• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

I use Google Voice and I know I can't get group texts, but 3 friends just switched from iPhone and they were saying last night they weren't getting group text messages. Two are using an S4 and one is using HTC One. I assume they are using the stock TouchWiz and Sense text apps. These should play fine w/ group texts, right?

I'm thinking it may have been someone sending a group iMessage, but I'll have to ask.

Android 4.2 is supposed to have group text built in. I use Handcent as my default sms app for the text feature.

Lol, throwing Nova onto TouchWiz is like covering vomit with a used bandaid.
BYAkZRHl.png

Ephemeris

Snyder is the TouchWiz of movie directors. Slapdash style over substance crap that appeases the idiot masses because they don't have any taste.

Okay Okay

1) I lol'd
2) it's war. (god dammit SwiftKey, I said war not warm)

Anyone from the superior AndroidGAF going to E3?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Stock is ugly as fuck. There is absolutely nothing endearing about it.

It isn't ugly, but I'll agree it isn't endearing either. Ugly is what Faceless uses on his phone.

I've never been a massive fan of holo dark either. Much happier with the new holo lite look for apps, and I hope Google translates that over to the OS as a whole.

GatorBait

Stock is ugly as fuck. There is absolutely nothing endearing about it.

I'm actually loving the direction Google is going in with their stock OS version and apps. I'm liking the lighter theme and how the card motif being applied across more of the OS/apps. I'm hoping the next OS version applies even more consistency with this theme across some of the apps that are tied to the OS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How long is this stock vs touchwiz vs sense vs whatever fight going to go on for? So boring.

Until KLP and the card/Google Now-based OS comes out, then not only will TouchWiz apologists not have a leg to stand on but a torso or midsection, either. Google gonna Black Knight all these bitches up.

I'm not saying I like less features but I actually have an appreciation for the simplicity of stock. Kind of a what you see is what you get kind of thing. I think there's a place for it. It's just nice.

Until KLP and the card/Google Now-based OS comes out, then not only will TouchWiz apologists not have a leg to stand on but a torso or midsection, either. Google gonna Black Knight all these bitches up.

Keep dreaming. Google can't dramatically change the general metaphors of the OS now, not when nearly 1 billion devices are already in the wild and everyone is used to the existing ones. Well, they could. But they would have to time it right.

While I'm really glad Ive has taken over and stripped the skeumorphism out of iOS, existing users are going to be in for quite the surprise when iOS 7 drops. I guess if I were Google I would drop a radical UI revision at the same time, so everyone can be busy being distracted and flaming Apple and ignoring Google.

Why would you want simplicity and be on android? iOS is pretty simple.

Point is stock doesn't offer anything. Yes what you see is what you get. And what you get isn't much. Sense and TW are great in that they offer so many things you can't outside of their skins. Sure they might not look great, but at this point neither does stock. Stock is only good for updates. Sorry, but the less is more argument doesn't apply here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Keep dreaming. Google can't dramatically change the general metaphors of the OS now

Lol, cause ICS was pretty much Gingerbread.

Point is stock doesn't offer anything. Yes what you see is what you get. And what you get isn't much.

This is Coppy-level hyperbole, lol. Come on now.

Sense and TW are great in that they offer so many things you can't outside of their skins.

"so many things"

List wars me. What's the billions of features TouchWiz has?

PiP
Ton of Facebook integration
Smart Screen
Better camera software
S memo
More on screen gestures
Better notification bar

And that's not even counting what the S4 offers. It's late so I'm sure I missed a ton of shit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Cool, but useful? I'm dubious.

Ton of Facebook integration

This is a plus?

The less Facebook on my phone the better.

Smart Screen

What is this?

Better camera software

Photosphere?

gee what a killer core os feature

More on screen gestures

see above

might as well just throw those useless motion controls into this too

(we agree the swype april fools thing was actually a joke, right?)

Better notification bar

But far worse designed.

When did I say....

You know what? Forget it. You have convinced me. Since all of these features don't appeal to you then they're useless. No point arguing my point forward. You clearly know what's good and what isn't.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ummm, I had ICS right when the Gnex launched. It pretty much WAS GB, with a different skin. The only significant UI addition was the multi-tasker. ICS was a natural evolution of Android, not a dramatic redesign.

ICS was about as different a new version of an OS could be outside of something like W8. The Action Bar was particularly important, but aside from that, the entire OS was given a once-over and made more cohesive. When I talk about a Google Now-esque KLP, that's what I mean. I should have worded it better than before but I certainly don't think KLP is going to throw everything Android out, if that's the impression I gave. I just meant that cards would become a first-class UI interaction for apps (like the Action Bar in ICS) and the OS's trappings would get another once-over and an aesthetic update (like Holo.)

When did I say....

You know what? Forget it. You have convinced me. Since all of these features don't appeal to you then they're useless. No point arguing my point forward. You clearly know what's good and what isn't.

I wouldn't say that, but I'm glad you've finally seen the light of the Stock Android Master Race.
p0QHO.gif

Groof

Andrex fighting the good fight. Touchwiz may have features, however 80% of those will either be forgotten or not used at all. And if you're thinking "well at least they're there!," what's the point if you never use them to even have them there clunking and slowing down the OS and eating up perfectly usable storage space?
Stock android is the saviour and KLP will eat all our faces off.

Andrex fighting the good fight. Touchwiz may have features, however 80% of those will either be forgotten or not used at all.

The other 20% are really awesome though and most people who are using stock replace them with paid 3rd party apps without realizing they could have it for free and integrated into the OS.

And if you're thinking "well at least they're there!," what's the point if you never use them to even have them there clunking and slowing down the OS and eating up perfectly usable storage space?

My Android has expandable storage in the form of a microSD slot. I don't care that much about how much internal storage I have as long as I can fit a few of my big games on it. As for clunking and slowing down the OS, I don't count the framerate of my UI while I'm swiping around. I can tell you my Note II with TouchWiz shits all over my Galaxy Nexus with stock Android 4.2.2 in terms of performance though.

Stock android is the saviour and KLP will eat all our faces off.

Stock Android is a false prophet, and the next version of Android is 4.3 JB. There is still no word on when Android will reach 5.0, but at this point it might be until 2014 before we see any signs of it. By then I'll be on my next phone anyways.

Cipherr

SMH @ revisionist history.

"4.0 wasnt much! Just Gingerbread on steroids!"

FOH with that. Y'all got me laughing so hard I can't breath. Funny how quickly everyone forgets how massive of a jump the OS in general took from 2.3 to 4.0. Its like.... after people get a little used to it, they can't recall anything prior.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SMH @ revisionist history.

"4.0 wasnt much! Just Gingerbread on steroids!"

FOH with that. Y'all got me laughing so hard I can't breath. Funny how quickly everyone forgets how massive of a jump the OS in general took from 2.3 to 4.0. Its like.... after people get a little used to it, they can't recall anything prior.

No surprise the reality distortion field is strong with TouchWizers.

Cipherr

Hardly, considering I've actually used both stock and TouchWiz.

So have I, but that stuff you said above is some flat out craziness. 4.0 was a crazy big shift. It made a big difference, and is nigh universally lauded as a turning of the corner for the entire OS.

There is pre 4.0 android, and post 4.0 Android. The rift was large, and immediately noticeable.

Groof

The other 20% are really awesome though and most people who are using stock replace them with paid 3rd party apps without realizing they could have it for free and integrated into the OS.
Funny then how those apps still use up less memory than Samsung's.

My Android has expandable storage in the form of a microSD slot. I don't care that much about how much internal storage I have as long as I can fit a few of my big games on it.
If you're playing a big game on your phone, it's probably on a commute or some such, meaning you'll probably be invested in that one game for a while. In such a case, why would you even need to have more than one? Your phone is neither a tablet nor a gaming computer, no need to clog it up with useless games.

As for clunking and slowing down the OS, I don't count the framerate of my UI while I'm swiping around. I can tell you my Note II with TouchWiz shits all over my Galaxy Nexus with stock Android 4.2.2 in terms of performance though.
Older phone with newer software vs newer phone with older software.

Stock Android is a false prophet, and the next version of Android is 4.3 JB. There is still no word on when Android will reach 5.0, but at this point it might be until 2014 before we see any signs of it. By then I'll be on my next phone anyways.
I never said anything about what would come next, merely that KLP will more than likely be amazing and improve a fuckton over what we already have.

New touchwiz and sense 5 both stump stock android.

Both skins gives better android expirience than beta android.

It's like Google release something gimp, just for they can release an update to fix an issue that shouldnt have been there in the first place.

For example both ICS gnex and jellybean nexus 4 was release with horrible battery life ...and had to be updated to be decent. Can't they just release something that is not a gimp beta? It's like Google gives the illusion that getting timely updates makes the nexus oh so great and the the stock purist eats it up, not realizing that their phone is gimp in the first place and needs those update.

My guess with KLP is that it will be plagued with issues, lacking certain features and bad battery life...but people will be ok with it cause it will get "updated" first....

So have I, but that stuff you said above is some flat out craziness. 4.0 was a crazy big shift. It made a big difference, and is nigh universally lauded as a turning of the corner for the entire OS.

There is pre 4.0 android, and post 4.0 Android. The rift was large, and immediately noticeable.

I'm not pretending it wasn't an improvement in Android. I'm just saying it doesn't change anything about what Android fundamentally is, and really it was quite a performance dog at 4.0. It looked a lot nicer than GB though. It was actually 4.1 that revolutionized Android's performance.

For me, GB -> ICS was like going from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. It was nice, but JB (Windows XP) was what brought it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom