• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

The man who leaked the Galaxy S4 Google Edition now confirms HTC One Google Edition.

Read more here

Sources claim this vanilla HTC One will be announced within the next two weeks, with potential release slated for sometime this summer. This falls in line with claims from HTC that production for the One will be doubling soon, as well as plan to have the HTC One updates to Android 4.2.2. in the same time frame.

Honestly, if it's just stock and not getting that Google love, what's the point.

What do you mean not getting the Google love? That's ALMOST the perfect phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gmail for Android redesign with new navigation bar revealed in Google I/O slide

Gmail_slide.png

Futureman

GMail redesign would be nice, but the only thing I really want is for it to no load like ass when you open an email thread containing 50+ replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, trying to get a cheap but good android phone in the $300 or less range (off contract). It seems my choices are a used S3, N4 8gb (ugh), or an HTC first. I'd prefer the First, and I know it has stock android, but since it sold like crap....is there ANY way it gets updates? I'd imagine that there isn't really a community that would push update and that google updates wouldn't carry over even though its stock, right?

The man who leaked the Galaxy S4 Google Edition now confirms HTC One Google Edition.

Read more here

Sources claim this vanilla HTC One will be announced within the next two weeks, with potential release slated for sometime this summer. This falls in line with claims from HTC that production for the One will be doubling soon, as well as plan to have the HTC One updates to Android 4.2.2. in the same time frame.

Honestly, if it's just stock and not getting that Google love, what's the point.

Fuck him. Fuck verizon. Fuck htc. And fuck everyone too.

Ephemeris

What is it with you people and hating stock? Jesus, I would slap every single one of you if I could.

What do you mean not getting the Google love? That's ALMOST the perfect phone.

Sorry, I was posting that from my phone and it annoyed me after butchering a copy/paste and I bailed before expanding lol

I don't dislike Stock, in fact I always aim for the stock look on my Phone.

But there's a difference between "Stock OS and waiting for HTC to update" and "Stock OS with updates directly from Google."

Developer One + Nova Launcher > a Stock (non-Google-love) One.

Ephemeris

Anker 4400MaH battery for my GS3.

Damn man, that's gotta look like a space shuttle attached to a monster truck.

I bought the ZeroLemon S3 7000mAh Extended Battery a month ago for around $25. Didn't lose NFC either!

Cons: It turns my slim, light phone into:

galaxy-s3-7000-battery-cheap.jpg

(That's exactly how it looks btw. They included the same black case with the battery).

Pros: Glorious battery life. I remember following their guide of waiting for the battery to go to 1%. There I was, day 3, wishing the battery would die faster lol

Honestly I bought it for a trip I have coming up next month, and planned to switch back to my stock battery after a couple days.. but I just can't :(

Fatalah

For those of you still on Google Talk, have you noticed more friends logged in than usual? Seems like Hangouts is spreading fast -- either by Android's auto-install, or iPhone users who install the app manually. I know a lot of Android users who never logged into their Talk app, but Hangouts is always logged in.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So, trying to get a cheap but good android phone in the $300 or less range (off contract). It seems my choices are a used S3, N4 8gb (ugh), or an HTC first. I'd prefer the First, and I know it has stock android, but since it sold like crap....is there ANY way it gets updates? I'd imagine that there isn't really a community that would push update and that google updates wouldn't carry over even though its stock, right?

What happened to your Windows Phone?

Honestly I'd just save up the extra 50 bones and get the 16 gig Nexus 4 unless you can find a really good deal on one of the 2012 flagship phones used in good condition.

Toki767

For those of you still on Google Talk, have you noticed more friends logged in than usual? Seems like Hangouts is spreading fast -- either by Android's auto-install, or iPhone users who install the app manually. I know a lot of Android users who never logged into their Talk app, but Hangouts is always logged in.

Everyone's always idle now for me.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Hey is there any reason to avoid buying a Nexus 4 these days? I'm thinking about buying one but I haven't really been paying close attention to the market market lately. Does it have any issues that I should know about? As far as price goes it seems like easily the best deal you can get with Android.

Also as I'm kind of dumb regarding phones, if I was to buy a new phone do I just have to switch my SIM card over from my old one? Is there anything else to do in order to transfer over?

Thanks!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey is there any reason to avoid buying a Nexus 4 these days? I'm thinking about buying one but I haven't really been paying close attention to the market market lately. Does it have any issues that I should know about? As far as price goes it seems like easily the best deal you can get with Android.

Also as I'm kind of dumb regarding phones, if I was to buy a new phone do I just have to switch my SIM card over from my old one? Is there anything else to do in order to transfer over?

Thanks!

What is your current device and provider?

In theory you should be able to just SIM swap and be fine.

As for any reason to avoid buying one it just depends on your wants, needs, and purchase ability. What's your current phone? Nothing wrong with ordering a Nexus 4 right now, but depending upon your situation you might want to hold off/go with something else instead.

PGamer

fucking juniors
What is your current device and provider?

In theory you should be able to just SIM swap and be fine.

As for any reason to avoid buying one it just depends on your wants, needs, and purchase ability. What's your current phone?

LG Optimus (this one: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support-mobile/lg-LGP500H) with Telus. I'm in Canada if that makes any difference.

Nothing wrong with ordering a Nexus 4 right now, but depending upon your situation you might want to hold off/go with something else instead.

I want a new phone as:

1. My current phone is laggy, has performance issues even on relatively simple games, is stuck on Android 2, and has a fairly poor screen in comparison to new phones. I would like something new that doesn't have these issues.

2. I'm interested in Android game development since Unity added it in their free engine. I can't depend on my current phone to run games for testing.

I would ideally like something that's dependable, with a decent screen and battery life, and at least reasonably powerful. I don't have a ton of disposable income these days so I'm looking for something cheap as well. I guess I should probably mention I'm also using prepaid so I will need to buy the phone outright I think?

vgamer1

Quick question. On verizon, can I transfer an upgrade between two smartphones, one with unlimited data and one not?

I want to get a device with my sister's discount using her upgrade, then activate it on my line, then transfer that upgrade to her.

Quick question. On verizon, can I transfer an upgrade between two smartphones, one with unlimited data and one not?

I want to get a device with my sister's discount using her upgrade, then activate it on my line, then transfer that upgrade to her.
Yeah, I've done that -- I hope they didn't change anything. Just do it over the phone so you can verbally confirm: "the line with the upgrade will keep unlimited data, right?"

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
LG Optimus (this one: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support-mobile/lg-LGP500H) with Telus. I'm in Canada if that makes any difference.

I want a new phone as:

1. My current phone is laggy, has performance issues even on relatively simple games, is stuck on Android 2, and has a fairly poor screen in comparison to new phones. I would like something new that doesn't have these issues.

2. I'm interested in Android game development since Unity added it in their free engine. I can't depend on my current phone to run games for testing.

I would ideally like something that's dependable, with a decent screen and battery life, and at least reasonably powerful. I don't have a ton of disposable income these days so I'm looking for something cheap as well. I guess I should probably mention I'm also using prepaid so I will need to buy the phone outright I think?

Ahh the good old Optimus One. That's the phone I upgraded from with my Nexus 4. Is your contract with Telus ending anytime soon?

Edit- You're prepaid eh. You should definitely check out the Tab option with Koodo. Good plans.

Futureshop has the Nexus 4 for $199 + $150 Koodo Tab with Koodo plus you get a $50 gift card at the moment. I can send you a free $25 off your Tab referral code bringing the price down to $325 total. After make a posting on Kijiji offering Koodo referrals and you'll squash the Tab in no time. I got my Nexus 4 for $56 with a $150 Tab this way.

Anyways. It's a sexy phone though I've had my gripes with build quality (Nexus 4 OT) but I love it.

Can't help but notice that the Nexus 7 seems to be dropping in price across various retailers in the UK. PC World Business site now have it listed under their 'Clearance' section for £179.

Reminds me of the price drops just before the 32gb refresh hit..... :)

Does anyone have any idea why on the camera app, if I swipe left to see the previous taken photos, they only appear if I launch the app from the lock screen?

If I launch it from the app drawer or home screen shortcut no photos appear.

Cigol

I just replicated this. Looks awesome but email doesn't work properly. It launches my email but just displays a "1" on the icon at all times, regardless of how many unread emails their are.

My OCD is going crazy.
Did you select all mail or just your inbox? Seems to work for me with the latter.

You can change the color of the icons in their latest update which is nice. Looks really smart having the screen to the left and right with these app icons.

Does anyone have any idea why on the camera app, if I swipe left to see the previous taken photos, they only appear if I launch the app from the lock screen?

If I launch it from the app drawer or home screen shortcut no photos appear.
All i know is should be the other way around to protect your privacy.

Any tips for preserving battery life on an android phone?

I leave for work about 3pm with a full battery, and by the time I get off around midnight the battery is near dead. The only way I can save the battery is to put it in airplane mode.

I do assume that being connected to wifi is going to drain some battery, but the whole thing in a night? Are there any things that I may be missing to help preserve the battery?

Ephemeris

Looks like its legit. Google Edition HTC One all but confirmed at this point according to Android Central.

Brings this up as well :

The existence of a Google Edition HTC One raises several questions, however. The current two-buttoned HTC One relies on an unsightly on-screen bar for legacy menu key support, so how would this work on a vanilla Android variant? It's unlikely that menu key functionality could be re-mapped to, say, a long-press of the back key, as it's previously been confirmed that Google doesn't want HTC hiding the menu button. The most direct (but unlikely) solution would be a change to the hardware key layout, assuming Google and HTC want to avoid losing screen space to an on-screen menu bar.

What's more, the presence of stock Android on an HTC One would likely rule out software tricks like Beats Audio. This could have a knock-on effect on features like the "BoomSound" front-facing speakers, which take advantage of Beats software enhancements. Similarly, the "UltraPixel" camera could likely lose some of its fancier imaging tricks -- side-by-side shots have already shown a marked reduction in image quality for HTC Ones running CyanogenMod 10.1-based firmware compared to HTC Sense 5.

So we will see how that goes.

I'm curious though. I/O was definitely not about launching new hardware , but it sure looks like Google is going to be up to something soon ... Next month specifically .

Considering it seems we have :
Samsung S4 Googy version
White Nexus 4
Unnamed Media Player that recently showed up at the FCC
HTC One Google Edition

Possibly all launching next month. Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom