• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxdoHawk

Anybody know how quickly Samsung generally releases official extended batteries? I can already tell I will want one for the S4. When I look in XDA threads and see people genuinely happy with something like the S4 getting 4-5 hours of "screen on" time with a charge, it just makes me sad.

I had one of those giant Seidio extendeds for my Galaxy Nexus, the tabs on the cheap plastic replacement back cover broke though and they wanted $15 for a replacement. :/ It looked like the S3 had a decent size official extended, so I'm hoping they are gonna go that route again...the official extended for the GNex was a joke.

Pctx

Banned
Anybody know how quickly Samsung generally releases official extended batteries? I can already tell I will want one for the S4. When I look in XDA threads and see people genuinely happy with something like the S4 getting 4-5 hours of "screen on" time with a charge, it just makes me sad.

I had one of those giant Seidio extendeds for my Galaxy Nexus, the tabs on the cheap plastic replacement back cover broke though and they wanted $15 for a replacement. :/ It looked like the S3 had a decent size official extended, so I'm hoping they are gonna go that route again...the official extended for the GNex was a joke.

Umm, you know that anything over 3 hours of screen time on most Android phones right now is a gift right? Also, AMOLED.

mturco

Not that I'm giving any credit to that image but... a 5MP front camera wouldn't be THAT insane. I mean the GS4's is 2MP and the One's is 2.1MP. The 2K video recording is more ridiculous in my opinion. Even 1080p video on most phones is choppy and not nearly as smooth as 720p.

TxdoHawk

Umm, you know that anything over 3 hours of screen time on most Android phones right now is a gift right? Also, AMOLED.

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm a heavy user. :) This is why I'm asking about extendeds and not posting a general whine about battery life on phones.

Pctx

Banned
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm a heavy user. :) This is why I'm asking about extendeds and not posting a general whine about battery life on phones.

Extended batteries usually show up 4-8 weeks after the phone launches. I would imagine we'll see the 3800+ mAH batteries on eBay and Amazon here soon. I could never deal with an extended battery that made the phone a Zach Morris phone.

8bit

Knows the Score
3TbxcVy.jpg

Andorid.

Lost the charger for my Sony Tablet S and all I can find online is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/supply-original-Sony-Tablet-SGP-T111DE/dp/B00ABOPA32/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1367322344&sr=8-21&keywords=sony+tablet+s

€66 is way too expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...Accessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item43b9726c34

Second hand maybe, but half the price.

Pctx

Banned
i'm at the point where i'll take a tegra 4i (or whatever the hell its called) with amazeballs battery life over the newest OMG OCTA WHOA WHOA WHOA chipset.

Like I said, both are/were being tested. I think Google may have learned their lesson with going with Nvidia this go round though.

gcubed

Like I said, both are/were being tested. I think Google may have learned their lesson with going with Nvidia this go round though.

I'm assuming their only other choice is the snapdragon 600 or 800. I'd like to at least see the 800 then if this phone is indeed "delayed (as delayed as a non announced phone can get)", a 28nm chip with the quick charge capability would be nice.

Pctx

Banned
I'm assuming their only other choice is the snapdragon 600 or 800. I'd like to at least see the 800 then if this phone is indeed "delayed (as delayed as a non announced phone can get)", a 28nm chip with the quick charge capability would be nice.

I'm putting my money on the 600 and the 800 later on. The 600 has shown itself to be a worthy chip.

gcubed

I'm putting my money on the 600 and the 800 later on. The 600 has shown itself to be a worthy chip.

yeah, but man, if they are holding off already, the 800 is mass producing in May, on a 28nm process, and has quick charging (as well as built in wireless AC, built in miracast). If you're going to waiting until edge of fall, may as well wait for a superior chip. It has nothing to do with the extra power, the extra features and smaller process will help with power usage (well, probably break even with the more powerful adreno)

Nvidia have said Tegra 4i devices to be shipping at the end of the year so are you boys expecting the mythical seXPhone to ship in December that's a long way away from August.

Secondly single channel memory on Tegra 4i with Cortex A9 sorry nVidia but no buy.

If Qualcomm get Snapdragon 800 out by August they will be so far ahead of nVidia it's not even funny.

gcubed

Nvidia have said Tegra 4i devices to be shipping at the end of the year so are you boys expecting the mythical seXPhone to ship in December that's a long way away from August.

Secondly single channel memory on Tegra 4i with Cortex A9 sorry nVidia but no buy.

If Qualcomm get Snapdragon 800 out by August they will be so far ahead of nVidia it's not even funny.

didn't know the T4i dropped that far off the schedule, nevermind then

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In other dumb news BlackBerry's head said

1) He expects BlackBerry to be top of the heap in 5 years

And

2) The tablet market won't exist in 5 years

Schlep

Fail.

HTC won man. I love my removable batteries and MicroSD, but the One just seems to be the overall better device IMO.

Some shameful shit Samsung.
If you like playing a lot of mobile games, then obviously 9GB isn't going to be enough. For most people (myself included), 9GB is fine and I can buy a 64GB flash for pictures/videos/podcasts. The lack of removable battery and no flash storage on the One killed it for me. I think the One resale market is going to be rough after a year or two as well as people realize that once the battery starts to die, you have to basically get a new phone.

gcubed

If you like playing a lot of mobile games, then obviously 9GB isn't going to be enough. For most people (myself included), 9GB is fine and I can buy a 64GB flash for pictures/videos/podcasts. The lack of removable battery and no flash storage on the One killed it for me. I think the One resale market is going to be rough after a year or two as well as people realize that once the battery starts to die, you have to basically get a new phone.

i have an incredibly small amount of things on my phone, a handful of games, and not very many apps. I have 8gb used.

Schlep

i have an incredibly small amount of things on my phone, a handful of games, and not very many apps. I have 8gb used.
My Nexus 7 is my main computer and I've used 6.53GB. That's including 9 installed games, 1 of which is very large (1.94GB).

gcubed

My Nexus 7 is my main computer and I've used 6.53GB. That's including 9 installed games, 1 of which is very large (1.94GB).

most of my apps have some decent size caches along with the games, sure i can clean them out from time to time to make room, but i got rid of my Nexus One for a reason

Best not come out in Sept+ with an S600. What is this Sony?

To be fair Motorola probably aren't a big enough buyer to get S800 during the first round of shipments. I'm almost certain Sony are in for their phablet and H2 phones, HTC will get it because Qualcomm need to boost that share price, LG are already testing a phone with it, Samsung are a huge buyer but they will probably use their own solution for the Note 3 and tablets. After that 28nm HPM at TSMC is running at full capacity so Moto just wouldn't get a look in. They seriously aren't a big enough customer for Qualcomm to give preference shipmets to.

gcubed

To be fair Motorola probably aren't a big enough buyer to get S800 during the first round of shipments. I'm almost certain Sony are in for their phablet and H2 phones, HTC will get it because Qualcomm need to boost that share price, LG are already testing a phone with it, Samsung are a huge buyer but they will probably use their own solution for the Note 3 and tablets. After that 28nm HPM at TSMC is running at full capacity so Moto just wouldn't get a look in. They seriously aren't a big enough customer for Qualcomm to give preference shipmets to.

i'm pretty sure google will get whatever the hell they want if they are going to build a feature around something in Qualcomm's chipset and publicly tout its usage on their OS. Not everything is customer size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom