• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

Nice! I have to remove and readd my account, though? Annoying.

No, just change the picture using gmail contacts on a desktop pc.
Does this only apply for 4.1.2 users?
No, as far as I understand it nothing has changed in Android (contacts photos were already of a good size), but Google have finally changed the contact sync that previously down-resed all the pics.

Nicktendo86

Doopliss

Apple patents touching your phone to unlock it. Seriously.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/10/3479550/apple-expands-patent-coverage-on-slide-to-unlock-feature

I'm waiting anxiously for when the US and EU finally start getting their antitrust shit together and go after Apple. They are blatantly using patents as an anti-competitive weapon and governments need to step in.
I think Jelly Bean already avoids this patent. There's no "unlock image" that you have to move, it just has the fixed grid of dots which light up as your finger passes over them.

jellybean2.png

Zeppu

I think Jelly Bean already avoids this patent. There's no "unlock image" that you have to move, it just has the fixed grid of dots which light up as your finger passes over them.

jellybean2.png

Hmm, you're right. I never realized that the unlock button disappears after you tap it.

kinggroin

Banned

jellybean2.png

Eh, not so sure about that.

That twinkling thing can be counted as an 'image'. The rest falls under that new broader patent.

I'm actually fairly disgusting by this. Not Apple attempts, but the grants they get; with no recourse in sight.

Only the S III gets around the new patent.

HTC retires from the tablet market for now.

SAN DIEGO--HTC has discontinued sales of tablets in the United States. However, a company executive said the Taiwanese handset maker could re-enter the space if it builds a tablet that could "make a splash."

"We're watching that market [tablets] very, very closely," said Jeff Gordon, HTC's global online communications manager.

"It was a great learning experience for us, and they definitely met expectations," Gordon said of the tablets. However, he acknowledged that Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPad continues to dominate the tablet market and he said that HTC would only consider returning to the tablet space if it developed a product that could make inroads against the iPad and other tablets.

Gordon said it's unclear what strategy HTC might take in a possible return to tablets. He said the company could try to tackle the lower-end of the market, as Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) has attempted with the Wi-Fi-only Nexus 7, or it could build a more powerful device that would cost more.

"We're very much not set on one strategy over another," he said. HTC's previous tablet entries have spanned the gamut: The company's Jetstream launched at $700 and its W-Fi-only Flyer device sold for $299 through Best Buy.

HTC isn't the only company to pull back from tablets. For example, Hewlett-Packard discontinued sales of its TouchPad tablet and LG Electronics decided this summer to put its tablet development on hold to concentrate on smartphones. Other companies though have redoubled their efforts in the space: Amazon recently announced the LTE-capable Kindle Fire HD and Apple is rumored to be preparing the smaller iPad Mini.
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/htc-tablets-fade-us-market-firm-keeps-options-open/2012-10-09

Doopliss

Eh, not so sure about that.

That twinkling thing can be counted as an 'image'. The rest falls under that new broader patent.

I'm actually fairly disgusting by this. Not Apple attempts, but the grants they get; with no recourse in sight.

Only the S III gets around the new patent.
The patent describes an unlock image that moves. The dots do not move, so there's no infringement.

Chili

The back looks really cool. It seems like a natural evolution from the Galaxy Nexus rather than a wildly different design which I like.

Cipherr

Paging Apple lawyers to expand the patent to cover dots, rainbows and unlock by thought.

Its already been reported that they requested an additional modification to that patent in July of this year in the Verge article. Of course, after Googles change to the 'flashlight over dots' effect with ICS and JB. I think we can all guess what that appendage will be. Something they hope that will cover Googles way of handling it.

All they want to do is impede competitors, the patent system allowing them to just endlessly tack on other peoples inventions and workarounds and gain ownership of them after the fact is hilariously broken. But I enjoy it because it shows Apples true colors, they are just chasing chasing chasing, and its hilarious to see.

The design is very similar to the Galaxy Nexus, or is it just me? Looks good nonetheless.

Yep, and the Nexus S shared a lot of similarities with the GNexus. Its definitely seems that Google has a style and body type that they seem to prefer.

Nicktendo86

The design is very similar to the Galaxy Nexus, or is it just me? Looks good nonetheless.

Ahuh, looks like a refinded, almost 'grown up' GNexus to me. Gone is the cheap pastic, in is the quality glass like material. Even maintains the textured look. I love it.

nib95

Banned
LG...really? Anyhow, the design of the back makes me think there's going to be little emphasis on the camera and flash quality. Hope I'm wrong though, but overall it's a nice design.

Nicktendo86

I don't think anyone can seriously defend this Nexus. Made by LG, "with Google", non replaceable battery and yeah, made by LG.

I will withhold final judgement until the phone has actually been, you know, announced but from what we know I like the specs and the design. Non removable battery is a downer but it does help with the design of the phone. One of the biggest critism of the GNexus was the pastic batery cover looked cheap, this solves that.

Made by LG? I have no problem with LG, I am sick to death with Samsung anyway. I thougt LG's phones were always okay anyway, it was mainly their horrible skin on Android that was the problem?

Kiraly

I have nothing against an non replaceable battery, shitty for those that want one, but it is not like the phone is entirely shit because it hasn't got a replaceable battery..

gcubed

I have nothing against non removable batteries if they are big enough. I've always been adamant about more phones going the "Maxx" route.

If its an 1800mah battery in it that's sealed then fuck off.

And poor LG. The nexus line doesn't sell like crazy but the gnex has been in the top 3 on vzw and sprint quite a bit. This phone is DOA in the US.

jokkir

Non-replacable batteries could be a huge problem for people who root and flash different ROMs on their phone a lot. A lot of ROMs are prone to just freeze and the only way out of it is to remove the battery which you can't really do with a non-replacable.

Not really a fan of it

Nicktendo86

Non-replacable batteries could be a huge problem for people who root and flash different ROMs on their phone a lot. A lot of ROMs are prone to just freeze and the only way out of it is to remove the battery which you can't really do with a non-replacable.

Not really a fan of it

I was going to say this actually, I've had to pull my battery many a time. I kind of want to get out the habit of constantly flashing my phone and just enjoy it though so this could be a good incentive to play it safe.

gcubed

Not really a fan of it

I thought we discussed this. You can reset frozen phones with a non replaceable battery.

What the hell is happening in Android land

S3 mini with garbage specs - could have been a great iPhone sized alternative.
LG (eww) nexus with 8gb no sd, no LTE, ugly design and screen looks washed out.

Make some flagship phones people jeez - not exactly inspiring confidence.

What are the chances of more Nexus models?

tino

Banned
hey now, LG isn't that bad... but the non-replaceable battery... ugh! and i say that as someone who owns a workaround.

Those solutions are not good enough. It charges very slowly. So if you are on a hiking trip, 70% or the time you have to plug in. And this is when the usb connector most likely to get damaged.

A replaceable battery is a much more elegent solution. Its lighter, easy to replace after 2 years, and they don't put stress on any part of the phone.

After 3 years of heavy usage, my HTC HD2 is on its 4th and 5th batteries. Image if it has a non replaceable battery, its battery life would have gone to shit and I can't even sell it. Basically non replaceable battery encourage shorter upgrade cycle and only benefit the manufacturers. Fuck that shit.

Those solutions are not good enough. It charges very slowly. So if you are on a hiking trip, 70% or the time you have to plug in. And this is when the usb connector most likely to get damaged.

A replaceable battery is a much more elegent solution. Its lighter, easy to replace after 2 years, and they don't put stress on any part of the phone.

After 3 years of heavy usage, my HTC HD2 is on its 4th and 5th batteries. Image if it has a non replaceable battery, its battery life would have gone to shit and I can't even sell it. Basically non replaceable battery encourage shorter upgrade cycle and only benefit the manufacturers. Fuck that shit.
i'm on your side! i have one of those in addition to a replaceable battery!

what's happening is everyone is making way for the Q4 flagship, 2012 Best Galaxy, The Next Big Thing, the Samsung Galaxy Note II

Do you have hardware or software problems?

As long as LG makes a competent phone, Google will take care of it software wise.

LG makes competent phones... well, except for that grounding issue on the HDMI port of the Optimus 2x/G2x... but other than that, they're pretty solid hardware in materials and workmanship.

gcubed

i doubt it will be only 8gb. It will be 8 and 16gb. Nexus models don't have SD cards, stop expecting it and you won't be disappointed. Google dislikes external storage

bearbomb

Neo Member
If you are willing to get a larger phone and pay a little extra I'd say get the Galaxy Note 2 since it's newer and comes with Jelly Bean.

GS3 isn't a bad pick. The Galaxy Nexus would be okay still I guess if you could get it on the super cheap.

Also the HTC One S isn't a bad phone if you want something smaller.

I think the note 2 is a bit too large, maybe I would have to see one.

I could get the gnexus for 29 dollars on a 3 year (upgrade in 2)

I just don't want to make a poor choice since I am "locked in" for 2 years with whatever phone I choose.

A lot of people I know and one dude who sells phones/owns a GS3 are telling me to get one, but it seems like GAF may not like it too much... unless I am wrong.

elsk

Banned
I think the note 2 is a bit too large, maybe I would have to see one.

I could get the gnexus for 29 dollars on a 3 year (upgrade in 2)

I just don't want to make a poor choice since I am "locked in" for 2 years with whatever phone I choose.

A lot of people I know and one dude who sells phones/owns a GS3 are telling me to get one, but it seems like GAF may not like it too much... unless I am wrong.

You can buy an unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Google for 350$usd

gcubed

You can buy an unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Google for 350$usd

i would wait. I wouldn't be surprised if that drops after the Nexus 4

http://content.onliner.by/news/2012/10/default/3a23fd1f45361e3f9ac1d6359718d53f_1349955374.jpeg[/I1MG]

screen looks vivid here[/QUOTE]

cries of washed out while you are getting terrible leaked pictures always struck me as a bit premature

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
So LG nexus has only 8gb, no sexy curved glass but has a quad core. I know its a developer phone but a little confused on it. Kinda like half flagship nexus phone.

Futureman

wtf about the 8GB? settle down people the phone hasn't be announced, for all we know this thing is a 6 month old prototype that they only stuck 8GB in to save on costs on a prototype. Wait til it's announced, then you guys can rage if it's only 8 GB and a shitty small battery.

jokkir

What's up with this leak anyway? Aren't leaks usually supposed to be really crappy cell phone shots and really blurry where it's indistinguishable to what we're looking at? Kinda like the Big Foot video lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom