• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I don't get it, can't ANYONE just get the new store apk and install it rather than wait for it to be officially rolled out.

I sideloaded the APK the day it came out and I've no issues. But I think it's out here already since a friend of mine got the update.

I know slow rollouts are frustrating, but they're necessary. At least Google gives you the option to sideload the new version, if you don't want to.

OK I got a hands on with the HTC One, not mine though..mine will be in tomorrow.

well....I think the built quality was kinda over hyped just a lil. It is the best looking/feeling android phone to date, feels very nice and premium(expensive)....BUT I don't think is as good as the Iphone 5 built quality wise..

Cipherr

Whats a safe site for getting .apks? I don't want to stumble on illegal shit or anything that may have malware thrown in.

I think someone posted a link to it in this thread. I would look a few pages back for it. I don't trust APK websites, but I will trust a GAF member uploading to a filehost somewhere.

OK I got a hands on with the HTC One, not mine though..mine will be in tomorrow.

well....I think the built quality was kinda over hyped just a lil. It is the best looking/feeling android phone to date....BUT I don't think is as good as the Iphone 5.

You are the first person I have heard say that. Same materials on both devices, but the One had a more rounded construction.

I think someone posted a link to it in this thread. I would look a few pages back for it. I don't trust APK websites, but I will trust a GAF member uploading to a filehost somewhere.

You are the first person I have heard say that. Same materials on both devices, but the One had a more rounded construction.

well the built quality is really really good, but I think the Iphone 5 has a better fit and finish.

actually the nokia pureview 808 has a better fit and finish than the HTC One..and I think the pureview is a piece of crap phone.

well....I think the built quality was kinda over hyped just a lil. It is the best looking/feeling android phone to date, feels very nice and premium(expensive)....BUT I don't think is as good as the Iphone 5 built quality wise..
well even that isn't a horrible thing, the iphone 5 has pretty excellent build quality. But I think the one is as good and arguably better. You're nuts on the 808 thing though. Nuuuuts.

Mostly cause the main store page is literally blank for Canada. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it was when the store first got rolled out in the US.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/VkZjb0W.png
ahh that sucks, google man. They need to stop this rolling out bullshit and just give it to everyone at once.

well even that isn't a horrible thing, the iphone 5 has pretty excellent build quality. But I think the one is as good and arguably better. You're nuts on the 808 thing though. Nuuuuts.

Well I'm a lil nit picking ....no doubt is the best built quality Android phone ever.

and no...the pureview 808 built quality is superb!!...best feeling plastic, rock solid, built like a tank, uniform gap and finish. Too bad the functionality and OS is junk...worst phone I ever had.

More motootororla talk from larry page:

Page hinted that Motorola's next devices could address some of the common durability complaints common on smartphones. Page touched on battery life, water damage, and drops — saying none of those things should be issues for smartphones.

actually there is this too:

Page said "Having just seen Motorola's upcoming products myself, I'm real excited about the potential there. In just under a year, they have accomplished a lot, and have impressive velocity and execution."
That was the only part worth mentioning, reiterating on things mentioned before that they are focusong on build quality/battery.

Talon

Well I'm a lil nit picking ....no doubt is the best built quality Android phone ever.

and no...the pureview 808 built quality is superb!!...best feeling plastic, rock solid, built like a tank, uniform gap and finish. Too bad the functionality and OS is junk...worst phone I ever had.
...I have to seriously question the judgment of somebody that bought the Pureview 808 to use as a phone.
Better than naming your child Steve Jobs or Micro Soft amirite
Did you get a chubby at the thought of that name?

Uhm... did no-one notice soldier DIDN'T deny being called Sam.

It's all fitting into place!

You can call me Sam if you want, but my real name isn't actually Sam or Samuel or any other name which includes Sam. I'm also not Korean, in fact I'm Chinese, so my last name doesn't contain any variation of Sung.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Ah! Just got a Nexus 10. This thing is amazing. Hopefully I can cheaply fix my TF101 and sell it off to recoup some of the costs on this.

Up next: Galaxy S4.

I don't get it, can't ANYONE just get the new store apk and install it rather than wait for it to be officially rolled out.

of course. some people just don't want to ... i dunno what they want to avoid ... it's like the people who do all sorts of tricks to get an OTA instead of just downloading the OTA ZIP.

why? i dunno.

Sung could be a Chinese last name. :)

Welp, guess I'm boned then.

In unrelated news, the new Play Store got pushed to my Note II today. It's, um, interesting. Apparently everything needs to be BIGGER and more Fisher-Price which means the My Apps list actually shows fewer apps on the screen now. Progress.

Welp, guess I'm boned then.

In unrelated news, the new Play Store got pushed to my Note II today. It's, um, interesting. Apparently everything needs to be BIGGER and more Fisher-Price which means the My Apps list actually shows fewer apps on the screen now. Progress.

indeed, PROGRESS!!!

wYB3uUm.png
HcxiavQ.png

Random question which I'm hoping someone here can assist with...

...I'd like to get myself a relatively cheap, but not shit, Android 4.0+ phone to do some development on / make use of a few apps. I have a tablet already which isn't too bad (Galaxy Tab 2) but I fancy messing around with a phone a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It wont be used as my main phone so it doesn't need to be particularly powerful or have an amazing battery life but obviously I don't want to buy any old garbage.

...I'd like to get myself a relatively cheap, but not shit, Android 4.0+ phone to do some development on / make use of a few apps. I have a tablet already which isn't too bad (Galaxy Tab 2) but I fancy messing around with a phone a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It wont be used as my main phone so it doesn't need to be particularly powerful or have an amazing battery life but obviously I don't want to buy any old garbage.

cheaper than a Nexus 4?

I honestly don't know what any of these things cost. I wont be getting it on a contract so I guess that should be in mind.

I'm happy enough with used if there's anything out there now that's selling for a good price as it's not quite state of the art.

tino

Banned

Used Razr or Galaxy Nexus.

Cipherr

I can sympathize with the less apps on screen in the new Play Store. But it is absolutely gorgeous. Sorry, it looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay better and is muuuuuch easier on the eyes. But then again, I love the Google Now design direction. The way the PlayStore mixes the Now design with Holo is just magnificent.

I honestly don't know what any of these things cost. I wont be getting it on a contract so I guess that should be in mind.

I'm happy enough with used if there's anything out there now that's selling for a good price as it's not quite state of the art.

You should look into a used Galaxy Nexus IMO. That or a used Nexus 4. It will be inexpensive, it will be perfect for developing since its a pure Android device, and funnily enough, it will get the newest updates (including the upcoming Android 5.0 update) on day 1.

Definitely the best options, especially if you aren't planning on having it be your daily driver. In that case a used Galaxy Nexus should be perfect if you can find a cheap one in good condition. Just make sure its a GSM and not a Verizon one.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

And you guys are crazy. Looks great just like Google Now does.

Looks great, reduced functionality. That's why I would have assumed it was an Apple thing. /rimshot

I can sympathize with the less apps on screen in the new Play Store. But it is absolutely gorgeous. Sorry, it looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay better and is muuuuuch easier on the eyes. But then again, I love the Google Now design direction. The way the PlayStore mixes the Now design with Holo is just magnificent.

It shows fewer apps at once. I get that it looks prettier, but Google could have made it prettier without reducing it's function. Actually it's kind of funny because Apple also went through an App Store redesign that reduced it's functionality and made it show fewer apps. I guess people really do prefer form over function in all cases. This explains why people have hard-ons for HTC devices.

mturco

Looks great, reduced functionality. That's why I would have assumed it was an Apple thing. /rimshot

It shows fewer apps at once. I get that it looks prettier, but Google could have made it prettier without reducing it's function. Actually it's kind of funny because Apple also went through an App Store redesign that reduced it's functionality and made it show fewer apps. I guess people really do prefer form over function in all cases. This explains why people have hard-ons for HTC devices.

Honestly, I'm not sure showing more apps at once makes it easier to use. In fact, if anything it makes it harder to look through results quickly because they're in two columns. With the new version you can just scroll quickly without looking left-to-right.

Yeah it looks tons better. Besides, it's a first iteration of a new look, I'm sure it'll be tweaked many a times. But overall it looks slick as hell. Yeah for power users it might be disappointing to not see as much as possible at once but still.

The worst part is that Apple didn't even invent this latest UI fad. Where the hell did it come from?

Good taste? The problem with the play store isn't the redesign or that you can see less apps on screen at any given time. It's the lack of an advanced search. Filter by date, downloads, rating, etc etc. For a search company Google do a pretty shit job of letting you search its store.

MiKeD

Banned
Anyone have a clue on how much it would cost me to get my internal speaker fixed (I got a Sony Ericsson X10 MiniPro)? I can't hear anyone when I'm trying to have a conversation but when I put them on loudspeaker, I can.

I called the store where I bought the device and I'd have to pay €40 in 'research costs' if I wouldn't agree with the eventual fixing costs. That's why I'm hoping someone here could give an estimate? Would be GREATLY appreciated.

gcubed

At least HTC got one of the two

is there a music player app that supports lock screen controls while using a pattern-unlock? (on an S3)

seems like most only support lock screen controls with a swipe-unlock.

buhdeh

is there a music player app that supports lock screen controls while using a pattern-unlock? (on an S3)

seems like most only support lock screen controls with a swipe-unlock.

google play does. most of them do but you need to disable the swipe unlock (i.e. so that it goes directly to the pattern unlock screen when you wake the phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom