• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Oh God if Samsung gets rid of SD cards I'd get such a boner. My wife will cry that night when that happens.
I don't get it, what's the downside to having an msd card slot? If you don't use it, you leave the bay empty. Am I missing something with this? I have a GNexus and I'm just fine without it, but I wouldn't mind having one again, for sure.

I don't get it, what's the downside to having an msd card slot? If you don't use it, you leave the bay empty. Am I missing something with this? I have a GNexus and I'm just fine without it, but I wouldn't mind having one again, for sure.

There are a lot of douchebags in the world who hate it when people have options just because they don't use them. I USE the microSD slot on my phone. I have a 64 GB microSD card in my Note II which has only 23 GB free on it right now. I know the shtick on GAF is to be a douchebag to people but I cannot own a device which doesn't have a microSD slot, because of the amount of local storage I need.

For me it makes moving files and backups, transitioning to a different device, and flashing ROMs all incredibly annoying.

usually means cheaper build quality, that's why. They need to find away to fit it in the side so the back can remain high quality.

3phemeral

For me it makes moving files and backups, transitioning to a different device, and flashing ROMs all incredibly annoying.

I don't think I've ever been required to use external memory for those things. Especially now that ICS creates a virtual sdcard with internal memory, leaving it protected from factory resets.

In all honesty using an sdcard made backups easier for me. Otherwise, I resort to using online-syncing solutions which doesn't always work (I had a ton of non-working backup files from Carbon when I tried restoring my TF101 a few weeks ago).

Internal memory: Apps/Files/Media
External Memory: All backup files and sometimes media because it quicker to transfer via external memory than any online service.

Plus, I could easily transfer those backups to my computer. When I had my Nexus early on, I always had an issue with the computer not being able to see either new folders or Titanium backup folders for some reason. Not sure if that's an issue anymore since I've been using a custom ROM at the release of JB ones.

I don't know, have you been in a situation where you've been forced to use an msd card in any way?

usually means cheaper build quality, that's why. They need to find away to fit it in the side so the back can remain high quality.

Hmm. I suppose, but the build quality for these non-sd card phones hasn't improved much in the ways that I would say the cost of removing that hardware feature is justified. My Droid 2 seemed pretty sturdy and well-built compared to my Nexus. Maybe its addition makes it more expensive, but generally aren't these high-end phones expensive specifically because they're high end? Seems HTC has done something about it at least.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
A phone without a removable battery is a turn off for me. Having the option to buy a bigger battery is fucking awesome. SD card support is icing on the cake as I love to put music and movies on my phone!
Options baby!

tino

Banned
I hope the Samsung Galaxy S5/Note 3 is made using unibody machined aluminium with chamfered edges, a non removable battery and no SD card support. Not because I'd want to buy it, just for the forum lulz, rationalization and opinion u-turns that would surely occur.

Its Samsung, they will make one model with no SD card and not removable batter, one model with SD card and removable battery, and another model with a compact flash slot.

You apparently don't understand Samsung.

Its Samsung, they will make one model with no SD card and not removable batter, one model with SD card and removable battery, and another model with a compact flash slot.

and only some will be available in different regions

Talon

There are a lot of douchebags in the world who hate it when people have options just because they don't use them. I USE the microSD slot on my phone. I have a 64 GB microSD card in my Note II which has only 23 GB free on it right now. I know the shtick on GAF is to be a douchebag to people but I cannot own a device which doesn't have a microSD slot, because of the amount of local storage I need.
Yes, everyone that doesn't share your view is a douchebag that hates options.

Okay.

I think you misunderstood my post. I never said I thought they would, I just said (jokingly) I hoped they would just to see some of the drama that would go down in this thread. And given some of the drama that's been caused by even the mere suggestion of it.... well...popcorn.gif

There are a lot of douchebags in the world who hate it when people have options

Yes, but tell me what you really think..

Groof

What would be even better is that if Samsung threw away Android, brought back Bada and renamed it Touchwiz. And no one would be none the wiser! It's genius.

Does anyone actually feel safe using these hacked Facebook apps just to try out FB Home on their unsupported phones? Just seems like devs at any time could take advantage of people who use their stuff simply because they don't know any better.

I realize that there might be a similar danger with using custom roms...

are my worries unfounded?

Blackhead

Redarse
Does anyone actually feel safe using these hacked Facebook apps just to try out FB Home on their unsupported phones? Just seems like devs at any time could take advantage of people who use their stuff simply because they don't know any better.

I realize that there might be a similar danger with using custom roms...

are my worries unfounded?

Other devs look at those hacked Facebook apps too. Your worries are not unfounded but forums like XDA have a long hard-earned reputation for good behavior. I'd trust ROMs or modified apps posted there until proven otherwise.

Talon

Anandtech needs a copy editor something fierce. Comma splice city.

Apparently Brian Klug doesn't know the difference between dependent and independent clauses.

kinggroin

Banned
New job, new carrier.

I'm on T-Mobile's unlimited everything (LTE included) with zero throttling $70 a month plan.

Chose a Note 2 as my new device since I couldn't migrate my vzw GNEX over. Gotta say, it's pretty good. Pretaaay pretaaay, pretty good.

Using a touchwiz based ROM, but slowly replacing parts with AOSP system apps; trying for a best of both worlds kinda deal.

Cipherr

Did he call the Nexus 4 a piece of shit?

Did he say he was going to put that HTC bumper sticker on his car
scaledphpserver195filen.png

Chinner

Banned
Yo some app on my phone is being a shit and keeping my phone awake thus wasting alot of battery. Are there apps that can find the offending culprit which doesn't need my phone rooting?

VPhys

Is there a Zoe/highlights real type app in the android marketplace? I'm going on vacation soon and unfortunately the HTC One will not be out in the US before I leave, but I want to be of the do this with my galaxy Nexus.

3phemeral

betterbatterystats

I tried using this and I couldn't figure out how to use it. Is there a section that says exactly what app is actually keeping your phone awake? Otherwise, at least for my situation, it listed some process location that had no obvious related app and when clicked or long-pressed, did absolutely nothing to show any extra information. The funny thing is that when I copied the info, I got a notification saying "[bar-name] copied," so when I pasted it I expected the percentage or numbers or something to show up. Nope, it pasted just the name of the bar.

I must be using it wrong.

I tried using this and I couldn't figure out how to use it. Is there a section that says exactly what app is actually keeping your phone awake? Otherwise, at least for my situation, it listed some process location that had no obvious related app and when clicked or long-pressed, did absolutely nothing to show any extra information. The funny thing is that when I copied the info, I got a notification saying "[bar-name] copied," so when I pasted it I expected the percentage or numbers or something to show up. Nope, it pasted just the name of the bar.

I must be using it wrong.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

enjoy :p

another useful thread maybe: http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...-can-someone-teach-me-use-better-battery.html

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I am still using Facebook Home. I told myself I'd try it out all weekend without changing it. I'll write my mini review tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom