• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those benchmarks must be wrong or the phone is terribly unoptimized yet, the four Krait cores should blow everything currently available away (see: Optimus G).

Yeah those quadrant scores aren't too impressive, either the phone is running on an early development build or perhaps it's not a Krait quad core, but rather a Tegra 3. (Perhaps it's a rebadged Optimus 4X HD, rather than the Optimus G)

malyce

Yeah those quadrant scores aren't too impressive, either the phone is running on an early development build or perhaps it's not a Krait quad core, but rather a Tegra 3. (Perhaps it's a rebadged Optimus 4X HD, rather than the Optimus G)

h6gyu.jpg

It's Krait alright, the culprit seems to be buggy software.

I sincerely hope Google wised up and sells the phone unlocked in the US from day 1.

Please no carrier-exclusive BS.

Considering there's no mention of CDMA anywhere in the rumors, I think that will be the case.

gutshot

I sincerely hope Google wised up and sells the phone unlocked in the US from day 1.

Please no carrier-exclusive BS.

Considering there's no mention of CDMA anywhere in the rumors, I think that will be the case.

Haven't they always done this? Was the Galaxy Nexus a Verizon exclusive for a while?

Benchmarks are mostly lame. All videos I've seen of the Optimus 4G running the same CPU as the LG Nexus look ridiculously snappy and fast in pretty much all circumstances. Anyway I refuse to believe a non-LTE version will be the only version, and if by some weird thing it is, then goodbye.

Emily Chu

Banned
Non removable battery right ?
Bleh
LG Nexus

It means the phone is a brick if anything happens to the battery or it doesn't take a charge anymore...

No thanks

Haven't they always done this? Was the Galaxy Nexus a Verizon exclusive for a while?

You're kidding, right?

The Galaxy Nexus had a fucking disasterous launch in the US. They delayed it several times, so it came out a month after the European version (December 2011 in the US). Plus, it was Verizon-exclusive until April 2012. And, to make matters worse, it wasn't a true Nexus with bloatware and updates that come from Verizon, not Google.

I had to import my GSM one from Japan.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Non removable battery, no SD card. Thank goodness the Nexus line is starting to wise up.

tino

Banned
No sd card, no removable batter. LOL next thing you know the Nexus phone will debut a new connection port called "thunder".

I am waiting for the spec to be comfirmed and I will start calling it Crippled Nexus.

bearbomb

Neo Member
Hello friends,

I am due for an upgrade in a few days. I was thinking of GS3 perhaps, but hear talks of this new nexus doo-hicky. What should I do?

Right now I have a GS1 which the battery is shmeh... but I could possibly wait a few weeks maybe (though my phone is driving me insane with the slowness and battery)

I like the sounds of actually getting updates in a timely fashion from nexus.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hello friends,

I am due for an upgrade in a few days. I was thinking of GS3 perhaps, but hear talks of this new nexus doo-hicky. What should I do?

Right now I have a GS1 which the battery is shmeh... but I could possibly wait a few weeks maybe (though my phone is driving me insane with the slowness and battery)

I like the sounds of actually getting updates in a timely fashion from nexus.

What carrier are you on?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm guessing a 720p 4" screen just isn't fully technically possible and/or economically feasible right now? The same thing is happening for windows phones. The HD screens are 4.3 and bigger. The new iPhone also isn't 720p.

Android Police said:
Folks, I can't believe it myself, but this day has finally come - Google seems to have finally sorted out all its backend and frontend issues with Google contact sync. Jelly Bean's 720x720 hi-res contact support was surely a nice addition, but ended up almost completely useless in our earlier tests: Jelly Bean Bumps Contact Photos To Hi-Res 720x720 But Google Sync Continues To Clobber It With Low-Res Mush.
As of today, all the problems I ran into before have been resolved. Removing and re-adding an account now syncs the contact photos in full resolution. Moreover, and much more importantly, Gmail on the web now has a brand new UI that finally supports setting hi-res contacts straight from the browser. I can't even begin to describe how long overdue this is, so for the past 35 minutes I've been doing victory dances around the desk instead of writing the post.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/10/hallelujah-google-finally-fixes-high-resolution-contact-sync-updates-web-contact-sync-with-brand-new-ui/

Holy mother of hell. Only took a year.

Doopliss

I'm guessing a 720p 4" screen just isn't fully technically possible and/or economically feasible right now? The same thing is happening for windows phones. The HD screens are 4.3 and bigger. The new iPhone also isn't 720p.
I don't really see why not if they can do 1080p at 5 inches.

Cipherr

Is THAT the reason most of my contact photos are high res on my phones contacts, but some of them are zoomed blurry pixelated messes.

Technically I have no doubt it's possible on LCD screens. Amoled not so sure. However packing that many pixels into such a small screen is in all likelihood more expensive. I no longer think the question should really be related just to screen size, but more to phone size. Motorola have managed to fit a 4.3 inch screen (albeit not 720p) into a handset that is 10% slimmer (width) than a GS2 by eliminating bezel. It's also slimmer and very slightly shorter. I think slimming down phone size means you can have a 4.3" screen on a phone with dimensions that would normally have carried a 4" screen. Shave of an extra few mm in length and we'd be there. I'd expect to see phones with far smaller bezels top and bottom starting next year.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I no longer think the question should really be related just to screen size, but more to phone size. Motorola have managed to fit a 4.3 inch screen (albeit not 720p) into a handset that is 10% slimmer (width) than a GS2 by eliminating bezel.

This is a good point. 4.3 720p in a compact size would accomplish what many want, but the fact that nobody has done it does raise questions too.

Doopliss

Technically I have no doubt it's possible on LCD screens. Amoled not so sure. However packing that many pixels into such a small screen is in all likelihood more expensive. I no longer think the question should really be related just to screen size, but more to phone size. Motorola have managed to fit a 4.3 inch screen (albeit not 720p) into a handset that is 10% slimmer (width) than a GS2 by eliminating bezel. It's also slimmer and very slightly shorter. I think slimming down phone size means you can have a 4.3" screen on a phone with dimensions that would normally have carried a 4" screen. Shave of an extra few mm in length and we'd be there. I'd expect to see phones with far smaller bezels top and bottom starting next year.
Most of the difference in width is due to the screen having an aspect ratio of 16:9 instead of 15:9.

GAF, I need a replacement for the rear camera of my SG2.
Suggestions?
I keep seeing $900+ cameras from Hong Kong on eBay which is insane. The cheapest in Australia is $60, but I've heard of $12 OME kits as well.

GatorBait

Sick! First single-finger notication expansion, and now this?! So good.

On another note, does anyone make frequent use of the Google Play Music app? I just uploaded all my music to the cloud last weekend and it has been awesome. Let me say, I am fucking blown away at whatever upscaling magic they are using for displaying album art. I have 500x500 artwork hard-tagged on all my mp3s and the music player displays them crystal clear - not even the slightest hint of pixelation. It's amazing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
a smaller canadian one, sasktel (my other option would be paying a lot of money to be freed of my contract or keeping my failing s1 for another year)

My current choices would be listed here I suppose

http://www.sasktel.com/search/controller/Smartphone/_/N-a5Z1z140m8Z1z141y5/Tab-4294966321

If you are willing to get a larger phone and pay a little extra I'd say get the Galaxy Note 2 since it's newer and comes with Jelly Bean.

GS3 isn't a bad pick. The Galaxy Nexus would be okay still I guess if you could get it on the super cheap.

Also the HTC One S isn't a bad phone if you want something smaller.

Only thing that sucks is the article acts like you have to redo all of your contacts to get the new images. :(

God I can't believe there are people who are against extra storage options.

1. You don't need to use it, it's there if you do
2. Cloud isn't that great especially with limited data plans
3. Not everyone has 4G to access their media
4. Using more data kills battery faster

Among other things.

QFMFT

If Google is really serious about castrating all their Nexus devices with 8GB or 16GB of storage and no way to expand it, I won't have any choice but to get a non-stock Android device. I'm thinking I might get a Galaxy Note II, hopefully it will be available in a 64GB variant on Verizon so I'll have plenty of storage now and I can add a microSD down the road if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom