• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
I have my 32gb microSD that has a couple of pictures on it.... everything else is on my internal SD. I don't see the need for expansion memory given that cloud services and access is so ubiquitous now.

RayStorm

Those of you against micro sd slots are aware that usage of micro sd cards is not mandatory, right?

Also depending on where you live and what contract you have cloud storage might not be the golden thing you perceive it as for everyone else.

zedge

Those of you against micro sd slots are aware that usage of micro sd cards is not mandatory, right?

Also depending on where you live and what contract you have cloud storage might not be the golden thing you perceive it as for everyone else.

God I can't believe there are people who are against extra storage options.

1. You don't need to use it, it's there if you do
2. Cloud isn't that great especially with limited data plans
3. Not everyone has 4G to access their media
4. Using more data kills battery faster

Among other things.

Cipherr

God I can't believe there are people who are against extra storage options.

1. You don't need to use it, it's there if you do
2. Cloud isn't that great especially with limited data plans
3. Not everyone has 4G to access their media
4. Using more data kills battery faster

Among other things.

This. I can think of no reasonable reason to be against expandable storage. Its always nice to have, if you dont like it dont use it.

not to mention Samsung, the guys still putting in Micro SD slots are also the ones releasing devices with 64GB onboard...

I agree with you, but there are some reasons why having no SD card is beneficial:

http://www.androidcentral.com/why-nexus-devices-have-no-sd-card

and that's great if you want to use it with a device that supports MTP! i still remember i made a thread on GAF ... YEARS AGO ... about PS3 supporting MTP and people were like lolwut?

not to mention Samsung, the guys still putting in Micro SD slots are also the ones releasing devices with 64GB onboard..

the ONLY ones! If they release one here in the states i'm jumping on it...unless it's too close to rumors about a GS4...but see that's the thing, even their microsd slot is the only one to truly support 64gb...

and that's great if you want to use it with a device that supports MTP! i still remember i made a thread on GAF ... YEARS AGO ... about PS3 supporting MTP and people were like lolwut?

you're ahead of the times my friend

I don't mind if a company wants to forego the SD card. I rather have it, but I don't mind, IF WE CAN GET SOME REASONABLE STORAGE SPACE, IE 32GB 64GB. If a phone has 8GB and/or 16GB, then you clearly are not trying. Possibly the main reason I decided not to get an HTC One X. 16GB no SD expansion. If it had 32GB or an expansion I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

TheTowel

You know, I get the need for the SD slot. It's nice but I'm in the boat that thinks enough onboard storage can be enough. I love the one x design but the att 16gb model just isn't enough. If they released the one x+ originally with the bigger battery and more onboard storage, I wouldn't mind.

I like options though. I like unibody design as well.

Cipherr

4 inch mini S3 is a good idea, especially if they position it as their lower tier. They probably are in a hurry to discontinue every phone included in that lawsuit they just lost and replace it all with stuff similar to the S3 that isn't included the suit. At this point Samsung has the Mini, the S3 and then the Note. All of them will likely use that same body design and whatnot. Afterwards they just write a check for a billion (unless the appeal changes things) then continues onward as the #1 smartphone vendor.

Samsung revealing 4 inch galaxy s3 is confirmed: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/10/3482218/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-4-inch-jk-shin

Although its nexus or bust for me. I do give Samsung props for not ignoring demand for a smaller phone. Not everything has to be huge. And they say it'll be fully packed, not an entry level device. Which is nice. So far just Europe was mentioned by him.

4"? Cook was right all along! i wonder what screen tech they'll use...

I don't mind if a company wants to forego the SD card. I rather have it, but I don't mind, IF WE CAN GET SOME REASONABLE STORAGE SPACE, IE 32GB 64GB. If a phone has 8GB and/or 16GB, then you clearly are not trying. Possibly the main reason I decided not to get an HTC One X. 16GB no SD expansion. If it had 32GB or an expansion I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

for me it's a dealbreaker.

Nicktendo86

I love the look of the lg nexus, looks like a gnexus but thinner and not plasticy. The specs also look amazing, the only issue is storage. It is stupid not to at least offer the choice of SD card and 8gb is low but I could deal, I only keep apps on my phone really. I have about 7gb free on my 16gb gnexus so that should be fine. I can't upgrade until August anyway so by then there should be bigger storage options.

The big thing for me is the screen and bigger battery, I've made no secret of my dislike for amoled so a nexus that looks like a gnexus with LCD and better specs? Count me in!

tino

Banned
Sadly, some people don't see it this way. I'm cool with 16/32GB versions, fuck a micro sd slot. It's tacky and a bit of a hassle... well to me at least.

Question, if you never put a sd card in your sd card slot, how does it create a hassle to you? Why do you not want other people have this feature if they are willing to to pay for it? Moreover..Why do you hate freedom?

Doopliss

I agree with you, but there are some reasons why having no SD card is beneficial:

http://www.androidcentral.com/why-nexus-devices-have-no-sd-card

Dan Morrill said:
We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.

That reason they quoted is why Google switched from UMS to MTP. It has nothing to do with disallowing expandable storage.

PoVEO.jpg

A tipster has sent a photo to The Verge showing LG’s rumored Nexus device listed in the Carphone Warehouse’s inventory system. The device is labeled as the "LG Nexus 4," with color options including black or white. It isn’t definitive proof that this is the final naming for the device, but LG’s handset would be the fourth entry into the Nexus smartphone family. It could also indicate a shift in the Nexus naming convention, pointing towards the general size of the device like the Nexus 7. There’s no indication as to when the LG Nexus will be released, however.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/10/3482664/lg-nexus-4-carphone-warehouse-listing

sooo, one nexus or one of many?

I could maybe overlook the lack of microSD on the new Nexus because I need a new phone but not at 8gb. 16gb is the lowest I'm willing to compromise for a phone that on paper has everything else I'm looking for.

Any idea if Verizon will get it?

malyce

Question, if you never put a sd card in your sd card slot, how does it create a hassle to you? Why do you not want other people have this feature if they are willing to to pay for it? Moreover..Why do you hate freedom?

If i hated freedom my choice of OS wouldn't be Android. I've owned a Galaxy S and a Galaxy S2 and I'd have preferred a larger capacity built-in storage solution as opposed to a micro-sd expansion. I Kept all my music on a micro sd card and everything else on the phone's storage. I found it kind of a hassle having to deal with both. Every little change to the content on the SD card requires a scan and it became annoying after a while. You're right, I don't have to use it if I don't want to, maybe I'm just biased? but I'd prefer 16/32/64GB vesrions of the Nexus without micro-sd expansion.

TomTom getting trolled hard

“Our mission is simple – to make sure CoPilot runs brilliantly on as many Android devices as possible.” said David Quin, Head of Consumer Applications at ALK Technologies. “We have been developing GPS navigation apps for the Android platform since the launch of T Mobile G1 in 2008 and we’ve learned an incredible amount about handling differing screen sizes and resolutions. The latest additions to the Android family such as the Samsung Galaxy SIII and HTC One X are perfect for GPS navigation with their high resolution touch screens.”

http://www.androidcentral.com/copil...-android-smartphones-unlike-some-alternatives

Galaxy S3 Mini

9kEVu.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190
4.0" Super AMOLED Display, 800×480
STE U8420 Dual-Core 1,0 Gigahertz
HSPA 14.4/5.76 900/1900/2100; EDGE / GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
5 Megapixel autofocus & LED-Flash, 2592 x 1944 Pixel / VGA front
1 Gigabyte
16 Gigabyte, MicroSD (max. 32 GB)
Google Android 4.1 “Jelly Bean”
MicroUSB-Port, 3.5mm
Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi a / b / g / n 2.4/5GHz, DLNA, NFC (UICC, optional)
1500 mAh
121.55 x 62.95 x 9.85 mm

http://mobilegeeks.de/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-alle-spezifikationen-erstes-foto/

tino

Banned
If i hated freedom my choice of OS wouldn't be Android. I've owned a Galaxy S and a Galaxy S2 and I'd have preferred a larger capacity built-in storage solution as opposed to a micro-sd expansion. I Kept all my music on a micro sd card and everything else on the phone's storage. I found it kind of a hassle having to deal with both. Every little change to the content on the SD card requires a scan and it became annoying after a while. You're right, I don't have to use it if I don't want to, maybe I'm just biased? but I'd prefer 16/32/64GB vesrions of the Nexus without micro-sd expansion.

You gave a serious answer on "why do you hate freedom"? Oh dear.

Look I am not trying to convince anybody, I won't buy a phone without the sd card. Period. There are plenty of other phone makers I can happily send my money to.

edit: that S3 mini 's spec is very lame. Its not a S3 you can't fool me Samsung. Its a Galaxy Ace or whatever you try to pass up as a S3.

ep85

What makes this a Galaxy SIII? Does GS3 hold that much brand recognition? Blech, the phone itself is alright, I guess but if they continue down this naming path we will soon have the Galaxy S4 Mini HD Deluxe 4G LTE Extravagant Edition.

jokkir

What makes this a Galaxy SIII? Does GS3 hold that much brand recognition? Blech, the phone itself is alright, I guess but if they continue down this naming path we will soon have the Galaxy S4 Mini HD Deluxe 4G LTE Extravagant Edition.

Day 1

Kiraly

What the fuck is it with the inconsistency of Samsung? Take the Samsung Galaxy S Relay for example, QWERTY keyboard and a blazing fast Krait dual-core.

They gave it an proper shitty screen of 4" 800x480 PenTile AMOLED, absolutely horrible

Donos

These specs... , well. I guess they think the "Galaxy S3" brand is so strong that i can carry this midtier phone to stellar sales. Maybe it will.

And the only thing that kept me from buying the One S over the One X was the 16 GB storage (SLCD2 is nice but the One S Amoled is a beauty too).
The size of the One S felt just perfect in my hand although i like my One X.

Seems like "high end" phones will stay at least at 4"3 for the foreseeable future.

malyce

Looks like a Nexus S-esque marginal update to the Nexus line. Unless it's $350 unlocked, I'm sticking with the Galaxy Nexus.

Also, a French newspaper pegs October 29th as the release date.

Nah, if the specs hold true then this thing is a beast of a phone. The S4 Pro plus 2GB of RAM alone shits on the Galaxy Nexus. Everything else is a plus.

Those benchmarks must be wrong or the phone is terribly unoptimized yet, the four Krait cores should blow everything currently available away (see: Optimus G).

This. It likely won't be topped till the A15 phones start shipping.

Kiraly

Those benchmarks must be wrong or the phone is terribly unoptimized yet, the four Krait cores should blow everything currently available away (see: Optimus G).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom