• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
This conference is pretty boring so far. I wish they did it similar to apple. Consumer stuff first, or at least the stuff they'd be interested in all upfront, then the press leaves and the developers stay or whatever, and then continue all that other stuff for as long as you want. Rather than everything integrated into one long ass thing.

I'm tuning out too much.

Talon

This conference is pretty boring so far. I wish they did it similar to apple. Consumer stuff first, or at least the stuff they'd be interested in all upfront, then the press leaves and the developers stay or whatever, and then continue all that other stuff for as long as you want.

I'm tuning out too much.
Is WWDC like that? I feel like they usually announce products, then do developer for the middle 50%, then close out the last quarter with one or two announcements.

Is WWDC like that? I feel like they usually announce products, then do developer for the middle 50%, then close out the last quarter with one or two announcements.
can't remember but WWDC is definitely more organized than this in terms of delivery of the info

Anyway yay for Hangouts, can finally talk to my brother in a much easier way.

Looks like we're officially going to have to wait for the Nexus 5 event for the next meaningful OS update with 5.0. Doesn't look like 4.3 is much of a thing...? Or at least not a thing worth talking about from Google. So I expect it's minor.

Maybe they'll announce 4.3 at a separate keynote? Or it's not being announced at I/O at all.
if it were worth noting they'd definitely talk about it at this conference. Maybe they're pulling an Apple and they want to officially change the release schedule to announcement/release schedule to later in the year. So now OS will only be talked about in October.

Or something.

Groof

if it were worth noting they'd definitely talk about it at this conference. Maybe they're pulling an Apple and they want to officially change the release schedule to announcement/release schedule to later in the year. So now OS will only be talked about in October.

Or something.

Yeah sure, but I was thinking if it's actually 4.3 and not 5.0 maybe they won't bother making a proper public announcement at I/O and just release it and then only announce major releases.

Either way. 5.0 + nexus 5 in october seems like the more important thing. Let the next countdown begin.

Also why can't I send pics in Hangouts. Where is the option?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Maybe Google is changing it's software strategy so that the new Android OS ships out first with its new Nexus flagship?

Groof

So Hangouts connects to your phone number and brings up all your phone contacts, but when trying to send one of those a message it brings up a prompt that tells you they're not on Hangouts yet and if you want to tell them about it in an SMS...
:(

Maybe they'll announce 4.3 at a separate keynote? Or it's not being announced at I/O at all.

Nah, giving Sony and HTC a chance to catch up. My bet is that neither will catch up and all their phones will be stuck on old versions of Android when 4.3/5.0 is announced.

Nah, giving Sony and HTC a chance to catch up. My bet is that neither will catch up and all their phones will be stuck on old versions of Android when 4.3/5.0 is announced.
pretty much, 5.0 is probably significant too so they won't get that for aeons I imagine. Luckily...nexus 5 will exist.

Fatalah

google-galaxy-s-iv.jpg

Matias!

I don't get it. Does only that specific S4 support stock android or will be possible for S4 owners to easily install stock android if they want it once they unlock their stuff and flash it. Because it's obviously a version of android that is fully compatible with the device...so can't anyone with that device get that version once it's dumped and all that.

Fatalah

I would gladly switch to Hangouts, but it doesn't display the availability status of my contacts.

On another note, my SMS texts are coming through the app.

daoster

uggh...the S4 is not Verizon compatible...I'm hoping then, later this year, when the Nexus 5 comes out...it'll carry that Qualcomm RF360 chip that can handle any and all frequencies and shit.

I don't get it. Does only that specific S4 support stock android or will be possible for S4 owners to easily install stock android if they want it once they unlock their stuff and flash it. Because it's obviously a version of android that is fully compatible with the device...so can't anyone with that device get that version once it's dumped and all that.

Should be easily be converted. No OTA update though...but no big deal at all cause you can just keep flashing the latest built ROM.

Remember only unit with bootloader lock can get OTA. Once you unlock the bootloader it will be flash city ...

Should be easily be converted. No OTA update though...but no big deal at all cause you can just keep flashing the latest built ROM.

Remember only unit with bootloader lock can get OTA. Once you unlock the bootloader it will be flash city ...
yeah so this is great.

Once HTC releases theirs as well as rumored I can have stock android on my phone with no issues/bugs/etc...everything functioning.

yeah so this is great.

Once HTC releases theirs as well as rumored I can have stock android on my phone with no issues/bugs/etc...everything functioning.

Yes..by I still stand by stock android is overrrated.

Theres functions of sense and touchwiz that are better than stock...like the camera and such..

Edit: stock bootloader lock OTA android is overrated.....but stock AOSP base android with tweaks is excellent.

Yes..by I still stand by stock android is overrrated.

Theres functions of sense and touchwiz that are better than stock...like the camera and such..
that's true, I'm in no rush for it. But when 5.0 comes out it might be a different story, that's assuming the nexus 5 sucks and I skip on that. Might need 5.0 on my current phone ASAP. So it's a good option to have.

Definitely nothing I'm scrambling for for at least a couple months, and even then it's a maybe.

pretty much, 5.0 is probably significant too so they won't get that for aeons I imagine. Luckily...nexus 5 will exist.

I think on the Sony side of the fence, the T/TX/V/SP and Z/ZL/ZR will get 4.2 before the end of July, but then I figure only the quad core phones will get the one after that.

Finally got it to work :D

You mean the Gmail one or the PC desktop program.
the chrome extension. It's the right thing I'm sure as it's Hangouts with the new icon and all. But it's still the old chatting interface from the past. Looks ugly and can't share pics or anything. Reviews are mentioning it too.

Disappointed about the lack of the New Nexus 7, there must be something coming soon, them Tegra 3's aint gonna be made forever!

Maybe they are waiting for the current inventory to dry up before they announce anything.

Do you guys believe what I told you now about the nexus 7 having an S800 in it? Became even more likely because it's likely coming later.

I think they might hold all hardware refreshes in one event in october.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom