• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I figured out how Google can solve syncing SMS messages. If someone's phone gets an SMS, Google should recognize it and mirror that text. That way, the text can be displayed on the phone, tablet, computer. You should then be able to send a message from your computer, where you don't have SMS, and Google should then send the message as an SMS ala Google Voice.

That would be clutch and a perfect solution. You wouldn't ever deal with SMS personally. Google would send it through their servers, like they do Google Voice already.

The only catch is phone numbers. But assign every Hangout user a phone number that links up with their email address. Just use email addresses as contacts.

Or something. I'm not getting paid here. I came up with this brilliant halfway solution. Let the engineers figure out the rest.

Has no one mentioned anything like this before? I'm breaking new ground here. It's freaking brilliant. I wonder if the recent GVoice update would have anything to do with this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just want Nexus 7 refresh info please! That's what I really want from the I/O. Everything else will just be extra awesomeness!

PS: I received my donor card in the mail this weekend Android-GAF! Everyone who can should sign up!

bethematchsmallermhzhf.png

I figured out how Google can solve syncing SMS messages. If someone's phone gets an SMS, Google should recognize it and mirror that text. That way, the text can be displayed on the phone, tablet, computer. You should then be able to send a message from your computer, where you don't have SMS, and Google should then send the message as an SMS ala Google Voice.

That would be clutch and a perfect solution. You wouldn't ever deal with SMS personally. Google would send it through their servers, like they do Google Voice already.

The only catch is phone numbers. But assign every Hangout user a phone number that links up with their email address. Just use email addresses as contacts.

Or something. I'm not getting paid here. I came up with this brilliant halfway solution. Let the engineers figure out the rest.

so... basically... integrate Google Voice?

because i don't think they would be allowed to do that with a number that isn't theirs...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
so... basically... integrate Google Voice?

because i don't think they would be allowed to do that with a number that isn't theirs...

Hangout would integrate SMS. So it would work with numbers that aren't theirs. You don't need GVoice to receive SMS from a GVoice user.

seriously, when people say the Galaxy S4 has microstutters, they mean like how if you sit there and analyze the phone while you're using it, you'll notice lag once every 15 minutes maybe instead of once every hour or so with an HTC One. if you're having performance that bad... i dunno man... must be some rare earth magnets under your house fucking up your phones.

Hangout would integrate SMS. So it would work with numbers that aren't theirs. You don't need GVoice to receive SMS from a GVoice user.

what i'm saying is ... with a Google Voice number, Google is the telephone company of record in control of that number. they are allowed to send SMS messages originating from that number. if they were to send an SMS from your number when your number is controlled by .. say AT&T for example .. i don't think that would be standards compliant... it would be forging an SMS.

mturco

what i'm saying is ... with a Google Voice number, Google is the telephone company of record in control of that number. they are allowed to send SMS messages originating from that number. if they were to send an SMS from your number when your number is controlled by .. say AT&T for example .. i don't think that would be standards compliant... it would be forging an SMS.

Well what if it just sent it from your phone instead of from their end? Which is how iMessage works anyway, right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
seriously, when people say the Galaxy S4 has microstutters, they mean like how if you sit there and analyze the phone while you're using it, you'll notice lag once every 15 minutes maybe instead of once every hour or so with an HTC One. if you're having performance that bad... i dunno man... must be some rare earth magnets under your house fucking up your phones.

Some folks are more sensitive to lag and stuttering than others. Plus if you only use android, you would acclimate to it anyway.

Cipherr

Some folks are more sensitive to lag and stuttering than others. Plus if you only use android, you would acclimate to it anyway.

I would be open to that if those same people noticed the stutters and lag in iOS. But they speak as if they don't. They certainly never mention it.

Bboy AJ

I would be open to that if those same people noticed the stutters and lag in iOS. But they speak as if they don't. They certainly never mention it.

Agreed. Both iOS and Android lag. They're both on par these days. There's no disparity anymore.

even though android has greatly improved (at least stock has, and using custom launchers, there's still some lag in some skins), I STILL notice a difference between iphone/android. Iphone is very much 1 to 1 in movements. Android has greatly improved but it's still a slight difference. More than slight if you're using a phone with a heavy skin.

For instance I used the GS4 and I did notice some stutter, I then installed nova launcher on the store unit and boom no more lag for the most part. Not 1:1 but very close to it. It's like some people can notice 60fps in games more than others.

Toki767

Has no one mentioned anything like this before? I'm breaking new ground here. It's freaking brilliant. I wonder if the recent GVoice update would have anything to do with this.

I think CloudSMS does that as a way to get SMS texts to show up on a tablet.

Believe

Banned
I meant custom roms on a Nexus phone are probably less buggy than ones on non-Nexus phones.

Idk about that my Galaxy Nexus would reboot or bug out at least once or twice a day IIRC vs my solid as fuck current driver Note II on a Custom Rom

both on verizon

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
never heard of it, unless you mean FON. You spelled it wrong. XFON.

I wouldn't even put up with that shit after 1 replacement. But I guess I have the benefit of actually not minding iOS so I can take or leave android the day it pisses me off or get bored of it or something. And vice versa.

I don't like Safari, I prefer Chrome. I don't like the iOS keyboard on such tiny screens. The screens are too small. I also like being able to drag and drop files, HDMI out and more options.

Display, brightness, data on/off are all in the settings. No quick toggle is dreadful.

Chrome on iOS gets features before chrome on android lol.

Agree with the rest though, but not big deals for me. That and I expect iOS7 and iOS8 to change pretty much everything software wise. But yeah the main reason I use android more often than not is screen size. Once you get a glimpse of a bigger screen it's so hard to go back. Still waiting for a stock android device that is small and bezel-less and has great battery. That will be the day all phones become obsolete. Nexus 5 pls.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's semi worth noting that Debian released their latest stable version this weekend in Debian 7 code name wheezy. A ton of Linux shit is all based on Debian so it's nice to finally get a stable version upgrade. That usually only happens every few years.

Neogaf Thread!

jokkir

Anyone know why my Google Now/Google Search isn't giving me back voice results? It was working before but when I try it now, it just Google searches it and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom