• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

So Google Goggles is officially the coolest app ever. Set up a customers BB Q10 earlier and it was all in Czech for some reason. Took a pic of the settings screen and got it all translated in English in seconds.

So good.

That is pretty awesome. My friends sometimes use foreign language versions of wikipedia, I'm going to try and show off this little ability.

Toki767

aren't PIE controls only enabled by default on phones with no buttons?
Yeah. They're there for Paranoid Android builds though. Not sure why CM won't include them. A lot more convenient to have pie controls docked to the left or right of the screen for one handed use than reaching down to the bottom to press the hardware keys.

Can someone tell me why when I go to storage settings that despite having no pictures on my phone, it still shows 50mb of space being used by pictures? I know this happens from time to time and in the past there would be a photo/video cache file when I used the android file manager in a folder and I'd delete it and it would solve this. That doesn't seem to be the case always though, like now, there is no cache file I see. Really annoying.

Nexus 4 on latest firmware.

Can someone tell me why when I go to storage settings that despite having no pictures on my phone, it still shows 50mb of space being used by pictures? I know this happens from time to time and in the past there would be a photo/video cache file when I used the android file manager in a folder and I'd delete it and it would solve this. That doesn't seem to be the case always though, like now, there is no cache file I see. Really annoying.

Nexus 4 on latest firmware.

As a guess, it may including the stock wallpapers (both live and static) in that 50mb.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been using Pie Controls on my N4 and N10. It's great. I know I hated the Menu button issue. However, since I first used Pie Controls with Gesture GMT or whatever, many apps have updated to not use the Menu button and instead stick the overflow menu in the app itself.

Pie Controls are now totally usable. Awesome.

As a guess, it may including the stock wallpapers (both live and static) in that 50mb.
Definitely not it. I know for a fact that when every thing is normal it goes to about 300kb for pictures. So it isn't wallpapers. At least not stock wallpapers, though maybe user added ones? I have added wallpapers from the wallpaper base app in recent weeks.

If only there was a way to see what is using up that 50mb.

Milchjon

Android's done. Only 32.66 more quarters, and it will be trumped by Windows Phone!

p3Owxwl.png

(based on comScore data for the first quarter of 2013 in the US)

TxdoHawk

So, I could probably start a new topic for something like this, but I thought maybe someone here might have tripped over info while roaming around on Android sites:

Is there a typical "popular setup" as far as camera hardware + mount for shooting "top down" style reviews where someone lays a phone flat and interacts with it to demonstrate something? I'm trying to create a video like this, but my method (1080p webcam taped to a box) is lacking in quality, from the camera end and the mount end.

Groof

So, I could probably start a new topic for something like this, but I thought maybe someone here might have tripped over info while roaming around on Android sites:

Is there a typical "popular setup" as far as camera hardware + mount for shooting "top down" style reviews where someone lays a phone flat and interacts with it to demonstrate something? I'm trying to create a video like this, but my method (1080p webcam taped to a box) is lacking in quality, from the camera end and the mount end.
I don't really know what a popular setup is, but I'd guess it's a DSLR or any other device capable of high quality recording attached to some sort of flexible tripod, like a spider tripod. I'd like to do something similar in the future if time and money would allow.

TxdoHawk

I don't really know what a popular setup is, but I'd guess it's a DSLR or any other device capable of high quality recording attached to some sort of flexible tripod, like a spider tripod. I'd like to do something similar in the future if time and money would allow.

Ah, this makes sense! I guess the only issue now is figuring out an ideal setup regarding what to attach the tripod to.

Groof

Ah, this makes sense! I guess the only issue now is figuring out an ideal setup regarding what to attach the tripod to.

There might be spider tripods made for things other than just cameras. I'm sure I've seen ones for smartphones as well... And since a spider tripod's legs are flexible they can be attached to many different things. Being creative is the key, I guess!

Also, anyone listen to any Android specific podcasts that are recommendable?

Edit: News! Babel to be called Hangout
  • Babel will be called Hangout
  • The icon will be similar to the messenger icon, except that it will be green
  • UI will be Holo (obviously), a swipe from the right will give you a list of conversations
  • Unifies messaging as expected

bob page

What's so special about it?

I was sad to see that the S3 version of the M3 build didn't have pie controls. Is that in the new nigtlies?
I know pie controls are in liquid smooth but CM doesn't have them yet. The latest night lies are much smoother than M3 and with KT747, battery life and stability aew much improved. Haven't had one crash/reboot/SOD since installing that kernel.

There might be spider tripods made for things other than just cameras. I'm sure I've seen ones for smartphones as well... And since a spider tripod's legs are flexible they can be attached to many different things. Being creative is the key, I guess!

awesome. Much better than BABEL.

So like...if someone using android texts me, I will receive the message in both the hangout app AND the sms app? Or is the hangout app replacing the sms app? Or will I receive the messages in both. Or will I have an option in settings to control that.

Kind of confusing. In iOS if someone with iOS sms'd you the conversation would use imessage (indication being the different colours) but still in the same messaging app. What I'm reading here is that messaging will be unified but there will be 2 apps. Maybe I'm over-thinking.

Blackhead

Redarse
we can only hope. But isn't the fact that it's a separate app mean that they won't be integrated? Unless I'm thinking about this wrong.
Yeah there are multiple third party SMS apps in the Play Store. It shouldn't be any trouble for Google to do it themselves.

What I concerned about is if it'll require a Google+ or whether a phone number would be sufficient.

Yeah there's a few good ones. Check out:

the talk show
accidental tech
lol it's the android thread, giga. No fair.

Groof

Yeah there's a few good ones. Check out:

the talk show
accidental tech
Thanks, I'll check these out.

So like...if someone using android texts me, I will receive the message in both the hangout app AND the sms app? Or is the hangout app replacing the sms app? Or will I receive the messages in both. Or will I have an option in settings to control that.

Kind of confusing. In iOS if someone with iOS sms'd you the conversation would use imessage (indication being the different colours) but still in the same messaging app. What I'm reading here is that messaging will be unified but there will be 2 apps. Maybe I'm over-thinking.

I think you're overthinking it :p
We'll find out all the deets in one and a half week, but I imagine (mostly hope) that it'll replace the standard SMS app and bring iMessage like functionality.

Hope so. And I hope they release the iOS app right away. Since I stopped usiung my iphone it's been a hassle to talk to my brother since we used imessage before. Would be nice if he could just DL hangout and that's that. Not only do I hope they release the iOS app right away but also the browser app. That's happening too right?

Groof

Nah those aren't Android podcasts (although accidental tech podcast is well worth listening for John Siracusa but it's still Apple centric)

Check out the Android Police Podcast and the XDA Youtube series
Alright thanks for the tips!
Hope so. And I hope they release the iOS app right away. Since I stopped usiung my iphone it's been a hassle to talk to my brother since we used imessage before. Would be nice if he could just DL hangout and that's that. Not only do I hope they release the iOS app right away but also the browser app. That's happening too right?

One and a half week!

awww, they missed out on the buzz based on the name

jayb

I'm sure babel/hangouts will be a much needed update, but it better integrate sms or I won't really care. Sms integration is a big part of why imessage is so good.

SimleuqiR

One of the first image leaks was for the Chrome App of Babel.

These are going to be two very long weeks.

Talon

Let's be honest. The iOS version will come out a month before the Android version.

And Gmail still won't be updated.

Zeppu

Seeing how integrated with the sync system Talk on Android is I have this dreadful feeling that it'll be rolled out with the next version of Android, rather than as a standalone app. This means we'll have to wait for updates to roll out before we get it on our phones.

Seeing how integrated with the sync system Talk on Android is I have this dreadful feeling that it'll be rolled out with the next version of Android, rather than as a standalone app. This means we'll have to wait for updates to roll out before we get it on our phones.
goes against what google is trying to do though. They're ultimate goal is to be able to update as much of android as possible and I remember a while ago they said one way of doing that is to put as much as they can into separate google apps which they can update through the play store.

Been out of the loop for a few months, anyone have a link to a solid summary of expectations for klp/io?
There isn't any good list but a while ago in this thread I did post the most likely list of things that people contributed to for KLP. If someone else can find it, post it up! I'm too lazy. Only definite seems like separate user accounts and unified messaging app.

As for i/o in general. Lots of chrome talk and whatnot. Possibly the XFON as well. Which is a customizable motorola phone google will sell on the play store like the nexus, it will run something close to stock. No one knows much about that either.

I found my roundup of possible random shit in the next android update:

- Multiple accounts (likely and meh)
- Possible new UI, more holo light less tron
- Unified Messaging (good, and likely)
- Random Camera features (likely, and why not!)
- A chrome that is actually good (perhaps...)
- Crazy amount of new gestures (bow to your galaxy overlords)
- Game-center equivalent system (maybe not ready for the next update but it's coming...)
- Better battery life management of some sort (maybe project roadrunner...?)
- Some kind of streaming capabilities (perhaps maybe one day)
- Possible multiwindow support like touchwiz, or something (probably not lulzz)
- And of course: http://i.imgur.com/rssn7V9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom