• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not sure just how awesome this would be. I never found Game Centre on iOS awesome either, and iOS has a more mature games market.

iOS has so many more games, that's true. However, Apple's app effort has been absolutely terrible until recently (when they fixed their podcasts app, which was literally the worst app ever made). So, it would not take very much for Google to make something better than Game center.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm still not sure just how awesome this would be. I never found Game Centre on iOS awesome either, and iOS has a more mature games market.

Apple themselves just sort of threw game center out there half baked and never really did anything with it though. IMO it wouldn't be that hard to get something better if Google put forth more effort.

I get that Apple has a way better game ecosystem, but that is irrespective of game center.

Quasar

Apple themselves just sort of threw game center out there half baked and never really did anything with it though. IMO it wouldn't be that hard to get something better if Google put forth more effort.

I get that Apple has a way better game ecosystem, but that is irrespective of game center.

True. Part of it I guess is I don't really know what I'd want from such a system. Is a good matchmaking and achievement system for all games to access all that is wanted? I'm just not really that clear on what I want from a games social network layer. Hell...even on traditional platforms (PC and consoles) I don;t really know what I want and would have me interested.

I can't wait until they flesh out the Epic Citadel thing into a game. It looks so fantastic.

Umm, Epic Citadel was originally released as a demonstration of Unreal Engine as used in Infinity Blade.

Too bad that game will never come to Android.

Apple's game ecosystem is better because it's so much easier to make games for the few variants of iPhone than for the infinite variants of Android devices. It's not unlike making a game for just 360/PS3 versus also making a PC version. The 360/PS3 are fixed platforms, there are infinite configurations of PCs. Also as we all know by now Android's audio framework has more issues than Korn. There's a lot Google could do to make Android game programming easier, and then developers would find it more worth the effort to make games for Android. Games like, oh I don't know, Infinity Blade.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The games stuff is awesome and a long time coming. I can't believe match making and cloud saves took this long.

Someone make an awesome AKI No Mercy kind of game.

That's the main reason I'm looking forward to my OUYA. I only wish we could play online together.

I wonder if Nvidia realizes yet that the Shield will be a Bomba Total if they price it much higher than $99.

If I were Nvidia I would be rushing to get the Shield out before the Ouya as well.

Quasar

Also as we all know by now Android's audio framework has more issues than Korn. There's a lot Google could do to make Android game programming easier, and then developers would find it more worth the effort to make games for Android.

Just what are those issues. I'd never really followed android that closely. And at least for media playback audio works just as well as on iOS.

Games like, oh I don't know, Infinity Blade.

I can't say I care about that, but then I found that game boring. Pretty sure, but thats about all.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
That's the main reason I'm looking forward to my OUYA. I only wish we could play online together.

I've been playing No Mercy, Wrestlemania 2000 and Revenge pretty regularly since I picked up a N64 for nostalgia purposes. The mechanics hold up so well.

If it wasn't for my well known N4 issues it would have been rooted, synced to two Dualshocks and outputting through HDMI already.

Just what are those issues. I'd never really followed android that closely. And at least for media playback audio works just as well as on iOS.

The biggest problems are latency and performance when doing other tasks in real-time. Not coincidentally, these are crucial problems for game programming. They are also big problems for doing audio production which is one reason why iOS has all the apps for that niche and Android has none.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, in that case I'm sorry but I don't think this was thread worthy. Anyway, I want to change my phone, and after two years with my LG Optimus 7 I'm thinking about leaving Windows Phone and getting an Android smartphone. Currently I'm thinking about a LG Optimus L7 II, seeing how I already had 3 LG phones in my life I'm pretty familiar with the brand and everything. The battery life seems to be pretty good (2460mAh) and the 4.3" display is a nice upgrade from the 3.8" of the Optimus 7.

My ideal price would be around 300€, so the Galaxy S3/4 are pretty much out of my reach. I've been looking at the Galaxy Nexus but I'm not sure if I'd want a phone without a MicroSD slot (not having it on WP7 was pretty bad), and the Nexus 4 price is too high in Italy (499€). So, what do you guys think about that LG phone? Does anybody has seen it/tried it/owns it? Any suggestions about other similar phones around that price?

Blackhead

Redarse
My ideal price would be around 300€, so the Galaxy S3/4 are pretty much out of my reach. I've been looking at the Galaxy Nexus but I'm not sure if I'd want a phone without a MicroSD slot (not having it on WP7 was pretty bad), and the Nexus 4 price is too high in Italy (499€). So, what do you guys think about that LG phone? Does anybody has seen it/tried it/owns it? Any suggestions about other similar phones around that price?
Are you only looking at new phone prices?

Blackhead

Redarse
Mostly, yes. I'd prefer to buy a new one.

Then I'd advise waiting a bit to save more money. It's best to buy a flagship as your first Andro phone. If you can't increase your budget then stick with Windows Phone. The new Lumias are better than their counterparts in the Android midrange.

I don't have experience with the LG phone you listed but LG doesn't have a good reputation around here. The LG Optimus L7 II doesn't run stock android and only has a 800x480 resolution on a 4.3". I personally would never buy it.

kinggroin

Banned
Some updates to the OP made (updated awesome device section and removed old links)

Ill probably draw a better banner, and add more updated links and images as well. Its mother's day, so it'll have to wait till next week.

Then I'd advise waiting a bit to save more money. It's best to buy a flagship as your first Andro phone. If you can't increase your budget then stick with Windows Phone. The new Lumias are better than their counterparts in the Android midrange.

I don't have experience with the LG phone you listed but LG doesn't have a good reputation around here. The LG Optimus L7 II doesn't run stock android and only has a 800x480 resolution on a 4.3". I personally would never buy it.

I see, thanks.

The thing is that I wanted to change what I look at everyday, WP is great and everything but it seems a bit stale to me, even with all the new stuff in WP8, and I had a little experience with Android and how it generally works (I had a Galaxy Tab until December, when I got an iPad 4), so I thought that having a mid-low tier device would've been a good start.

In the past hour I've been looking at the Xperia S: I know that the price listed on Sony's website is higher than what I'd be willing to spend (429€), but I've found it on some eshops for 300-330€ max. Any thoughts on this one?

Blackhead

Redarse
I see, thanks.

The thing is that I wanted to change what I look at everyday, WP is great and everything but it seems a bit stale to me, even with all the new stuff in WP8, and I had a little experience with Android and how it generally works (I had a Galaxy Tab until December, when I got an iPad 4), so I thought that having a mid-low tier device would've been a good start.

In the past hour I've been looking at the Xperia S: I know that the price listed on Sony's website is higher than what I'd be willing to spend (429€), but I've found it on some eshops for 300-330€ max. Any thoughts on this one?

The Xperia S was Sony's flagship in Spring last year. It's a decent phone but had specs from 2011 and was quickly outclassed by the HTC One X and the Galaxy S3. Sony has done a reasonable job providing updates but don't expect it to officially get Android 4.2, 4.3 or 5.0. If you insist on a new phone I guess it's not a bad choice for your budget, the 720p screen on the Xperia S can't be matched by any of the mid/low tier phones in that price range.

The Xperia S was Sony's flagship in Spring last year. It's a decent phone but had specs from 2011 and was quickly outclassed by the HTC One X and the Galaxy S3. Sony has done a reasonable job providing updates but don't expect it to officially get Android 4.2, 4.3 or 5.0. If you insist on a new phone I guess it's not a bad choice for your budget, the 720p screen on the Xperia S can't be matched by any of the mid/low tier phones in that price range.

That's my main concern. I mean, after the 4.1 update I won't see other major updates, so the phone would "feel" old after a short period. I'll see in the next few weeks what to do, my current phone still works fine and I don't have to find a replacement in, say, a week.

Thanks, by the way! :)

Blackhead

Redarse
That's my main concern. I mean, after the 4.1 update I won't see other major updates, so the phone would "feel" old after a short period. I'll see in the next few weeks what to do, my current phone still works fine and I don't have to find a replacement in, say, a week.

Thanks, by the way! :)

The Galaxy Nexus is already on 4.2, and will probably be updated up to 5.x, but the processor is already showing its age.
There's the Galaxy S4 Mini (and the HTC One Mini?) coming in the next few weeks which will have the latest Android version and will get at least one more update. Doesn't have a 720p screen though.

These options all require tradeoffs and it's hard to pick the one that fits your needs if you aren't familiar with Android. Best of luck

The Galaxy Nexus is already on 4.2, and will probably be updated up to 5.x, but the processor is already showing its age.
There's the Galaxy S4 Mini (and the HTC One Mini?) coming in the next few weeks which will have the latest Android version and will get at least one more update. Doesn't have a 720p screen though.

These options all require tradeoffs and it's hard to pick the one that fits your needs if you aren't familiar with Android. Best of luck

My needs are pretty much an upgrade on everything that I have now: bigger screen than a 3.8" with an appropriate resolution, better camera than a 5MP one, more customization than a WP 7.8, a micro SD slot would be very appreciated and that's pretty much it. All of that for 300 bucks. The Galaxy Nexus is another interesting phone, but the camera isn't much better than the one I have now and there's no micro SD slot (16GB should be enough, though). On eBay is sold starting at around 250 euros, so it would be in my price range.

I guess I'm somehow familiar with Android, as I said I had a Galaxy Tab for two years before getting an iPad, but of course it wasn't running Android 4.0 or 4.1 (it was 2.3.2 iirc).

I think that as of now I've narrowed my choice to either the Xperia S or the Galaxy Nexus. If I can't find anything that fully convinces me I'll get a Lumia (either the 720 or the 820).

According to benchmarks xfon looks basically like a slightly stronger Nexus 4 that will be running something close to stock, so there's that.

Or do the TRUE G THANG and wait for the nexus 5. XFON will probably be pretty cheap on the play store I would imagine if the rumors are true. If it's even sold there.

Nexus 4 or wait for the XPhone.
499€ in Italy, too much difference from my budget.
According to benchmarks xfon looks basically like a slightly stronger Nexus 4 that will be running something close to stock, so there's that.

Or do the TRUE G THANG and wait for the nexus 5. XFON will probably be pretty cheap on the play store I would imagine if the rumors are true. If it's even sold there.
I can also do that and see how the Nexus 5 is going to be, then decide.

Either way, the prices of those 4 phones I listed before can only get lower (as well as the Nexus 4 price), so if I really want to change my phone as soon as possible I'll go with one of them.

reKon

Banned
0.jpg

If neither the XFON nor the Nexus 5 are available and usable on Verizon Wireless this fall, I'll be waiting for my contract to expire in February and moving elsewhere.

I'm totally going to end up waiting for my contract to expire, aren't I?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If neither the XFON nor the Nexus 5 are available and usable on Verizon Wireless this fall, I'll be waiting for my contract to expire in February and moving elsewhere.

I'm totally going to end up waiting for my contract to expire, aren't I?

To be fair with the track record of Verizon and Moto I would be surprised if they don't get something new this year from Moto. I'm thinking 2013 versikn of the Razr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom