• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft tells German court it will amend Motorola lawsuit to hold Google Inc. liable

Previous German patent rulings in Apple's and Microsoft's favor have already required Google (Motorola) to pull all of its Android-based devices, without any exception, from the German market. The only device that Motorola is currently offering in Germany (as opposed to merely announcing future releases) is the non-Android-based Motorola Gleam, a low-cost basic feature phone.

This latest German lawsuit, which was filed in April 2012 targets Android's Google Maps app. At today's three-hour hearing, Motorola Mobility doggedly denied Microsoft's infringement contentions without specifying how Google's server infrastructure operates. Toward the end of the court session,Microsoft's lead counsel, Dr. Tilman Mueller-Stoy ("Müller-Stoy" in German) of the Bardehle Pagenberg firm, the leading German IP firm that has won more injunctions (five) against Android than any other law firm in the world, made a very significant announcement in open court: Microsoft will amend this complaint in order to add Google Inc., Motorola Mobility's parent company and operator of the server infrastructure that powers the Google Maps Android app, as an additional defendant.

Microsoft's German lawyers want to know now whether Dr. Marcus Grosch of Quinn Emanuel, Motorola Mobility's German lead counsel, will accept the forthcoming amendment on behalf of Google Inc. or whether Microsoft will be required to serve the complaint on Google in the United States, which would cause a delay in the German proceeding. If Quinn Emanuel's German office accepts the complaint on Google's behalf, the trial will go forward on March 7, 2013. Dr. Grosch promised the court, without a formal obligation, to clarify this question within two weeks, and probably even sooner.

A direct Microsoft-Google patent infringement action is unprecedented, and it could affect Google Maps way beyond Motorola's gadgets due to the fact that German courts order general "obey the law" injunctions barring a defendant from any infringement of a given patent claim, but there's a simple procedural reason for this. In fact, Microsoft is left with no other rational choice. In Germany, there's no such thing as discovery. If you sue someone for patent infringement, you as the plaintiff bear the burden of proof. A defendant is not allowed to lie in a civil lawsuit (that would be a criminal act), but he doesn't have to put all the cards on the table.

Google has been subpoenaed as a third party in pretty much every Android lawsuit in the United States. In Germany, however, Microsoft would have to name particular persons as witnesses, and it probably doesn't even know which Google employees can testify to this -- even if it did, they would not show up here anytime soon. But by suing Google itself, Microsoft creates a situation in which Google will have to admit or explicitly deny Microsoft's infringement allegations concerning the inner workings of Google Maps.

Microsoft's decision to target Google Inc. directly as a co-defendant is also logical for another reason. At today's hearing, there was no Motorola Mobility employee, though there were Motorola in-house lawyers at almost all of the other German court hearings. Instead, the person representing Motorola (!) today was Karen Robinson, an in-house litigation counsel at Google Inc. from Mountain View, California. This shows how Google not only remote-controls but even micromanages Motorola's litigation, at least when one of Google's key online services is at issue.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/10/microsoft-tells-german-court-it-will.html

DXPett1

New Gmail incoming as well.

Google are going crazy with updates and additions.

I was just pumped for Australia to get magazines through the Play Store.

Bring on the Google Play gift cards!!

FINALLY on pinch-to-zoom. And my goodness, why didn't I think about swipe to delete? It makes perfect sense. Can't wait for this update.

Motoblur ICS has swipe to delete in their mail app. I use it all the time for corporate emails. I keep on trying to do it in my gmail since I'm so used to it. It will finally work now.

Cipherr

So other than really minor stuff, whats really left that will be a big "Oh its nice to finally have that!". I'm thinking unified messaging, I'm at a loss after that though. I would love for the Playstore to allow an Airdroid like function when accessed from a PC. But I'm sure thats a pipe dream.

Toki767

Unified messaging is probably the most glaring omission.

I do wish they incorporated TouchWiz's swipe right to call and swipe left to text feature for contacts in the Contacts app and call log in the Phone app.

Megaton... the newest version of the play store being pushed out lets you remove apps from your apps list

OMG FINALLY!!!!

Gonna need a day to delete all the shit...

So other than really minor stuff, whats really left that will be a big "Oh its nice to finally have that!". I'm thinking unified messaging, I'm at a loss after that though. I would love for the Playstore to allow an Airdroid like function when accessed from a PC. But I'm sure thats a pipe dream.
An easy way to transfer app/game data between devices would be like my no1 wish right now.

Cipherr

wait, thats not the notification screen? What the fuck google...

Did you just wake up? That's a white screen
lol.gif
its not even the same color as the notification shade.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Questionable source:

• LG Nexus
  • No LTE
  • GSM only
  • Google Play October 29th for $399

It’s about that time of year when Google refreshes its flagship device and the rumors swirling around the Internet have been pointing to an imminent launch. This week, we’ve seen leaked photos with an LG built device claiming to be the next “Nexus” phone and for the last few weeks, we’ve been hearing that this year, there will be not one, but five Google branded devices. If you’re unfamiliar, Google doesn’t ship out the hardware that runs its pure Android operating systems; they’ve always signed deals with a third party manufacturer. First, HTC, and the last two Nexus devices — Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus — have been built by Samsung.

According to a source (who wishes to remain anonymous) speaking exclusively with ByteNow, the next Nexus device to be announced will be LG-built, which corresponds with the latest leaked images, though our source wouldn’t confirm or deny if the leaked images are the real device.

The device will sport a quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU built on Krait architecture, 8GB of internal storage (which won’t be expandable), 2GB of RAM, and a sealed battery. You’ll be operating the phone on a 4.7-inch display that is “as beautiful, if not more beautiful, than the HTC One X’s display.” There has been speculation of a 16GB unit, but all prototypes that have been seen are 8GB units only.

While it’s possible that the LG Nexus device is built with a plastic shell, there is a “possibility” that the device’s rear will be enclosed with some sort of glass or extremely hardened plastic material.

We’re being told that the device has a 60% chance at being named “the Nexus 4″ and a 40% chance at being called the “LG Optimus Nexus.”

These specifications have been floating around the Internet for quite some time now, but what’s more interesting is this: The LG Nexus will be a Google Play launched device and it’s still unclear if there will be any carrier partnership to begin with. As of now, there will be NO LTE –presumably to keep costs low– version and all phones will be GSM-only, which means you’ll only be able to use them on AT&T and T-Mobile in the United States.

Our source also told us that they’ve been told that this Nexus device “will not land on Verizon Wireless,” and that Verizon Wireless “may never carry a Nexus device again” after the over-the-air-update debacle with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus this past year.

Our source tells us that it’s almost a certainty that the device launches on October 29th and will be available for purchase almost immediately for $399. Because the device is being sold through the Google Play Store and not a carrier, the device will be contract free.

We’re digging for more information, but this is all we’ve got at the moment. Should we hear anything, you’ll hear about it immediately!

http://bytenow.net/2012/10/11/lg-nexus-october-29th/

"Optimus Nexus" lawl

My carrier (wind) doesn't have LTE, so I don't care about that.

What I do care about is that they are actually putting out an 8GB in late 2012. Not even Apple is that dumb anymore.

tino

Banned
My carrier (wind) doesn't have LTE, so I don't care about that.

What I do care about is that they are actually putting out an 8GB in late 2012. Not even Apple is that dumb anymore.

Just get a Galaxy Nexus, you have way more custom rom support.

What is the worst Nexus device?
a) Nexus S
b) Nexus 4
c) Xoom

giga

The device will sport a quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU built on Krait architecture, 8GB of internal storage (which won’t be expandable), 2GB of RAM, and a sealed battery.
S4 Pro is sweet but 8GB…what.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Uhhh, no way there's no LTE on any model. I'm guessing that's true only for the model sold through the play store.

gcubed

why can't google do what apple and soon to be MS do and handle all of their own updating and tell the carriers to F off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom