• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's pretty much exactly what I want to hear. I'm just not getting too excited until we actually see something, though.
the fact that it's taking so long to see anything is a good sign though. But yeah, I'm willing to bet the x phone will be released in late Q3/Q4 and possibly even be a nexus phone. Looks like they're finally taking that shit seriously as a company.

Also they're finally gonna ditch verizon only, which is something they needed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's less that we aren't excited but more that we've been waiting so long we just want to actually see it. Put their money where their mouths are.

But they never had mouths before, it was all just rumours and hearsay. This is the first time someone who actually works at Motorola, their design chief especially has spoke on the future of their brand. So I guess NOW the expectations are officially there. Now we play the waiting gameeeee. It all sounds great though.

Normal sized phones that don't lose screen size because of thin bezels. Finally going to give us what people want there rather than the bigger and bigger trend. Also as close to stock android as possible. Also focus on getting updates out as fast as possible. etc....almost sounds TOO good. But I wouldn't be surprised if all those things are indeed googles plans. I assume their next line of phones will be typical but closer to what they want, then they'll release their first 100% google phone later this year.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The writing's been on the wall ever since Google made their offer (one of the first posts in the GAF thread was "No more Motoblur?") and Schmidt's been talking about them going in this direction forever.

I'll act impressed when there's something to be impressed by. Until then, this is more hot air.

What's the best news app that sends out alerts and notifications? Something like the Scorecenter app, but for news only. I checked out AP News, but the comments seem to indicate a problem with the app crashing and locking the phone.

The writing's been on the wall ever since Google made their offer (one of the first posts in the GAF thread was "No more Motoblur?") and Schmidt's been talking about them going in this direction forever.

I'll act impressed when there's something to be impressed by. Until then, this is more hot air.
no one gives a shit what shmidt says though because he doesn't know what he is talking about half the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note I've never used Feedly until that big update recently, but I use it all the time now. Really like it post big update.

Is there any evidence that "the people" want smaller phones? I thought the bigger screen trend was a trend for a reason: 4.5" and larger are selling like crazy.
It's not the screen sizes that are the problem, it's the phone sizes. 4'5 is perfectly fine if you can fit it on a small phone. Also I meant people here and just a bunch of random sites. It's a a slot that's no longer being filled by anyone other than Apple. Pretty ridiculous. Other companies treat smaller phones like mid-end phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So which one of your Android diehards are going to ball it out to have an Android phone pimped out to rival that 15 million dollar iPhone?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So which one of your Android diehards are going to ball it out to have an Android phone pimped out to rival that 15 million dollar iPhone?

The Nexus 4 is already more valuable than any other phone, no matter how blinged out that phone may be.

Doubly so if it's an iPhone.

mturco

Is there any evidence that "the people" want smaller phones? I thought the bigger screen trend was a trend for a reason: 4.5" and larger are selling like crazy.

I don't think big phones selling well means anything really. All the good phones are big right now. If you want a good Android phone, you buy a big phone. So there's really not much of a choice. That said, I'm surprised by how many people are ok with big phones, especially girls, which is odd. I guess they don't have to carry it around in their pocket, though.

I don't think big phones selling well means anything really. All the good phones are big right now. If you want a good Android phone, you buy a big phone. So there's really not much of a choice. That said, I'm surprised by how many people are ok with big phones, especially girls, which is odd. I guess they don't have to carry it around in their pocket, though.

I dunno. I think y'all don't have your fingers in the public's pulse on this issue. Phablets are popular and people love them. There's nothing odd.

They're less of a burden than the average person's wallet, and far more useful.

mturco

I dunno. I think y'all don't have your fingers in the public's pulse on this issue. Phablets are popular and people love them. There's nothing odd.

They're less of a burden than the average person's wallet, and far more useful.

I'm not claiming I do, I'm just saying that if the only good phones are the market are 4.7"+ then of course they are going to sell well. People aren't going to just stop buying phones.

While I don't think the iPhone is "proof" people want a smaller phone, I do think it's proof that not everyone wants a big phone (otherwise they'd buy one). I really don't see the issue, though. I have no problem with big phones existing. I just want a smaller one. Why is everyone seemingly up in arms about that?

I'm not claiming I do, I'm just saying that if the only good phones are the market are 4.7"+ then of course they are going to sell well. People aren't going to just stop buying phones.

While I don't think the iPhone is "proof" people want a smaller phone, I do think it's proof that not everyone wants a big phone (otherwise they'd buy one). I really don't see the issue, though. I have no problem with big phones existing. I just want a smaller one. Why is everyone seemingly up in arms about that?
No, of course there is room for various sizes of phones. I just don't like the implication that customers are getting fooled into getting bigger phones, such as your comment about the "only" good phones being large.

mturco

No, of course there is room for various sizes of phones. I just don't like the implication that customers are getting fooled into getting bigger phones, such as your comment about the "only" good phones being large.

Well I don't think anyone's getting fooled into buying them, but it is absolutely true that the only good Android phones are large. Name a 2013 flagship phone that doesn't have a 4.7"+ screen. There are none. So I'd love to see some smaller (maybe 4.5") flagship phones come out is all I'm saying.

uh, so i just picked up a new galaxy s3, and there's no way to view emails older than a month? the gmail app has the option, but the email app does not?

markot

Banned
that's absolutely ridiculous. why would they change that?

I think it depends.

For eg, my uni mail, which is exchage based, shows all the mail, on my gs2/nexus 7 and my note 10.1

But hotmail for some reason has only 30 days of email.

I think it depends on the email hosts.

I think it depends.

For eg, my uni mail, which is exchage based, shows all the mail, on my gs2/nexus 7 and my note 10.1

But hotmail for some reason has only 30 days of email.

I think it depends on the email hosts.

looks like you can get around it by adding your Live email through the 'other' email option.

still, that doesn't work with gmail unless you're in the gmail app itself. who the hell wants to check 2 email apps?

i guess i'll try to find the best email app in the store.

So no one cares about that motorola news. I'd say it's pretty significant confirmation of their future plans.

what's that saying? 'show me the money?'

looks like you can get around it by adding your Live email through the 'other' email option.

still, that doesn't work with gmail unless you're in the gmail app itself. who the hell wants to check 2 email apps?

i guess i'll try to find the best email app in the store.

use the email app for everything? that's what i do!

Oh, Jesus Christ, Faceless. You use a BELT CLIP?!
yep! my first HTC Titan/Sprint Mogul phone came with one and i've used one ever since.

Sprint, gross. What is this, 1993?

i live on the east coast, traveled up and down the east coast from Rhode Island to Florida, i always have at least one bar... can't say the same for AT&T or T-Mobile, especially not in NYC or SW GA. i mean, there's always Verizon... but i have SERO :D

I've been getting a strange error on Google Play lately. Whenever I try to download something from Google Play, it says "Package File not Signed Correctly" during installation. Not sure whats up with that. I've tried clearing my cache. I've tried moving and re-adding my google accounts. I've even tried reformating my tablet.

I don't know if we have a chromebook thread but its probably dead anyways. Figured I'd ask here since a lot of you are google-centric.

Is there any way at all to get home sharing to my apple TV with a Chromebook? This is the only thing holding me back at the moment. I have a Mac and my only must have app is iTunes. I take it support will probably never come, right? No workarounds to make this work?

Groof

You know, my first smartphone was an S2 and now I'm on a Nexus 4, so I've always been 4.5" or above. So my gf comes around with her S3 Mini, and it's quite refreshing to be able to one-hand a phone like this, so I can certainly see the appeal of why people would get these.
Granted, she complains all the time about how small and shit it is.

You know, my first smartphone was an S2 and now I'm on a Nexus 4, so I've always been 4.5" or above. So my gf comes around with her S3 Mini, and it's quite refreshing to be able to one-hand a phone like this, so I can certainly see the appeal of why people would get these.
Granted, she complains all the time about how small and shit it is.

There's always a trade-off. Either you can see the Internet a lot better on a big screen, or you can one-hand it better on a small screen. I prefer seeing the Internet better, and I can actually one-hand my Note II reasonably well.

I had the funniest moment the other day with my boss, I was watching him doing something on his Droid RAZR M and he's a man with big hands. He was poking the screen with his pinky and I commented that if his phone was bigger he could actually navigate it with other fingers. He laughed and then looked sad and agreed with me and said he wished he had my Note II.

If you need something like a GS3 or Note over a 4" phone to "see the internet better", then I think you should get your eyes checked. I'd gladly pick a 4" or 4.3" phone with high end internals over the current batch.

If you need something like a GS3 or Note over a 4" phone to "see the internet better", then I think you should get your eyes checked. I'd gladly pick a 4" or 4.3" phone with high end internals over the current batch.

I'm severely nearsighted (-8.00 diopters in both eyes) and I get my eyes checked every year. Most people who have nearsightedness from birth never "recover" from it, so a big screen helps me a lot. We can't all be born with perfect 20/20 vision.

Groof

It's not always about seeing it better, as much as seeing more. Having bigger screen real estate equals more information on screen which leads to easier and faster navigation as well as less scrolling and zooming.

I'm severely nearsighted (-8.00 diopters in both eyes) and I get my eyes checked every year. Most people who have nearsightedness from birth never "recover" from it, so a big screen helps me a lot. We can't all be born with perfect 20/20 vision.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be options. There should be, by all means. I'm just bitter that there aren't enough that please me. But don't mind me, I was one of those people who couldn't see the need for 1080p screens on phones half a year ago (hurr).

It's not always about seeing it better, as much as seeing more. Having bigger screen real estate equals more information on screen which leads to easier and faster navigation as well as less scrolling and zooming.

But isn't that dependent on the screen resolution? A 4.3" 1080p screen should show you the same content that a 4.8" 1080p screen shows you.

Groof

But isn't that dependent on the screen resolution? A 4.3" 1080p screen should show you the same content than a 4.8" 1080p screen.

It could, but the screen size is still effectively smaller, thus finer and small print would be less visible than on the 4.8" phone. The Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 show almost the exact same amount of content on screen, but everything is clearly readable on the 7 without any zooming.

Chinner

Banned
is it possible to download apps to your computer then transfer them to your phone? got so wifi (on a dongle) and my service provider is throttling my mobile download speeds so bad i cant download anything!

Enable sideloading by going into Settings -> Security -> Unknown sources -> check box.

Download the apk you want to install, then transfer it to the phone any way you desire. For small apk's, I just copy it to my Dropbox and then download and install it on the phone.

Sideloading is really only useful for apps you can't get from Google Play. Otherwise even on WiFi your phone can install apps directly from the Play Store without any problems.

markot

Banned
biggest reason i dislike software buttons... wasting usable screen space

#teambuttons

I agree. Plus even when you watch something in side mode they can be there annoying you.

Technically my nexus 7 isnt even 1280x720 or whatever cause the pixels are eaten by buttons!

I dont get why google is in love with no buttons.

biggest reason i dislike software buttons... wasting usable screen space

#teambuttons

Yup. It was aggravating on my old Gnex that pretty much all games wouldn't hide the on-screen buttons, so I had these stupid buttons wasting space that could be used by the game. Also, the on-screen buttons caused awful burn-in on the Gnex's AMOLED screen so the few video player apps which properly full-screened and hid the buttons (YouTube, the stock Video Player, and MX Player) would eventually show the burned-in area of the screen as a brighter strip with the buttons permanently visible.

On-screen buttons was a solution searching for a problem which didn't exist. This is why the Android OEMs continue to stubbornly use hardware buttons, because there is no problem that on-screen buttons actually solves.

#teambuttons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom