• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

don't know if it's true but man that facebook home thing is a total flop. Wonder why they thought anyone wanted that.

people want a better app... not a takeover of their phone

"What can we expect from I/O this year?
It’s going to be different. It’s not a time when we have much in the way of launches of new products or a new operating system."

Again, I just want Hangouts. So I've kept my expectations in check. This IO won't be all that exciting.

hangouts, chrome improvement and some type of native coding for games and apps that need it. Not sure how they can manage that, but if they want to compete on some of the games and niche audio type apps they need to remove the abstraction layer

Fatalah

I NEED Nexus 4 to be released on Verizon. I like my unlimited data, and I don't feel like spending 600 for a phone just to keep it right now.

I know Verizon's LTE coverage is fantastic, but I'm hoping T-Mobile's HSPA+ or new LTE at least covers my area.

"What can we expect from I/O this year?
It’s going to be different. It’s not a time when we have much in the way of launches of new products or a new operating system."

Again, I just want Hangouts. So I've kept my expectations in check. This IO won't be all that exciting.
I've alreayd accepted possible disappointment but I agree, one thing I want is Hangouts to not just be revealed by released on ALL platforms. I mean the iOS app, the chrome app, the android app, etc....

If it doesn't launch on everything it's kind of useless to me.

edit: WEEEEEEEEeeEeee

TNmxWl1.png

Google final ponying up more free storage.

Husker86

I've alreayd accepted possible disappointment but I agree, one thing I want is Hangouts to not just be revealed by released on ALL platforms. I mean the iOS app, the chrome app, the android app, etc....

http://i.imgur.com/TNmxWl1.png[/img

Google final ponying up more free storage.[/QUOTE]

Looks like they just merged Gmail and Drive storage.

Right now I have 10.1GB total for Gmail and 5GB for Drive. I would much rather have that merged though!

edit: Ok so apparently this is new news, merging is exactly what they did. Can't wait for it to go into effect!

SimleuqiR

http://i.imgur.com/TNmxWl1.png

Time to actually use Google Drive for more than app backups and instant upload.

The merging of Drive and Gmail space makes total sense and lines up with Google allowing Android developers use your Drive space to save app data (game saves, status, profiles, etc).

The future looks really bright for those of you that change ROMs often.

gcubed

The merging of Drive and Gmail space makes total sense and lines up with Google allowing Android developers use your Drive space to save app data (game saves, status, profiles, etc).

The future looks really bright for those of you that change ROMs often.

now allow "file" access to g+ photos/picasa in drive

http://i.imgur.com/TNmxWl1.png

what a scam

i have 10GB in Gmail, 5GB in Drive and 5GB in Picasa... soooo that would be losing 5GB!

AndyD

aka andydumi

Hmm, the 25GB pauid version is going away. I wonder if they will bump everyone to 100 for the remainder of their paid period.

Eric Schmidt admits that the whole "Don't be evil" rule by google was the dumbest shit ever:

“When I showed up, I thought this idea was the stupidest rule ever, because there’s no book about evil except, maybe, you know, the Bible or something.”

after the whole internet has already called them on the BS, at least he admits it too.

jayb

It sounds to me like he thinks there is still some value in letting employees feel at ease to call out something as unethical (or evil). So it's not completely stupid, the slogan just sounds funny.

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/11/182873683/google-chairman-eric-schmidt-plays-not-my-job

SAGAL: Well, let me ask you another question which is Google's slogan is famously, don't be evil, right? How did you guys come up with that?

SCHMIDT: Well, it was invented by Larry and Sergey. And the idea was that we don't quite know what evil is, but if we have a rule that says don't be evil, then employees can say, I think that's evil. Now, when I showed up, I thought this was the stupidest rule ever, because there's no book about evil except maybe, you know, the Bible or something.

So what happens is, I'm sitting in this meeting, and we're having this debate about an advertising product. And one of the engineers pounds his fists on the table and says, that's evil. And then the whole conversation stops, everyone goes into conniptions, and eventually we stopped the project. So it did work.

gcubed

That will be merged in as well according to the Italian blog. So Gmail, G+ and Drive will all be in one big space.

will you be able to actually view your pictures from drive? The space is merged, but i want to be able to browse to the pictures as files instead of only in a gallery

SimleuqiR

will you be able to actually view your pictures from drive? The space is merged, but i want to be able to browse to the pictures as files instead of only in a gallery

I sure hope there is a "Photos" folder in drive, with sub folders as per your Google+ account. That would be killer.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I imagine that's what they mean since they also mention that you will share your Drive pictures to Google+ and email them from Drive, rather than sharing from G+ where they live now.

I also really want Gmail attachment save to Drive options.

I think what both you and I want is Drive to act like a hard drive with everything in it, all files. Then Google+, Gmail, and "Docs" can access that same drive and present files in various ways. +/Picasa can show pictures the way it wants, Docs can process and deal with the documents, and Gmail can show the attachments and who sent them.

XFON maybe doesn't suck?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...wo-graphics-tests-on-a-benchmark-site_id42967

The first test, GFXBench 2.7 T-Rex HD C24Z16, resulted in a score of 1485 frames (26.5fps) for the Motorola XT1058 that topped the 853 (15.2fps) scored by the HTC One and the 704 score (12.6fps) achieved by the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S4. A second test, GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16, produced a score of 6078 (53.8fps) for the Motorola XT1058. The HTC One produced a score of 4133 (36.6fps) while the Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-i9500) tallied 4572 (40.5fps).
While these scores show outstanding graphics capabilities for the Motorola XT1058, benchmark scores can be faked. There is some speculation though, that a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor lies inside the device. Previous benchmark tests show the phone carrying a 720p resolution screen and powered by Android 4.2.2.

Matugi

I just hope the XFON comes to verizon and with stock android because i really really really need to upgrade from this droid 3

So now that the xfon sucks and key lime pie is delayed. Is there a chance they show KLP when they announce the Nexus 5 later this year or are they going to wait until google i/o next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom