• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahead of I/O, Google Wallet Drops Plans to Introduce a Physical Card
Google will update its Wallet product at its I/O developer conference next week, but will not include the physical credit card that the company had considered launching at the event, according to sources.

Sources said the scuttling — for now — of an extended effort to roll out such a card was announced in a recent memo that also included the news that Google Wallet head Osama Bedier was leaving the company.

Those who have seen it said the Google card had a black face adorned with the whimsical rainbow “W” of the Google Wallet logo, a standard magnetic stripe and the usual raised numbers of a credit card embossed on it.
http://allthingsd.com/20130510/goog...-on-but-longtime-physical-card-plan-scuttled/

I have no trouble holding the ipad mini without triggering anything. The amount of content you see on the mini in comparison to the nexus 7 makes it impossible for me to ever go back to the nexus 7.

edit: there was an android police article back in november that revealed the physical credit card plans. You android police lovers should be ashamed.

PriitV

I have no trouble holding the ipad mini without triggering anything. The amount of content you see on the mini in comparison to the nexus 7 makes it impossible for me to ever go back to the nexus 7.

edit: there was an android police article back in november that revealed the physical credit card plans. You android police lovers should be ashamed.

Because iPad mini has the finger detection for touch events.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google adds push alerts to Chrome for more efficient apps

With Google I/O just a few days away, the Chrome team has added push alert support for apps in its browser or Chrome OS. Google Cloud Messaging for Chrome is designed to let apps receive notifications from outside Chrome and respond to them more efficiently. Before introducing Cloud Messaging for Chrome, apps that wanted to respond to an outside trigger — like a news alert or a message that the user has sent — would have to keep checking back with a server, using more data and power. Now, developers can have the app request a token, then have their server post a message with said token to Cloud Messaging. From there, as long as the user is signed into Chrome, it will alert the app and deliver the message.

Essentially, this is a way to let Chrome apps only run when they're needed.
So soon before Google's big event, though, it's also tempting to connect this kind of upgrade to a future launch of Google Now for Chrome, which has been strongly hinted at in Chromium and Chrome OS updates. Either way, developers can check out the Cloud Messaging page now, and a Google blog post explains a little more about what's behind the process.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/10/4...pps?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=app.net

What great timing for a Hangout app.

?

?

bob page

The N7 screen is just too narrow. Using the thing in landscape is pretty useless, especially with the keyboard up. With the Mini aspect ratio, it's a lot more functional.

I'd be willing to consider it if they upped it to 8", though.

looks like LG is practicing their thin bezel skills in preparation for the nexus 5:

Z7b9L5e.jpg

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...-soon-to-google-wallet-and-more-new-features/

If they are going all out on reducing bezels I imagine the nexus 5 wont be bigger than the 4 in any way, especially with google emphasizing their preference for smaller devices lately. At least that's what I think.

They wouldn't introduce a N5 after 6-7 months... would they?
But that's Google, everything is possible.
what do you mean? The nexus 4 came out last october. Nexus 5 is scheduled for around the same time this year.

Definitely not happening at i/o. LG on the other hand is ready to announce their next Optimus G phone(s).

so whats the shameful part?

and that mini/7 content comment?
the shameful part is that you guys claim to love android police but didn't realize that google was planning a physical card when they were the ones that leaked it! Keep up!

Also not sure what you mean about the mini/7 thing. I was just saying that the mini shows a lot more content.

Pctx

Banned
the shameful part is that you guys claim to love android police but didn't realize that google was planning a physical card when they were the ones that leaked it! Keep up!

Also not sure what you mean about the mini/7 thing. I was just saying that the mini shows a lot more content.

Shut up and go buy your XFON.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Google Wallet card could have been amazing if it had NFC as well.

No I don't know how that would work but I imagine it sounds amazing.

Wait, what about those Master Card Tap and Go things? Something like that (which GWallet phones already use!)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whenever I use the chrome web store I feel dirty. Really wish they could find a way to merge android and chrome (and thus those stores)

It's going to get better very soon. They're de-emphasizing the website shortcut "apps" and instead pushing actual native-ish packaged apps.

image.png

Screenshot+from+2013-04-30+11%253A23%253A43.png

but we knew, or at least i did... i thought you were inplying they were not trustworthy or something...

as for 'shows a lot more content', what does that even mean?

Groof

I think the current form factor is pretty stellar, but if they're gonna use the same physical size then a screen size upgrade is in order. If they want to keep the 7" display then they need to shrink them bezels down, son. I've no real problem with them, but a lot of wasted space could be eliminated.

because of the reduced side bezels the mini shows a lot more.

ghAW0rY.png

It's only slightly bigger in size but the reduced bezel makes all the difference.
wasn't that debunked after people visited various websites and noted that the Nexus 7 had a different default scaling size? plus if you're in the Nexus 7's designed primary orientation, then the Nexus 7 displays more.

eg:

i remember i had one of those. only ever used it for online deals...

wasn't that debunked after people visited various websites and noted that the Nexus 7 had a different default scaling size? plus if you're in the Nexus 7's designed primary orientation, then the Nexus 7 displays more.

eg:

i remember i had one of those. only ever used it for online deals...
regardless the one on the right looks way better to me.

Polari

I definitely prefer 4:3 at the 7 inch size, way less cramped. The only downside I can see is watching movies, but that's not a big deal personally.

Doopliss

because of the reduced side bezels the mini shows a lot more.

ghAW0rY.png

It's only slightly bigger in size but the reduced bezel makes all the difference.

The 16:10 screen wouldn't be that bad if Chrome went fullscreen when you scroll down like it does on phones and if Google hadn't added an extra system bar to the tablet interface in Jelly Bean. So much screen space is not being used for displaying content.

ipadmini_0581.jpg

The only place 4:3 sucks is for movies and only if you really hate black bars. 4:3 is good because its basically position agnostic. 16:9 is mostly awful when you have it in portrait mode.

I thought that everyone actually hated 16:9 or am I just reading the wrong websites?

The only place 4:3 sucks is for movies and only if you really hate black bars. 4:3 is good because its basically position agnostic. 16:9 is mostly awful when you have it in portrait mode.

I thought that everyone actually hated 16:9 or am I just reading the wrong websites?

Hahah ... Haha.. Ha... There are more than enough people on this board alone that think 16:9 is super awesome in personal computing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom