• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

who knows but it's not like they have a choice. Motorola seems to be on the decline, it's time for a bold move for them. They also need to get out of that verizon lovefest which seems to be not doing much for them.

The only thing that throws a wrench into what I'm saying is that there were prototype names for motorola phones that leaked a while ago that were carriers. The rumour also said none of these are the x phone. So I think Motorola will be releasing regular phones to carriers like usual, and the x phone will just be a separate google project.

Who knows.
Definitely the last paragraph. They will still be releasing their pipeline phones for now, I'm curious to see how Google handles the x phone vs it's nexus lineup. I guess we are fully moved to a major release a year with a maintenance update in the fall?

Definitely the last paragraph. They will still be releasing their pipeline phones for now, I'm curious to see how Google handles the x phone vs it's nexus lineup. I guess we are fully moved to a major release a year with a maintenance update in the fall?
I could see it. Also the quieter everything is on the x phone front the more I believe it'll be something bigger than people think, not talking about the actual quality of the phone but when it comes to google's strategy going forward.

I think they dump the final motorola pipeline on carriers this year, as well as release the intial x phone, and then next year is when they finally put every resource on it and cement the plan for the future. If it takes off it takes off, if it doesn't then they'll still be doing their nexus thing in the fall for those looking for that.

We'll have our 100% answer in a month I guess. Hopefully mad leaks within the next week or 2. I'm interested to see how it all works out.

Groof

God damnit I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm super stoked for this year's Google I/O. Feels like it's gonna be all sorts of amazing, but at the same time I think I'm getting my hopes too high. At least we'll get Android 5.0 out of it... hopefully.

iavi

My contract with big red is up in Sept. I'm done with this Gnex, and that'll be a perfect time to see all the offerings on hand. The Xphone and KLP gotta deliver.

God damnit I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm super stoked for this year's Google I/O. Feels like it's gonna be all sorts of amazing, but at the same time I think I'm getting my hopes too high. At least we'll get Android 5.0 out of it... hopefully.
the potential for all the conferences this year seem too good to be true at the moment. We have new consoles at E3 in the gaming side. There is potentially big changes coming to iOS on the apple side. There is google's next major version of android with the possibility of a whole new hardware selling thang with the x phone, and who knows what else. Good year for tech.

kinggroin

Banned
not really. its more hassle but it makes the lock screen look alot better.

That sounds like something Apple would do. Form over function shit like that is why I can't fucking stand iOS on the phone side.

To each his own I suppose.

Maybe widget locker can do that for you Chinner.

Only thing I am looking forward to on the tech front this year.

E3 pfft, Haswell know whats coming already, PS4 ditto, Xbox Next ditto and more than likely boring.

So I've concluded that the motorola line (razr hd/maxx hd, etc..) have the best LED. I hope google keeps that for their future phones. Love how big it is.

That sounds like something Apple would do. Form over function shit like that is why I can't fucking stand iOS on the phone side.

To each his own I suppose.

Maybe widget locker can do that for you Chinner.

CM10.1 has a switch to minimize the pattern/pass and maximize the lockscreen widget. you have to tap the lock icon then it will minimize the widget and display the pattern/pass entry.

The Faceless Master said:
no, it's based on Aluminum. editors choice = an unrepairable handset with a joke two button layout, clumsy power button placement, no sd slot, an admittedly terrible interface that goes backwards in widget/shortcut placement, less features than competitors, a sealed battery, takes worse pictures all scenarios except pitch black, has worse performance than its biggest competitor, doesn't have audio output as clean as its competitor, the display calibration is very cold and not adjustable. i can go on and on, but basically, the award seems to be based primarily on the premium feel of its unibody aluminum construction.

You could go on and on but you're basically going against every single review out tere that claims its the best phone on the market right now, so I guess you're maybe trying to stop further embarrassment? I'm not sure at this point.

Plus putting the One on standby makes it start losing what exactly? The race for first place? lol. 4th best battery in any smartphone is still a bad battery to you?

I am literally stunned at how a single person can be so blind to actual reviews and claim all these things without even using it lol

Comment on the bgr one review:

"Maybe boost sales for HTC a bit, but this phone is same old same old. The phone that changed everything is the Z10 because of it's unique software features"

You could go on and on but you're basically going against every single review out tere that claims its the best phone on the market right now, so I guess you're maybe trying to stop further embarrassment? I'm not sure at this point.

Plus putting the One on standby makes it start losing what exactly? The race for first place? lol. 4th best battery in any smartphone is still a bad battery to you?

I am literally stunned at how a single person can be so blind to actual reviews and claim all these things without even using it lol
so you don't dispute the facts? good.

lol so sad

It's true! The first 20 or so Z10s I set up for customers had a 6mb update on startup. If you chose to do it over wifi the update failed and, I kid you not, had to walk far enough away from my store that the phone couldn't pick up wifi anymore and forced it over data.

The data upgrade took 15 minutes just to start.

It was an amazing experience.

so you don't dispute the facts? good.

The reviews of the phone speaks for themselves. I don't have to. However if you want to play that game, lets see what we know of the S4 so far:

Touch wiz is awful and full of mainly useless bloatware, the camera has a terrible FOV and awful image stabilization. The design is cheap looking, the battery is bad for web browsing, the sound distorts at higher volume. CM has already stated they may not support it, and it takes multiple tries to get a decent low light picture.

See how easy that was?

Groof

the potential for all the conferences this year seem too good to be true at the moment. We have new consoles at E3 in the gaming side. There is potentially big changes coming to iOS on the apple side. There is google's next major version of android with the possibility of a whole new hardware selling thang with the x phone, and who knows what else. Good year for tech.
High five. This is a great year for tech!

Only thing I am looking forward to on the tech front this year.

E3 pfft, Haswell know whats coming already, PS4 ditto, Xbox Next ditto and more than likely boring.

Do remember it'll be at least 5-6 years before we see a new major console announcement, so savour it while you can. ;)
Unless Nintendo...

It's true! The first 20 or so Z10s I set up for customers had a 6mb update on startup. If you chose to do it over wifi the update failed and, I kid you not, had to walk far enough away from my store that the phone couldn't pick up wifi anymore and forced it over data.

The data upgrade took 15 minutes just to start.

It was an amazing experience.
give them time, they just learned what a smartphone is ok!

The reviews of the phone speaks for themselves. I don't have to. However if you want to play that game, lets see what we know of the S4 so far:

Touch wiz is awful and full of mainly useless bloatware, the camera has a terrible FOV and awful image stabilization. The design is cheap looking, the battery is bad for web browsing, the sound distorts at higher volume. CM has already stated they may not support it, and it takes multiple tries to get a decent low light picture.

See how easy that was?

the design is "cheap looking" is not based on fact. GSMArena said the sound was the cleanest. dunno what your source was for the volume statement, GSMArena said the audio output was clean, but maybe that was said elsewhere... CM stated that they do not have an official stance.

buhdeh

I remember when BGR used to report almost exclusively on BlackBerry. A lot of my university friends did co-op terms there and they would tell me that BGR "reporters" would approach co-op students a lot trying to get leaks.

I remember when BGR used to report almost exclusively on BlackBerry. A lot of my university friends did co-op terms there and they would tell me that BGR "reporters" would approach co-op students a lot trying to get leaks.
the crackberry people got so mad during those days.

no, it's based on Aluminum. editors choice = an unrepairable handset with a joke two button layout, clumsy power button placement, no sd slot, an admittedly terrible interface that goes backwards in widget/shortcut placement, less features than competitors, a sealed battery, takes worse pictures all scenarios except pitch black, has worse performance than its biggest competitor, doesn't have audio output as clean as its competitor, the display calibration is very cold and not adjustable. i can go on and on, but basically, the award seems to be based primarily on the premium feel of its unibody aluminum construction.

The bigger problem here is how Apple has almost entirely defined how good a phone is by how pretty it looks and how it feels in your hand. This works to Apple's favor, since iOS is some seriously stale shit at this point. It doesn't work to the favor of Android device manufacturers who need to compete on substance and not style in a cutthroat and crowded market with many players. There's only one player in the iOS market, and that's Apple. There's a dozen or more players in the Android market, and HTC is barking up the wrong tree if they think making a pretty metal phone is going to magically reverse their fortunes, especially since they seem so uninterested in anything resembling useful functionality when the owner actually starts using it.

kinggroin

Banned
CM10.1 has a switch to minimize the pattern/pass and maximize the lockscreen widget. you have to tap the lock icon then it will minimize the widget and display the pattern/pass entry.

Yeah I have and use that feature as well...

...because we can have widgets on our lock screen, ya know? Don't understand the logic in iOS (though I'm not exactly an iOS veteran, or unbiased).

kinggroin

Banned
High five. This is a great year for tech!

Do remember it'll be at least 5-6 years before we see a new major console announcement, so savour it while you can. ;)
Unless Nintendo...

Nintendo already got their shit hardware launch out the way. This E3 will be incredible thanks solely to software (what matters most of all IMO).

Yes. Tech industry is full of gooey goodness this year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note all Android-GAF that owns a 3ds must play Fire Emblem ASAP! You people in EU yes it's going to be as good as advertised!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Hey look, f.lux for Android: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-y...for-Android-suggests-an-easy-solution_id41692

twilight-eye-friendly-screen-371x660.jpg

How can Carbon backup be used across multiple devices? I backed up everything on the old phone than manually copied the backups to the new one but they're not showing up under restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom