• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can easily afford to buy a nexus 4 right now but chose not to because I want LTE and better battery life is an absolute must for me.

Nexus 5 should be better in those regards if google keeps their word so I'll likely be down for that. Nexus 4 is solid but it didn't fit my needs, despite stock android and quick updates. There are some things I'm willing to concede on a phone, since it's obvious nobody is perfect, but for me battery is not one of them considering my heavy commute.

Fuck Yes.

(take a quick aside and read this article to get a view of the Android poweruser scene from an iPhone user's perspective — Forget Android: the iPhone Is a Better Phone for Hacking, Tweaking, and Customization | Lifehacker)

First off, Android doesn't have any theme manage for stock Roms. So just substrate+Winterboard itself is huge news.
But now there's the potential that the best Android hackers will no longer have to put their work in custom roms but can instead create those features as substrate tweaks apks that can be distributed via the Play Store to any rooted device. Imagine those Paranoid Android ROM features as an Apk in the Play store instead. Forget Google I/O this is the most important megaton of the week.

where i stopped reading that garbage clickbait and closed the tab:

Unfortunately, rooting is about as big of a headache as

yeah, because waiting months for a jailbreak is so convenient!

Blackhead

Redarse
where i stopped reading that garbage clickbait and closed the tab:

yeah, because waiting months for a jailbreak is so convenient!

That quote in context:
Unfortunately, rooting is about as big of a headache as breaking into a bank vault with a safety pin. You have over 100 different Android phones out there, each with its own rooting method, caveats, and risks that you have to research. It's so annoying that we had to turn our rooting guide into a guide for only the top 10 phones, in addition to tacking on an exhaustive glossary of all the crap you have to know before starting the process. Our jailbreak guide, on the other hand, is three steps long, which include "plug in your phone" and "click this button". It doesn't get much easier than that.
Yes, he's overstating the headaches of rooting but he does have a point.

bXps5FS.png

[URL="http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/14/download-latest-google-play-store-4-1-6/]Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.1.6 - Sweet New Designs And OCD Fixes[/URL]

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I can easily afford to buy a nexus 4 right now but chose not to because I want LTE and better battery life is an absolute must for me.

Nexus 5 should be better in those regards if google keeps their word so I'll likely be down for that. Nexus 4 is solid but it didn't fit my needs, despite stock android and quick updates. There are some things I'm willing to concede on a phone, since it's obvious nobody is perfect, but for me battery is not one of them considering my heavy commute.

If there is a battery upgrade for the N4 I'll be royally pissed as I finally have one that works (fingers crossed).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
lol funny rumour, not sure what to make of it. Galaxy S4 Google Edition with stock android incoming? If true, best Nexus ever?

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/05/sams...google-edition-galaxy-s-4-with-stock-android/

Normally I wouldn't believe it but just because it's T-Mobile I'll consider it possible. Especially since they're trying to look like the carrier that isn't like the rest. The one that would allow such a thing.

I thought Samsung was done with making 'stock' devices. And what about the LTE Nexus 4? and the Rumors of a LG Nexus 5? and the X-MEN PHONE?

Rumor seems weak, tbh

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Googles gunna hit 900 tomorrow?

Tech stocks tend to down during conferences when fantasy inevitably meets reality. Though they have gone up in rare occasions before.

lol funny rumour, not sure what to make of it. Galaxy S4 Google Edition with stock android incoming? If true, best Nexus ever?

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/05/sams...google-edition-galaxy-s-4-with-stock-android/

Normally I wouldn't believe it but just because it's T-Mobile I'll consider it possible. Especially since they're trying to look like the carrier that isn't like the rest. The one that would allow such a thing.

This is the least believable news I've read today

Obviously the rumour is 99% bullshit, I'm just saying that it's not 100% bullshit to me only because it seems like something Tmobile might push for.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

That AMOLED display automatically makes it the worst phone out. God the color saturation and black smearing are awful.

jayb

The only thing that makes me think this is a real possibility is that Sundar Pichair was carrying an S4.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That AMOLED display automatically makes it the worst phone out. God the color saturation and black smearing are awful.

That's less the AMOLED and more Samsung making everything super saturated so it'll stand out in a show room. You can change it to more accurate colour settings.

Pctx

Banned

And people thought I was full of shit.... Hhahahahahah

that's just phase one.

phase two is them adding Holo-skinned TouchWiz features to CyanogenMod and shipping it on the Galaxy S5

that's why Steve Kondik left Samsung, to start the groundwork full time for CM11.

If you read the DisplayMate article and not the GSMArena summary, movie modes' gamut is still too large. Which is really the problem in the first place. Movie mode mostly restricts greens and does little about the reds and blues so you get more purplish reds and blues.

It's more accurate in that the whites are really close to 6500k. But that was never a problem with OLED displays.

Pctx

Banned
FYI, if I get banned its not because of the XFON its because I'm on a wild and crazy ride in the political threads.

How many hours now?

More accurate is funny because its still really inaccurate so you might as well go for over saturation so you've get something worthwhile from the OLED tech besides good blacks.

Again the problem had always been the gamut. He gamut is still way too large even in movie mode.

Heck, are Android apps even colour aware to take advantage of the professional adobe rgb mode?

More accurate is funny because its still really inaccurate so you might as well go for over saturation so you've get something worthwhile from the OLED tech besides good blacks.

Again the problem had always been the gamut. He gamut is still way too large even in movie mode.

Heck, are Android apps even colour aware to take advantage of the professional adobe rgb mode?

LCD ...problem solved.

Plus no burn in problems after 2 years....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom