• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

From the way they were talking in the Verge's interview video they seemed like they're looking into SMS integration, this is probably the start. But I agree that the contact list is a huge clusterfuck, but at least you're able to search.
As for on/offline, I don't get the deal, why's everyone so concerned about this?

buhdeh

I think fb messenger has the best sms integration....it's like the fist messeging app that actually let me do group messeging that works.

Too bad the app performance is so bad. I don't know how many times my messages get sent twice or only 3 messages load up and I have the spinning loading circle stuck there.

Honestly, the fact that a MESSAGING app requires a pull to refresh function is pretty fucking sad.

Whatsapp is the best IM app that I've found but only a matter of time til it's dead since they seem to be too stupid to realize that they need a tablet and desktop app.

Too bad the app performance is so bad. I don't know how many times my messages get sent twice or only 3 messages load up and I have the spinning loading circle stuck there.

Honestly, the fact that a MESSAGING app requires a pull to refresh function is pretty fucking sad.

Whatsapp is the best IM app that I've found but only a matter of time til it's dead since they seem to be too stupid to realize that they need a tablet and desktop app.

Don't have issues with mine...

Toki767

As for on/offline, I don't get the deal, why's everyone so concerned about this?

People used Google Talk as an instant messenger. Not as a text messaging service. I'm one of those people who won't message someone unless they're shown as online/available so that I know I will receive an instant response. Even more, if someone is shown as busy, I won't message them for fear of interrupting something important.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I would like to think that the vast, vast majority of adults in the world are capable of knowing how to manage their phones when they don't want to be disturbed, or capable of not getting mad at friends and colleagues for sending messages when they have no way of knowing what you're up to.

The exception is people who send you messages at 3am. Fuck them all forever. (Oh wait, airplane mode.)

Groof

People used Google Talk as an instant messenger. Not as a text messaging service. I'm one of those people who won't message someone unless they're shown as online/available so that I know I will receive an instant response. Even more, if someone is shown as busy, I won't message them for fear of interrupting something important.

Alright, sure I can get this. But if they're shown as offline/busy, it probably means they're not getting notifications which in turn means that if they're doing something important it won't be interrupting. Either way, I've always seen these as replacements for regular texting and therefore I just send a message and await a reply to come whenever they have time. Which makes the most sense to me.

Toki767

Alright, sure I can get this. But if they're shown as offline/busy, it probably means they're not getting notifications which in turn means that if they're doing something important it won't be interrupting. Either way, I've always seen these as replacements for regular texting and therefore I just send a message and await a reply to come whenever they have time. Which makes the most sense to me.

That's the thing. Google sees this as a method for replacing texting, which, if it consolidated SMS would be fine. The problem is a lot of other people just see it as a downgraded instant messenger. The Google Talk app layout was just much easier to navigate and work with than Hangouts.

peeps... with the whole "cant tell if they're online" thing, they're just copying the way another popular method of communications does things...

I guess phone coverage is as credible as gaming journalism. How can one not notice the smeared blacks blows my mind. It's so simple too. Go into Settings and simply scroll down quickly to watch the blacks leave a wonderful trail of quality.
nah, its just you.

That's the thing. Google sees this as a method for replacing texting, which, if it consolidated SMS would be fine. The problem is a lot of other people just see it as a downgraded instant messenger. The Google Talk app layout was just much easier to navigate and work with than Hangouts.

Agree total downgrade.....luckily It enable me to uninstall the update, now I'm back to the old Google talk.

I meant that in a way that a lot of Android stuff simply isn't unified enough.

Gingerbread still high in usage, a lot of messenger apps for different google services.

New Play services US first, rest of the world someday.

But updating services like they are doing now instead of the whole OS is going to make the stats look better. Won't fix OS level bugs though.

gcubed

So Samsung finally admitted that stuffing a 16gb phone full of shit software and dumping "SD Card" as a catch all isn't a good idea...

daoster

Hangouts look neat, but it really is kinda...not too useful in it's current form.

I mean, it essentially makes Gchat look nicer, but it doesn't even unify anything. I can still use Google + Messenger, SMS is not integrated, and let's not even bring up Google Voice...

gcubed

from droidlife... http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/1...eed&utm_campaign=Feed:+DroidLife+(Droid+Life)

Now, according to Google’s G+ community manager of Hangouts and Chat, Dori Storbeck, SMS is one of their most requested features and will be “coming soon.”

GXvrVKa.png

gcubed

Are you talking about the new S4? I kind of think Google begged them to let them sell a Nexified version, since they had no exciting hardware ready for I/O/

no, on touchwiz GS4, they are still getting hammered for half the space being inaccessible.

After being taken to task by the BBC's consumer rights show, Watchdog, Samsung says it's looking into reducing the memory footprint of its TouchWiz features on its flagship Galaxy S 4

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/16/...utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

Toki767

When they finally integrate SMS, will Google be ballsy enough to completely replace their "Messaging" app with "Hangouts" ?

I wish they chose a different name. "Babel" sounded nice. "Messenger" or "Messaging" is fine. "Hangouts" just isn't a term I would associate with texting.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
When they finally integrate SMS, will Google be ballsy enough to completely replace their "Messaging" app with "Hangouts" ?

Messaging is part of Android, while Hangouts would be part of Gapps. It won't replace it the same way the gmail app doesn't replace the email app.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So here is my mini list/wrap up/commentary on 10 things we got and 10 things still up in the air for Android

On the + Side of Things

1) Holo Light Music App - The music app was getting long in the tooth looks wise as it was introduced before Google really had a clear design vision. Now it's in line with their new look similar to the new Play Store.

2) Streaming Music Service - Basically Google's answer to Spotify or their version of Zune Pass. Long time rumor finally came out true.

3) Hangouts - A GTalk replacement that seems like an upgrade in theory, but seems sort of half baked. Should be legit once they iron out the kinks and add in the requested features like SMS

4) Cross device Message Swipe Away - Ability for devs to have their messages be swiped once on say your phone while being mirrored on say your tablet.

5) New Low Powered Location Device Pinging - Supposedly location pinging won't kill your battery anymore. I assume they just mean the location services box checked, and not gps though.

6) Geofencing for Location Based Apps - Should be interesting for Location Based Apps

7) Redesigned Maps - Google redesigned Maps. Looks cool with all the new features.

8) Cloud Saves for Gaming +Matchmaking + Achievements - Basically Google's answer to game center via G+ with cloud saves, matchmaking, and game by game achievements. XBL for your phone without the monthly fee.

9) Amped up Google Now - New cards as well as new abilities like being able to set reminders. A clear swipe at Siri while also still focusing on pushing relevant info to you via all the big data Google has on everyone. Oh and it's on the desktop now.

10) Switched up developer environment - Google switched stock dev environments from Eclipse to IntelliJ. It seems better at first glance, but only time will tell

There are other things like new dev tools for translation, better app analytics, and the G+ repositioning. For not really getting a ton of new flashy stuff yesterday we really did get a ton of stuff. That being said..

Still Up in the Air

1) No New Hardware - Sure we got the stock GS4 dev edition but we didn't get any new hardware persay. The LTE Nexus was nowhere to be found. No Xfone or Nexus tablet refresh was there, and of course no Nexus 5 phone. No real idea when or how we'll see these new things either.

2) No New Android - No new version of Android. Hell we didn't even get another jelly bean refresh either. We got what we got for now.

3) No Gmail App Update - Everything seems to slowly be moving towards Holo light, but much like Android itself Gmail didn't get memo yet either. Music got updated, and Maps is coming. Stands to reason Gmail has to be on the to do list.

4) Services still US Only - For Google being such a big power house of a company they absolutely fail miserably at getting their stuff outside of the US. Things like Google Play Music still isn't available to the world at large, and instead of fixing that Google adds in things like music streaming for the US only.

I gotta admit it would be HARD to be a big Android supporter if I was outside of the home country. Apple kills them in this regard

5) Developer Global Reach - In a similar vein I keep waiting for Google to make a big push for getting a global reach of developers working on the OS. I just didn't see Google do that at all yesterday, and that would have been my #1 question to Larry Page in the Q&A

6) No Real Answer Yet on the Audio/Abstraction Layer Issue - I didn't expect this to be answered in the keynote though. I expect this to be more of something discussed in a session.

Point still stands though that interactive media such as Games or Music Production Apps just have latency problems with sound. That's one reason why iOS has a ton of apps in each of these areas, and well Android is lagging behind

7) Chrome for Android Glossed Over - I mean we all know it's there, and they are actively working on things both with the stable and beta. It was sort of not talked about at the conference though, and as we all know performance isn't where we all want it to be yet. Google probably figures this is already being worked on as we go in the 6 week release frames so I could see this being more of a session topic instead of keynote.

8) No Touch Upon Phone Updates - Google made this a point of emphases that manufacturers and carriers would push more updates faster last I/O. This wasn't really talked about this I/O, and I think many would say last years talk never really turned into a ton of action.

9) No Real News on the Chrome/Android Might Merge Front - Google didn't even mention this at all so the rumors didn't come true of a Chrome/Android merge. That being said they never squashed the rumor either. I definitely see this rumor continuing on.

10) No Road Map for the Future - In terms of Android's future there really wasn't any talk. We didn't get a road map of where it's going. We didn't get an update on how the whole merge Android back into the Linux Kernel project was going. We didn't get any glimpse of if Android might grow out to other areas like set top boxes, baked in TVs, into laptops, or wearable objects. In this regard Google seems to be rather tight lipped.

Yeah yeah yeah. This was long winded, probably stupid, shittily written, and mostly obvious. I wrote it anyways so there ya go Android-GAF. I know I probably missed a ton of stuff to so you can kill me on that if you want to.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope it won't take too long to add SMS in Hangouts. The app already has the requisite permissions. And the GVoice app was updated a few weeks ago. It had no front end changes. I think there was some sort of app settings hook.

gcubed

i would imagine a decent handful of your "up in the air" list would be addressed at an Android conference announcing a new version of the OS/ nexus handset/tablets. I still expected some things to be answered about skin abstraction, etc but i dont even know

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a JB stock ROM for the S2? I haven't really looked into it but if it's easy to do I might try it. Samsung probably won't be giving to S2 any more significant updates in the future so it might be worth doing.

Can anyone recommend any JB ROM's for the S2?

It's weird that when I look at phones I get put off by them not having 4G or LTE. It's weird because I don't even get 3G here nevermind anything higher.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Messaging is part of Android, while Hangouts would be part of Gapps. It won't replace it the same way the gmail app doesn't replace the email app.

They replaced the stock browser with Chrome though. I'd say it's certainly possible, Messenger has been languishing for a while so abandoning it to AOSP wouldn't be out of the question.

Vanillalite

Can anyone recommend any JB ROM's for the S2?

It's weird that when I look at phones I get put off by them not having 4G or LTE. It's weird because I don't even get 3G here nevermind anything higher.

Doesn't the S2 have access to CM 10.1? If it does just go with that!

Ydahs

Okay, the new Google Music web interface is brilliant. Definitely a step up from what they had before. I love that that made the App and web version actually look alike. Heck, I love how they are finally 'bridging' most of their interfaces, both on the web and on Android Also good to hear the Google is standardizing the left slide-in navigation drawer. We should see a decent boost in Apps utilizing it in the near future.

It's also a little crazy how Google are integrating Google+ into everything. Not complaining myself, since I find it great. A shame it's so unpopular over here in Australia though, as I only really use it for communities.

Groof

They replaced the stock browser with Chrome though. I'd say it's certainly possible, Messenger has been languishing for a while so abandoning it to AOSP wouldn't be out of the question.

In that case they'll probably do it gradually in the same way. Keep the stock app for a few versions and then replace it somewhere down the line.

Vanillalite

That makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Aka I leaked out something I probably wasn't suppose to say so I have to backtrack. Nothing has officially been announced, and it's probably being worked on. It may or may not come, and she spoke to soon. :p

SimleuqiR

4) Services still US Only - For Google being such a big power house of a company they absolutely fail miserably at getting their stuff outside of the US. Things like Google Play Music still isn't available to the world at large, and instead of fixing that Google adds in things like music streaming for the US only.

I gotta admit it would be HARD to be a big Android supporter if I was outside of the home country. Apple kills them in this regard.

If the French and Germans are any indication of how Google is perceived outside the USA, I have reason to believe it iss not as easy as you want it to be. Google is very well liked (for the most part) by is tech heavy users. But government and corporate entities around the world are fighting to keep their reach to a minimum.

There is a lot of red-tape to cut through and every country has their own copyright laws - so many more elbows to grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom