• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Ah, I never flash nightlies. I flash whatever ROM is stable and stick with it until the next major stable build that adds something new comes out.

Doing it that way is way smarter and easier on yourself, heh.
I simply need to have whatevers the newest at all times... it's horrible :(

Groof

Nope....just depends on the developers, that's why you need to read and not just flash any Rom.

Buggy Rom is a buggy Rom regardless if is a nexus or not.

It depends on the device's architecture as well as if devs can get their hands on source codes or not. CM10 was a buggy mess on the S2 for a loooong while, and some bugs are probably still unfixable because of lack of sources. Considering a Nexus device is pretty much completely open source there's a 99.9% chance it'll be bugless way faster than most other devices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nope....just depends on the developers, that's why you need to read and not just flash any Rom.

Buggy Rom is a buggy Rom regardless if is a nexus or not.

I disagree. Sort of. Yeah, a buggy rom will be buggy. But Nexus devices have hardware drivers easily accessible. It's not like a Samsung phone where the devs have to make it work. Lots of crappy roms are released because of that. Instead, a Nexus just works.

I disagree. Sort of. Yeah, a buggy rom will be buggy. But Nexus devices have hardware drivers easily accessible. It's not like a Samsung phone where the devs have to make it work. Lots of crappy roms are released because of that. Instead, a Nexus just works.

Except when it doesn't because Google's own stock Android OS and the stock drivers have bugs. Nexus phones are used as the beta test devices for the new versions of Android, did everyone already forget how great the N4's battery life was at launch until Google patched the OS and LG patched the drivers months later?

I bought the Gnex at NA launch and ICS was always janky as shit on it. It wasn't until JB that most of the performance issues were ironed out, mainly due to Project Butter.

Groof

Except when it doesn't because Google's own stock Android OS has bugs. Nexus phones are used as the beta test devices for the new versions of Android, did everyone already forget how great the N4's battery life was at launch until Google patched the OS and LG patched the drivers months later?

At least the drivers are easily accessible to be improved upon by users. The whole point of custom ROMs and whatnot is to improve on what is already available, and if it isn't available (i.e Samsung) then it's hard to do anything with it.

Except when it doesn't because Google's own stock Android OS and the stock drivers have bugs. Nexus phones are used as the beta test devices for the new versions of Android, did everyone already forget how great the N4's battery life was at launch until Google patched the OS and LG patched the drivers months later?

I bought the Gnex at NA launch and ICS was always janky as shit on it. It wasn't until JB that most of the performance issues were ironed out, mainly due to Project Butter.

Truth! The gnex was buggy stock! There was a bunch of crappy roms for it too. There's a lot of so called developers who just takes someone elses rom and build around it's framework, and add color or some crap, then call it their own.

N4 beats the GN hands down, so I don't know why anyone's complaining. The Nexus One and 4 were the pinnacle of design and build quality when they released, while the NS and GN were plasticky shite. Two strikes for Samsung, let's not give them a third.

On the other hand, I'd rather have a Sony Nexus just to see how they'd approach it (and because the camera would be fantastic.) Or HTC again, it's been far too long. Hell Moto could make a decent Nexus if they focused on their strengths (battery, industrial materials) with some Google influence (handset design, software.)

obvious sarcasm.

gcubed

Which doesn't disprove his point that a nexus device custom ROM will be more complete and stable than any device unless that manu fully open sources all their drivers.

Blackhead

Redarse

Which doesn't disprove his point that a nexus device custom ROM will be more complete and stable than any device unless that manu fully open sources all their drivers.

Yeah not sure what your point is Unknown Soldier. Every phone with a new OS has bugs at launch. iPhone 5 had bugs. Lumia 920 did too. Galaxy S4 does. *shrug* Apple released a new patch for the iPhone 5 last week.

bob page

Okay so now that I've rooted my phone and modded it with CyanogenMod what are some cool ass themes I can install?
Minimal UI is my favorite. Grab Nova Launcher, it's better and less bloated than GO.

Is there a way to change the Google Now setting for public transit to make it include subway only? I live in NYC but never take the bus, yet it only ever shows me bus times. I could have sworn there was an option for this previously.

KAL2006

Banned
Got an issue, I install CyanogenMod 10.1. However my keyboard doesn't work, keeps saying its stopped working. Of course that doesn't bother me as i prefer to use Swiftkey, but the problem is CyanogenMod doesn't have a basic file manager to install apk files offline. How am I supposed to install apk's on this thing. the problem is that the keyboard doesn't work so I cant even put in my details on Google play or log into my email to download a new keyboard app.

PriitV

Got an issue, I install CyanogenMod 10.1. However my keyboard doesn't work, keeps saying its stopped working. Of course that doesn't bother me as i prefer to use Swiftkey, but the problem is CyanogenMod doesn't have a basic file manager to install apk files offline. How am I supposed to install apk's on this thing. the problem is that the keyboard doesn't work so I cant even put in my details on Google play or log into my email to download a new keyboard app.

Uhm, official CM definitely has a file manager with it.

Groof

There's an update to that Babel = Hangout rumour:
Babel to be called Hangouts. (Updated)
  • SMS/MMS sync is not there on the app that's being dogfooded
  • And it's gonna be hangouts not hangout
  • I already mentioned this in the comments, Google Now will get location based reminders. Example: "Remind me to call Lisa when I get home"
  • Gmail is getting a UI overhaul, it will be "Holofied". Swipe from the left will give you access to your inbox, drafts, labels, etc much needed improvement in my opinion.

ty_hot

I was thinking about buying a Sony Xperia S refurbished on eBay, but its says its locked to some provider. If I just install a custom rom in it, will it be unlocked? I want to use it in Hungary and Brazil.

giga

There's an update to that Babel = Hangout rumour:
Babel to be called Hangouts. (Updated)

nxBka.gif

jokkir

So is Nexus 4 still a good phone? How good is the battery life exactly in terms of screen on time? Because it surely has to beat my 2 hours-ish screen-on time on my Nexus S, right?

I might get it soon >__>

my girlfriend and I have the same phone and the same service provider and she got the new Google play a week before I did.
no SMS integration....FUCKKKKK.

good. SMS integration just leads to a bunch of issues. no need to rush that. take your time and do it right. no need to have another imessage debacle.
no one is saying they shouldn't take the time to do it right, but it has been a long time, the disappointment is that they should be able to do it right by now.

ah well, as expected with all google related rumours, they never live up to the hype. Happens every time lol.

So is Nexus 4 still a good phone? How good is the battery life exactly in terms of screen on time? Because it surely has to beat my 2 hours-ish screen-on time on my Nexus S, right?

I might get it soon >__>
XFON

yeah it's a fine phone, better than nexus s in every way

buhdeh

I must be the only person who hasn't used SMS in years. Literally every single one of my friends can be reached through whatsapp or Facebook chat.

Groof

I must be the only person who hasn't used SMS in years. Literally every single one of my friends can be reached through whatsapp or Facebook chat.

Believe it or not, there are still people who either don't have a smartphone yet or a smartphone with a really poor data plan...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Well, they're dogfooding sms, so it means that it's being worked on. I can imagine it mount require a bit more work

giga

There's no guarantee that my friends will see a Facebook message on their phone. I don't know who has smartphones, data plans, and so on. Hell, I'm definitely not Facebook friends with all of my phone contacts.

SMS integration takes away that headache. If they have iMessage, then it'll send that. If they don't, then it'll send the SMS. I don't need to manage separate apps or anything because of that.

I know a ton of people who use facebook and literally none of them use facebook chat lol. And that's ignoring anyone that doesn't really like or care for facebook that I know.

Hangouts sounds better than nothing but it's a damn shame they weren't able to go all the way if that is true.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just checking. Wasn't it expecting so much choppiness when compared to my N4. The screen is especially blurry with a black background and white text.

Pretty disappointed so far seeing as it's supposed to be 1.9Ghz quad core. Guess it's the lack of ram.

Even when pressing the back button there's a delay. I think I might be done with Korean junk.

Where'd you buy your phone from bro? Lol..

Koodo/Telus. Unlocked.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I would love to know where luquidus gets his phones from, 7 duff N4's and a dodgy S4? Must be the mist picky phone owner ever!

I got my 7 Nexus 4s from Google. My S4 from my carrier.

I am picky. I just want a phone with iPhone build quality and stock Android. No bloatware or giant logos all over my phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I figured out how Google can solve syncing SMS messages. If someone's phone gets an SMS, Google should recognize it and mirror that text. That way, the text can be displayed on the phone, tablet, computer. You should then be able to send a message from your computer, where you don't have SMS, and Google should then send the message as an SMS ala Google Voice.

That would be clutch and a perfect solution. You wouldn't ever deal with SMS personally. Google would send it through their servers, like they do Google Voice already.

The only catch is phone numbers. But assign every Hangout user a phone number that links up with their email address. Just use email addresses as contacts.

Or something. I'm not getting paid here. I came up with this brilliant halfway solution. Let the engineers figure out the rest.

kinggroin

Banned
Just checking. Wasn't it expecting so much choppiness when compared to my N4. The screen is especially blurry with a black background and white text.

Pretty disappointed so far seeing as it's supposed to be 1.9Ghz quad core. Guess it's the lack of ram.

Even when pressing the back button there's a delay. I think I might be done with Korean junk.

Koodo/Telus. Unlocked.

2 GB of ram no? That's hardly a lack of, even with touchwiz on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom