• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

Waaait, they kept the S-Voice on S4? Have they made it better or is it still the same POS as before?

Yeah curious about that. Did they completely give up on it after just rushing it out there to compete with Siri or did they make actual improvements on it over time?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Waaait, they kept the S-Voice on S4? Have they made it better or is it still the same POS as before?

Yeah curious about that. Did they completely give up on it after just rushing it out there to compete with Siri or did they make actual improvements on it over time?

Actually, S-Voice got sass this time around:

s-voice-iphone_fixed.jpg

S Voice is Samsung's take on a voice-based personal assistant. And by that we mean it's heavily inspired by Apple's Siri on the iPhone. So it's no surprise -- if a little amusing -- to see Samsung's app poking fun at its long-time rival. On the international Samsung Galaxy S4 (and some other Samsung phones -- we've had varying results), asking S Voice if it's ever used an iPhone prompts the response "No, I have standards." Ask it "Are you Siri?" and it's a little more coy -- "I like to think I am." But it stops short of any direct attacks -- ask it "Do you like Apple?" and it tells you it has no problems with anyone, but its loyalties lie with Samsung.

It's one of a few Easter eggs we've run into in S Voice. Back when it launched on the Galaxy S3 we put it to the "woodchuck test," which it passed with flying colors. If you've run into any cheeky behavior from S Voice, be sure to hit the comments and share them with the world.

VoxPop

Actually, S-Voice got sass this time around:

s-voice-iphone_fixed.jpg

Damn that UI is hideous :p

-Pyromaniac- said:
They're actually still working on it for some reason. Not surprising though. They want less google and more samsung anywhere possible.

I can't even imagine a full on Touchwiz phone if for whatever reason Google decided to pull the rug out from all the manufacturers and take away Android.

MeeGo actually looks pretty damn nice compared to Android but of course they'd be stuck in that terrible situation Windows Phone is in with apps and all that
the difference is samsung can gain more marketshare than microsoft easily with their own OS just off the galaxy brand alone, so all they'd need is to open their own store and devs will have no choice but to go where the money is.

VoxPop

the difference is samsung can gain more marketshare than microsoft easily with their own OS just off the galaxy brand alone, so all they'd need is to open their own store and devs will have no choice but to go where the money is.

Are people really that dense that they would purchase a Galaxy phone knowing it doesn't run Android though?

Are people really that dense that they would purchase a Galaxy phone knowing it doesn't run Android though?
yes they are lol, never underestimate casual buyers. Most of them are using smartphones with data plans yet they never even use the internet on their phone. You think they know what they're doing?

Groof

seriously though, of all the things i was surprised to hear the people i know that own a GS4 say about the GS4, that one was the most interesting. no more stretching to the top. no more pressing the side button. just home.

I know. It's really strange what people like about the Galaxy series, but hey, good for Samsung.
I did however see an HTC One in the wild for the first time last week and boy, it looked just as beautiful as I thought it would. Need to go check if there's demo exes in stores so I can get some of dat HANDS ON, SON.

RJM77

I don't believe that a Samsung Galaxy phone running a Samsung OS would do all that well. If Apple can't release the iPhone 5 sans Google Maps without a PR nightmare, imagine how Samsung would do without any Google Apps/Play whatsoever.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't believe that a Samsung Galaxy phone running a Samsung OS would do all that well. If Apple can't release the iPhone 5 sans Google Maps without a PR nightmare, imagine how Samsung would do without any Google Apps/Play whatsoever.

how much did that bad PR hurt apples sales? most of the negativity wasn't due to the lack of Google Maps, but rather for the poor replacement got

Groof

It'd make no sense whatsoever. With Android they not only get the Google suite of apps, but they also get the OS's groundwork already done for them. They save time and money on creating an entire OS from scratch and can focus on making all their shitty S features and marketing.
Though I wouldn't put it behind them that they wouldn't just some day rebrand Android as S Droid and call it their own.

Has anyone had problems with android just deleting custom ringtones whenever it feels like it? Today about an hour ago my galaxy nexus decided it didn't like my text tone anymore and poof its gone. I can't find it anywhere in the sounds menu.

VoxPop

It'd make no sense whatsoever. With Android they not only get the Google suite of apps, but they also get the OS's groundwork already done for them. They save time and money on creating an entire OS from scratch and can focus on making all their shitty S features and marketing.
Though I wouldn't put it behind them that they wouldn't just some day rebrand Android as S Droid and call it their own.

Yeah, my uncle uses the GS4 now and he was telling me how great the operating system was that Samsung made.

Cipherr

the difference is samsung can gain more marketshare than microsoft easily with their own OS just off the galaxy brand alone

Shiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeet. And they would kill that brand name among millions if they shipped a phone labeled "Galaxy" that was incompatible with all the previous galaxy owners Play Music, Movies, Books, Shows, Apps and Games.

People would cry bloody murder if they bought a Galaxy phone and noticed after purchase that it had no GoogleMaps, Gmail, Youtube, Calendar nor any of the other stuff they bought over the past years.

kinggroin

Banned
Shiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeet. And they would kill that brand name among millions if they shipped a phone labeled "Galaxy" that was incompatible with all the previous galaxy owners Play Music, Movies, Books, Shows, Apps and Games.

People would cry bloody murder if they bought a Galaxy phone and noticed after purchase that it had no GoogleMaps, Gmail, Youtube, Calendar nor any of the other stuff they bought over the past years.

Nah

SMaps, Smail, Stube, and there's already a calendar.

The Google versions will be present as web apps.

I don't think they'll ditch android so much as push all Google services as far back on their phones as possible

Has LTE...
there you go, point for the first.

smabel smaps svoice stube scalendar shealth stalk

They're actually still working on it for some reason. Not surprising though. They want less google and more samsung anywhere possible.

I know this is impossible for someone like you to comprehend, but maybe Samsung works on features of their phones because they actually want to improve them and make them work better for their customers?

I know this is impossible for someone like you to comprehend, but maybe Samsung works on features of their phones because they actually want to improve them and make them work better for their customers?
nah google now is better, and baked into the OS. Let google do that, and you work on making your operating system not look like it was designed for 6 year olds.

Let's go back to Samsung:

Can you guys believe that the home button lag (due to S Voice) is still there on the GS4? What a huge piece of crap!

A number of people have studied the home button wakeup lag at XDA and concluded that it's not S Voice. Even when you turn S Voice off, the lag persists. Instead, it's because Samsung has changed the way sleep works so that Deep Sleep is enforced when the screen turns off even when apps demand Wakelock. This is why Samsung devices have longer idle time battery life than most other Android devices, including the HTC One. So the phone is always in Deep Sleep when you hit the Power or Home buttons to wake it, and that takes longer than when the phone is just in the lowest waking power state.

nah google now is better, and baked into the OS. Let google do that, and you work on making your operating system not look like it was designed for 6 year olds.

The market for 6 year olds is huge, just look at the Nintendo DS and 3DS for examples. Vita is dead because it's not marketed towards kids at all!

buhdeh

A number of people have studied the home button wakeup lag at XDA and concluded that it's not S Voice. Even when you turn S Voice off, the lag persists. Instead, it's because Samsung has changed the way sleep works so that Deep Sleep is enforced when the screen turns off even when apps demand Wakelock. This is why Samsung devices have longer idle time battery life than most other Android devices, including the HTC One. So the phone is always in Deep Sleep when you hit the Power or Home buttons to wake it, and that takes longer than when the phone is just in the lowest waking power state.

That's not the lag people talk about. I had a GS3. When you press the home button, there's a huge delay before it goes back to your home screen. When you disable the S Voice shortcut, it completely eliminates the lag.

I wasn't aware there was any wakeup lag. Or at least, I didn't notice it.

The market for 6 year olds is huge, just look at the Nintendo DS and 3DS for examples. Vita is dead because it's not marketed towards kids at all!

you're thinking of wakeup lag, not home lag when the phone is already on.

iavi

Does anybody know of a good app to stream MKVs, or access my files on my PC from the Nex7, so I can just play the vids through MXplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom