• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

Can't tell if you are happy or sad

Ok, maybe it's more of boomerang shape gamepad:

hama-wireless-controller-boomerang-1.jpg

They also look like "space invaders" line up like that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
For most people, yes, but maybe not for your mom. The Kindle is a lot simpler to use, so depending on how tech savvy your mom is, that might factor in too. Otherwise, yeah, get a Nexus 7.

The Kindle's UI is ass though...

Groof

Can't tell if you are happy or sad

Ok, maybe it's more of boomerang shape gamepad:

hama-wireless-controller-boomerang-1.jpg

They also look like "space invaders" line up like that.

Yeah that's a lot better.

And I gotta agree, while the Nexus 7 is probably the best Android tablet one can get (right now), it isn't very easy to use for most tech unsavvy people. Probably still manageable, though.

buhdeh

So what exactly is the proper behavior for notifications through headset?

Some notifications (like Whatsapp) will play alongside Pocket Casts while others will completely pause the sound (like Facebook Messenger). So god damn annoying when I'm listening to a podcast and... it... pauses... every... two... seconds... Simple stuff like this always makes me think about going back to iOS.

Groof

Some notifications (like Whatsapp) will play alongside Pocket Casts while others will completely pause the sound (like Facebook Messenger). So god damn annoying when I'm listening to a podcast and... it... pauses... every... two... seconds... Simple stuff like this always makes me think about going back to iOS.

I think it's supposed to lower the volume of the audio playing, not pause it completely. It's very inconsistent on different apps and how they react to notifications, but I think that's due to how they're coded...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah but it's super easy to use. I mean all your content is sitting right there on your homescreen. It's good for non-advanced users.

Just load her homescreen up with Play Books/Movies/Music/TV/Magazines widgets. Bam.

Amazon does have a better selection of content than Play but for most people it probably doesn't matter, and having a good web browser and actual app support is also important even for casual users (even if they don't realize it.)

VoxPop

Okay so I really hate the wallpaper system in Android as it never has an option to fit to the screen. I've tried using Wallpaper Wizardrii but stretching it for some reason still leaves thin black bars on the top and bottom. Any suggestions?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay so I really hate the wallpaper system in Android as it never has an option to fit to the screen. I've tried using Wallpaper Wizardrii but stretching it for some reason still leaves thin black bars on the top and bottom. Any suggestions?

Grab the Wallbase app. Set it to only show the largest size wallpaper available (I can't remember what the number is). Then look for something you like where it's a pattern or centered.

Basically it'll just crop the sides of the wallpaper, but height wise it fits perfectly.

VoxPop

Grab the Wallbase app. Set it to only show the largest size wallpaper available (I can't remember what the number is). Then look for something you like where it's a pattern or centered.

Basically it'll just crop the sides of the wallpaper, but height wise it fits perfectly.

Cool thanks. Can I use my own wallpapers with this or is it limited to using their stuff?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Just bad devs. You said yourself some apps do it properly and others don't. But I've always had that damn interruption issue. I didn't know apps did it properly these days.

AnkitT

Is there any email app which allows me to sync more than 30 days with of email from my hotmail account? The official outlook app and the stock email both go back 30 days only.

buhdeh

Just bad devs. You said yourself some apps do it properly and others don't. But I've always had that damn interruption issue. I didn't know apps did it properly these days.

Well, the thing is... I'm not even sure which behaviour is supposed to be the proper one. There's an issue for this submitted on code.google.com with a gigantic list of replies and it doesn't seem like anyone's sure of what it's actually supposed to do.

Groof

Well, the thing is... I'm not even sure which behaviour is supposed to be the proper one. There's an issue for this submitted on code.google.com with a gigantic list of replies and it doesn't seem like anyone's sure of what it's actually supposed to do.

See my post.

i dunno what it is, but it's definitely NOT the shit Samsung does... which is... play notifications from the phone instead of the headset... hahah wtf

3phemeral

Cool thanks. Can I use my own wallpapers with this or is it limited to using their stuff?

Pretty sure it's only their stuff. If you're looking to have your own images take up the full screen without forced cropping, you can look into Wallpapyrus or MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, which has a bunch of features like a new wallpaper for every screen, transition effects, opacity/saturation, etc.

As for that mock phone that has "Notification Capacitive Pad," I'm pretty sure they're implying that there's a capacitive pad (a la iPhone button) that also doubles as a notification light in the center.

buhdeh

i dunno what it is, but it's definitely NOT the shit Samsung does... which is... play notifications from the phone instead of the headset... hahah wtf

DUDE, I remember this happening when I had my S3. SO RIDICULOUS. I was wondering what the hell was going on when notifications would come out of the phone while I listened to podcasts.

See my post.

I did. I'm going to try some other apps but I don't remember a single instance where my volume would dim while the notification played.

Groof

DUDE, I remember this happening when I had my S3. SO RIDICULOUS. I was wondering what the hell was going on when notifications would come out of the phone while I listened to podcasts.

I did. I'm going to try some other apps but I don't remember a single instance where my volume would dim while the notification played.
That used to happen on my S2 as well... Stupid as shit.
The Play Music app does it that way I believe... Now Playing does that as well.

VoxPop

Pretty sure it's only their stuff. If you're looking to have your own images take up the full screen without forced cropping, you can look into Wallpapyrus or MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, which has a bunch of features like a new wallpaper for every screen, transition effects, opacity/saturation, etc.

As for that mock phone that has "Notification Capacitive Pad," I'm pretty sure they're implying that there's a capacitive pad (a la iPhone button) that also doubles as a notification light in the center.

Thanks a bunch I'll look into those. :)

And yeah Android phone + iPad Mini is def the best combo atm but I'm using my iPad 3rd gen until they bust out the retina Mini :p

3phemeral

Thanks a bunch I'll look into those. :)

And yeah Android phone + iPad Mini is def the best combo atm but I'm using my iPad 3rd gen until they bust out the retina Mini :p

I should clarify and say that Wallpapyrus is more of a bare-bones live wallpaper app compared to MultiPicture LWP. I worded it poorly in the original post, but Wallpapyrus just does crop-less full wallpapers. They both have free versions, however, so you can test them out and see which one you like. MPLWP can be a resource hog if you go nuts with multiple screens and multiple hi-res pictures for each screen. I tend to scale them down to my phone's screen resolution if I plan to do that.

Groof

Yeah, android phone + iPad mini is the perfect combo right now, imho. I'll give it another year or two to give android tablets another chance.
Id do this had the iPad mini been more affordable. Also high res display.
More than happy with my N7 though.

Love my mini a lot. Really is the perfect tablet to me. Hoping the retina version adds zero bulk and doesn't hit battery much since the feel of the device is perfect as of now. Which is why I wouldn't mind if it takes till 2014 for a retina mini. Either way I'd be happy to sell my current one for it.

Vanillalite

Only thing I hate about that is the fact that you have to rebuy shit for each. I know I know different work go into each platform, but I wish apps were universal across platforms ala say Steam.

Mini is the perfect size and weight though. I wish the new Nexus was more akin to the mini in size.

jey_16

Banned
I've got a HTC one + IPad (3rd gen) but I'm getting annoyed with my iPad, seems to be getting slower and slower just like my original ipad

Vanillalite

I've got a HTC one + IPad (3rd gen) but I'm getting annoyed with my iPad, seems to be getting slower and slower just like my original ipad

Not normal unless you just are experiencing the regular "slugishness" of powering the retina display. That should have always been there though.

GiLL7486

Neo Member
Anyone know why my Google Now/Google Search isn't giving me back voice results? It was working before but when I try it now, it just Google searches it and that's it.

Try going into Google Now->Settings->Privacy and Accounts

Make sure 'Search on Google.com is checked.

Does anyone have some good recommendation for some launchers to try out? I don't have a problem with the stock Galaxy S3 interface, but I just want to try something new and usable.

And one more question: I've played around with some random launchers, and every once in awhile I'll need to choose a default launcher to complete some action (for example, I'll hit the home button, and I have to choose between Nova and TouchWiz). If I tell my phone to always use Nova to complete an action, then delete the Nova Launcher, does that screw up the stored settings on the device? Do I have to manually clear the defaults somehow?

Does anyone have some good recommendation for some launchers to try out? I don't have a problem with the stock Galaxy S3 interface, but I just want to try something new and usable.

And one more question: I've played around with some random launchers, and every once in awhile I'll need to choose a default launcher to complete some action (for example, I'll hit the home button, and I have to choose between Nova and TouchWiz). If I tell my phone to always use Nova to complete an action, then delete the Nova Launcher, does that screw up the stored settings on the device? Do I have to manually clear the defaults somehow?
only 2 that matter --> Apex and Nova launchers.

Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it doesn't mess with settings to delete a launcher.

if you remove an app then the defaults for that app are removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom