• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who needs Nexus devices when you can get the world's most popular flagship smartphone with stock Android?

What's most interesting about this is that Samsung had to make drivers just for the stock Android build on the Galaxy S4 Stock Edition. That means the guys making custom ROMs will finally have access to a full set of updated drivers which makes their work much easier.

BIGWORM

My current look on my GS3. Everything on the screen is UCCW.

fJZ7IYT.jpg

Who needs Nexus devices when you can get the world's most popular flagship smartphone with stock Android?

What's most interesting about this is that Samsung had to make drivers just for the stock Android build on the Galaxy S4 Stock Edition. That means the guys making custom ROMs will finally have access to a full set of updated drivers which makes their work much easier.
650 dollars :/ plus tax....plus shipping. I'd be looking at like 750 if I ever bought that. The best part is that someone will dump AOSP and you can easily install a fully supported version of stock android on your GS4 that you got on contract. That's the real treasure here.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Weird, if i go to hangouts in the Play Store it says 'Open' (with no option to 'update') but it just opens Talk which doesn't have a new icon or anything. And it looks exactly the same. I'm assuming it's meant to replace talk and have a new icon?

Pretty much the galaxy nexus 2(gs4 Google) is the greatest nexus ever available....

650 dollars :/ plus tax....plus shipping. I'd be looking at like 750 if I ever bought that. The best part is that someone will dump AOSP and you can easily install a fully supported version of stock android on your GS4 that you got on contract. That's the real treasure here.

True...for the price they should have had 32gig version.

Quasar

Lots of cool stuff in that keynote.

A bit bummed I have t wait to trial the google music sub service. The new interface is nice though. Instant Mixes though...lets just say it goes pretty weird when I use an anime song as the start point.

Didn't expect Google Plus games to be killed.

Quasar

Weird, if i go to hangouts in the Play Store it says 'Open' (with no option to 'update') but it just opens Talk which doesn't have a new icon or anything. And it looks exactly the same. I'm assuming it's meant to replace talk and have a new icon?

Well for me to get it to upgrade I had to install from the web store. And even then the icon did not change.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Well for me to get it to upgrade I had to install from the web store. And even then the icon did not change.
Web store wouldn't allow me to do it - I had to install the APK manually, apparently Sony phones treat talk as a system app so would have had to wait for an update form Sony (ie. Never)

I wonder which idiot at Google thought having a new item in my 'sent mail' in Gmail for every single outgoing Gtalk message sent was a good idea. Absurd.

I wonder if this is the new direction for the Nexus program. Google never had much success creating a good device on their own. It just makes sense to use existing flagship devices and just put stock Android on them for the purists rather than pay an OEM to make a custom device that's worse than their own best devices.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I just realized you can tell who's online in the Chrome hangouts app by the green bar below their display picture.

I do not know why they didn't put that in the android app

the dream is real!

Font Apk Creator will turn TTF fonts into Flipfonts that work with some (mostly Samsung) Android devices. no need to root and overwrite system fonts, just a convenient menu under display settings.

and... of course... i had to...

i6067yel.png

DAT COMIC SANS

iavi

This new music app is godlike. Makes me wonder how I went all this time with the other one. Having that slide out panel on the left side alone makes everything so much faster

Toki767

I just realized you can tell who's online in the Chrome hangouts app by the green bar below their display picture.

I do not know why they didn't put that in the android app

The Android and iOS apps really need an update to be more like the Chrome extension. They also need sorting options or an option to just show people who are online.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I wonder if this is the new direction for the Nexus program. Google never had much success creating a good device on their own. It just makes sense to use existing flagship devices and just put stock Android on them for the purists rather than pay an OEM to make a custom device that's worse than their own best devices.

But Samsung and LG are just horrid in terms of quality. Have you seen the S4 screen lol? Or my 7 Nexus 4 replacements lol?

buhdeh

Music app is great

Hangouts sucks pretty hard. How the fuck do you even tell who's online? Or who even has the app? I told you guys Babel wasn't going to do shit. Everyone will keep using Whatsapp/Facebook Chat/iMessage/etc. All they really did was update Google Talk.

Quasar

I hope not. But then I would not even own a android phone if there hadn't been an affordable nexus phone that was fairly modern with the Nexus 4.

jwk94

So my Galaxy Nexus has been lagging like hell these past few weeks. I'm getting sick and tired of it. Can somebody guide me through all of the steps of flashing a different ROM? Including backing up my data and such. I'd like to switch to a Cyanogen Mod ROM since that seems to be the most stable.

Hieberrr

Music app is great

Hangouts sucks pretty hard. How the fuck do you even tell who's online? Or who even has the app? I told you guys Babel wasn't going to do shit. Everyone will keep using Whatsapp/Facebook Chat/iMessage/etc. All they really did was update Google Talk.
This. I had a specific list of contacts on Google Talk and now it's a fucking mess. I can't tell who is online or not and my list of contacts is full of people I don't want to chat with. Google Talk was simple and it just...worked.

Back to Google Talk for me until this is all sorted out.

So my Galaxy Nexus has been lagging like hell these past few weeks. I'm getting sick and tired of it. Can somebody guide me through all of the steps of flashing a different ROM? Including backing up my data and such. I'd like to switch to a Cyanogen Mod ROM since that seems to be the most stable.

Check out XDA.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just what are you doing with your phones? I mean...I've carried mine daily for months without even a bumper and its still in mint condition.

I've been getting them broken out of the factory. I don't even have the chance to take off the factory screen protectors. 2 unresponsive screens, 6 squeaky buttons, 6 buzzing earpieces.

you're alone on the S4 screen. even the haters admit the screen is amazing.

I guess phone coverage is as credible as gaming journalism. How can one not notice the smeared blacks blows my mind. It's so simple too. Go into Settings and simply scroll down quickly to watch the blacks leave a wonderful trail of quality.

Divvy

Music app is great

This. I had a specific list of contacts on Google Talk and now it's a fucking mess. I can't tell who is online or not and my list of contacts is full of people I don't want to chat with. Google Talk was simple and it just...worked.

Back to Google Talk for me until this is all sorted out.

Apparently contacts with greyed out profile pics are offline. Full colour profile pics are online.

Divvy

Him I guess that makes sense. What about busy or idle? I'd hate to bother someone who is legit busy or, say, watching a show on their PC.

I dunno, it's going to take some getting used to. Jury's out on whether it's better or not.

Groof

Lots of one stars on the Hangout page. I'd one star it too just out of sheer sadness that I have like no friends on it :(

but dem animations are soooo guuuddd

buhdeh

It's not 1-star bad but the app has some pretty poor design decisions.

1. Too hard to tell between online/offline
2. Impossible to tell who on your contacts list even uses the fucking thing
3. Putting ALL your contacts from your phone and every single person from your google+ circles is just plain retarded. Imagine Twitter making an IM app and putting everyone you follow as a contact. It BADLY needs filtering options.

And why the fuck are contacts that only have phone numbers even in there in the first place? There's no SMS integration so what reason is there to have them in your Hangouts list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom