• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
itshappenning.gif

Scrambling to find a launch date for the Samsung Galaxy S 4? Staples may have just dropped a hint. According to a leaked store training sheet, AT&T will be offering the next Galaxy phone on April 26th, followed by T-Mobile on May 1st and Verizon on the 30th. Bold lettering warns these dates are tentative but they are familiar, matching both the UK launch date and T-Mobile's own declarations.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/14/gs4-tentative-launch/

I just saw my first HTC One in the wild. One more and it will be on par with the amount of Windows Phones I saw people using. I think HTC is off a good start.

Angst

so wifistatemachine is keeping my phone awake all the time. how do i fix this?

What phone do you have? A Sony?
What ROM are you using? (I'm guessing stock)

Btw, Betterbatterystats is good - but at the same time it can be horrible. It can very well lead to constant worrying about processes you don't even understand.

Angst

yes and yes. xperia zl.

it started afew days ago, and it's draining my battery quickly.

Have you considered using a custom ROM? The wakelock you have is probably related to a bug in the official ROM and installing a custom ROM might solve it.

EDIT: scratch that, the custom ROMs for the Xperia ZL seem to be really early and loads of stuff don't work properly. You probably have to wait for Sony to push out an update...

Nicktendo86

He is using Betterbatterystats, which is a really good way to get really confused.

That's what is confusing me, android has a decent battery stats thing built into the settings so it should be easy to see what is draining the battery. I find those third party battery apps do more harm than good.

Angst

That's what is confusing me, android has a decent battery stats thing built into the settings so it should be easy to see what is draining the battery. I find those third party battery apps do more harm than good.

Well, android's battery stats is pretty vague. If it shows you that "Android OS" is the biggest battery drain, that's not very helpful. In short, BBB is for finding out what's actually causing the drain.

But I also agree with you. I have stopped worrying about wakelocks and whatnot and it's a relief.

so wifistatemachine is keeping my phone awake all the time. how do i fix this?

Try leaving your wifi on all the time (in advanced wifi settings). Then use Smart Wifi Toggler (free app) to turn off Wifi based on location (uses data instead of GPS) if you don't want to keep wifi running all the time.

Groof

You press a button to do copy/paste, so much easier than long press and select copy/paste. Also directional keys to go up. Its very handy for going over you post's and correcting spelling error.

Oh damn! That's pretty neat.
I checked Kii and it has that as well, apparently. Gotta start using that from now on.

The GV update comes packing a new service for handing out this info, called “GoogleVoiceConfiguration,” and a new permission, "com.google.android.apps.googlevoice.permission.FETCH_CONFIGURATION."

That's about it for the cold, hard facts. So it's speculation time. Why would the Google Voice Android app need to pass its configuration around? This would probably be for importing GV settings into some other app. But what other app? I don't want to spread rumors or anything, but boy, that is interesting.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...mething-wants-to-read-google-voices-settings/

GavinGT

Banned
Is anyone else having this problem with Google Voice Search?:

I use voice search a lot when delivering pizzas. Lately (the last couple weeks), I'll say "navigate to 8430 east Main Street", and it will instead interpret the address as "84 30 e Main St". The space in the number throws off the result, and I instead have to type in the address manually. This happens for about one out of every ten voice searches. And no matter how I say the number ("eighty-four thirty" vs "eight four three zero" vs "eight thousand four hundred thirty"), it never interprets it correctly.

I'll note that I have an old Android 2.3 phone, but that shouldn't matter since Google Voice Search is updated to the most recent version.

ScOULaris

You press a button to do copy/paste, so much easier than long press and select copy/paste. Also directional keys to go up. Its very handy for going over you post's and correcting spelling error.

Just a side note for those of you who use Swype. Swype supports traditional keyboard shortcuts for Select All, Copy, Cut, and Paste.

Swype button --> A = Select All
Swype button --> C = Copy
Swype button --> X = Cut
Swype button --> V = Paste

Also, Swype button --> 5 brings up the telephone-style number pad.

Revoh

What's a good Android phone for around 300 bucks? I'm buying it from Amazon, it has to be unlocked.
I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S GT i9000 which I loved but a month ago some asshole stole it. I don't use many apps mainly WhatsApp, FB, Gmail and Twitter. Also a big plus if it supports CyanogenMOD.

Cudder

What's a good Android phone for around 300 bucks? I'm buying it from Amazon, it has to be unlocked.
I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S GT i9000 which I loved but a month ago some asshole stole it. I don't use many apps mainly WhatsApp, FB, Gmail and Twitter. Also a big plus if it supports CyanogenMOD.

TWF21RygkFpkU-vKhdAxub1mF6L9xxoqc7aD1F6tD8ElCQFES4Ljn3yuUqcM1iZxC5A=w346

Nexus 4 is your saviour.

ScOULaris

You are pretty much describing the Nexus 4. Get that.

SimleuqiR

This link was taken down from 9to5 (but still lives in my RSS feed): http://9to5google.com/2013/04/16/go...nese-govt-andoid-activations-and-google-glass

Android by numbers:

320 operators, 160 countries, 700,000 apps in the Play Store, and 1.5 million sales / activations of Android every single day. We’ll cross a billion towards the end of this year. That gives you a sense of the reach. Android is the primary vehicle of smartphones — we’ll quickly get to the $100 price point, which is the key for those next five billion people looking to get connected.

On his recent visit to North Korea:

“I’ve never been to a place so thought-controlled. I don’t think we’ll ever know what’s really going on in that country … I didn’t wear Google Glass there because I didn’t want to freak people out and there are a lot of guns there.”

On developing markets:

“In the developing world, we’re getting products launched with pre-loaded content in native languages. In our own world, we talk about the explosion of bandwidth, but that’s greater than the developing world. In that world, just going from no bandwidth to any bandwidth — that’s huge. In Burma, getting medical information to these people helps them become their own doctors in a sense. That’s huge.”

On the potential of technology to affect social change:

“Humans are naturally optimistic and clever. If the police are corrupt, people will figure out a way to see what the cops are up to — we see this in Mexico. With mobile devices, we’re empowering individuals. For the overwhelming number of people in the world, it’s a huge improvement.”

And the downside:

“The truth about technology is that it’s relatively neutral with an empowerment bias. So, it’s easy to come out with a positive view. But, there are things you have to manage — terrorism, etc. When Bell invented the phone, he didn’t make clear that criminals could use the phone to engage in crime. When we built the internet, we didn’t say that it was for everyone except those who want to criticize the government [as in China]. The best one is Iran — last week they said they didn’t like Google Earth, so they’re building their own. I guess they’ll call it Iranian Earth, and they’ll probably delete a few things… like Israel. It’s just madness.”

On privacy:

“Google has a responsibility to keep your data secure. You have a responsibility to keep your password secure and not install malware. With respect to your personal information, we allow you to take it out. The other thing is that we’re careful about when we use your information and we tell you that. We disclose what we do with your information, and we adhere to published principles. We have an absolute responsibility to keep your data secure. We spend a tremendous amount of time inside Google talking about these tradeoffs. We have very clear and documented policies on how we use them.”

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So supposedly AT&T HTC One preorders out shipped out. Expect people all over the web to be getting their shiny new handsets all week. General 1st impressions could come as soon as tomorrow.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Chat Heads for Facebook Messenger is surprisingly useful and well made. Hum, didn't see that one coming.

It seems like there is some good stuff at work there, but I barely use Facebook Messenger (maybe once or twice a month?) and I never use SMS (Google Voice and WhatsApp handle all my texting needs), so I can't really use it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"The best one is Iran — last week they said they didn’t like Google Earth, so they’re building their own. I guess they’ll call it Iranian Earth, and they’ll probably delete a few things… like Israel. It’s just madness."

KuGsj.gif

Great motorola news, from their design chief:

According to Wicks, Motorola has spent the last eight months working on their next generation of phones that will arrive in the second half of 2013 (that could be July or November for all we know). More importantly, he stressed that if you are into smaller form-factor devices or stock Android, that you are going to be very excited. And when he says “smaller,” he means “just-right” in terms of size. If you look at the leaked Motorola device from early March, we’re talking a 4-4.5″ display size, which isn’t necessarily small, it’s just not following the massive trend by today’s standards. He also mentioned that while devices may be smaller, the display won’t be as they continue to work on slimming down bezels, much like they did with the RAZR M. Wicks acknowledged that “When you buy a TV, your’re not wanting a frame,” and that smartphones should be the same.

As far as his comments on stock Android are concerned, Wicks talked about how consumers “love what the Android OS can do for them,” and that they want to have the most recent releases faster. Motorola’s strategy is to embrace Android and make it the “best expression of Android and Google on the market.” It will be the “unadulterated” version of Android with as little bloatware as possible.

Last, while Motorola has seen success with its DROID brand on Verizon, they will attempt to mimic Samsung and HTC’s push to get their single flagship phones and form factors on all carriers. They will attempt to build new cross-carrier brands outside of those exclusive brands that are carrier-specific.

After hearing Eric Schmidt call Motorola’s next lineup of phones “phenomenal” this morning, this news has to bring you nothing but joy. Well, assuming you are fine with sub 5-inch phones.

I'll be super surprised if Motorola doesn't have a nexus phone out by the end of this year for sale on the play store.

Taiwan's FTC investigating Samsung for defaming HTC on local online forums
Fabricated Internet posts praising Samsung at the expense of HTC products has landed the South Korean company in hot water with Taiwan’s Fair Trade Commission.

The investigation occurs after a local site, called TaiwanSamsungLeaks, accused the South Korean company of “evil marketing” for covertly criticizing rival products through anonymous Internet users. As evidence, the site published documents allegedly from Samsung’s hired marketing firm cataloguing the different forum posts it made last year on local gadget sites.

The topics covered included a user complaining that his girlfriend’s HTC One X phone was constantly crashing, and how Samsung’s Galaxy Note phone was superior to HTC’s Sensation XL handset.

Benchmark reviews were also posted, claiming that Samsung’s Galaxy S3 outperformed the HTC One X in battery life and graphics. In addition, some of the comments tried to praise Samsung, and asked if the company’s handsets had helped local users earn job promotions.

Samsung said it has as yet to receive a notice from Taiwan’s FTC on the investigation. But the “unfortunate incident” did occur, the company admitted.

“Samsung Electronics Taiwan (SET) has ceased all marketing activities that involve the posting of anonymous comments,” it said on Tuesday in a statement. The company adheres to “transparent and honest communications with consumers,” and is working to prevent the problem from occurring again.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2034...-for-defaming-htc-on-local-online-forums.html

That's why you don't hire worn out soldiers as mercenaries, Samsung.

Yeah I'm sure they needed lots of convincing from you about that.
e5YuU.gif

after i listen to what someone wants, i really try to be as close to fair as i can when i am giving advice!

seriously, i mean, i suggest the Nexus 4 as an option to people on ATT/TMo. i mention the HTC One and GS4 and even the Xperia Z/ZL to people.

hahhaahah actually, this one time when i was mentioning the One/ZL/GS4 as options for someone with an upcoming upgrade, the response was... "HTC still makes phones? haven't heard about them for a while" "it's waterproof!? wait... Sony makes phones?" "uh, isnt that out already?"
they're going with the GS4

the worst question people ask is "face, what would YOU CHOOSE IF IT WERE YOU?" and i am like ... "but it's not for me, it's for you, we're different people" ... "i know, i know, but what would YOU choose" as if i have a secret agenda!

Taiwan govt protecting local Taiwan company from Korean evil conglomerate.

HTC is actually a division of Formosa Plastics, the largest conglomerate in Taiwan. Formosa Plastics is basically the Samsung of Taiwan, so seeing the Taiwanese government going to bat for HTC is like watching the South Korean government doing Samsung's bidding. No different.

Husker86

HTC is actually a division of Formosa Plastics, the largest conglomerate in Taiwan. Formosa Plastics is basically the Samsung of Taiwan, so seeing the Taiwanese government going to bat for HTC is like watching the South Korean government doing Samsung's bidding. No different.

Isn't that what he was insinuating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom