• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is almost no point to anyone arguing the whole stock vs touchwiz thing anymore. Both sides are entrenched in their arguments and neither will be swayed by well constructed logic or fact. Short of starting separate threads, there will never be peace here.

That said (contradiction time!), anyone who thinks Touchwiz looks better than stock is missing something upstairs. I'll listen to the functionality argument (even if some of those extra functions are pure gimmicks) but better looking? Or stock is ugly? GTFO :p

Nyx

Don't have a smartphone atm but am able to get one when I renew my phone-sub by the end of July.

But, I'm also contemplating buying a tablet, for easy webbrowsing, gaming, e-books etc.

The Nexus 7 32GB looks awesome and is pretty cheap, but will I use it a lot if I get myself a smartphone by the end of July?

Decisions, decisions...

Don't have a smartphone atm but am able to get one when I renew my phone-sub by the end of July.

But, I'm also contemplating buying a tablet, for easy webbrowsing, gaming, e-books etc.

The Nexus 7 32GB looks awesome and is pretty cheap, but will I use it a lot if I get myself a smartphone by the end of July?

Decisions, decisions...

There will almost certainly be a refreshed Nexus 7 by the end of July. Thus I council patience for now ;-)

Decisions, decisions...

It might be a bit too close in size, but it's different enough to make you want to read ebooks on the tablet, and not on the phone.

I have a Nexus 4 & a Nexus 10, I use both for different needs (the 10 for videos and reading is a blessing, I would not want smaller)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't even want to hear 2.3 and 4.0 compared. What is wrong with you

Nicktendo86

I don't even want to hear 2.3 and 4.0 compared. What is wrong with you
I think people who say that must have been using a touchwiz device, it wasn't that big a jump on my galaxy s2 because Samsung made it look like gingerbread and didn't include ICS features! (Drag and drop apps to make folders, zero shutter lag, panorama camera etc)

Ydahs

Was just about to buy a Nexus 4, but it turns out it has no FM Radio? Darn. Might still buy it and use Tunein radio when I need to, but I was hoping to buy the cheapest viable phone contract I could get... ah well.

edit: also, to N4 owners, how is the camera? My S2's camera is pretty damn good, but I'm assuming the N4 has a better one?

Ephemeris

I personally don't like the look of TouchWiz.

But that's why I run Nova Launcher.

Cause winners have the stock look with 'Wiz features, that's why.

Was just about to buy a Nexus 4, but it turns out it has no FM Radio? Darn. Might still buy it and use Tunein radio when I need to, but I was hoping to buy the cheapest viable phone contract I could get... ah well.

edit: also, to N4 owners, how is the camera? My S2's camera is pretty damn good, but I'm assuming the N4 has a better one?

N4 camera blows. Stock camera features.....doesn't exist.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The S2's camera is the Same as the Note 1's, right? Then the N4's camera is worse. I wouldn't say it "blows," though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Speaking of cameras here are some pics I've taken with my smartphone camera over the holiday weekend! I know they aren't the best quality but oh wells. :p

8829693524_3dc8086de3_c.jpg
8829701730_425c824886_c.jpg

8829681634_0daaa3f315_c.jpg
8848914981_3f49689b9f_c.jpg

8849602026_f427d6a6ee_c.jpg
8849603098_5a6dbb79e9_c.jpg

8819823330_199a09712b_c.jpg

With HDR switched on shots will come out nicely. The camera is pretty good until you hit poor light conditions.

Ah, so it'll likely mean there will be a stock, stable ROM pretty quickly.

We're all assuming the S4 and the S4NE will have the same hardware inside. If so, then yes. It will be trivial to port the stock Android on the S4NE to the carrier-branded versions, assuming the drivers are the same. If they aren't, then welp.

GJS

The ability to upload PDFs to play books is crap, just had to get that out.
They are presented as scanned pages and not text, even if they are full text PDFs with no restrictions. On top of that search is not available for uploaded files. Seems a bit pointless.

Cigol

With HDR switched on shots will come out nicely. The camera is pretty good until you hit poor light conditions.
HDR requires you to hold it steady in place for it to take more than one shot though - and if you do move you'll get artifacts. Camera is fine though, especially in sunlight.

The ability to upload PDFs to play books is crap, just had to get that out.
They are presented as scanned pages and not text, even if they are full text PDFs with no restrictions. On top of that search is not available for uploaded files. Seems a bit pointless.
I've found I can't set some of them to enable offline either. Going to wait until it's more fully featured before I bother with it again. Just as well I have my library of books on Google drive already.

We're all assuming the S4 and the S4NE will have the same hardware inside. If so, then yes. It will be trivial to port the stock Android on the S4NE to the carrier-branded versions, assuming the drivers are the same. If they aren't, then welp.

Still, even if not, most of the legwork would be done, no?

kehs

Banned
So if I'm understanding this right, pctx got information from someone reporting on internal private documents and exaggerating the details before hand?

Only to have pctx use them as a a game changer before getting confirmation

I found a picture of pctx after posting.

Llac7fl.png

reKon

Banned
So if I'm understanding this right, pctx got information from someone reporting on internal private documents and exaggerating the details before hand?

Llac7fl.png

Yep

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Llac7fl.png

EWmof.gif
RETURN OF THE COPPY
p0QHO.gif

kehs

Banned
I don't wanna give up my sources....but I got some info about the new jb. Its more of a soft release... So ill try not have a scenario where i blue myself accidently.

vgamer1

I personally don't like the look of TouchWiz.

But that's why I run Nova Launcher.

Cause winners have the stock look with 'Wiz features, that's why.

This is the true winning answer. Nova Prime + Sliding Messaging = Looks exactly like stock with all the touchwiz features!

So far my favorite feature is the one where you wave your hand over the sleeping phone to get a quick overview of the time and notifications and any music playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom