• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Awesome. Third party app exclusivity between manufacturers is ridiculous.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Uninstalled Paperless after playing with it for a few minutes and got a refund. It's kinda poorly made and slow. It's trying really hard to be a Paper clone, but it just doesn't get there.

DXPett1

What's everyone's go to app for drawing on pictures/screen and not Note/Samsung only? Jelly of my girl who has a GS3 and can doodle on everything.

3phemeral

What's everyone's go to app for drawing on pictures/screen and not Note/Samsung only? Jelly of my girl who has a GS3 and can doodle on everything.

Kind of difficult while using a finger/capacitive stylus. I hear Artrage is good. Those screens aren't really meant for "painting" unless you like drawing super zoomed in with the overall view of your work obscured. That is unless, of course, you enjoy constantly zooming in and out all the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Apple is basically finally signing streaming agreements to get something like Pandora out there. Wonder where this leaves Google on that front as well as companies like Rdio and Spotify.

Cipherr

So Apple is basically finally signing streaming agreements to get something like Pandora out there. Wonder where this leaves Google on that front as well as companies like Rdio and Spotify.

Google is setting up licensing agreements with music providers already.

Google Said Developing Subscription Music Service
Negotiations are under way with major record labels to license their music, said the people, who sought anonymity because the talks are confidential. Google, which also owns the YouTube video website, is also discussing renewing deals that cover the use of songs in videos made by consumers, they said.

The worldwide service is targeted for a third quarter start, said one of the people. The effort would strengthen Google’s ties to consumers through its Android software, the most popular operating system in smartphones, as consumers access more music and videos on the go.

Warner Music Inks Deal With Google for Music Subscription Services

Warner Music Group has struck a licensing deal with Google for two music services the technology giant is launching later this summer, according to executives familiar with the agreement. Google will offer two distinct subscription services – one through its YouTube online video property and another via its Google Play platform.

Executives at Warner, which is the first record label to commit to Google’s proposed music service, declined to comment. A YouTube spokesman issued the following statement: “While we don't comment on rumor or speculation, there are some content creators that think they would benefit from a subscription revenue stream in addition to ads, so we're looking at that.”

Google is also in deep negotiations with Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment and other labels to nail down an agreement similar to the one it now has with Warner.

It seems Google is also negotiating streaming rights for Youtube as well as for Android though.

Sometimes I wonder who - Samsung & LG - comes up with these features first. Or rather, how come they always include such similar features. Samsung obviously gets more PR considering they're the bigger company, but I bet LG has had many features Samsung have before them.

You gotta keep hoping though, man! If they did something similar with the camera app, who knows if they'll add that in or not. But I guess if they throw in add-ons for Chrome on Android as well, then maybe someone'll make one for quick controls, just like there's probably an add-on for a bookmarks button.
they have spies in each others companies no doubt.

i know you didn't just hide a major article like that in here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538860

Talon

Spies stealing shitty features.

Smartphone features explained in Korean are very amusing to me because the language is a little circuitous. Yet we have no sense of sarcasm.

Can someone help me get the part number of the batter for the Verizon SGS III (i535)? It's possibly the same one as the one for the Galaxy Victory, but I want to make sure before ordering one.

For some reason, the entirety of Verizon is out of stock of GSIII batteries.

jwk94

Been a while but there is a file on your phone that identifies it as a GN. You can change that to whatever model and it'll let you install what you want. I found it when trying to get Google Wallet to install on my S3 a while back. I'll see if I can find it..

EDIT: this should help get you in the right direction: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2037372 Even though it is to get a phone to register as a Nexus, you can use the idea to change it to something else like maybe a Nexus4 or something not restricting the app you want.

Thanks! I'll see if this works.

It is a shame their marketing sucks. At least word of mouth around my area is getting people asking about it in droves.
which is why it's hard to take their word when they say things like "we'll market this time!" "we'll update fast this time". Hope it's true but...whoknowzz. They'll probably never get this much hype/universal praise again. They must use it.

Also I almost get to try one, word is saturday, werrrrd.

thespot84

Faceless what the hell did you do!

The lack of a proper desktop app to sync everything with is the big dealbreaker for me. It's one thing I don't miss about Android at all.

It's still Android.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I will only buy a smart phone that has it's OS developed in the USA.

They're now one step closer to figuring out that we have an Android |OT| and once they do it's all over man. All over.

Falcon Pro showing some real promise.

Inline article previews

756949205.png
Full articles available offline (Dev says "You won't need a news reader anymore")

Individual user notifications

panda21

wheres my FaBoHo? its friday 12 and i dont see it. really curious to see how long it is usable for before it becomes really annoying.

Not that I'll be able to tell you much of anything interesting but I had a brief hands on with the Samsung Galaxy S4 yesterday. We had a Samsung rep visiting and apparently were lucky to see one as there's currently only 4 units in Scotland. It was running test software (definitely not final) as was evidenced by occasional stutters and lags in animations, something I'm sure will be fixed in the final software. Some thoughts...

Appearance

It really does look like a Galaxy S3. At a medium distance you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The screen resolution is obviously great, but in the small amount of time I had with it there wasn't the obvious boost in pixel count from 720p to 1080p as you would have noticed going from the non HD to HD screens. It would probably excel for calligraphy or using magazines in Google Play however I didn't have time to test that. In terms of dimensions the rep also had an S3 side by side. The S4 seemed slightly taller (by millimetres) and width seemed pretty much the same. I know that the S4 is slimmer, but in the small time I had the phone it was difficult to register any practical difference.

Software

The Samsung rep showed of some of the features (I forget the exact names) such as looking away from the screen pausing video and then looking back un-pausing it. This worked really well. He also showed us the hover preview which in general seemed less natural and a lot more gimmicky, especially as you've got to hover for a good second or so to get the preview. It would seem faster and more natural for me just to select whatever it is i wanted to look at first and then back out if it wasn't what i needed. The air scrolling stuff worked pretty well and was probably the biggest "oooohhhh" moment of the phone. By that, I mean using your hand or fingers you can fling through pictures in the gallery without having to touch the screen. It takes a small amount of practice at first, but actually works at a reasonable distance. I was holding my fingers nearly a foot away from the screen and it still worked. For a brief moment I actually felt like a Jedi! This is probably the one feature that will sell to people really interested in technology, or just something to show off to your mates (I bet your phone can't do this!). I still contend that it's a bit gimmicky and is still more hit and miss than normal touch screen swiping but it is quite cool. They also showed off dual shot. In fact they were using it to put your own face on top of someone else's body. It's probably a fun thing to do (kind of like the freaky warped face thing that used to be in the stock Android camera) but again has limited real wold usage except for capturing two girls one cup reactions. Touchwiz was very much Touchwiz. Nice in some places, terrible in others.

Final thoughts

Overall I thought the phone was nice and the features are pretty cool and even if they don't get used much, they will create enough of a "wow" moment to convince some customers to buy on that alone. On the other hand I didn't feel any pangs of regret with regards to my purchase of a Nexus 4 , or feel that I should sell it and get an S4. For customers coming off 2 year contracts upgrading from the S2 or HTC Sensation/Incredible iPhone 4 etc this will knock their socks off. For customers who have just picked up an S3, Nexus 4, or HTC One there isn't anything tangible that would make you regret your purchase.

I probably won't be able to answer any detailed questions, but feel free to ask me stuff anyway.

Groof

Not that I'll be able to tell you much of anything interesting but I had a brief hands on with the Samsung Galaxy S4 yesterday. We had a Samsung rep visiting and apparently were lucky to see one as there's currently only 4 units in Scotland. It was running test software (definitely not final) as was evidenced by occasional stutters and lags in animations, something I'm sure will be fixed in the final software. Some thoughts...

Nice writeup! Did you get any chance to see the different display modes any? Or was there just any sort of difference in the calibration compared to the S3 they had brought with them?

MarkusRJR

Is there an easy way to sync an itunes library to an android device? I tried copying and pasting but the files had no tags or album art so it was pretty much useless.

Nice writeup! Did you get any chance to see the different display modes any? Or was there just any sort of difference in the calibration compared to the S3 they had brought with them?

No, just the default. I only had about 5 minutes with the phone, so nothing like enough time to properly play with it or give you any definitive conclusion. It's more of a "first impressions" post. It's useful in the sense that most customers will spend 5 minutes or less with any given phone before purchasing (I'm talking hands on) to see what I should be showing them If I need to sell over and above the brand name and Samsung marketing. I can't say I ever really had a problem with the S3 or Amoleds habit of over saturating colours, they actually made the screen pop in a way that LCD's couldn't compete with up until more recently. Colour accuracy has always been more important to me on a TV where I want to consume media as the director intended as I don't watch much video on my phone over and above YouTube or news stories. My only issue with the S3 screen was that it can suffer from significant burn in, more so than other Amoleds we've had in the past. The rolling demo that plays on the S3 has left an imprint on the screen which is always there. I know this is an issue with Amoleds in general but I've never seen it as pronounced. Either way a rolling demo is not a fair indicator of a customers screen using habits. Whether the S4 will also suffer from potential burn in, I can't say.

Nicktendo86

Great writeup mate. Not sure about the not final software thing, they have been saying that as an excuse for the stutter and I have a feeling it is just touchwhiz.

Doopliss

Final thoughts

Overall I thought the phone was nice and the features are pretty cool and even if they don't get used much, they will create enough of a "wow" moment to convince some customers to buy on that alone. On the other hand I didn't feel any pangs of regret with regards to my purchase of a Nexus 4 , or feel that I should sell it and get an S4. For customers coming off 2 year contracts upgrading from the S2 or HTC Sensation/Incredible iPhone 4 etc this will knock their socks off. For customers who have just picked up an S3, Nexus 4, or HTC One there isn't anything tangible that would make you regret your purchase.

I probably won't be able to answer any detailed questions, but feel free to ask me stuff anyway.
I'll believe it when I see it. Apart from the screen I wasn't really impressed by the S3 compared to my S2, and the concensus seems to be that the S4 isn't significantly better than that, especially regarding the smoothness of interaction.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts though, so thanks.

Great writeup mate. Not sure about the not final software thing, they have been saying that as an excuse for the stutter and I have a feeling it is just touchwhiz.

Thanks! Very possibly, but even things like when the screen would rotate in the gallery were a bit stuttery, something which I'm fairly sure is just because it's not optimized yet. At the very least aspects weren't as smooth as the Nexus 4, despite the more powerful chipset inside and I did ask the Samsung rep and he specifically said it was still running test software. Even in comparison to the S3 it suffered. Another thing to mention was that it didn't feel any noticeably quicker than the S3 when moving between things. I remember going from a Nexus S and being blown away by how fast the Galaxy Nexus was. And then again being impressed by the step up from the Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 4. In my brief time with the S4 I didn't come away with the feeling it was blazing fast compared to other current flagships, but again that comes with the caveat of having limited time and the test software.

I'll believe it when I see it. Apart from the screen I wasn't really impressed by the S3 compared to my S2, and the concensus seems to be that the S4 isn't significantly better than that, especially regarding the smoothness of interaction.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts though, so thanks.

Of course, no problem. I think the speed, and screen alone should impress you compared to the S2 especially when the software is final. But it's subjective for everyone. I remember going from my Galaxy Nexus (pentile) and thinking the pentile stuff was exaggerated nonsense. Then I saw the Nexus 4 and the screen was miles better despite being the same resolution. The S4 has a pentile screen too, but using a slightly different system and at such a higher resolution than the S2 the jump should be massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom