• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtop

Uhhh, no way there's no LTE on any model. I'm guessing that's true only for the model sold through the play store.

which still makes no sense to me. att has lte and tmobile is supposed to launch theirs next year. why not include it in the gsm phones?

I laugh my ass off every time I see people look at the LG Nexus leak and assume that this is it. That's exactly what we're getting, and we're only getting that.

There will obviously be an LTE version, and there will obviously be a version with more storage. I love to call companies stupid all the time because it's so easy! But no one is that stupid. Just wait till it's officially announced.

Does anyone remember when the Galaxy S3 prototype had 8gb of storage?

tino

Banned
I laugh my ass off every time I see people look at the LG Nexus leak and assume that this is it. That's exactly what we're getting, and we're only getting that.

There will obviously be an LTE version, and there will obviously be a version with more storage. I love to call companies stupid all the time because it's so easy! But no one is that stupid. Just wait till it's officially announced.

Does anyone remember when the Galaxy S3 prototype had 8gb of storage?

Why not? iPhone didn't have LTE until 1 month ago. Its a 400 bux phone.

Why not? iPhone didn't have LTE until 1 month ago. Its a 400 bux phone.
apple is a completely different company. They also didn't have a bigger screen until just now. They always wait till late to do things.

I'm not saying there won't be a cheaper model, there probably will be. But to assume that THAT'S IT is pretty outlandish. I mean could it be? Anything is possible in the android space, but I seriously seriously doubt it.

"review" for the LG nexus, use google translate: http://tech.onliner.by/2012/10/12/lg-nexus-4-review/

I put review in quotes because obviously the phone isn't running final software and who knows what will be different in launch but it's worth a look for all the new high quality pictures, especially ones comparing it to the galaxy nexus. Spoiler alert, this phone looks better.

He also mentioned on XDA that the battery "seems to be 1500MaH" not sure what "Seems to be" means, but yeah, that definitely can't be it for launch because that would be a horribad battery. I expect some differences there. If not, total fail.

But yeah, goes to show that this is indeed what it is, just a prototype. You simply can't ship a product like that with such a small battery, simply cannot.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Предварительный обзор смартфона LG Nexus 4

...I understand completely

I translated it

edit: I'm not gonna lie, it's growing on me. I like the smooth black...everything

tino

Banned
"review" for the LG nexus, use google translate: http://tech.onliner.by/2012/10/12/lg-nexus-4-review/

I put review in quotes because obviously the phone isn't running final software and who knows what will be different in launch but it's worth a look for all the new high quality pictures, especially ones comparing it to the galaxy nexus. Spoiler alert, this phone looks better.

He also mentioned on XDA that the battery "seems to be 1500MaH" not sure what "Seems to be" means, but yeah, that definitely can't be it for launch because that would be a horribad battery. I expect some differences there. If not, total fail.

But yeah, goes to show that this is indeed what it is, just a prototype. You simply can't ship a product like that with such a small battery, simply cannot.

This Nexus 4 is 1280 X720 WHA?

SimleuqiR

That's a Nexus alright:

d400763f9829be4333e51c9ae85f4b92_1350044095.jpg

I think the fact that the back of the phone is flat is awesome! It will be much thinner than the Galaxy Nexus for sure.

I don't need it to be thinner. I need it to have much better battery life.
didn't the Gnex have a 1750mah battery? Definitely gonna ship with something better than that.

For reference, if it is any indication, the Optimus G runs on a 2100mah battery. I stand by what I said before, 2100 is perfectly acceptable. 2500 would be perfect.

The Android team is going HAM now...

I guess they finally decided to hop on it right after that android police article haha. They've fixed three annoyances already and now we finally get pinch to zoom in Gmail.

Now all I want is my unified messaging

i came here to post this ish...

Google, or should I say Android Team is on a roll (at least with annoyances)

hopefully they'll pick up on the annoyance of releasing a nexus phone with subpar hardware and no microsd slot.

Talon

Hmm. The comparison shot sort of reminds me of the Bold 9000 -> Bold 9900. Went from plastic to a metal piece around the edges and got flatter/thinner.

didn't the Gnex have a 1750mah battery? Definitely gonna ship with something better than that.

For reference, if it is any indication, the Optimus G runs on a 2100mah battery. I stand by what I said before, 2100 is perfectly acceptable. 2500 would be perfect.

Not necessarily. The Nexus 4 will have an S4 processor, so even if the battery is smaller, it will definitely get a lot more mileage out of it due to the processor being infinitely more power efficient than the OMAP.

Not necessarily. The Nexus 4 will have an S4 processor, so even if the battery is smaller, it will definitely get a lot more mileage out of it due to the processor being infinitely more power efficient than the OMAP.
I don't see how it's physically possible the final hardware includes a 1500mah battery. Makes no sense in life. I still say 2100 sounds about right. 2100 plus the extra efficiency should make it pretty damn good. Less than 1750 with added efficiency won't make it significantly better.

malyce

The SAMOLED HD display on the Galaxy Nexus would laugh at your S4 Pro processor, its efficiency and your 1500mah battery.

Did that Belarusian review say that it is an LCD with a pentile RGB matrix??

Wow, if this nexus is pentile, with LCD, i'm good on passing on this one. Might hop on a GNote 2 or a maybe a GS3...unbelievable.

i know the GS3 is pentile, but it also has so much more going for it. tempted to see if AT&T will release a GS3 +

I would be all over the One X+ if they would have gone full 2GB ram and added a microSD card slot. But they did not...they skimped on features and just changed the SoC back to Tegra...hmmm, i have been disappointed in the phone market lately.

Can't one phone just have everything? if GS3 had an LCD (or even SAMOLED) screen with a true RGB stripe matrix, and then add in the S4 Pro, it would be the perfect phone...

although i'm willing to give up on the screen, as long as they release a plus with an Exynos or S4 Pro, updated A15 Exynos would be nice, as we would probably get back the Wolfson DAC that the US GS3 lacks.

In other news, I think i'm getting a new tahoe tomorrow, so happy about that.

Garbage specs. Why the fuck can't anyone make a "flagship" 4.3" or less phone?

Wirefly: Droid RAZR M vs iPhone 5

Wow, if this nexus is pentile, with LCD, i'm good on passing on this one. Might hop on a GNote 2 or a maybe a GS3...unbelievable.

i know the GS3 is pentile, but it also has so much more going for it. tempted to see if AT&T will release a GS3 +

I would be all over the One X+ if they would have gone full 2GB ram and added a microSD card slot. But they did not...they skimped on features and just changed the SoC back to Tegra...hmmm, i have been disappointed in the phone market lately.

Can't one phone just have everything? if GS3 had an LCD (or even SAMOLED) screen with a true RGB stripe matrix, and then add in the S4 Pro, it would be the perfect phone...

although i'm willing to give up on the screen, as long as they release a plus with an Exynos or S4 Pro, updated A15 Exynos would be nice, as we would probably get back the Wolfson DAC that the US GS3 lacks.

what you need is a Galaxy Note II in your life.

also, Stripe = |||
Matrix = not |||
it's either Stripe or Matrix
and it's either RGB or Pentile

I don't know what translator you're using but it sounds like it's clearly saying the screen is IPS and not pentile. Unless I'm misreading here.

So other than really minor stuff, whats really left that will be a big "Oh its nice to finally have that!". I'm thinking unified messaging, I'm at a loss after that though. I would love for the Playstore to allow an Airdroid like function when accessed from a PC. But I'm sure thats a pipe dream.

I think something I'd really love would be the ability to choose what music to store offline on a device from the Play Music site on my browser. Would be very helpful for me.

buhdeh

They still need a remote wipe function. Something like find my phone on iOS so we can track, lock, locate, and wipe the phone remotely. Even BlackBerry's have this feature.

SimleuqiR

Hmmm this won't install on my N7, says an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed

That's exactly what the instructions state.

The Gmail 4.2 APK is signed by Google, but with a different key than the one in the Play Store (we checked the signatures - they differ). One is probably the test key and the other the production key. For this reason, you can't simply install it as an update and therefore need to be rooted with the ability to mount the /system directory for writing in order to remove the existing Gmail APK.

I'll just wait. Good to see things are moving forward. Though this Gmail is no captain Sparrow.

49562-captain-jack-sparrow-jack-sparow-funny-face.jpg

why are people so surprised about the new Nexus? the Nexus One was the only one that was truly top of the line in every aspect at it's launch date.

the Nexus S was solid because the Hummingbird had a beast GPU, but it wasn't top tier. the Galaxy Nexus ushered in 720p screens but it wasn't top tier.

Why would people download some possibly buggy incomplete version of the new gmail. Are people that anxious to pinch to zoom or something. Just wait for the official thang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom