• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Could have become the de facto messaging app on all platforms had they done this before.

Considering how terrible both their hardware and OS were before how many of their customers would have jumped ship immediately.

Edit: Why are peeps still giving it to pctx? Let him be and did I miss something or when was there a new Moto phone announced?

You can even go back and re-read my posts to verify that. I literally saw two versions of the phone so don't fucking hold me over the fire for shit I had no control over.

You-Salty-1.gif

Nicktendo86

Edit: Why are peeps still giving it to pctx? Let him be and did I miss something or when was there a new Moto phone announced?
Come on now, pctx has kinda asked for it. He has gone on and on about the xphone and it has blown up in his face. All I've seen is just banter, I always took what he said with a pinch of salt and I've found te whole xphone thing fun while there has been a scarce amount of android news. I still love ya pctx!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
N5 is gonna kick the XFON in the face. I mean, not even gonna be a contest.

That said even buying a $300 N4 in the meantime is still a good deal depending on your plan.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bs trolling... The phone is real, even tho the specs turned out to be less than desired. I'm sorry I let you down and I'm sorry you feel that way.

What do you mean the phone is real? No one questioned whether the phone was real. We questioned your hype. Additionally, you didn't let me down. I own a Nexus 4 and bought it asap.

God dammit you people.... I will release a mock up that is closer to the final design... Everything I've seen thus far is shit compared to the real deal.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :) :) FYI, from what I'm being told is that this phone is being called the "neXt" "phone in the long line of "NeXus" products hence the leaked slide which I've already seen. I'll start dropping more hints here shortly. ;)

Also, I can confirm that Google's refresh of the 7 will feature the same chipset as the X phone.

And my favorite
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47059663&postcount=7469

This is after a two second search. I'm sure there's more out there but come on. Just own up to it. There's a chance you could still be right...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
N4 is still the greatest. Baffles me why anyone would buy any other phone. That is, if you can buy it for $350.

LTE is a luxury, camera OK, non-stock $500+

I don't know why people hate the N4 so much.
it's a solid phone at a great price, no one can deny that. But it's not as good as it could have been. The glass thing is disappointing, the camera is still average, no LTE, battery life could be a lot better, and whatever else. Google didn't improve a lot on the things they needed to improve on.

I thought it was still slated for Q3 but if comes out sooner, great.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/qualcomm-snapdragon-800-mass-production-late-may/

Talon

it's a solid phone at a great price, no one can deny that. But it's not as good as it could have been. The glass thing is disappointing, the camera is still average, no LTE, battery life could be a lot better, and whatever else. Google didn't improve a lot on the things they needed to improve on.
The Nexus program is never going to produce the premier, #1 must have flagship phone. The Nexus 4 costs $299-350 off contract. It's a solid, mid-high tier phone.

SUPREME1

Banned
LTE is a luxury, camera OK, non-stock $500+

I don't know why people hate the N4 so much.

LTE is a luxury? What does that even mean? Hell, smart phones themselves are a luxury. LTE is a legit spec advantage of one phone over the other. So is 13MP compared to 8MP.

On the flip side, stock Android is really nice. Wife has a Galaxy Nexus, I have a Nexus 10, and my niece has a Nexus 4 (which I recommended she get). So I'm very familiar with it. But LGOG runs 4.1.2 and is pretty minimal with it's skin. So it's really similar already.

As far as hating the Nexus 4, I recommended it to my niece when it was time for her to upgrade. No hating here. The N4 is based off the LGOG. They're only slightly different.

The Nexus program is never going to produce the premier, #1 must have flagship phone. The Nexus 4 costs $299-350 off contract. It's a solid, mid-high tier phone.
doesn't mean it can't do better at some of the things I mentioned. It can and there's zero doubt in my mind it will cover some of it with the nexus 5. If other manufacturers wanted to sell their phones for close to break-even prices or a small profit, pricing wouldn't be too far off. A lot more can be done at that price point. All depends on how much money google wants to make from the nexus devices.

Volume production of the SoC starts end of may. No idea how quick that turns around to shipping actual smartphone product.
october is absolutely nowhere near unreasonable though. I'll be utterly blown away if the Nexus 5 isn't packing one. And that alone is a SIGNIFICANT jump on a variety of levels of performance.

Blackhead

Redarse
Does Android even need this?

Fuck Yes.

(take a quick aside and read this article to get a view of the Android poweruser scene from an iPhone user's perspective — Forget Android: the iPhone Is a Better Phone for Hacking, Tweaking, and Customization | Lifehacker)

First off, Android doesn't have any theme manage for stock Roms. So just substrate+Winterboard itself is huge news.
But now there's the potential that the best Android hackers will no longer have to put their work in custom roms but can instead create those features as substrate tweaks apks that can be distributed via the Play Store to any rooted device. Imagine those Paranoid Android ROM features as an Apk in the Play store instead. Forget Google I/O this is the most important megaton of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom