• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
nexus-4-lte.jpg

/shrug

Pctx

Banned
16gb and no sd card? Do not want.

This meme is getting old. I'm on an 8GB device and I would venture that most space on Android phones goes unused by the general populous. Power users are the only ones pissed off which I bet represents less than 1% of the Android population in total.

reKon

Banned
This meme is getting old. I'm on an 8GB device and I would venture that most space on Android phones goes unused by the general populous. Power users are the only ones pissed off which I bet represents less than 1% of the Android population in total.

shut up you

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I'm very happy for you and the general population that uses less than 8gb, whatever the actual number is. I use and love cloud services, but apps are getting bigger and cell phone data speeds and bandwidth caps aren't the same for everyone.

When I posted, I did so on my behalf, but its good to know there are still people out there willing to stand up for the average person being oppressed by exorbitant and excessive amounts of built in and expandable storage on their devices.

Meh at that nexus 4 lte reveal.

CES was a disappointment
Haswell a let down
MWC useless

Now Google io looks rather dull especially if no nexus 7 refresh.

How much worse can this year get #firstworldproblems

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd be down for a Nexus 4 LTE if:

- Battery life is substantially improved from the GN 4G (like, doubled, maybe even tripled, at a minimum (not a hard feat I think considering how terrible the GN's battery was.))
- Updates straight from Google

I believe that if Google is going forward with this, it means they've somehow swung it with Verizon to control the OS. Either that, or this is just for ATT/T-Mo's newborn LTE networks...

gcubed

I'd be down for a Nexus 4 LTE if:

- Battery life is substantially improved from the GN 4G (like, doubled, maybe even tripled, at a minimum (not a hard feat I think considering how terrible the GN's battery was.))
- Updates straight from Google

I believe that if Google is going forward with this, it means they've somehow swung it with Verizon to control the OS. Either that, or this is just for ATT/T-Mo's newborn LTE networks...

yeah, this will have nothing to do with Verizon.

Pctx

Banned
shut up you
*hugs*

I'm very happy for you and the general population that uses less than 8gb, whatever the actual number is. I use and love cloud services, but apps are getting bigger and cell phone data speeds and bandwidth caps aren't the same for everyone.

When I posted, I did so on my behalf, but its good to know there are still people out there willing to stand up for the average person being oppressed by exorbitant and excessive amounts of built in and expandable storage on their devices.

The thing is, apps that can be run off an external SD run like shit so why taint the user experience? Also, as many people have said, how do you explain that to people? Oh yes, I'll download and install the app to my external microSD from the Google Play store. It's a mess. Unless Android handles it seamlessly then again, its a feature only some are going to use; Much like physical keyboards, the SD slot on phones is being a mute point. Now tablets, that is another story.

gcubed

*hugs*

The thing is, apps that can be run off an external SD run like shit so why taint the user experience? Also, as many people have said, how do you explain that to people? Oh yes, I'll download and install the app to my external microSD from the Google Play store. It's a mess. Unless Android handles it seamlessly then again, its a feature only some are going to use; Much like physical keyboards, the SD slot on phones is being a mute point. Now tablets, that is another story.

sd slots on phones aren't a moot point, they are good for storing video and music. They are *NOT* good as a supplement to shitty internal storage. I thought we got over this garbage YEARS ago with the Nexus One

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Meh at that nexus 4 lte reveal.

CES was a disappointment
Haswell a let down
MWC useless

Now Google io looks rather dull especially if no nexus 7 refresh.

How much worse can this year get #firstworldproblems

When was the N7 refresh rumor debunked?

Pctx

Banned
sd slots on phones aren't a moot point, they are good for storing video and music. They are *NOT* good as a supplement to shitty internal storage. I thought we got over this garbage YEARS ago with the Nexus One

Storing music, video and media purchased through digital channels? No; Hence why they are a moot point from Google's perspective. Of course choice is always there to find a phone that has them but Google is done with the SD card.

gcubed

Storing music, video and media purchased through digital channels? No; Hence why they are a moot point from Google's perspective. Of course choice is always there to find a phone that has them but Google is done with the SD card.

of course google is, but not in general... also doesn't google music store cached files on an SD card (i have no idea).

Nicktendo86

This might be a silly question, would a 3g sim card work with a hypothetical lte nexus 4? My thinking is if they bring out a lte version they would almost certainly bump up the battery so I could get some benefit with that?

gcubed

This might be a silly question, would a 3g sim card work with a hypothetical lte nexus 4? My thinking is if they bring out a lte version they would almost certainly bump up the battery so I could get some benefit with that?

the current Nexus 4 is LTE, they just have the radio disabled. A 3G sim should work fine, it will still have a 3G radio in it

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have more than 8gb of apps on a phone I bought six months ago, on a platform that is often made fun of for its lack of apps and games. 16gb with no SD to offload media is not acceptable. To me. Its not a meme for me, its not me being unreasonable, its what I personally need.

Pctx

Banned
3G/4G card works fine. The bands are HSPA/HSPA+. Faster speeds are found on Tmo but AT&T works fine which is what I'm running.
the current Nexus 4 is LTE, they just have the radio disabled. A 3G sim should work fine, it will still have a 3G radio in it
Yup, of course the LTE bands are not in the US as I think they are only in Canada IIRC.
I have more than 8gb of apps on a phone I bought six months ago, on a platform that is often made fun of for its lack of apps and games. 16gb with no SD to offload media is not acceptable. To me. Its not a meme for me, its not me being unreasonable, its what I personally need.
Calm down big guy. I think my main point of the "meme getting old" is that 8GB for a phone device is quite a bit but not for everyone. I can't imagine having 8GB worth of apps but I don't use the phone like you do. There's plenty of options and I don't think they will go away anytime soon but an SD card in a Nexus phone or equiv won't happen anytime soon for the reasons I mentioned.

I understand where you are coming from, but it isn't like there's a lack of Android phones that would meet your needs. Sure the M4 ain't one, but isn't that also Androids greatest strength? Choice? And it isn't like this is a highly anticipated phone which turned out to be a letdown, or that HTC promised this model would have the features you want. Up until today I actually thought the M4 was the codename for the HTC One...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No just teasing about how not everything is for everybody.

Well you botched the analogy. To be accurate, Samsung would announce the tv, I would say (not yell in all caps) that its not for me because I need 3d and then pctx would jump on me because 99% of people don't use 3d even when they have it. I wouldn't disagree with him, but rather point out that 3d is useful, many movies come out in 3d, and so its a feature I need in a tv.

I think I can get an S3 now for the same price as an N4, but then I'd have to use touchwiz or go through the effort of hacking my phone to run stock. It would be easier for me if the N4 had an SD slot. What would android-GAF do?

Well you botched the analogy. To be accurate, Samsung would announce the tv, I would say (not yell in all caps) that its not for me because I need 3d and then pctx would jump on me because 99% of people don't use 3d even when they have it. I wouldn't disagree with him, but rather point out that 3d is useful, many movies come out in 3d, and so its a feature I need in a tv.

I think I can get an S3 now for the same price as an N4, but then I'd have to use touchwiz or go through the effort of hacking my phone to run stock. It would be easier for me if the N4 had an SD slot. What would android-GAF do?

You have to ask yourself why you'd be buying an N4 in the first place if memory size is a killer for you.

If it's because you'll get stock Android updates quickly, there are root scenes for other handsets which should reasonably quickly get AOSP roms. The only issue is stability.

If you can use cloud services for media (all my pictures are in Picasa, all my music on Google Music) then that helps solve large chunks of the storage problem and you should get an N4.

Of course you could wait til i/o to see if the 32gb + LTE Nexus 4 rumour comes true..

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If it's true that the x phone is delayed till august or later I could see them updating the nexus 4 with that stuff just to keep it going a bit longer. And PCTX where is the mock up man. Is it this one :p

Man those widgets are awful, as is the text beneath pinned apps. LAME

tino

Banned
All Motorola phones look ugly. It's their ugly logo. Even Samsung logo is less ugly.

Motorola should just use the round emblem.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The shitty wallpaper and the motorola logo do make it look ten times worse lol.

like the leaked motorola phone?:

Why have it crammed on the front too? Motorola needs to ease back on the branding. Take some cues from the Chromebook Pixel, ya knuckleheads.

SUPREME1

Banned
Anyone else rocking an Optimus G these days?

I brought up the same question in a thread (cameras shoot out) a few days ago.

I don't think anyone responded.

So, anyone else have one? Thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom