• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
LG gives up too easily. And why jump to frickin Firefox OS before Windows Phone? They made first Gen phones and then quit. Although, Nokia has a monopoly on that platform now so maybe it is better that they seek a blue ocean.

edit: verge updated their article. LG isn't making the nexus 5, but it would be open to future nexus devices after all. Makes sense.

so, is it Sony's turn to shine or... Samsung Nexus Note 5.8 - coming fall 2013

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey guys, I just got my first Android phone today(Xperia SP), & was wondering if you can recommend a good guide to using Android as I don't find it to be very intuitive especially coming from a WP7 phone.

It's not that it's unintuitive. It's that you're looking to do things the way you're used to doing it.

Talon

I really liked my HP Veer :/

zoolander-phone_fgo7F_52.jpg

Fatalah

The specs are what the specs are. The fact that we're getting a Moto phone on all major carriers is a big change for Moto. Stinks that they didn't push the envelop more on the specs but I understand why they didn't; Everyone dumps on the N4 while the newer phones have "better" specs. If there's one thing I learned, the specs really don't make Google hot and bothered.

So will be the "hotness factor" of the XFON? i.e. Nexus-like software updates, a low price point from the Play Store, insane battery life?

To be blunt, what will make people buy this phone?

It's not that it's unintuitive. It's that you're looking to do things the way you're used to doing it.

My WP was my first smartphone & it was simple to use (mainly because it had a setup procedure that was well thought out), it's not as if I'm trying to pin things to my Start screen, I'm just trying to fetch my E-mail & it seems incapable of doing so(it keeps giving me an error instead of asking me for a 2-step code).

There has been literally no explanation of any of the Android terms that may be new to people(difference between a widget & an app?) & it leaves a terrible first impression.

Groof

My WP was my first smartphone & it was simple to use (mainly because it had a setup procedure that was well thought out), it's not as if I'm trying to pin things to my Start screen, I'm just trying to fetch my E-mail & it seems incapable of doing so(it keeps giving me an error instead of asking me for a 2-step code).

There has been literally no explanation of any of the Android terms that may be new to people(difference between a widget & an app?) & it leaves a terrible first impression.

Coming from WP I'm not surprised you don't know what an app is.

App = program, widget = live tile like thing you place on the home screen. Which e-mail app are you using?

Coming from WP I'm not surprised you don't know what an app is.

Ice cold(although outside of the lack of games I found the things I needed all pretty much had apps).

App = program, widget = live tile like thing you place on the home screen. Which e-mail app are you using?

Ahh, that makes sense. I was trying to use the Gmail app but it just stays on the waiting to sync screen or returns an error.

Groof

Ahh, that makes sense. I was trying to use the Gmail app but it just stays on the waiting to sync screen or returns an error.
If you're using a Google account it should work by just logging in to the device with it. Also check if you have sync on for your account in the device's settings.
If it's anything else you should use the Email app instead.

Pctx

Banned
So will be the "hotness factor" of the XFON? i.e. Nexus-like software updates, a low price point from the Play Store, insane battery life?

To be blunt, what will make people buy this phone?

Motorola enterprise features, great radio, compelling hardware, entry point (e.g. price) and software updates.

Mods trolling? This is like the 3rd time they have done that. Rebanned him nearly immediately. One of the times it seemed that it was for no good reason.

No, it was because he fucked up in the Kevincow suicide bid thread. He thought it was a joke/wasn't serious and said something along the lines of "I hope so" in response to the fact that this user was potentially suicidal. It was like the second post in the thread. He realized it was serious afterwards and apologized, but too late to save himself from being banned. He feels really sorry now and is worried everyone will think he's a douche. He's out for a month.

In addition his previous ban was self imposed to give himself some time to put together some work without the distractions of GAF.

Nicktendo86

Help me guys, my fiancé has joined the dark side and got an iPhone 5. Her reaction to it after booting up? "Is that it?" Lol. I've held an iPhone 5 before but my god, as nice as it looks it is horrible to hold isn't it. The chamfered edges feel all weird on my fingers, it is actually unpleasant. It really is a phone that was designed to be looked at, not used. Oh and for anyone who says the iPhone is easier to use is insane, the log in process is about twice as long as a nexus!

I finally got my invitation to pick up Glass. Sigh... should I do it? I can't code, so even if I come up with a cool app idea, I can't do much about it. I'd be dipping into my small savings for the $1500.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I finally got my invitation to pick up Glass. Sigh... should I do it? I can't code, so even if I come up with a cool app idea, I can't do much about it. I'd be dipping into my small savings for the $1500.
I knew this would happen. People entering the contest without being willing to pay. And people like me who have no issue paying got bumped the invite.

Honestly, if you have to consider price, I wouldn't get it. It's not worth it yet, value wise.

Or he could give the invite to you.

Does anyone know if a TWRP backup with all options checked backs up the kernel? Like, if I flash a non-touchwiz rom and go back to stock via recovery, will it flash the appropriate kernel back?

Or he could give the invite to you.

Does anyone know if a TWRP backup with all options checked backs up the kernel? Like, if I flash a non-touchwiz rom and go back to stock via recovery, will it flash the appropriate kernel back?

Yup, I believe so. That's why devs always say to make a back up when trying out a different kernel or Rom.

You can also check the kernel built in the settings.

Nicktendo86

The N7 has sold well, hasn't it? We can expect an N7 every year from now on I would imagine.

The N10 seems like it was DOA by comparison. I wonder if Google will chase the iPad market again this year.
Its like the N10 was sent out to die. Supply issues at launch, I've not seen it in any shops (is it even available outside of then play store?) and, even though it is cheaper than the iPad I still consider it slightly too expensive. Its like Google have these great products and they are not sure if they want to sell them!

Bboy AJ

I love my Nexus 10.

It does.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The N10 serves the same point as the Chromebook Pixel kinda. They probably don't expect it to sell a ton but strategically they need something in the high end so no one else (in Android) can scoop it out from under them.

Pctx

Banned
The N10 serves the same point as the Chromebook Pixel kinda. They probably don't expect it to sell a ton but strategically they need something in the high end so no one else (in Android) can scoop it out from under them.

Hence why everyone is about ready to pop when it comes to "needing" a Nexus 7 refresh it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom