• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just upgraded from a iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3. This is my first Android phone. I have 2 questions.

1. What are the biggest advatages of rooting and is it worth it
2. I may root my S3, but it also needs unlocking to all networks, does rooting do this too

You can get rid of carrier bloat. I think it's worth it. You can also install CWM which means decent backups. I don't think Samsung's stock backup solution is very good.

Just upgraded from a iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3. This is my first Android phone. I have 2 questions.

1. What are the biggest advatages of rooting and is it worth it
2. I may root my S3, but it also needs unlocking to all networks, does rooting do this too
Advantage of rooting is installing custom ROMs, getting rid of bloatware, etc...Not completely dissimilar to jailbreaking on the iphone. Lets you do a lot more if you're into that. Touchwiz sucks ass on samsung phones so put cyanogen mod on it.

You should keep in mind though that unlike jailbreaking, rooting and flashing custom ROMs is not nearly as easy. To any noob I say tread carefully.

KAL2006

Banned
Does anyone have a link to a guide on how to root an S3 as well as the best customization for it.

EDIT:
found a decent site for rooting, but now need to know about best (ROMS) customizations

Does anyone have a link to a guide on how to root an S3 as well as the best customization for it.

EDIT:
found a decent site for rooting, but now need to know about best (ROMS) customizations
xda forums man. That site is an absolute nightmare to read but it's one of the more essential ones if you're going to get into the rooting/flashing game. Better to learn to use it now than later.

KAL2006

Banned
Okay folks I have rooted my S3, but everything seems the same. Still on official firmware and havent lost anything, I expected everything to be wiped. The only difference is I got a new app called "SuperSU". Can anyone guide me what to do next with a rooted S3.

I highly doubt removable battery and microSD are pure deciding factors. The majority of casuals don't give a crap about those things. I love how you mentioned the "copy Apple route" when Samsung is the biggest culprit. Hell it might even be the biggest reason to their success.

The argument that most people don't care about this and that is a fallacy. You're right that most people don't. But people like options and Samsung devices offer the most options and flexibility. Quite frankly if you hate options and flexibility you already own an iPhone, so the manufacturers chasing Apple now have already lost. Meanwhile Samsung is winning big, and to pretend that the options they provide have nothing to do with it is the kind of suicidal thinking that has led HTC to the brink and Motorola, the company which literally invented the mobile phone, to be broken up and it's spare parts sold to a company whose most well-known product is a search engine and their primary revenue from Internet advertising.

Also, continuing to accuse Samsung of copying Apple *NOW* betrays a fundamental lack of understanding of how Samsung got where they are today. Pointing a finger at Samsung now is basically trying to close the barn door about 40 years after the horse bolted, because the strategy of starting out in a new market by copying the leader and then rapidly iterating wasn't even a Korean strategy to begin with, much less one Samsung came up with.

It was a strategy borrowed from the Japanese, who entered American markets in the 1970's by copying leading American products and rapidly iterating until they had established themselves and then moved on to systematically destroy American domestic industries. Less than 20 years after the Japanese entered the market, there was no longer a single American domestic TV manufacturer. The Japanese called their methodology of constant iterative improvement kaizen and it has become a cornerstone of business school curriculums.

The Koreans saw what the Japanese did and decided they could do it to the Japanese the same way the Japanese did it to the Americans. Japan hit a wall when their stock market and real estate bubble exploded and never recovered, but not for economic reasons. I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture but I don't pretend to be an expert. I can only say that certain elements of their business culture prevented them from recovering from the bust that seems to happen every decade or so in a regular cycle after a boom.

So here come the Koreans. They entered the TV market almost precisely the same way the Japanese did a few decades prior, feeding at the bottom and iterating rapidly, and in less than a decade Samsung and LG drove once-mighty companies like Sharp and Panasonic to the brink of bankruptcy. Since we are on GAF I shouldn't fail to mention Sony, who have only themselves come back from the brink because of markets like game consoles and mobile phones and by bringing in CEOs trained and forged in Sony's divisions outside of Japan, first Howard Stringer and then Kaz Hirai, to lead the company. Their TV business hasn't made a profit in over a decade and they are betting on several long shots to survive the withering Korean assault and realistically they will have to pack it up and leave the TV market if their last resorts don't pan out.

Now this little lesson in recent business history brings me to Samsung. They did exactly the same thing to Apple they did to Sony in TVs nearly a decade prior. They copied Apple and then iterated rapidly starting with the original Galaxy S. Less than 2 years later, their fourth-generation Galaxy S3 is barely recognizable when placed side-by-side with an iPhone. (I said fourth-generation because there was a little-known original Samsung Galaxy, the Galaxy S was their second-generation Android smartphone.) There is no one now who thinks Samsung's current products are copies of Apple's.

So Samsung did the same thing that has been happening for 40 years, they copied Apple to gain a foothold, iterated much faster than Apple did, and now they have established a recognizable and unique brand of devices entirely different from Apple's. The funniest thing about Apple's lawsuit against Samsung was that by the time the case reached trial and deliberations were completed, all of Samsung's products already looked completely different from Apple's and were in every way superior in function. They did exactly the same thing to Apple in just 4 years that they did to Sony in TVs in a decade. The pace of this business technique is accelerating.

Now if I were Samsung I would be watching my rearview mirror because objects there are larger than they appear and here come the Chinese and they have now seen the Japanese and Koreans use this market entry method with absolutely devastating effect. I've spent the last 2 weeks in China as a tourist looking at pretty things but it's hard to not travel through China and see the world's next superpower in adolescence. China has already surpassed Japan as the world's second largest economy and they have a huge advantage over both South Korea and Japan in a massive population which is increasingly well-educated and abundant natural resources.

China has already in the past few decades become the world's factory. Since they already build everything sold by Japan and Korea, they already have the knowledge and techniques to manufacture everything. There can be little doubt that the next Samsung is going to be from China. Maybe it will be an established name like Huawei or Lenovo. Maybe it will be someone we're never heard of before. But let's not pretend that there is anything exceptional about Samsung, not when people once believed there was once something exceptional about Sony and now look at them. And the next company won't be exceptional either, they'll just be meaner and hungrier and even better prepared than Samsung was. The cycle will continue.

Okay folks I have rooted my S3, but everything seems the same. Still on official firmware and havent lost anything, I expected everything to be wiped. The only difference is I got a new app called "SuperSU". Can anyone guide me what to do next with a rooted S3.
install ClockWorkMod Recovery

Then:
cyanogenmod 10.1 m3 build

Seek it. Flash it. Bye bye touchwiz.

I know this isn't that helpful but I'm really lazy. Give you some key things to google/look up on XDA until someone more useful responds :p

KAL2006

Banned

Then:

I know this isn't that helpful but I'm really lazy. Give you some key things to google/look up on XDA until someone more useful responds :p

thanks, any idea how to make the S3 work with any network, i inserted my sim and i get the message "Sim network unlock PIN" i need to type in.

VoxPop

The argument that most people don't care about this and that is a fallacy. You're right that most people don't. But people like options and Samsung devices offer the most options and flexibility. Quite frankly if you hate options and flexibility you already own an iPhone, so the manufacturers chasing Apple now have already lost. Meanwhile Samsung is winning big, and to pretend that the options they provide have nothing to do with it is the kind of suicidal thinking that has led HTC to the brink and Motorola, the company which literally invented the mobile phone, to be broken up and it's spare parts sold to a company whose most well-known product is a search engine and their primary revenue from Internet advertising.

Also, continuing to accuse Samsung of copying Apple *NOW* betrays a fundamental lack of understanding of how Samsung got where they are today. Pointing a finger at Samsung now is basically trying to close the barn door about 40 years after the horse bolted, because the strategy of starting out in a new market by copying the leader and then rapidly iterating wasn't even a Korean strategy to begin with, much less one Samsung came up with.

It was a strategy borrowed from the Japanese, who entered American markets in the 1970's by copying leading American products and rapidly iterating until they had established themselves and then moved on to systematically destroy American domestic industries. Less than 20 years after the Japanese entered the market, there was no longer a single American domestic TV manufacturer. The Japanese called their methodology of constant iterative improvement kaizen and it has become a cornerstone of business school curriculums.

The Koreans saw what the Japanese did and decided they could do it to the Japanese the same way the Japanese did it to the Americans. Japan hit a wall when their stock market and real estate bubble exploded and never recovered, but not for economic reasons. I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture but I don't pretend to be an expert. I can only say that certain elements of their business culture prevented them from recovering from the bust that seems to happen every decade or so in a regular cycle after a boom.

So here come the Koreans. They entered the TV market almost precisely the same way the Japanese did a few decades prior, feeding at the bottom and iterating rapidly, and in less than a decade Samsung and LG drove once-mighty companies like Sharp and Panasonic to the brink of bankruptcy. Since we are on GAF I shouldn't fail to mention Sony, who have only themselves come back from the brink because of markets like game consoles and mobile phones and by bringing in CEOs trained and forged in Sony's divisions outside of Japan, first Howard Stringer and then Kaz Hirai, to lead the company. Their TV business hasn't made a profit in over a decade and they are betting on several long shots to survive the withering Korean assault and realistically they will have to pack it up and leave the TV market if their last resorts don't pan out.

Now this little lesson in recent business history brings me to Samsung. They did exactly the same thing to Apple they did to Sony in TVs nearly a decade prior. They copied Apple and then iterated rapidly starting with the original Galaxy S. Less than 2 years later, their fourth-generation Galaxy S3 is barely recognizable when placed side-by-side with an iPhone. (I said fourth-generation because there was a little-known original Samsung Galaxy, the Galaxy S was their second-generation Android smartphone.) There is no one now who thinks Samsung's current products are copies of Apple's.

So Samsung did the same thing that has been happening for 40 years, they copied Apple to gain a foothold, iterated much faster than Apple did, and now they have established a recognizable and unique brand of devices entirely different from Apple's. The funniest thing about Apple's lawsuit against Samsung was that by the time the case reached trial and deliberations were completed, all of Samsung's products already looked completely different from Apple's and were in every way superior in function. They did exactly the same thing to Apple in just 4 years that they did to Sony in TVs in a decade. The pace of this business technique is accelerating.

Now if I were Samsung I would be watching my rearview mirror because objects there are larger than they appear and here come the Chinese and they have now seen the Japanese and Koreans use this market entry method with absolutely devastating effect. I've spent the last 2 weeks in China as a tourist looking at pretty things but it's hard to not travel through China and see the world's next superpower in adolescence. China has already surpassed Japan as the world's second largest economy and they have a huge advantage over both South Korea and Japan in a massive population which is increasingly well-educated and abundant natural resources.

China has already in the past few decades become the world's factory. Since they already build everything sold by Japan and Korea, they already have the knowledge and techniques to manufacture everything. There can be little doubt that the next Samsung is going to be from China. Maybe it will be an established name like Huawei or Lenovo. Maybe it will be someone we're never heard of before. But let's not pretend that there is anything exceptional about Samsung, not when people once believed there was once something exceptional about Sony and now look at them. And the next company won't be exceptional either, they'll just be meaner and hungrier and even better prepared than Samsung was. The cycle will continue.

Didn't need an entire Korean history essay to be honest.

TV's and phones are two completely different beasts so please don't compare the two. I never said I had anything against "options". I just said that microSD and removable arent huge factors when purchasing a phone for a good chunk of people.

Samsung hasn't advanced anything aside from high level manufacturing. Gimmicky features like Smart Scroll and S-Translator don't do anything to advance tech honestly. The idea of a larger screen first came with the Evo or Streak. Samsung heavily relies on Android which is mostly all Google's work and somehow manage to make it worse by bogging it down with Touchwiz. We all saw their terrible software on their featurephones and non-Android smartphones.

Not saying they haven't come far from what they used to be but praising Samsung while they ride the coattails of other more innovative companies is kinda hilarious.

Pctx

Banned

We need a snickers video for this post....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixNh9L7G5M

KAL2006

Banned

Then:

ANy good guide on how to install cyanogenmod, I also dont need to worry about backing up anything as the phone is fresh, just bought it.

So Google Goggles is officially the coolest app ever. Set up a customers BB Q10 earlier and it was all in Czech for some reason. Took a pic of the settings screen and got it all translated in English in seconds.

So good.

ANy good guide on how to install cyanogenmod, I also dont need to worry about backing up anything as the phone is fresh, just bought it.
http://www.redmondpie.com/install-android-4.2.2-on-galaxy-s3-gt-i9300-cm-10.1-how-to-tutorial/

except get your version of CM from this link rather than the one there: http://get.cm/?type=snapshot

So Google Goggles is officially the coolest app ever. Set up a customers BB Q10 earlier and it was all in Czech for some reason. Took a pic of the settings screen and got it all translated in English in seconds.

So good.
not as cool as that word lens app on iOS, that shit is futuristic. Though they do nickle and dime you on word lens to get languages.

KAL2006

Banned
I highly doubt removable battery and microSD are pure deciding factors. The majority of casuals don't give a crap about those things. I love how you mentioned the "copy Apple route" when Samsung is the biggest culprit. Hell it might even be the biggest reason to their success.

indeed, copying Apple's success is the biggest sin of them all.

not as cool as that word lens app on iOS, that shit is futuristic. Though they do nickle and dime you on word lens to get languages.

Word Lens has been on Android for a year now

FLEABttn

Banned
That Google Now app keeps following the Yankees. I've never googled the Yankees, I don't follow the Yankees, I tell it to stop following the damn Yankees, how can I make this stop?

Cudder

That Google Now app keeps following the Yankees. I've never googled the Yankees, I don't follow the Yankees, I tell it to stop following the damn Yankees, how can I make this stop?

You are now a Yankees fan. Google Now dictates the direction of everyone's life.

so yeah, looks like Acer has not given up the tablet market yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81OWbBgNxAY

Acer Iconia A1

GbgZg2t.jpg

7.9"1024x768 4:3 Capacitive IPS
MediaTek MT8125 (4-core, 1.20GHz, Cortex-A9)
PowerVR SGX 544MP1
1GB of RAM
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
5MP rear and VGA front camera
1080p video recording
Wifi
Bluetooth
GPS
Accelerometer
Gyroscope.
micro USB
micro HDMI
microSD
3250 mAh battery
11.10 mm thick
460 grams
8GB @ $169
16GB @ $199.99
Launches in June

your mom has been on android for a year now

two years now. and she got a GS4 this week.

So is this the week of old android news becoming new news. First the x phone leaks and it's the same phone that leaked 2 months ago, and now there is news making rounds on android sites that LG is making the next nexus phone, something else that also hit the web a while ago.

giga

so yeah, looks like Acer has not given up the tablet market yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81OWbBgNxAY

Acer Iconia A1

GbgZg2t.jpg

7.9"1024x768 4:3 Capacitive IPS
MediaTek MT8125 (4-core, 1.20GHz, Cortex-A9)
PowerVR SGX 544MP1
1GB of RAM
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
5MP rear and VGA front camera
1080p video recording
Wifi
Bluetooth
GPS
Accelerometer
Gyroscope.
micro USB
micro HDMI
microSD
3250 mAh battery
11.10 mm thick
460 grams
8GB @ $169
16GB @ $199.99
Launches in June
This thing is a year late. Same or worse specs than the N7, why? 460 grams!?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So is this the week of old android news becoming new news. First the x phone leaks and it's the same phone that leaked 2 months ago, and now there is news making rounds on android sites that LG is making the next nexus phone, something else that also hit the web a while ago.

Look at us, we're like smack/heroin addicts

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This thing is a year late. Same or worse specs than the N7, why? 460 grams!?

It is almost a full inch bigger though with a micro SD slot.

Wish the hardware was better though. Screen res is less than the Nexus 7, but the screen size is more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom