• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason why the uploaded picture quality on Instagram is so bad for Android? While selecting the pictures they look perfect but once they're uploaded they become low-res and pixelated.

I never had this problem on my iPhone 4S. As a matter of fact I sent a picture to my 4S taken on my HTC One then uploaded it from both phones to test it. The iPhone one was fine super high-res but the HTC One was once again pixelated and reduced in quality.

It's one of my most used apps and I've stopped uploading pictures because of this issue. It makes it seem as if I'm using a flip phone to take these pics.

Doopliss

Is there a reason why the uploaded picture quality on Instagram is so bad for Android? While selecting the pictures they look perfect but once they're uploaded they become low-res and pixelated.

I never had this problem on my iPhone 4S. As a matter of fact I sent a picture to my 4S taken on my HTC One then uploaded it from both phones to test it. The iPhone one was fine super high-res but the HTC One was once again pixelated and reduced in quality.

It's one of my most used apps and I've stopped uploading pictures because of this issue. It makes it seem as if I'm using a flip phone to take these pics.
It's because you have yet to leave them a one star review on Google Play calling them out on it.

buhdeh

Lol I still don't understand why the camera button on the android version of instagram is so god damn ugly. Is it that hard to use the exact same button as the iPhone version?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

AU7Amsc.gif

Stuff my I/O goody bag, Google!

jokkir

Asked this in the Nexus 4 thread as well:

How much screen on time are you getting usually with your Nexus 4 and are you using any battery saving apps? I might get a Nexus 4 soon but the non-removable battery is really driving me away from it.

Also, how is your daily usage like? Music, internet, etc

Hieberrr

What the hell is happening to my Google Talk offline messages?!

It started a few days ago. Every time I receive a message, I receive a new email for each line and then a duplicate of that same message a second after. What the fuck?!

Quasar

Asked this in the Nexus 4 thread as well:

How much screen on time are you getting usually with your Nexus 4 and are you using any battery saving apps? I might get a Nexus 4 soon but the non-removable battery is really driving me away from it.

Also, how is your daily usage like? Music, internet, etc

Well..checking today. My battery is at 25% after 7 hrs, which included 2 hours screen time, 65 minutes of Ingress time (that hammers gps among other things), about 40 minutes of streaming audio, a couple of short voice calls, 20 minutes of web browsing, plus short access to a bunch of small apps.

Before I started playing ingress I was getting 15 hours or so on a charge.

Groof

Record HDR video underwater with the new Sony Xperia ZR
Coupled with the superior resistance to water (compliant with IP55 and IP58 standards), the camera button makes the Xperia ZR an ideal camera phone for the outdoorsy. The ZR will withstand being submerged in 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes (for your reference, the Xperia Z can be submerged into 1 meter of water for the same time). Just like the Z, the ZR features plastic flaps that cover the ports and Sony touted the anti-shatter film on the display that should enable it to resist mechanical shocks better than other phones.

Sony going all out with the water resistance deal. Mid range phone that can take photos under water.

Nicktendo86

Nexus 4 revision, likely with LTE. Very, very unlikely a new Nexus.

I would take that, contract ends in August and I cannot wait until the N5 in November, my poor old galaxy nexus is on it's last legs. I would take a revised N4 with a bigger battery any day.

Edit: would not get it in white, sorry guys but I think white phones look girly.

It's so obvious it's an LTE nexus 4 that will also come in white. Already leaked.

The real question is if there will be a Verizon version of it as rumored. Google has shown in the past they like playing ball with Verizon because Money Good(tm), so if the Xoom and Gnex are any indication we might see a Verizon N4 with The Nation's Largest And Most Expensive 4G LTE Network(tm).

Verizon

Blackhead

Redarse
The real question is if there will be a Verizon version of it as rumored. Google has shown in the past they like playing ball with Verizon because Money Good(tm), so if the Xoom and Gnex are any indication we might see a Verizon N4 with The Nation's Largest And Most Expensive 4G LTE Network(tm).

Verizon

Lol, that's certainly one way to look at it. Another way to interprete what happened is that Google is not playing ball with Verizon because they like money (the Xoom and Gnex were poor sellers) but because Verizon is the biggest carrier in North America and Google felt it fair to offer their developers a CDMA option. However, if the release and update issues with the Xoom and Gnex are any indication, we'll never a Verizon N4.

Fuck Verizon.

Lol, that's certainly one way to look at it. Another way to interprete what happened is that Google is not playing ball with Verizon because they like money (the Xoom and Gnex were poor sellers) but because Verizon is the biggest carrier in North America and Google felt it fair to offer their developers a CDMA option. However, if the release and update issues with the Xoom and Gnex are any indication, we'll never a Verizon N4.

Fuck Verizon.

Uh huh. This completely ignores the fact that nobody has done more for Android's cause in the US than Verizon has. The launch of the original Motorola Droid and Verizon's huge advertising campaign basically launched Android in North America. Granted, Verizon was only doing it because at the time the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T and they needed something to counter that, but it doesn't change history and Verizon's crucial role in Android's early success. Verizon's motive was greed, but the outcome was the first beachhead against Apple and the iPhone in the US. The downfall of the Walled Garden started with Verizon and the Motorola Droid.

The Xoom was the first attempt at a real Android tablet and Verizon tried to launch it the way they did with the Droid. However Android 3.0 Honeycomb was quite obviously nowhere near ready for use and that was entirely on Google, you can't blame Verizon for Honeycomb being shitty. The Xoom bombed because Honeycomb sucked, period.

The Gnex was always a niche device, no one expected it to sell Galaxy numbers. It still managed to sell somewhere around 1 million US devices over it's lifetime even though it was exclusive to Verizon in the US. The reality is that in the US, if you want to sell even relatively small numbers of devices, you need to be available from carriers. Google knows this, everyone knows this. So it's better to be on Verizon and sell a million than be only available unlocked for full price from Google's website and sell vanishingly few to none in the US. I've never even seen someone with an N4 in the real world here in the US, but I have seen people with Windows Phones. And I've seen Gnex's too besides my own.

Verizon

Blackhead

Redarse
New Android Boss Finally [settles the android phone wars]

Wired said:
Here’s my Samsung Galaxy S4. [Pichai holds up the phone.]

How’s that eye-tracking thing working out?
I actually never used it.

Uh huh. This completely ignores the fact that nobody has done more for Android's cause in the US than Verizon has. The launch of the original Motorola Droid and Verizon's huge advertising campaign basically launched Android in North America. Granted, Verizon was only doing it because at the time the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T and they needed something to counter that, but it doesn't change history and Verizon's crucial role in Android's early success. Verizon's motive was greed, but the outcome was the first beachhead against Apple and the iPhone in the US. The downfall of the Walled Garden started with Verizon and the Motorola Droid.

The Xoom was the first attempt at a real Android tablet and Verizon tried to launch it the way they did with the Droid. However Android 3.0 Honeycomb was quite obviously nowhere near ready for use and that was entirely on Google, you can't blame Verizon for Honeycomb being shitty. The Xoom bombed because Honeycomb sucked, period.

The Gnex was always a niche device, no one expected it to sell Galaxy numbers. It still managed to sell somewhere around 1 million US devices over it's lifetime even though it was exclusive to Verizon in the US. The reality is that in the US, if you want to sell even relatively small numbers of devices, you need to be available from carriers. Google knows this, everyone knows this. So it's better to be on Verizon and sell a million than be only available unlocked for full price from Google's website and sell vanishingly few to none in the US. I've never even seen someone with an N4 in the real world here in the US, but I have seen people with Windows Phones. And I've seen Gnex's too besides my own.

Verizon
Lol, what reality do you live in?

Verizon did a lot for the explosion of Android but the Droid was the reintroduction of the walled garden to Google's mobile OS. The Nexus line has kept the walled garden at bay but Verizon's restrictions on their Galaxy Nexus was a step back in that regard. The GNex wasn't exclusive to Verizon — Google also released one with Sprint and sold GSM versions via the Play store. And the sales of the Verzion GNex pale in comparison to the Nexus 4; Google publicly admitted that the low sales of the Verizon GNex left them unprepared for the huge demand shown for the Nex4.

Fuck Verizon.

The app is also being totally destroyed in reviews. I just knew no one would want to keep that installed on their phone past the experimental stages. It's well designed and all but most people won't want to look at that shit all the time.

Pctx

Banned
The app is also being totally destroyed in reviews. I just knew no one would want to keep that installed on their phone past the experimental stages. It's well designed and all but most people won't want to look at that shit all the time.

Facebook is trying to move past a social media platform and move into territory that Google glass is entering. No one wants an app for that.

Groof

I guess they got blinded by the numbers their mobile apps are attaining, thinking that means everyone uses Facebook on the go and want more out of the (shitty) experience. Too bad they didn't realise people don't want their friend's ugly mugs on their phones all the fuckin time

AndyD

aka andydumi
I guess they got blinded by the numbers their mobile apps are attaining, thinking that means everyone uses Facebook on the go and want more out of the (shitty) experience. Too bad they didn't realise people don't want their friend's ugly mugs on their phones all the fuckin time

I dont think they realized that 95% of pictures on Facebook are terrible, and unlike the ads which romanticize the experience, that is not the real life result.

daoster

I NEED Nexus 4 to be released on Verizon. I like my unlimited data, and I don't feel like spending 600 for a phone just to keep it right now.

:(

But...yeah, not holding high hopes for one.

I'm a Verizon customer in NYC debating switching to T-Mobile. Do we have any T-Mobilers here?

Because of me not wanting to spend $600 up front for a phone to keep my unlimited data, I too would like to be interested to know how T-mobile customers like their service.

SimleuqiR

don't know if it's true but man that facebook home thing is a total flop. Wonder why they thought anyone wanted that.

This is the main reason why, and its not so much they think people want "Home":

Mobile Messaging Apps: A Primer

Little by little, these mobile messaging apps are eating away at the mindshare of grand web-based social networks, even as they recreate their own social content platforms online to extend and bolster their mobile offerings. Facebook was slow to recognise the threat but has since countered with its own Messenger app, and additional offerings like SnapChat-rival Poke. How seriously Facebook is taking the mobile messaging app threat now is evident in its most recent mobile effort: Facebook Home – an Android launcher that seeks to elbow its way past rival apps by foregrounding Facebook’s own chat channel atop other apps.

Many people get to a point that they are fatigued with social media, so they revert back to a much simpler (micro) way of keeping in touch. I pretty much communicate with family members through Whatsapp (pictures, videos, sound bites, etc). It's another reason why Google is trying to unify their messaging platforms.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
you're welcome everybody

"What can we expect from I/O this year?
It’s going to be different. It’s not a time when we have much in the way of launches of new products or a new operating system."

Again, I just want Hangouts. So I've kept my expectations in check. This IO won't be all that exciting.

Groof

I've been hyped for anything software tbh, the Nexus 7 rehash would be a welcome addition but I'd rather have some sweet ass software updates and new apps to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom