• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So who do we think is on deck for the Nexus 5? It can't be Samsung again. Won't be LG. Not sure about HTC. Will we finally get the fabled Sony Nexus?

Nicktendo86

How well do LG smartphones sell worldwide?

As far as I am aware, not very well. As I said earlier, last year I think it was they sold 4% of all smartphones in the world but that was up CONSIDERABLLY from the year before because of the Nexus 4.

I wouldn't count out LG completely for the N5, I'm not sure when the N4 was leaked but I am pretty sure it was after LG launched the Optimus G so it may be that they are waiting for the OG2 to get out the door before turning their attention to the N5. Then again, LG may be fibbing and the N5 could already be in the works.

Then again, maybe there won't be a N5 and Google will just plough on with getting OEM's to have stock versions of their flagships, a la Galaxy S4 and HTC one? Who knows...

gcubed

Your mom was feature complete, so what happened with you?

I think we could trade insults with 'feature complete' all day!

i missed this as internet was spotty out where i was for the weekend. i'm both happy and sad that we didn't continue. I think we could have gotten a few gems, but they would have been delayed until i got home

Then again, maybe there won't be a N5 and Google will just plough on with getting OEM's to have stock versions of their flagships, a la Galaxy S4 and HTC one? Who knows...

i have no doubt google wants in on the wireless market in some shape, and having a 299 off contract phone is the cost of pushing it out there for them. The stock OEM flagships are an added bonus to fill the gap between nexus phones.

I'm really curious to see how shitty the camera of the One is running stock

I am confused. How is stock Android a beta OS? HTC and Samsung adding features and their interface wouldn't take away from it still being a beta OS, it would just add stuff on top. Right?

Futureman

I am confused. How is stock Android a beta OS? HTC and Samsung adding features and their interface wouldn't take away from it still being a beta OS, it would just add stuff on top. Right?

It's not? I'm not sure what you are replaying to, but if someone said that, they were trolling.

Yes, really Sense and TouchWiz will only be as good as Stock is.

Groof

As far as I am aware, not very well. As I said earlier, last year I think it was they sold 4% of all smartphones in the world but that was up CONSIDERABLLY from the year before because of the Nexus 4.

I wouldn't count out LG completely for the N5, I'm not sure when the N4 was leaked but I am pretty sure it was after LG launched the Optimus G so it may be that they are waiting for the OG2 to get out the door before turning their attention to the N5. Then again, LG may be fibbing and the N5 could already be in the works.

Figured as much. Do they really feel confident enough to be branching out to different OSes right now? They can barely get their Android phones a following or even supported right. Adding more on top of that is just... odd. They should just do the Nextus as well and be happy someone is actually buying one of their phones.
It's not? I'm not sure what you are replaying to, but if someone said that, they were trolling.

Yes, really Sense and TouchWiz will only be as good as Stock is.
Check the last page.

Pctx

Banned
Superior plastic phone > 8gig non expandable memory, terrible battery life, NO LTE! And running a beta OS.

LOL Nexus..

i5MPvAhpE5UDd.gif

I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that statement since Samsung phones clearly leave a lot to be desired in the design department.

Also, battery life I'm seeing 1.5 days of use with 3hrs of screen time on my Nexus 4 now and beta OS? What the fuck!?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pretty sad that TouchWizers are so Touched in the head they're calling stock a "beta" OS. If stock is beta, than TouchWiz is malware.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder if my N4 battery life isn't as great as others' because of me using franco kernel.

Pctx

Banned
I wonder if my N4 battery life isn't as great as others' because of me using franco kernel.

I specifically bought the N4 not to dick with it and it slaps my old Skyrocket around with a large trout in terms of battery life. People who are bitching about it need to STFU.

Bboy AJ

I specifically bought the N4 not to dick with it and it slaps my old Skyrocket around with a large trout in terms of battery life. People who are bitching about it need to STFU.

I can get through a day just fine with a couple of hours of on screen time. This phone is no Galaxy Nexus. It'll work just fine.

Nicktendo86

Pctx

Banned
xfon

Apparently the HTC nexus one will be in very short supply. It sounds like, coupled with the gsn4 only being available in the US, they are just testing the waters to see if there is a market for these devices. I don't expect the nexus program go anytime soon
http://www.cultofandroid.com/28216/...but-supplies-will-be-extremely-limited-rumor/

*Yawn* I don't get the appeal of the HTC One. I've used one in person and its okay but it definitely is HTC's swan song.

i5MPvAhpE5UDd.gif

I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that statement since Samsung phones clearly leave a lot to be desired in the design department.

Also, battery life I'm seeing 1.5 days of use with 3hrs of screen time on my Nexus 4 now and beta OS? What the fuck!?

I call bullshit on any single word you post in this forum after the whole xfon fiasco.

*Yawn* I don't get the appeal of the HTC One. I've used one in person and its okay but it definitely is HTC's swan song.

you don't get the appeal of superior build quality, excellent screen, excellent sound, good lowlight images, and a slicker UI.

I wouldn't expect you to since you thought the XFON was gonna be the hotshit and it turns out it's gonna be dogshit but still man.

Bboy AJ

Remember when Pctx wanted us to believe in that "spec out and customize your own xphone" crap? Fuck that guy.

Nicktendo86

you don't get the appeal of superior build quality, excellent screen, excellent sound, good lowlight images, and a slicker UI.

I wouldn't expect you to since you thought the XFON was gonna be the hotshit and it turns out it's gonna be dogshit but still man.
Yeah HTC make the best screens IMHO. If the One had on screen buttons or at least capacitive buttons in the correct order (back, home, recents) the hardware would be PERFECT.

Pctx

Banned
I call bullshit on any single word you post in this forum after the whole xfon fiasco.
Good for you, your opinion is still in the minority tho.

We talking the HTC One w/ Google or the HTC w/ Sense?

Remember when Pctx wanted us to believe in that "spec out and customize your own xphone" crap? Fuck that guy.

*yawn*

Fatalah

Hey pctx, I'll play nice.

Will the XFON models recently cleared by the FCC offer anything revolutionary?

If not hardware, will it be in the way the phones are purchased? (cheap enough to buy without a contract)

Or is merely the fact that the XFON will be Motorola's first all-major-carrier phone since the original Razr?

Nicktendo86

wouldn't help their overall UI being a complete clusterfuck
True that. By all accounts it is going to be a lick of paint to the icons, not much in the way of features. Apple need to pull their finger out, Google made a big push at I/o to help and court developers.

SimleuqiR

I heard Iphone 6 is supposed to have a "flat" and non-shiny iOS look, so Touchwiz will get replaced by Flatwiz pretty soon if true.

iOS 7 friend, iOS 7. Not iPhone 6.

wouldn't help their overall UI being a complete clusterfuck

True that. By all accounts it is going to be a lick of paint to the icons, not much in the way of features. Apple need to pull their finger out, Google made a big push at I/o to help and court developers.

Apple’s Problem Isn’t Skeuomorphism, It’s Services

iOS' UI is not the main problem with the platform though.
Besides Apple's amazing hardware designs, they are seriously lagging behind Android in terms of what can be done with the platform.

I wanted to post that article as a thread, but since I don't own an iPhone I don't want to come off as a troll...and Copy just got banned...again.

Pctx

Banned
Hey pctx, I'll play nice.

Will the XFON models recently cleared by the FCC offer anything revolutionary?

If not hardware, will it be in the way the phones are purchased? (cheap enough to buy without a contract)

Or is merely the fact that the XFON will be Motorola's first all-major-carrier phone since the original Razr?

The specs are what the specs are. The fact that we're getting a Moto phone on all major carriers is a big change for Moto. Stinks that they didn't push the envelop more on the specs but I understand why they didn't; Everyone dumps on the N4 while the newer phones have "better" specs. If there's one thing I learned, the specs really don't make Google hot and bothered.

You act like people still care about your opinions.

Naw, I just don't give a shit about yours. Tell you what tho, I'll add you to my ignore list so that remedies that problem.

Just because he was wrong about the xfon doesn't invalidate his opinions. It means we shouldn't listen to his hot tips.
Real talk.

Hey guys, I just got my first Android phone today(Xperia SP), & was wondering if you can recommend a good guide to using Android as I don't find it to be very intuitive especially coming from a WP7 phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom