• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the next big noteworthy event? I'd say it's LGs event at the end of the month right? Because they're likely to announce the Optimus G2. And if it's used as a reference device for the Nexus 5 like the Optimus G was to the nexus 4 then we might get some indications on what to expect from the specs.

At least I'm pretty sure the G and N4 shared a lot of the same specs. So yeah that should be interesting.

Verizon announcing the one next week.

Hey guys I just got my first smart phone and android phone ever.

I'm trying to mess around with my home pages or whatever you'd call them, but I can't really figure anything out. I imported my bookmarks from my desktop Chrome, and I thought I saw that you could like divide the home screen page into like four equal squares that each showed a preview page of a different bookmark or something so that you could choose from them. Almost like a tab viewer. Is that possible?

And I downloaded a few apps, namely a pair of games and I tried Nova Launcher but I have no idea how to use it. Any other apps I need to get? Any tutorials on how to customize the pages to look pretty cool?

Hey guys I just got my first smart phone and android phone ever.

I'm trying to mess around with my home pages or whatever you'd call them, but I can't really figure anything out. I imported my bookmarks from my desktop Chrome, and I thought I saw that you could like divide the home screen page into like four equal squares that each showed a preview page of a different bookmark or something so that you could choose from them. Almost like a tab viewer. Is that possible?

And I downloaded a few apps, namely a pair of games and I tried Nova Launcher but I have no idea how to use it. Any other apps I need to get? Any tutorials on how to customize the pages to look pretty cool?
baby steps man, Android isn't the most beginner friendly if you're going to dive straight into the deep end with launchers and stuff. Mess with Nova after you've figured everything else out.

Also what phone do you have? That might help people here tell you what to do. As for app suggestions, check the OP of this thread for some useful links.

baby steps man, Android isn't the most beginner friendly if you're going to dive straight into the deep end with launchers and stuff. Mess with Nova after you've figured everything else out.

Also what phone do you have? That might help people here tell you what to do. As for app suggestions, check the OP of this thread for some useful links.

Ah, sorry. The HTC One.

Wait...what?

Did I miss something?
no you didn't miss anything, that makes no sense. Dumb speculation. Google didn't reveal a new OS because they didn't have much to show, don't know why sites are creating excuses for google lol. It's OK. They're just going with the narrative that hey guys google updated android without updating android.....riiight. The more stuff moved to apps the better but it wasn't an android update replacement.

Ah, sorry. The HTC One.
for the bookmark thing, hold down an empty space on the homescreen you would like it on, then a menu will pop up, you'll see the word apps with a small arrow next to it, tap that, tap widgets, then find the bookmarks widget. There you go. To resize the widget hold your finger on it then let go and you'll see a blue line you can move.

i need to start up a website and put up ads and rumors.

RUMOR: XFON SCRAPPED, XFON2 PLANNED FOR WINTER LAUNCH, INTEL INSIDE

RUMOR: NEXUS 10.1 TO LAUNCH WITH ANDROID 6.0 LICORICE AT GOOGLE I/O 2014

RUMOR: HUAWEI GRAND NEXUS 6.1" PHABLET TO BE FIRST KEY LIME PIE DEVICE, ECO FRIENDLY, WILL COME IN GREEN

GatorBait

Is there any way to get the Voice Search to make sounds and read knowledge graph results out loud when you have the ringer silenced or on vibrate?

A have an S3. On TouchWiz, how do I display all seven home pages at once, where you can change their order? I remember doing it before, but I can't seem to repeat it.

Edit: Nevermind, I should have just googled it, haha. In case anyone else is wondering, just pinch the corners of the screen on the main menu.

NinjaBoiX

So I just updated my phone, and it's reset all of my settings. Thanks a lot. But worst of all, Swiftkey doesn't work properly anymore. It isn't predicting words anymore. Basically, the top line on the keyboard with the predicted words isn't there. But it is when I compose a text.

Anyone know whats going on/how to fix it? It's driving me mad!

Nicktendo86

So my talk app finally updated to hangouts today and... I actually like it. I can see where some of you are coming from but it is not the massive clusterfuck some people are saying, I don't think anyway. Likes and Dislikes:

Dislikes
Lack of SMS integration, Google have said it is coming though and the fact that it asked me to verify my phone number surely backs that up.
How the same contact shows up multiple times, this is annoying. I have linked my contacts in my people app so why can'tit link them on hangouts?

There are some nice details, I like the three dots that bounce while you wait for a message to send. I also like the little pic of the person you are talking to that shows up to let you know where they have read up to.

Overall it does feel like a beta app and it will improve over time, I wish Google would release more polished apps initially but I am sure all the feedback they get really help towards developing the app.

gcubed

no you didn't miss anything, that makes no sense. Dumb speculation. Google didn't reveal a new OS because they didn't have much to show, don't know why sites are creating excuses for google lol. It's OK. They're just going with the narrative that hey guys google updated android without updating android.....riiight. The more stuff moved to apps the better but it wasn't an android update replacement.

for the bookmark thing, hold down an empty space on the homescreen you would like it on, then a menu will pop up, you'll see the word apps with a small arrow next to it, tap that, tap widgets, then find the bookmarks widget. There you go. To resize the widget hold your finger on it then let go and you'll see a blue line you can move.

your looking at it from a very consumer point of view and putting anger in there where non needs to be. They separated out services that are usually tied to an OS update into Google Services Framework. The majority of things they announced in regards to services framework would normally require an OS update to make available to developers.

your looking at it from a very consumer point of view and putting anger in there where non needs to be. They separated out services that are usually tied to an OS update into Google Services Framework. The majority of things they announced in regards to services framework would normally require an OS update to make available to developers.
We will see.

Pctx

Banned

Pretty much this.

From a Google standpoint, what they've done is quiet genius. Instead of the old model:

| Android OS Ver # | | Specific API's | Specific APPS|

Now we've moved to:

| Android OS Ver #| | Framework API's| | All Apps|

As I've maintained all along, from a non-engineer designer standpoint, a modular Android OS is ultimately where Google is going. Why? Removes the Carriers from the equation. Android is still very much a case study for how to release an operating system of which gradually over the years, Google has realized they need to direct the way it is going but not dictate it. That is why the Framework services go all the way down to what.. Froyo versions so that Developers can spend less time making "Specifc OS Apps" and more "Android Apps".

We saw this type of revolution from Honeycomb to ICS and now from ICS to Jelly Bean. I would imagine that a lot more of the "OS" functions in KLP are going to be modular and allow as close to 0-day patching as they can through the Play Store which is something I've always wanted them to do.

Futureman

do most people on here use the GMail app? I have some friend's who just came over from iPhone to the GS4 and they seem to miss Mailbox from iOS. I guess the Mailbox people tweeted that an Android version is coming.

anything comparable out already??

I've always been fine with GMail, but it does CHUG when you expand an email with lots of replies.

there is nothing to "we will see" about. Thats like responding to a post saying that water is wet with "we will see"
I never argued what you were saying. I'm saying it doesn't replace an update. There will be a 5.0 update. It will likely be significant when it comes out. If Google had it ready and it wasn't delayed, they would have shown it off. Same with 4.3 if it was anything worth talking about. This wasn't some super strategy by Google, they weren't trying to make a point, it's just all they got done. In fact, they've said they will try to do what they've done at I/O for quite some time now.

That's all I'm saying. It's nice they did it and they're able to do stuff without an OS update. Very nice in fact. Replacement it is not for now.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Got the new store update. Just looks like fancier buttons to each section.

buhdeh

Pocket Casts got updated:

v4.2:
- We love twins, but we've removed duplicate icons in action bar and fixed duplicate episodes.
- Talk to the hand, because the face ain't listening: e.g.: a setting to play over the top of notification sounds, etc
- Mark all as unplayed option for a podcast
- Long press on next button to jump to next item in playlist
- Added initial support for Tasker
- Bringing Sexy back: brand new share pages :)
- Download failed episodes now show up in the not downloaded filter
- mo fixes than yo mamma

THANK GOD

gcubed

I never argued what you were saying. I'm saying it doesn't replace an update. There will be a 5.0 update. It will likely be significant when it comes out. If Google had it ready and it wasn't delayed, they would have shown it off. Same with 4.3 if it was anything worth talking about. This wasn't some super strategy by Google, they weren't trying to make a point, it's just all they got done. In fact, they've said they will try to do what they've done at I/O for quite some time now.

That's all I'm saying. It's nice they did it and they're able to do stuff without an OS update. Very nice in fact. Replacement it is not for now.

you argued! ARGUE

no, it doesn't replace an update, and i don't but the whole "they didn't want to take away from their service framework with an update" bullshit, but they definitely opened eyes with how they can roll out all kinds of new app hooks without an OS update.

AndyD

aka andydumi
do most people on here use the GMail app? I have some friend's who just came over from iPhone to the GS4 and they seem to miss Mailbox from iOS. I guess the Mailbox people tweeted that an Android version is coming.

anything comparable out already??

I've always been fine with GMail, but it does CHUG when you expand an email with lots of replies.

I think everyone uses standard Gmail and not other mail apps. At least in my experience.

you argued! ARGUE

no, it doesn't replace an update, and i don't but the whole "they didn't want to take away from their service framework with an update" bullshit, but they definitely opened eyes with how they can roll out all kinds of new app hooks without an OS update.
no argument there...now gimme 5.0.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
zBrV3Pd.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_mega_63-review-927.php

Zeppu

I got an update to Hangouts (already). Anyone have any idea what's changed?

Not updated to hangouts, but an update for hangouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom