• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

I don't disagree, handhelds are traditionally popular with kids because they're affordable gaming systems. But right now more kids want and own smart devices as a result of the handheld market shrinking and phones/tablets being capable of more than just gaming.

I don't disagree, handhelds are traditionally popular with kids because they're affordable gaming systems. But right now more kids want and own smart devices as a result of the handheld market shrinking and phones/tablets being capable of more than just gaming.

I agree with this completely, which is why I was responding to pyro's dumb comment dismissing Samsung's TouchWiz UI as 'being for 6 year olds' by noting that kids are an important market. I'm not sure why you jumped in to begin with, I was handling him just fine.

iavi

Submarino Conversível;57216292 said:
BSPlayer is yet to refuse itself to stream anything I try. Even fullhd mkvs work.

Got everything working flawlessly with the combo of XMBC, UPnPlay, and MXplayer.

Could be a bit more elegant, but it's working without issue.

Quasar

Does anybody know of a good app to stream MKVs, or access my files on my PC from the Nex7, so I can just play the vids through MXplayer?

I imagine Plex Server works. And I certainly prefer it over xbmc because of its client server architecture versus what XBMC uses.

The Android client is excellent too, especially with the syncing feature. Really love that feature.

Groof

I agree with this completely, which is why I was responding to pyro's dumb comment dismissing Samsung's TouchWiz UI as 'being for 6 year olds' by noting that kids are an important market. I'm not sure why you jumped in to begin with, I was handling him just fine.

Even if it wasn't marketed towards 6 year olds, it sure as hell looks like it was made by 6 year olds.

The thought of you "handling" someone always makes me laugh, because it seems like you have no idea how it makes you look like.

kinggroin

Banned
Thanks! What server app would you recommend to set up on the PC?

E: holy hell this app is a serious case of functionality over form

E2: XMBC looks like it'll take care of the PC side of things

Keep in mind that as awesome as xbmc is, you'll need to run the full client (it can be minimized) in order for the server to work. It eats up some CPU cycles.

I tried Plex, but can't stand the web interface and its stubborn refusal to transport media to my phone or bluray player without horribly transcoding it.

Quasar

I tried Plex, but can't stand the web interface and its stubborn refusal to transport media to my phone or bluray player without horribly transcoding it.

Well for me, on my phone as long as the video is the same res as my phone and I have direct play enabled, the experimental transcoder disabled, as well as the force transcode on non supported subs it plays everything untouched on my phone.

As for the management interface, I really like it. But then I frequently am doing stuff away from my PC. I really like that there is a separate server management tool. Unlike XBMC where I was always having to manually edit the database.

Groof

Hahahaha out having a beer with my dad and he's cursing Samsung for all the bullshit widgets they put on the home screens ahahaha

Polari

That Moto acquisition is looking pretty disastrous right about now. Googy pls. Rebrand to something like Google M (fuck that Motorola jank, Google brand is way more powerful) and get phones running vanilla Android out the door. Three classes, flagship, mid-tier and entry-level, refresh every 9-12 months, boom. I know they're scared of pissing off OEMs, but when you look at the likes of Samsung and HTC, with their skins and added software they move further and further away from Android anyway, so might as well move to reinforce the platform in consumers' minds before it's too late.

HawkeyeIC

That Moto acquisition is looking pretty disastrous right about now. Googy pls. Rebrand to something like Google M (fuck that Motorola jank, Google brand is way more powerful) and get phones running vanilla Android out the door. Three classes, flagship, mid-tier and entry-level, refresh every 9-12 months, boom. I know they're scared of pissing off OEMs, but when you look at the likes of Samsung and HTC, with their skins and added software they move further and further away from Android anyway, so might as well move to reinforce the platform in consumers' minds before it's too late.

Didn't China basically say no to the above suggestion in order for Google to get regulatory approval to buy Moto?

buhdeh

Yeah Motorola is a garbage brand now. Unless they do some serious rebranding with it, they should just make it an official part of Google.

SimleuqiR

Google may have given up on XFON project because it lacked innovation/new technology. If you believe this analyst. To be clear, the analyst says it's not ditched, just google is going back to the drawing board.

http://gsminsider.com/2013/05/09/goo...phone-project/

ahhahahahaahahahaaa

I just don't get what does this project have over the Nexus program. I feel that Google has made every new revision of the Nexus better.

In regards to the Moto brand, just place the Moto "M" in the back, at the bottom (really small). Just like the LG in the Nexus. And instead of a "Nexus" name in the back, just go with the old trusted "Google". Remember how it used to be?

Google-Nexus-One-f_1554334c.jpg

Just make the Google or "with Google" brand stand out.

Well presumably Google wants their own iPhone. That's what the x phone project is supposed to be about.

Just sounds like it's failing left and right lol.

Does anyone have a problem with the Netflix app just not signing in? Like I put in my username and password and when I touch "sign in" nothing happens. The button below depresses like it's going to work and nothing. I've uninstalled the updates and upgraded it again the the latest version, deleted the user data and cleared the cache, but nothing seems to fix it. It's super annoying.

Polari

In regards to the Moto brand, just place the Moto "M" in the back, at the bottom (really small). Just like the LG in the Nexus. And instead of a "Nexus" name in the back, just go with the old trusted "Google". Remember how it used to be?

Google-Nexus-One-f_1554334c.jpg

Just make the Google or "with Google" brand stand out.

I was thinking they should just rebrand the whole division along these lines:

Rt3HC6B.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
nexus-logo.png

Man the N1 really did have the best boot animation of all time. It being used in an article about XFON is a slap in the face and a true disgrace.

Edit-

boot2.gif

7a62a.gif

Groof

http://gsminsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/nexus-logo.png[img]

Man the N1 really did have the best boot animation of all time. It being used in an article about XFON is a slap in the face and a true disgrace.

Edit-

[img]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1884/boot2.gif[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7a62a.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Naw, the JB boot animation is king.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VqmBJ.gif

So simple, so slick, so good.

SimleuqiR

Well presumably Google wants their own iPhone. That's what the x phone project is supposed to be about.

Just sounds like it's failing left and right lol.

I just don't see this happening under the Motorola brand. Moto is already tarnished (maybe I'm being too hard) by the Droid branding on Verizon. I feel that the Nexus brand has more weight right now.

But if Google wants iPhone or Galaxy S mindshare they are going to have to spend much mula on advertisement. And sweeten the deal with God knows how many carriers. I read that Samsung has contracts in place with like 250+ carriers worldwide.

I was thinking they should just rebrand the whole division along these lines:

http://i.imgur.com/Rt3HC6B.png

Again, I just don't think the Motorola brand has any weight in the mobile space any more. This is just my personal opinion - I could be completely wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom