• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

I know pie controls are in liquid smooth but CM doesn't have them yet. The latest night lies are much smoother than M3 and with KT747, battery life and stability aew much improved. Haven't had one crash/reboot/SOD since installing that kernel.
Which nightly are you using?

Android's done. Only 32.66 more quarters, and it will be trumped by Windows Phone!

p3Owxwl.png

(based on comScore data for the first quarter of 2013 in the US)

You should post this in the Windows Phone thread.

Matugi

I seriously hope Babel has SMS integration. The only thing I don't like on Android is the inability to group message easily.

Big battery, small size (which looks possible with that bezel, or at least somewhat small relative to other phones) and decent camera. That's all the nexus needs.

Anyway I don't put too much stock into anything nexus related, that's so far away. I don't think the Nexus 4 looks a ton like the optimus G anyway so that whole connection isn't that great.

mturco

Wonder how many of these I'll have to go through before I get one that works lol.

Fucking LG.

Sorry.

Yeah not thrilled about the idea of LG making another Nexus, but at least the bezel would be pretty thin from the looks of it. Plus if they can keep it around $300-$400 again, that would be huge.

I think I'd take LG over Samsung anyway.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Yeah not thrilled about the idea of LG making another Nexus, but at least the bezel would be pretty thin from the looks of it. Plus if they can keep it around $300-$400 again, that would be huge.

I think I'd take LG over Samsung anyway.

That's what I thought until my 7 Nexus 4 replacements. At this point I'd even take a HTC phone. Ugh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
N4 beats the GN hands down, so I don't know why anyone's complaining. The Nexus One and 4 were the pinnacle of design and build quality when they released, while the NS and GN were plasticky shite. Two strikes for Samsung, let's not give them a third.

On the other hand, I'd rather have a Sony Nexus just to see how they'd approach it (and because the camera would be fantastic.) Or HTC again, it's been far too long. Hell Moto could make a decent Nexus if they focused on their strengths (battery, industrial materials) with some Google influence (handset design, software.)

mturco

Probably wise haha.

N4 beats the GN hands down, so I don't know why anyone's complaining. The Nexus One and 4 were the pinnacle of design and build quality when they released, while the NS and GN were plasticky shite. Two strikes for Samsung, let's not give them a third.

On the other hand, I'd rather have a Sony Nexus just to see how they'd approach it (and because the camera would be fantastic.) Or HTC again, it's been far too long. Hell Moto could make a decent Nexus if they focused on their strengths (battery, industrial materials) with some Google influence (handset design, software.)

Well that's true. I'm just not a huge fan of using glass for the back. And yeah I wanted Sony to make it until I read reviews for the Xperia Z. HTC would make a great looking phone with terrible battery life. Suddenly LG looks pretty decent.

I guarantee you google got more freedom in designing the nexus 4 with LG than they did desining the Gnex with samsung.

Me thinks google likes LG.

mturco

I guarantee you google got more freedom in designing the nexus 4 with LG than they did desining the Gnex with samsung.

Me thinks google likes LG.

I definitely agree they controlled the design more for the N4, but I think Google is able to do whatever they want. They could just choose a different OEM otherwise. Honestly I don't think Google cared much about design at all until recently, and that goes for both software and hardware (and not just for Android either).

DXPett1

Agreed. How quickly the GN got scratched up was incredible. LG also got accessories out closely after launch (well the bumper at least).

If Google introduced a Nexus that was a large screen device (ala Note) they could have 4 different manufactures working on Nexus devices.

I'm fairly happy with LG and their Nexus efforts although I would might others have a go bar Samsung (Sony, Moto or even full circle back to HTC after apparently everyone likes the One)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
And why is that? LG makes better looking phones and doesn't really do anything worse than Samsung does other than software (which obviously doesn't matter for a Nexus).

Better looking sure but I doubt Samsung has brutal quality assurance like LG.

bob page

Ah, I started using Slim Bean build 5. Everything seems good so far. The integrated pie controls on it are really nice.

I think the recent CM nightlies actually have pie controls, but you have to enable them through some option or something (expanded desktop maybe)?

Groof

I still find the N4 to be a beautiful device in terms of hardware design, look and feel. So needless to say I'm quite excited to see what LG and Google can cook up for the Nextus! As history would have it, two phones per OEM, right?

oh and I'm on the hunt for some nice pixel art type wallpapers, preferably fighting games. Anyone know any? I made one myself last night but I'd wager there are people better than me out there.

I really can't get away from PAC. I don't get why some people think "too many options" is a thing. Not like you NEED to use them.

Though I'm going to try a Revolt ROM soon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Agreed completely. The N4 is such a nicely designed phone. It's not built well but it's way better than any Samsung Nexii.

Toki767

Pie controls are just so amazing. Just having everything you need right under your thumb is pretty damn convenient. Google needs to implement this in their next OS.

jMU06BXl4qnSd.png

Toki767

If I move it to the bottom, it pulls pie up when I'm scrolling down. If I move it to the left or right, it screws me up when I'm scrolling in landscape.

And when I'm trying to quick switch tabs in chrome.

Ah, I'm always in portrait so I never have the landscape problem. I just feel like it makes one handed navigation on what will be 5 inch phones much more viable.

Groof

I always felt PIE gets in the way of swiping in from the sides even in portrait. Granted I haven't played with it a whole lot, but it got in the way of that a bit too much right from the get go so I gave it up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I move it to the bottom, it pulls pie up when I'm scrolling down. If I move it to the left or right, it screws me up when I'm scrolling in landscape.

And when I'm trying to quick switch tabs in chrome.

Slide from the bezel to the screen. Don't start swiping from the screen.

Toki767

I always felt PIE gets in the way of swiping in from the sides even in portrait. Granted I haven't played with it a whole lot, but it got in the way of that a bit too much right from the get go so I gave it up.

I have to make a pretty concerted effort to bring up pie. The only thing that even uses swiping in from the sides that I know of is switching tabs in Chrome.

Bboy AJ

Er... That brings up pie even more often.

Oh. I must have misread what you wanted. Yup, that's the best way to bring up Pie. It's the only way my N4 brings up Pie, actually.

Groof

I have to make a pretty concerted effort to bring up pie. The only thing that even uses swiping in from the sides that I know of is switching tabs in Chrome.

Slide in menus and what have you. Also gesture typing from the outermost characters. Granted I only used one of those apps that give you PIE-like controls and not Paranoid Android, but I'd wager they're not that much different?

Toki767

Slide in menus and what have you. Also gesture typing from the outermost characters. Granted I only used one of those apps that give you PIE-like controls and not Paranoid Android, but I'd wager they're not that much different?

I tried LMT Launcher for a bit, which is probably what you used. The ones built into the ROM are much nicer and not buggy. You can also set which part of the sides you want to trigger the controls. Whether it be the entire length of a side or just one particular spot. The experience is a lot better.

Guys complaining about PIE should use lmt controls instead basically the same thing but you can set zones so can say bring PIE only when you press middle of the screen that way you can swipe from the top or bottom to switch tabs.

I wish rotation on the Slim Bean rom for my phone worked, damnit. It looks so nice.

Also, pie is built into my rom and is still bothering me.

Groof

I tried LMT Launcher for a bit, which is probably what you used. The ones built into the ROM are much nicer and not buggy. You can also set which part of the sides you want to trigger the controls. Whether it be the entire length of a side or just one particular spot. The experience is a lot better.

You could set the area of it in LMT as well, but it would make sense for PA to be less buggy. But I've just been a bit against using custom ROMs on my N4 because I'd like to be as stock as possible.

You could set the area of it in LMT as well, but it would make sense for PA to be less buggy. But I've just been a bit against using custom ROMs on my N4 because I'd like to be as stock as possible.

Try SuperNexus. It's essentially a base ROM with only the best features taken from CM/PA/AOKP

Groof

Try SuperNexus. It's essentially a base ROM with only the best features taken from CM/PA/AOKP

Mm yeah, but I don't want to flash anything period, really. I mean, I'm running a rooted N4 but beyond that I never put anything on it. I guess I got a bit burned out by the constant flashing and re-flashing I did on my S2 :p

Mm yeah, but I don't want to flash anything period, really. I mean, I'm running a rooted N4 but beyond that I never put anything on it. I guess I got a bit burned out by the constant flashing and re-flashing I did on my S2 :p

We'll see if I get like that.

since sprint buying US Cellular is forcing me to find a new carrier, I may get a Nexus 4. Might not flash much then.

...I'm torn between the N4, S4 and HTC One.

Groof

Flashing on a Nexus 4 is probably a lot less buggier than flashing on a non-Nexus device though I'd imagine.

Probably is way easier, but constant nightly flashing for the better part of a year gets to you after a while, don't really want to dabble with it too much anymore unless I gain something incredible out of it.

Toki767

Probably is way easier, but constant nightly flashing for the better part of a year gets to you after a while, don't really want to dabble with it too much anymore unless I gain something incredible out of it.

Ah, I never flash nightlies. I flash whatever ROM is stable and stick with it until the next major stable build that adds something new comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom