• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Here is a feature list according to a Google memo (colorful commentary is theirs, not ours):

Brand new UI. We’ve designed a new UI that’s applied across all clients and promotes conversations.

Stay in sync. With just one conversation list and experience across mobile and desktop, everything is always in sync. Install the Chrome app, the Android app, and iOS app.

Desktop app. Stop laying whack a mole across blinking browser tabs. With the new Chrome app your conversations continue outside of the browser.

Keep a group conversation going to coordinate with your team, and start a Hangout with a single tap whenever you need to talk face-to-face.

Be notified…just once. Get notifications on your two phones, tablet, laptop, and desktop. Open it on one and watch the others disappear. If you’re actively using your computer or phone we’ll even intelligently notify you on just one of those endpoints. Magic!

Message more than just text. Add a photo to the conversation and/or send some of the 800+ emoji to your coworkers. Kittens and poop are particularly helpful in explaining complex issues.

Get nostalgic. Scroll back in time and relive any (on-the-record) conversation, on any device.

More ways to talk. For the first time we are building a first class iOS experience. Try out our very early preview on your iPhone or iPod Touch.

This will work just fine. Unified notification, unified chat, Chrome Android and a Chrome app for desktop so I can use it when the browser is closed.

That'll do. Shits shaping up nice man, just redo the UI for Maps/Navigation and GMusic and we will be cooking with grease.

No desktop app, no care.

I'm not keeping a browser tab for Gmail, Google+ or whatever the fuck open at all times just to IM people. At least there's enough of a continuous flow of somewhat interesting things to see on Facebook to leave it open for chat.

Shiiiiiiiiiiit, thats on you brother. Im absolutely done with the days of shitty ICQ, MSN, iTunes based local 'native' clients that run like dogshit and create all kinds of weird conflicts with my firewall and PG. To hell with that.

No desktop app, no care.

I'm not keeping a browser tab for Gmail, Google+ or whatever the fuck open at all times just to IM people. At least there's enough of a continuous flow of somewhat interesting things to see on Facebook to leave it open for chat.
Not that your seeming anger isn't unjustified, but you won't have to have a Gmail or G+ tab open. The messaging will likely work through Chrome's notification center which is independent of tabs.

giga

there's something hilarious about that phone having a horrible camera.
There's a reason there's no camera shortcut on the lock screen.

gktoLqv0J8a.jpg

Did I step back in time to the 90s? Native apps?

Where am I?
I have no doubt Windows users care naught for native apps, since they're so terrible. I can't live without them on OS X though.

3phemeral

I don't know if this was covered, it's difficult to cross-reference while on the phone, but one thing that Google finally fixed is the inconsistency with downloading updates :

You can now single-click confirm for single app updates without needing to pass the terms and conditions prompt.

[edit] Wow, now that I'm back on my laptop, I can see Android Police already did an amazing breakdown (as per) which included this tidbit almost a month ago. How did I miss this? lol

Cipherr

For now, most people should just turn off Facebook Home (but keep Chat Heads). Doing that will reveal something that's actually quite stunning: the HTC First is running stock Android 4.1.2, almost completely unpolluted with apps from AT&T or HTC. I'm not entirely sure whether the credit for this coup goes to Facebook or HTC (my money is on the former), but it takes what would otherwise be a forgettable mid-range Android phone and turns it into something much more intriguing.

Good lord, it looks like the fact that it runs stock Android is what carried it in the Verge review, lmao.

KAT8fov.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No desktop app, no care.

Did you even read the quote? Lol.

Desktop app. Stop laying whack a mole across blinking browser tabs. With the new Chrome app your conversations continue outside of the browser.

sant

So Google is changing up the UI again with KLP? I hope every Gapp is updated this time, the calendar app really needs to be improved.

So Google is changing up the UI again with KLP? I hope every Gapp is updated this time, the calendar app really needs to be improved.
we don't know but it fits what's been going on lately. In the past year they've moved all their apps across different platforms to a type of look, and they started doing it to android app lately as well, wouldn't be surprised if they're saving the rest for i/o go to along with the new aesthetic.

holo light ftw.

Quick

Banned
Just got myself an S3, how do I check to make sure it's unlocked? I don't have a spare sim card to try.

I know that there was a code you dialed in, but it doesn't work post-4.1.1.

3phemeral

Just got myself an S3, how do I check to make sure it's unlocked? I don't have a spare sim card to try.

I know that there was a code you dialed in, but it doesn't work post-4.1.1.
Easy way to see is when you boot it up, the Google logo will have an open lock symbol at the bottom of the screen.

[edit] Actually, not sure if you meant that it's unlocked from your carrier which, now that I think about it, is probably what you meant. Sorry :)

I just realized. You can turn off Facebook Home on the shitty HTC First. So in the end, allowing ads on the homescreen is Facebooks fault and not HTCs.

Suck it, non-believers :p

Quick

Banned
Easy way to see is when you boot it up, the Google logo will have an open lock symbol at the bottom of the screen.

[edit] Actually, not sure if you meant that it's unlocked from your carrier which, now that I think about it, is probably what you meant. Sorry :)

Yeah, carrier unlock. Should've specified that. I'M sorry. :p

I just realized. You can turn off Facebook Home on the shitty HTC First. So in the end, allowing ads on the homescreen is Facebooks fault and not HTCs.

Suck it, non-believers :p

Yeah, best decision was to make it optional and have stock android included. It will be a nice cheap midrange phone for att subscribers.

Yeah, best decision was to make it optional and have stock android included. It will be a nice cheap midrange phone for att subscribers.

I bet this may actually sell a shit ton. Just like the HTC Desire C or Galaxy Ace. Both really low specs but people bought them in droves due to price and lack of need for a data plan.

I have two big complaints about the new Play store:

1. The apps/games in the top paid/free/etc lists previously displayed 12 apps on screen at once on my phone, using space efficiently. Now, I can only see 5 at a time, making browsing for apps much harder. Only the Trending page displays many apps at once.

2. On the apps/games page where you'll see some promoted apps, the promo art is now the app icon art. It used to be a rectangular picture, which was often more representative of the app/game than the icon.

I worry about the first point because I recently released a game on Android and was sort of hoping it would make the Top New Free list. Now, even if it does, it will be much less likely to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom