm. The First handles notifications differently though.

It's amusing how Facebook is trying their hardest to avoid any Android branding in their commercials. Zuckerberg said they didn't make only a FB phone because even with success they'd still only be a small percentage of the mobile phone market. They made an android app because it gives them a very large base. After all that they're still too ashamed to inform the target market they can download and install FB Home on their own phones.

panda21

As for that rumour -- not sure why this rumour was? First I heard of it. Home is basically a launcher for non-First phones, so it behaves like one and the Android notification would work as per the norm. The First handles notifications differently though.

i think i must have misread a headline, it seems that facebook home can display all your notifications on the lock/homescreen, but only on the first.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/04/facebook-htc-modified-android/

like i just got a gmail and theres no indication of it anywhere on screen unless i pull down the notification bar.

i think on non-first devices you only get facebook messages and sms on your lockscreen

tino

Banned
I am looking at this Facebook shit. This is only good for one thing, if you are a photography enthusiast you can create an alternate facebook account and use it to follow noted portrait photographers, or things like Esquire magazine. In face I have a live wallpaper app that does the similar, its called FlickrLive! Pro.

I wonder if the cover flew still work if I enable pattern lock.

I am not going to let my friends ugly ass photos cover my whole screen.

gcubed

I am looking at this Facebook shit. This is only good for one thing, if you are a photography enthusiast you can create an alternate facebook account and use it to follow noted portrait photographers, or things like Esquire magazine. In face I have a live wallpaper app that does the similar, its called FlickrLive! Pro.

I wonder if the cover flew still work if I enable pattern lock.

I am not going to let my friends ugly ass photos cover my whole screen.

if you are a photography enthusiast you aren't using facebook anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
if you are a photography enthusiast you aren't using facebook anyway.

True dat.

EWmof.gif
G+ Photos.
p0QHO.gif

Speaking of KLP earlier, I hope it brings improvements to the way Android handles multiple audio sources. It's very bad right now and except for YouTube many video apps have no problem running a song over the video's audio.

buhdeh

I know everyone hates HTC here but BGR and The Verge both reviewed the AT&T LTE HTC One and love it.

The Verge review seem to think it's a superior product to the S4:

We still have yet to see how Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S4 fares in the real world, but as it stands right now, HTC has a much more compelling device in my eyes. I just hope that the company and its apparently superior product will be able to withstand the marketing and mindshare onslaught that Samsung has planned for this year.

I don't think anyone here hates HTC, they just do things that bug people. And I bet anyone 100 e-rupees they give the S4 a higher review than the One.

I still say it's a hot phone.

Talon

The Engadget Show had a pretty good conversation about the One two episodes ago. Ryan Block was mostly talking about how the press will likely be more effusive of the One compared to the general public because of the fit and finish, and they had a pretty open conversation about whether it was problematic or not that the press views phones differently than consumers because the way they go through them (using a phone for maybe 6 months and then using another device, as opposed to most people being on two year contracts).

Then they talked about the phones their parents used, and somebody's mom had just purchased an iPhone 4 instead of paying for a newer device, which they thought made sense for someone just getting a smartphone. Which is, honestly, probably fair if you don't want to pay (upfront) for a device.

Block straight-up said he believed the One was the best smartphone hardware he's ever held and used, which surprised me because he's usually the most restrained (read: jaded) of anyone in the tech media outside of Chris Andersen.

If there's a John C. Dvorak (0) to Leo Laporte (10) scale of gadget enthusiasm, Block would be at 1.

*Ryan Block - founded Engadget with Peter Rojas back in the Calicanis days, and then they both founded Gdgt.

The Engadget Show had a pretty good conversation about the One two episodes ago. Ryan Block was mostly talking about how the press will likely be more effusive of the One compared to the general public because of the fit and finish
add to that the fact that HTC is the darling/underdog, and people just gravitate towards those things.

I know everyone hates HTC here but BGR and The Verge both reviewed the AT&T LTE HTC One and love it.

The Verge review seem to think it's a superior product to the S4:

it's the Verge. they gave the Nexus 4 the same photo score as the Lumia 920 and the same battery score as the Note 2. it's almost as if making a phone out of metal or glass gives it better scores in unrelated areas...

I don't think anyone here hates HTC, they just do things that bug people. And I bet anyone 100 e-rupees they give the S4 a higher review than the One.

i would not bet on that.

Too bad that doesn't translate into sales.

RIP X Phone.
lol x phone will be the hero we deserve and need. Sales shmales.

it's the Verge. they gave the Nexus 4 the same photo score as the Lumia 920 and the same battery score as the Note 2. it's almost as if making a phone out of metal or glass gives it better scores in unrelated areas...

i would not bet on that.
well I WOULD. They gave the S3 an 8.5 and the S4 is better in literally every single way possible. I say it gets 8.8'd.

gcubed

we kill them because they haven't learned from their mistakes. They continually make the same mistakes, and it makes people a bit more vocal in their distaste... that along with the fact that they are really close to an amazing phone gets people more upset to pick on small things that shouldn't be problems in 2013

we kill them because they haven't learned from their mistakes. They continually make the same mistakes, and it makes people a bit more vocal in their distaste... that along with the fact that they are really close to an amazing phone gets people more upset to pick on small things that shouldn't be problems in 2013
that's what does it for me. So much potential and it's just disappointing.

Would be funny if a month from now I'm using an HTC One.

that's what does it for me. So much potential and it's just disappointing.

Would be funny if a month from now I'm using an HTC One.

wouldn't be that amazing. if you don't want a removable battery, only need facebook quality photos, are confused by sd cards and don't care for those amazing touchwiz features like S Scroll, the HTC One is a great choice.

BOOMSOUND!

I go where the better battery goes :(

It's funny because in the end I'm very likely only going to use the phone until the nexus 5 comes out at which point I'll sell it for that. Unless it disappoints, then I'll just keep whatever I use my upgrade on.

Unless....you know....

Blackhead

Redarse
we kill them because they haven't learned from their mistakes. They continually make the same mistakes, and it makes people a bit more vocal in their distaste that along with the fact that they are really close to an amazing phone gets people more upset to pick on small things that shouldn't be problems in 2013

All the other Android OEMs keep repeating their 'mistakes' though: Sony with the iffy screens and 6 months old specs; Motorola with lapdog attitute to Verizon etc. The hate here is more than that...

add to that the fact that HTC is the darling/underdog, and people just gravitate towards those things.
Nah they don't gravitate to BlackBerry or Windows Phone

Nexus Phone? Good battery life? what will you want next? a good camera?
haha I'm working under the assumption that google is going to keep their word. Come to think of it that's a horrible assumption but that's why I said I gotta make sure I get the right phone with my upgrade in case the nexus does disappoint.

All the other Android OEMs keep repeating their 'mistakes' though: Sony with the iffy screens and 6 months old specs; Motorola with lapdog attitute to Verizon etc. The hate here is more than that...
hey I explained why I dig on it a lot, because it's so close to being the bees knees but just isn't due to a few things that continue to sadden me. I want better battery in 2013, I want choice not limitations in design, then there's just small stuff that add up to rub me the wrong way like the top power button lol. And of course HTCs horrible update history. Even still, if I owned the One I wouldn't cry about it. It looks great and I'm sure it works well. But looking great doesn't make me discount the things I want it to do better.

gcubed

wouldn't be that amazing. if you don't want a removable battery, only need facebook quality photos, are confused by sd cards and don't care for those amazing touchwiz features like S Scroll, the HTC One is a great choice.

BOOMSOUND!

did you just seriously use S Scroll as an example of a great feature?

Nah they don't gravitate to BlackBerry or Windows Phone

nobody really talks about Sony in here, and Motorola is mocked mightily

The only S features I think are decent are s translator and maybe s-health if you're into that. The rest are going straight to disableeeee.

Thankfully Samsung lets you disable shit you don't want. HTC, take note!

It'll end up having really mediocre specs and run a ridiculous recolour of stock Android. 4" WVGA screen as well.
should leak soon I hope, then we will know for sure.

wow...the HTC hate in this thread is so comical.

seems like some posters just whine and hate on HTC on every post while pleasuring themselves with their Note 2, a phone that's not even out yet, or a sony phone..LOL

I had both the One X and the S3....both great phone and can't really say one is superior to the other. I don't care which one sold more.
The whole touchwiz vs. Sense, I thought people are smart enough to use a different launcher if they don't like them.

I'm actually getting the One and planning to get the S4 when its out...for I can compare them...then whine on a phone that I've actually used.

Yeah and the idea that you have to own something to criticize it is stupid. Were ANY of my criticisms of the One invalid? I'd say they're all pretty factual. Whether they matter to you or not is completely subjective though.

Truth be told I'm quite interested in what it'll be... but I'm keeping my beliefs that it's going to be shit.
same here!

Not everyone has the privilege of being able to do that, you know.

Doesn't mean it's any better to hate on stuff they haven't used.

While "boom sound" is a stupid name, the speakers on the One put any other phone to shame in that regard, and people are going to use speakers on their phone a lot more than fucking s-health and s-finger hover.

Also it's interesting to note that the One is basically been given rave reviews for their camera in "typical situations".. i.e. low light or indoor lighting, by just about every review on the Internet, yet people are still saying its crap.

Plus it's got a better battery than just about all phones on the market right now, beating even the S4 in web browsing and having the same standby as the new Xperia Z.

Most of it is simple trolling, while some is probably being actually upset at having the HTC produce a legitimately great phone.

One thing that surprised me was the Anandtech review. The only phone they've ever given a gold editors choice award for an the reviewer has already used the S4. So either they're going to give out two his month (unlikely), or the reviewer already believes the One is the better phone. It also happens to be te most in depth review out there.

Chinner

Banned
hmm, ive changed my screen from swipe unlock to code unlock, but now i get a ugly number entry screen when i take my phone out of sleep phone. is there anything i could do to make it more similair to IOS, i.e. swipe to get to code entry? just so it looks more pleasant

Anand himself is probably going to review the S4. Aka it won't get the editors choice. That brian guy was in love with the One the moment he laid his eyes on it if you go back and read previews and whatnot from the announcement. Love at first sight. Brings a tear to my eye.

Anand himself is probably going to review the S4. Aka it won't get the editors choice. That brian guy was in love with the One the moment he laid his eyes on it if you go back and read previews and whatnot from the announcement. Love at first sight. Brings a tear to my eye.

At least his review was backed up by sound examination though. It's hard to complain when he's using pretty damned....scientific approaches, if that's the right term for what he did.

I won't pretend to understand all of what he wrote, but his findings were always shown with real proof.

He spends a lot of the review saying "this is subjective" "that is subjective" "this is also subjective". Which pretty much sums up everything. The One is a hot phone. It has shortcomings. Those shortcomings either matter or don't matter. They probably don't matter to most people, especially when the phone looks that good. But it's also not surprising that it does matter to people here...in an android OT....

Groof

While "boom sound" is a stupid name, the speakers on the One put any other phone to shame in that regard, and people are going to use speakers on their phone a lot more than fucking s-health and s-finger hover.

Also it's interesting to note that the One is basically been given rave reviews for their camera in "typical situations".. i.e. low light or indoor lighting, by just about every review on the Internet, yet people are still saying its crap.

Plus it's got a better battery than just about all phones on the market right now, beating even the S4 in web browsing and having the same standby as the new Xperia Z.

Most of it is simple trolling, while some is probably being actually upset at having the HTC produce a legitimately great phone.

One thing that surprised me was the Anandtech review. The only phone they've ever given a gold editors choice award for an the reviewer has already used the S4. So either they're going to give out two his month (unlikely), or the reviewer already believes the One is the better phone. It also happens to be te most in depth review out there.
No absolutely, hating so much on something one hasn't tried isn't the right approach, but there can always be some factual quirks one can be disappointed at, like some of the design choices of the new Sense skin, for example.

Most of it is mindless trolling/hating, though, and that's never changing.

hmm, ive changed my screen from swipe unlock to code unlock, but now i get a ugly number entry screen when i take my phone out of sleep phone. is there anything i could do to make it more similair to IOS, i.e. swipe to get to code entry? just so it looks more pleasant
This... sounds like a really weird thing to want.

So... If Google announces Key Lime Pie in May, around when would it release?

How long did it take them to release Jelly Bean after the announcement?

yup...then write a whole essay on how much superior whatever phone they currently own.

I'm just exaggerating, no one in this thread actually does that right???

maybe they give the S4 a gold too or even a platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom