• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
enlightened

2423095-boo_this_man.gif

Nicktendo86

So just got back to work after popping into an EE shop at lunch, had a quick fondle of the GS4.

They actually had two units, one white and one black but the white one was smashed. It looked like they tightened the little cradle that holds the demo phones in place too tight and it completely cracked the screen. Consequence of the smaller bezels perhaps? The phone was off so I had a go on the black one.

First impressions - meh. Didn't like the textured look on the plastic, I thought it looked tacky and a little off putting. It felt similar to the S3, plastic innit.

They seem to have made the space at the bottom with the back/menu/home buttons smaller to accommodate the bigger screen and I found it a little difficult to adjust my hand to reach. I do, admittedly, have fairly small hands but I find my GNexus perfect for size.

I didn't find any of the slowdowns or hiccups that people seem to mention so that was good. can I just say I hate touchwiz so much, it seems even worse than the S3. The drop drop sounds when you touch things was also so irritating, I turned that off on the store's phone to do everyone a favour.

The screen was gorgeous, I am AMOLED hater number one but it looked lovely. Very crisp and sharp, lovely colours. I was very aware though that they were a bit too much, I only remembered about the colour settings the phone has now when I left so I didn't try them. Personally I stil prefer the IPS screen of the N4.
I didn't have time to try many of the features, just tried smart scroll. I found it worse than useless, I had to move my whole head down to get it to scroll and I felt like a buffoon in the shop doing that.

Overall: very meh. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend this over a N4 or even, god forbid, an iPhone 5. It will sell gangbusters but Samsung need to town down touchwiz and improve their build materials.

MarkusRJR

After having to deal with a half broken Motorola Milestone for upwards of 4 months after my main phone broke, I've decided I'm going to get a cheap ($80-100) cell phone to use in case my Nexus 4 breaks or gets lost/stolen. Is there anything around that price android-wise (or any OS really) that's not horrible?

After having to deal with a half broken Motorola Milestone for upwards of 4 months after my main phone broke, I've decided I'm going to get a cheap ($80-100) cell phone to use in case my Nexus 4 breaks or gets lost/stolen. Is there anything around that price android-wise (or any OS really) that's not horrible?

Lumia 520?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Best thing to do is to see if you can snag a family member/friend/ co-work that has an old phone on your network and doesn't mind giving it to you when they upgrade.

ScOULaris

It is Google I/O rumor time!

Phandroid Article

Google Babel to launch as Google Hangouts, Gmail getting card-style Holo update soon [RUMOR]

Yeah, just another site reporting on that same forum post from a few days ago.

I've lost all interest in Hangouts (or Babel) ever since the updated post mentioned that SMS isn't integrated. This was their chance, man, and they friggin' blew it. This is just gonna be a basic upgrade to Google Talk and little more.

MiKeD

Banned
If I can't receive any texts but I can send them while also being able to call people and receive calls, does it mean there's a software issue with my phone?

I can receive texts when I try an old phone, so I know the problem lays with my smartphone.
Would it get fixed with a factory reset?

ScOULaris

If I can't receive any texts but I can send them while also being able to call people and receive calls, does it mean there's a software issue with my phone?

I can receive texts when I try an old phone, so I know the problem lays with my smartphone.
Would it get fixed with a factory reset?

Hmm... Maybe an APN setting issue?

Go into Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names and tell me which one is selected. Also let us know what phone and carrier you have.

gcubed

Yeah, just another site reporting on that same forum post from a few days ago.

I've lost all interest in Hangouts (or Babel) ever since the updated post mentioned that SMS isn't integrated. This was their chance, man, and they friggin' blew it. This is just gonna be a basic upgrade to Google Talk and little more.

agreed. Its been an issue for years now and I can't believe they can't figure out a good method to integrate SMS and Google Voice but Apple can. They need a day 1 IOS client, because until they can get just about everyone using their messenger service, its useless if it doesnt integrate SMS.

This is shaping up to be such a let down for Android at I/O. First time i'm not terribly anticipating the keynote. Another revision of Jelly Bean, *Yawn*. Game Center, *Yawn*. Consolidated messaging thats not consolidated, *Yawn*.

why do people keep saying Apple has a good method? it's a terrible method unless you are 100% all in on iOS and all of your contacts are too. plus despite the complaints, people are still having issues when they switch phones to something non-Apple.

i mean, i guess that's a good enough method if you live in SF/LA/NY.

Talon

A lot of people use iPhones, Faceless, and it makes way too much sense for Apple to meet the gap between iMessage and Facetime with a VoIP solution. Although, to be fair, they just may have the data to determine that it's not much of a need.

Over half the new activations at Verizon last quarter were iPhones and around 80% of AT&Ts.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there a way to edit what appears when I press the share button in apps? Or at least re-order them to what I use most at the top?

gcubed

why do people keep saying Apple has a good method? it's a terrible method unless you are 100% all in on iOS and all of your contacts are too. plus despite the complaints, people are still having issues when they switch phones to something non-Apple.

they have google voice, there should be a way to tie G+ to GVoice, and when you sign up for their consolidated messaging you receive a virtual number to route SMS through. Barring that, this is one of the few times where I want the IOS app out RIGHT NOW... there is no Gtalk app for IOS, they NEED a messaging client for IOS. Plenty of IOS people (that use Gtalk all the time on the computer) I know use Whatsapp solely because it is cross platform

hey I recently switched with no problems. I win.

ScOULaris

Honestly, it would be good enough if Babel simply integrated SMS the same way that Facebook Messenger does. It doesn't merge contacts or anything, but you can still send and receive texts with it alongside Facebook messages.

This shouldn't be hard at all to do, and it would make sense. We'd finally have a polished SMS app with emojicons and other modern niceties, and we'd also have an updated chat client that consolidates Google Talk and G+ Chat. I will be flabbergasted if they don't do this. There will be no excuse.

Pctx

Banned
I know you're trying to be funny and all that, but it's getting annoying. It's nothing more than mindless spam at this point and stopped being funny a while ago.

You either are on the hype train or getting run over by it constantly. Which one are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom