• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's a coal fueled train with no coal left. It can only go so far.

It's like Waiting for
yJBGyZR.jpg

I think given the lack of rumours at this point IO is going to be dissapointing with no exciting news.

And the reason Rubin got bumped was he oversaw the worlds most contagious narcolepsy epidemic within the android offices.

MiKeD

Banned
Hmm... Maybe an APN setting issue?

Go into Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names and tell me which one is selected. Also let us know what phone and carrier you have.

Well I actually went ahead with the factory reset and it worked. I just received a couple of texts.
Got a pretty old phone 'X10 Mini Pro' which still runs 2.1 Eclair and now I got a different problem. Well, it's not really a problem just something that annoys me.
I backed up the apps I had and after the reset it automatically redownloaded the apps from the Market. Except for 1, which happened to be my most used app and now the Play Store says it's not compatible with my phone. Apparently I suddenly need to have at least Froyo. WHAT THE FUCK. It's the 'Sportacular' app by Yahoo, btw.

Tried to get a random apk from the web but my file explorer couldn't 'parse' it. I NEED that app.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I see Viber got a pretty big update today.
It no longer looks like garbage, being a direct port of the iOS version and has a very nice Holo light style interface.

Groof

I see Viber got a pretty big update today.
It no longer looks like garbage, being a direct port of the iOS version and has a very nice Holo light style interface.

It's great seeing these kinds of updates. Whatsapp's update was pretty good as well. Now if only Kakao Talk and LINE followed suit...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well I actually went ahead with the factory reset and it worked. I just received a couple of texts.
Got a pretty old phone 'X10 Mini Pro' which still runs 2.1 Eclair and now I got a different problem. Well, it's not really a problem just something that annoys me.
I backed up the apps I had and after the reset it automatically redownloaded the apps from the Market. Except for 1, which happened to be my most used app and now the Play Store says it's not compatible with my phone. Apparently I suddenly need to have at least Froyo. WHAT THE FUCK. It's the 'Sportacular' app by Yahoo, btw.

Tried to get a random apk from the web but my file explorer couldn't 'parse' it. I NEED that app.

Sounds like you need to add getting a newer phone to your list of things to do this year! :p

A lot of people use iPhones, Faceless, and it makes way too much sense for Apple to meet the gap between iMessage and Facetime with a VoIP solution. Although, to be fair, they just may have the data to determine that it's not much of a need.

Over half the new activations at Verizon last quarter were iPhones and around 80% of AT&Ts.

you mean smartphone activations.

they have google voice, there should be a way to tie G+ to GVoice, and when you sign up for their consolidated messaging you receive a virtual number to route SMS through. Barring that, this is one of the few times where I want the IOS app out RIGHT NOW... there is no Gtalk app for IOS, they NEED a messaging client for IOS. Plenty of IOS people (that use Gtalk all the time on the computer) I know use Whatsapp solely because it is cross platform

a virtual number is another number. another thing for everyone else to deal with.

hey I recently switched with no problems. I win.

some people aren't so lucky.

MiKeD

Banned
Sounds like you need to add getting a newer phone to your list of things to do this year! :p

Ha yea. It does look like I'm going to have to upgrade.

If/When I'm going to get one, I'd really like it to have a slideout keyboard like mine has now.
I remember asking this question here several months ago, if there are some good/decent phones out there with a slideout keyboard. Doesn't have to be an amazing phone, just a good upgrade from my old 2.1.

gcubed

i would need to see a flowchart of how this would be transparent to the user and also not fuck things up in one of various ways.

flowcharts are for implementers. I only throw out ideas. I will use "magic" in a place where i have no idea.

G+ account gets tied to number 111-111-1111 -> If sender sending to non "Hangouts" user -> SMS forwarded through Google, sender # changed to phone number -> Gets SMS from user

User replies -> SMS message received in app

Google just has to spoof outbound SMS messages to show from standard phone number. This is the "magic". I'm assuming its possible, but may not be legal

Isn't the only problem with iMessage that it doesn't (didn't?) detect when a person switched back to SMS on a non-iPhone device? That seems like it would be very easy to fix for Google. Why do they need to build a different system from Apple's?

Groof

If they can't do an iMessage like functionality, at least throw SMS in under the same app in a different tab or something. Would at least lessen clutter and keeping track of apps.

Goes without saying. I'm sorry, I thought it was in the Android thread, not the Kyocera thread.

i wonder what % of Android phone sales in the US have the play store... it's gotta be pretty close to 100%

flowcharts are for implementers. I only throw out ideas. I will use "magic" in a place where i have no idea.

G+ account gets tied to number 111-111-1111 -> If sender sending to non "Hangouts" user -> SMS forwarded through Google, sender # changed to phone number -> Gets SMS from user

User replies -> SMS message received in app

Google just has to spoof outbound SMS messages to show from standard phone number. This is the "magic". I'm assuming its possible, but may not be legal

bolded is the monkey wrench.

Just installed 4.1.2 on my gf's Sola (yes it's a disaster phone I know, but she was insistent even though I pushed the GS3 mini and Xperia P). Man I have no idea why Sony couldn't push this exact update officially, sure there are a couple of bugs initially but after installing the community made patches it runs like a brand new phone. Smooth, fast, all the features work, hell even the camera takes better pictures!

Seriously bad form from Sony not to release an official 4.1.2 update for U/Sola even though it's blatantly obvious that both phones can run it without any issues and it makes the phones a million times better. If they did it to push people on these devices onto 2013 phones then I will be very annoyed with them because it definitely can't be performance related after using a community ported 4.1.2 release on a Sola.

Zeppu

ERMAHGAWD GOOGLE WAT R U DOIN BABEL IS SUCH A STUPID NAME AW GAWD WHAT ARE YOU THINKING SOMEONE BETTER BE GETTING FIRED FOR THIS!!!

ZOMGZ GOOGLE HANGOUT SUCKS WTF YOU CAN'T TELL PEOPLE TO HANGOUT YOU BABEL WAS SO MUCH BETTERS!!!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just flat out don't believe that they won't integrate SMS functionality into their messaging platform.

Agreed. I'm not giving up yet. I expect sms.

SimleuqiR

ERMAHGAWD GOOGLE WAT R U DOIN BABEL IS SUCH A STUPID NAME AW GAWD WHAT ARE YOU THINKING SOMEONE BETTER BE GETTING FIRED FOR THIS!!!

ZOMGZ GOOGLE HANGOUT SUCKS WTF YOU CAN'T TELL PEOPLE TO HANGOUT YOU BABEL WAS SO MUCH BETTERS!!!!

I'm going to just say, "Message me on Google".

Depending on what that person needs to be able to do that, assuming they can add me via Gmail (email), Phone #, or already in my Google+ circles.

Groof

I'm going to just say, "Message me on Google".

Depending on what that person needs to be able to do that, assuming they can add me via Gmail (email), Phone #, or already in my Google+ circles.

I'd usually just tell someone to flat out message me, then it's up to them how. I mean, I've already got almost every single messaging platform out there installed so why the fuck not

3phemeral

Have you never told someone "Text me?"

I think of "text" as more natural as it's like sending a package to someone. It's more flexible because it's more linguistically modifiable, so it's easier to incorporate into natural language. Texted/texts/text. I don't think "hangout" has that same benefit. If it's ever going to make its way into conversational use, it needs to have the potential to be slanged to some degree.

Groof

I think of "text" as more natural as it's like sending a package to someone. It's more flexible because it's more linguistically modifiable, so it's easier to incorporate into natural language. Texted/texts/text. I don't think "hangout" has that same benefit. If it's ever going to make its way into conversational use, it needs to have the potential to be slanged to some degree.

"Let's Hangout."
"He/She Hungout me." alt. "He/She Hangouted me."
"I got spammed with Hangouts."

Groof

That's how Google should present it on stage.

"Unified messaging? YO WE GOT THAT, SON. IT'S CALLED HANGOUTS, BITCH. HANG. OUTSSSSS."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom