• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

That's exactly my set up right now on the One. Long press back button for menu(no annoying 3 dots on the screen). Long press home for Google now and double tap for the app switcher.

its a simple mod. Somebody probably will make a mod the day its release.
That's probably the best of a bad situation. Such a jankey solution though to a 2013 smartphone.

huh? jankey?
well the One is arguably the best Android phone out right now..

i like how people call amazing solutions brought forth by the openness of Android 'Janky' instead of amazing. seriously, that people actually investigated and enabled this is a truly great feat. i'm STILL baffled that HTC didn't have a button there in the first place.

'Janky' and 'Fragmentation' are such useless buzzkill words tossed about to blanket anything cool.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Rumours that Samsung have decided to use Intel Atom Clovertrail for its soon to be announced Galaxy Tab 3.
Would be a huge boost for Intel in the mobile space if its true.

Nicktendo86

i like how people call amazing solutions brought forth by the openness of Android 'Janky' instead of amazing. seriously, that people actually investigated and enabled this is a truly great feat. i'm STILL baffled that HTC didn't have a button there in the first place.

'Janky' and 'Fragmentation' are such useless buzzkill words tossed about to blanket anything cool.
Oh please don't get me wrong, I love and admire the work people have done to make mods like this. What I mean is they shouldn't have to if it wasn't for the idiotic button layout HTC employed.

Jank is a term used by the Android team a hell of a lot in regards to Jellybean, ie the idea being able to remove jank from the OS wherever possible. I don't think it was ever an intention to use it as a blanket to smother anything cool, it was more a term referring to the idea of getting the OS to run at a standard 60fps and do away with things like overdraw and stuttery animations. In that context it makes sense, and is not a buzzkill word. In other contexts it doesn't quite line up, such as the example you were referring to. I don't think it's overdone or tossed around liberally, certainly not in the way fragmentation is/was. Speaking of which "fragmentation" seems to have went a lot quieter in the media of late, mostly because the press have realised that having different versions of Android running on hardware is not a barrier to sales, much like it isn't with windows and that the predicted fragmentation apocalypse isn't coming.

Back to IMPORTANT THINGS. I wonder what motorola's version of late summer is for the moto x. I hope it's july/august and not end of september or something.

If it has the s800 and a big battery (likely), then I'm getting that shit instead of the nexus 5. I'm assuming there will be a google edition of it considering that's the new thing to do.

Nicktendo86

I don't understand why Samsung, who produce their own chips, would go out and buy elsewhere? Is there a simple explanation I am missing?

more good news for Stock Android lovers:

no worries about that pesky and confusing FM Tuner that requires a heaphone cable to be plugged in on the HTC One Google Edition

no worries about the space cluttering Zoes and other confusing camera bloatware

no worries about enabling or disabling Beats Audio processing, it's always on (but not always online :p)

and no worries about that strange power/button IR port combination since the IR functionality will be disabled. it's just a power button now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...tc-camera-features-and-no-beats-audio-switch/

It's about a balance though isn't it? Absolutely there will be some key features that people love and need to have and the stock HTC One will not be the right option for them.

But on the flip side for those of us who have never used the FM radio, realise that Beats audio is frankly nothing more than a marketing term to sell overpriced headphones and don't really value those extra features over guaranteed, fast updates the OEM skinned HTC One isn't a great option. That said, I love some of the features in the HTC camera and hope they come to stock. There's always the trade off between having stock and thus the latest version of Android, but missing out on features only found in skinned OEM phones. As the years have went past the genuinely useful features in non stock rom's have found their way into vanilla Android, meaning that it's not the drawback it once was. And that helps by forcing the OEM's to innovate features on top of stock Android to justify their skins. Which is precisely why we have things like Zoe, smart stay etc. And when these features are integrated into stock the OEM's will need to innovate again. And so on.

Back to IMPORTANT THINGS. I wonder what motorola's version of late summer is for the moto x. I hope it's july/august and not end of september or something.

If it has the s800 and a big battery (likely), then I'm getting that shit instead of the nexus 5. I'm assuming there will be a google edition of it considering that's the new thing to do.
KcOx1s3l.jpg

I don't understand why Samsung, who produce their own chips, would go out and buy elsewhere? Is there a simple explanation I am missing?
Supply and demand. They sell their own stuff to 3rd parties and also buy 3rd party stuff based on production schedule.

Didn't you just get an s4

Pctx

Banned
It's about a balance though isn't it? Absolutely there will be some key features that people absolutely love and want to have and the stock HTC One will not be the right option.

But absolutely for some (read me) who have never used the FM radio, and realise that Beats audio is frankly nothing more than a marketing term to sell overpriced headphones the extra features really don't matter. That said, I love some of the features in the HTC camera and hope they come to stock. There's always the trade off between having stock and having the latest version of Android and missing out on skinned oem phones. As the years have went past though the genuinely useful features in non stock rom's have found their way into vanilla android, meaning that it's not the drawback it once was.

And that helps by forcing the OEM's to innovate features on top of stock Android to justify their skins. Which is pecisely why we have things like zoe, smart stay etc.

This is the fork that Google is making hardware manufactures come to gripes with:

You will not hold back Android because of your shit.
Your "shit" is basically doable by software updates via the Play Store.
If you are too stupid to get that to work, then engineer the phone to use the AOSP driver base or better yet, write drivers for it for everyone!

The trojan horse method that Google is doing is quite brilliant!

Didn't you just get an s4

I got an HTC One and I don't shy away from selling phones lol. I can get a new phone every year on my phone plan so it's really no biggy to sell one off.

Basically I go through 2 phones just about every year. One every 6 months ISH, sometimes less. Unless I'm SUPREMELY satisfied.

This is the fork that Google is making hardware manufactures come to gripes with:

You will not hold back Android because of your shit.
Your "shit" is basically doable by software updates via the Play Store.
If you are too stupid to get that to work, then engineer the phone to use the AOSP driver base or better yet, write drivers for it for everyone!

The trojan horse method that Google is doing is quite brilliant!

I don't see that at all. Google Play services is the method by which they are trying to make the fragmentation argument obsolete. But I don't think they think for a second that skinned OEM handsets are holding Android back. Quite the opposite. Don't make the mistake of thinking that if a manufacturer puts stock Android on a phone that it's guaranteed that it will receive fast, timely updates. Skin's may slow down updates, but in isolation they cannot be blamed for a lack of Android updates. That has more to do with $$$.

Toki767

I don't see that at all. Google Play services is the method by which they are trying to make the fragmentation argument obsolete. But I don't think they think for a second that skinned OEM handsets are holding Android back. Quite the opposite. Don't make the mistake of thinking that if a manufacturer puts stock Android on a phone that it's guaranteed that it will receive fast, timely updates. Skin's may slow down updates, but in isolation they cannot be blamed for a lack of Android updates. That has more to do with $$$.

Yeah...it's becoming more apparent that HTC and Samsung will still be responsible for updating Android on these devices in a timely manner.

HTC First will get 4.2.2 any day now...

Blackhead

Redarse
That hasn't been confirmed. I believe when the GS4 GE was originally announced they said Samsung would be responsible for it.

Huh? Who said?

The Nexus Experience Galaxy S 4 - What We Know:
Anandtech said:
Gccz1L1.jpg

...Lastly, I'm fairly certain that Google is using the "Nexus user experience" in place of the previous "Google experience device" branding which it used previously. This does however mean updates are indeed delivered by Google and not some other entity. Matias Duarte referred to this work with Samsung to bring an SGS4 with Nexus experience directly during the later Android fireside chat...

One would hope Google is not so stupid as to give Intel anything but token support.

Why? Intel has (finally) started taking smartphone/tablet SoCs more seriously. No one using ARM can touch Intel x86 in raw performance, what they've needed to do is get performance/W to a reasonable level.

Google should support any platform which is openly available. Their OS is open-sourced, after all. Even if they don't do it, someone else will port it. From what I gather, Intel and Google have already worked together to make the x86 port of Android used in the Droid RAZR i.

One would hope Google is not so stupid as to give Intel anything but token support.

That statement doesn't make any sense. Regardless of your personal feelings towards Intel why would Google not want one of, if not the most innovative and successful chip makers in the world helping to innovate in the mobile space and push cpu/gpu mobile processors forward?

Hey it worked for Nintendo when they pissed off Sony something awful right? Oh.

Sony just (lol) rolled out Jelly Bean for the Xperia S, I update, install Google Now and...'Sorry I didn't catch that try speaking again'

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuu

unknownsoldier originalthinking

My feeling toward Intel is driven by the fact that they are a textbook example of a monopoly. I guarantee you if they get a reasonable foothold within the space it will be all out assault on ARMs position and once they push ARM out the price gouging shall commence. Intel do not play nice with anyone Look what happened to AMD they had no hope of ever making it above 45% market share in x86 but Intel still felt the need to bribe OEMS not to stock AMD products. Intel will only innovate when they are threatened aside from that it's profit maximisation all the way.

There are 2 reasons computers today cost as much as they do one is Microsoft the other is Intel. No one in hardware makes the profit margins Intel does http://ft.com/cms/s/0/ae8deaa8-a6cd-11e2-885b-00144feabdc0.html

50% gross margin they are clearly taking the piss that is Apple territory of profits and I like my low priced Nexus phones thank you

VPhys

Damn, all those cool features are gone? Awful. Why would anyone want the stock version of the One with less features? Just for the updates? Fuck that.

I agree. The stock version of the HTC One is now the gimped version.

I think 2013 this is the first year I prefer skins to stock Android, or at least, the features that come along with those skins.

I hope that existing S4's can somehow be flashed to make it the same as the Google Edition

If the hardware is identical, then all they need to do is make it take an unlocked bootloader. Apparently the current tool (Loki) only bypasses the bootloader, it can't overwrite it. From what I gather, top hackers are working on breaking the S4 bootloader.

If the hardware is identical, then all they need to do is make it take an unlocked bootloader. Apparently the current tool (Loki) only bypasses the bootloader, it can't overwrite it. From what I gather, top hackers are working on breaking the S4 bootloader.

My guess is that the hardware will be 100 percent identical, doesn't make sense to manufacture a different hardware. And for sure the top hacker/developers with find out a way.

jokkir

Only the AT&T and Verizon S4 bootloaders are locked from my researching. So maybe the TMO and other variants can flash it without much hassle

EDIT - Said unlocked instead of locked whoops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom