• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

You will have to download the apk and you can't do that from the Play Store. Most are easily found on the web. Of course, there's a risk you'll install an APK that someone has messed around with... For example http://www.aapktop.com/ (I have no idea if this is recommended)

Edit: can't you share the wifi access via bluetooth from your laptop to the phone?

Talon

The Android-GAF cycle.

Software Buttons Rule -> Hardware Buttons 4 Lyfe -> X Phone? X Phone. -> Fucking Verizon -> lol HTC -> lol Samsung -> Software Buttons Rule

In other, more hilarious news:

Microsoft Corp. and Hon Hai, the parent company of Foxconn, signed a worldwide patent licensing agreement that provides broad coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio for devices running the Android and Chrome OS, including smartphones, tablets and televisions. While the contents of the agreement are confidential, the parties indicate that Microsoft will receive royalties from Hon Hai under the agreement. Hon Hai joins a growing list of contract manufacturing and original design manufacturing companies with Android and Chrome patent licenses.

SimleuqiR

Sorry, I know this is a bit off topic, but...

Voice.PNG

am I taking crazy pills or did Google changed the shade of blue on the Google Voice icon?

Not sure why the Chrome extension still uses the old ass icon.

Also, notifications from the web and on my mobile phone are almost instantaneous. Before there was a much wider lag between the two.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like the "double tap to wake up" feature of the Nokia N9 and Lumia 920.

I like this idea. After a while my GNex's wake button has become dangerously sunken in. It still works but I wonder if that will always be the case...

I don't think I could abide no volume buttons though, I use those without turning the screen on all the time.

mturco

You know, my first smartphone was an S2 and now I'm on a Nexus 4, so I've always been 4.5" or above. So my gf comes around with her S3 Mini, and it's quite refreshing to be able to one-hand a phone like this, so I can certainly see the appeal of why people would get these.
Granted, she complains all the time about how small and shit it is.

Yeah I have a Galaxy Nexus and whenever I hold an iPhone it just feels amazingly easy to hold and feels like nothing in your pocket. That said, the iPhone screen (even on the 5) is way too small for me. 4.5" with really slim bezels would be perfect.

Also, didn't the Galaxy S2 have a 4.3" display? Or am I crazy?

Cipherr

Yeah I have a Galaxy Nexus and whenever I hold an iPhone it just feels amazingly easy to hold and feels like nothing in your pocket. That said, the iPhone screen (even on the 5) is way too small for me. 4.5" with really slim bezels would be perfect.

Also, didn't the Galaxy S2 have a 4.3" display? Or am I crazy?

The TMobile S2 had a 4.5" screen IIRC. That was back before Samsung had the clout to launch a single hardware version of their phone across all carriers.

mturco

Did it? It probably did, just my memory being hazy.

Cipherr's right, AT&T and T-Mobile had 4.5" variants. Those must have been huge because I remember the 4.3" HTC Evo being massive. It's kind of crazy how much bigger they've made the screens without making the phones that big.

Groof

Cipherr's right, AT&T and T-Mobile had 4.5" variants. Those must have been huge because I remember the 4.3" HTC Evo being massive. It's kind of crazy how much bigger they've made the screens without making the phones that big.
Alright, but the international version had 4.3" right? Cause that's the one I had.
But that's the future though innit, bigger screens, less bezel, smaller physical footprint. Can't wait for the all-screen phone!

mturco

Alright, but the international version had 4.3" right? Cause that's the one I had.
But that's the future though innit, bigger screens, less bezel, smaller physical footprint. Can't wait for the all-screen phone!

There's a million variants, even internationally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_s2#Variants

But yeah, it looks like only the US and Canada got the 4.52" ones. And yeah, WVGA on a 4.52" screen must have been terrible. That's 206 PPI and we're dealing with 400 PPI screens now lol.

zedge

The S2 on Bell in Canada was the international version with 4.3 inch screen and hardware button. The true s2. ;-) Not the bastard qualcommed carrier ones.

HawkeyeIC

So just got a new car ('14 Forester), and my Gnex won't work through the USB port in the car. Did some minimal searching and it looks like this functionality isn't supported...anyone else have this issue, or know of any fixes?

mturco

So just got a new car ('14 Forester), and my Gnex won't work through the USB port in the car. Did some minimal searching and it looks like this functionality isn't supported...anyone else have this issue, or know of any fixes?

It might be because your car doesn't support MTP (media transfer protocol) - which Android switched to after 4.0 I believe - and only works with UMS (USB mass storage) which is what flash drives and hard drives use. Just a guess.

Edit: Quick Google search shows a lot of people talking about this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1708337

Also relevant:
http://www.theverge.com/android/2011/11/22/2579691/galaxy-nexus-usb-mass-storage-mtp

HawkeyeIC

It might be because your car doesn't support MTP (media transfer protocol) - which Android switched to after 4.0 I believe - and only works with UMS (USB mass storage) which is what flash drives and hard drives use. Just a guess.

Edit: Quick Google search shows a lot of people talking about this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1708337

Thanks, that's what i found too, just wasn't sure if someone had come up with a fix yet. Stupid Google.

mturco

Thanks, that's what i found too, just wasn't sure if someone had come up with a fix yet. Stupid Google.

They have their reasons.

Google Dev said:
ICS supports USB Mass Storage (UMS). The Galaxy Nexus does not. This is the same scenario as Honeycomb, as for instance HC supports USB Mass Storage while Xoom does not.

If a given device has a removable SD card it will support USB Mass Storage. If it has only built-in storage (like Xoom and Galaxy Nexus) it will (usually) support only MTP and PTP.

It isn't physically possible to support UMS on devices that don't have a dedicated partition for storage (like a removable SD card, or a separate partition like Nexus S.) This is because UMS is a block-level protocol that gives the host PC direct access to the physical blocks on the storage, so that Android cannot have it mounted at the same time.

With the unified storage model we introduced in Honeycomb, we share your full 32GB (or 16GB or whatever) between app data and media data. That is, no more staring sadly at your 5GB free on Nexus S when your internal app data partition has filled up -- it's all one big happy volume.

However the cost is that Android can no longer ever yield up the storage for the host PC to molest directly over USB. Instead we use MTP. On Windows (which the majority of users use), it has built-in MTP support in Explorer that makes it look exactly like a disk. On Linux and Mac it's sadly not as easy, but I have confidence that we'll see some work to make this better.

On the whole it's a much better experience on the phone.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/mg14z/whoa_whoa_ics_doesnt_support_usb_mass_storage/

besiktas1

Probably not the first person to say this but I wish Google now is the next android front screen. Vertical scrolling with the same buttons at the bottom with the app drawer etc. That way pretty live tiles thing first things I see, constantly updating and adapting as i use, also customisable so I can add widget I want too. Search at the top letting me talk or write what I want to do so its even quicker to use.
E.g. "text GAF I'm outside"
Send text using babel with automated card picking up where I am.
lol I wish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom